Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

When will the year be for the Pohlad's to go "all in"?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
salamander

When will the year be for the Pohlad's to go "all in"?

Post by salamander »

Is the answer "never"?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: When will the year be for the Pohlad's to go "all in"?

Post by HeHateMe »

Never.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pmNever.
Sadly, you think like a Pohlad and this answer is why the Pohlad's are the worst owners in all of sports.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Has any Pohlad ever gone "all in" since 1986?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Why a plural?

Jim is the guy...

(As you continue this, why do you think I called you a "troll" in the brackets?)
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

salamander wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:04 pm
Sadly, you think like a Pohlad and this answer is why the Pohlad's are the worst owners in all of sports.
That would be the Wilf's.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

JPM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 pm
:lol:

Finally, a glimpse of the past CG
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Wilf's hands down the worst. Worse than Glen Taylor and that's almost impossible.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm
JPM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 pm
:lol:

Finally, a glimpse of the past CG
And another dumbass response :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Goldtard still loves the queenies :lol:
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

salamander wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm Is the answer "never"?
Describe what "all in" is to you? Are you going to pay Kimbrel or Kuechel what they want? Seems like all 30 teams have said no to their price.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

ok
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm Why a plural?

Jim is the guy...

(As you continue this, why do you think I called you a "troll" in the brackets?)
Carl then Jim. (Said it before)

Because you're upset that I'm vocalizing how sick I am of decade after decade after decade of basement dweller spending?
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 am
Describe what "all in" is to you? Are you going to pay Kimbrel or Kuechel what they want? Seems like all 30 teams have said no to their price.
I'll tell you what's not going all in, spending below league average.

They got a publically funded stadium. They lose all rights to the "are you going to pay..." response after that. Every owner does.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am

They got a publically funded stadium. They lose all rights to the "are you going to pay..." response after that. Every owner does.
They signed Polanco and Kepler to long term deals before the season. Those were smart baseball decisions. Again, what are you going to do?
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 am

They signed Polanco and Kepler to long term deals before the season. Those were smart baseball decisions. Again, what are you going to do?
Those are smart baseball decisions. I like what this new regime has done and I've said that already. Could you imagine what this new regime could do with an owner willing to try and win?

What I want is for this team, at a minimum, is an attempt to make a run. When this team has been in position to make a run, it deals off it's own players and goes into bottom third in spending. Can we go into top third in spending during those times and make a run? Then we can go back into bottom third in spending while we rebuild.

What I want is ebb and flow of spending that mirrors where we're at as a team and an organization. We have never done that. Ever. Even after they promised they would after getting over 600 million in public funding for a new stadium.

What they can do right now is sign bullpen. There's two right now that are good to great players.

Now that the Pohlads (Carl and Jim) have been doing this for decades, now I want them to be the #1 spending team because that's just as laughable as the multiple decades of basement dweller spending we've gone through.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 am
The Replacements wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 am

Those are smart baseball decisions. I like what this new regime has done and I've said that already. Could you imagine what this new regime could do with an owner willing to try and win?

What I want is for this team, at a minimum, is an attempt to make a run. When this team has been in position to make a run, it deals off it's own players and goes into bottom third in spending. Can we go into top third in spending during those times and make a run? Then we can go back into bottom third in spending while we rebuild.

What I want is ebb and flow of spending that mirrors where we're at as a team and an organization. We have never done that. Ever. Even after they promised they would after getting over 600 million in public funding for a new stadium.

What they can do right now is sign bullpen. There's two right now that are good to great players.

Now that the Pohlads (Carl and Jim) have been doing this for decades, now I want them to be the #1 spending team because that's just as laughable as the multiple decades of basement dweller spending we've gone through.
Where do you see those numbers?

Bottom line....Hennepin County contributed $350M into the project.....
The Twins have paid for everything else.
If you don't live in Hennepin County, you haven't paid 1 penny towards the ballpark.

Troll.
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:01 pm

If you don't live in Hennepin County, you haven't paid 1 penny towards the ballpark.

Troll.
After interest it's been about $650 mil. It was in the Star Tribune awhile back.

Sorry that you're so angry at me for wanting good owners. You can call me a troll all you want, you'd be wrong though.
All I want is good ownership. Hell, I'd even take average ownership at this point.
What you're seeing now a fan who's built up 3 decades of watching Twins ownership suck and is sick of it.
Stop acting like a petulant child who's offended because someone else has a different opinion.
Last edited by salamander on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Troll.
After interest it's been about $650 mil. It was in the Star Tribune awhile back.

Sorry that you're so angry at me for wanting good owners. You can call me a troll all you want, you'd be wrong though.
All I want is good ownership. Hell, I'd even take average ownership at this point.
What you're seeing now a fan who's built up 3 decades of watching Twins ownership suck and is sick of it.
Stop acting like a petulant child who's offended because someone else has a different opinion.
http://m.startribune.com/as-stadium-dea ... 507429552/
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Troll.

I'd have to go back and find the article but my arguement stand whether it's 350 mil or 650 mil.
Please stop acting like a troll and answer the OP question.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Also:
The $555 million ballpark and its surrounding infrastructure were built with $350 million in funding from the county, or $675 million total with interest.
http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 410730375/
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Also:
The $555 million ballpark and its surrounding infrastructure were built with $350 million in funding from the county, or $675 million total with interest.
http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 410730375/
Read your own article. (Which is over 2 years old)
That was based on interest that won't happen because it will be paid off a decade earlier.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:41 pm

I'd have to go back and find the article but my arguement stand whether it's 350 mil or 650 mil.
What's going "all in"?

A team that is obviously in a rebuilding situation...(very young and unproven)
That is a time to suddenly say "go for it"?
Were they supposed to have bumped their payroll $200M and told the young players enjoy their time back in Rochester? (The few that have options remaining, the rest are DFA'd)

There is no logic to your argument.
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 pm
What's going "all in"?

Were they supposed to have bumped their payroll $200M and told the young players enjoy their time back in Rochester? (The few that have options remaining, the rest are DFA'd)

I already answered that question.

When should the team go all in? Why do you not want to answer that? I have yet to see this team go all in and I've been watching for decades (plural).

The only one here who has no logic is you. I'm done waiting. The time is now. The time will always be now for me until they do it which I have never seen because the pohlads have been the worst owners in all of sports. Your little scenario is ridiculous and not what I'm even talking about.

It almost seems like you're angry because I think the pohlads should go all in some time before the next century.
salamander

Post by salamander »

And why do you ignore most posts that aren't related to this issue and only attack the posts that are related to this issue.

That's what a troll would do.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 pm And why do you ignore most posts that aren't related to this issue and only attack the posts that are related to this issue.

That's what a troll would do.
Huh?
Are you aware of my history on Twins chat?

I'll discuss any subject...

(A couple of years ago, when the "casual" bit disappeared....I wound up starting almost 2/3s of the GDTs)

People might not "like" me......but nobody will question my passion for this team....(50+ years of it in my life...)

Troll?
Attack me instead of acknowledging you are wrong.....
who does that?
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:32 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 pm

What's going "all in"?

I already answered that question.

When should the team go all in? Why do you not want to answer that? I have yet to see this team go all in and I've been watching for decades (plural).

The only one here who has no logic is you. I'm done waiting. The time is now. The time will always be now for me until they do it which I have never seen because the pohlads have been the worst owners in all of sports. Your little scenario is ridiculous and not what I'm even talking about.

It almost seems like you're angry because I think the pohlads should go all in some time before the next century.
He's right. Now is not the time to go all in.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

They don't ever go for it. You go back to 2010 when they had two MVPs on their team, and their big moves were Thome and JJ Hardy

Coming off a 96 win season in 2002, their big move was David Lamb

in 2006 they had the best rotation the Twins have possibly ever had, and did literally nothing to help that roster out for the playoffs.

Those are three examples in recent history of when the Twins could have made some big splashes, and just sat on their hands.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:56 pm They don't ever go for it. You go back to 2010 when they had two MVPs on their team, and their big moves were Thome and JJ Hardy

Coming off a 96 win season in 2002, their big move was David Lamb

in 2006 they had the best rotation the Twins have possibly ever had, and did literally nothing to help that roster out for the playoffs.

Those are three examples in recent history of when the Twins could have made some big splashes, and just sat on their hands.
This. One nice move could of pushed these teams over the top. Pohlad don't care about winning though.

As long as they hit that 2 million attendance record. That's the goal every year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Boys, lets not forget the contributions from Joe Crede, Brett Boone, Shannon Stewart, O-Dawg, and Terry Mulholland okay?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.