Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fire Rocco!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Fire Rocco!

Post by weimy froob »

this will be the go-to thread for all things negative for mr. baldelli. he already cost the team a game yesterday with his youth and inexperience.

:mrgreen:
Small Hands

Re: Fire Rocco!

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 am this will be the go-to thread for all things negative for mr. baldelli. he already cost the team a game yesterday with his youth and inexperience.

I actually don't mind the decision to roll with May in the 7th, and Rogers in the 8th. I might have gone with Hildenbacondoublecheeseburger instead of Parker in the 9th, but that's kind of splitting hairs.

The bats have been pretty much non existent the first two games. That's the reason why we lost yesterday.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 am this will be the go-to thread for all things negative for mr. baldelli. he already cost the team a game yesterday with his youth and inexperience.

I actually don't mind the decision to roll with May in the 7th, and Rogers in the 8th. I might have gone with Hildenbacondoublecheeseburger instead of Parker in the 9th, but that's kind of splitting hairs.

The bats have been pretty much non existent the first two games. That's the reason why we lost yesterday.
i thought the suggestion in the game thread that he pinch-hit for kepler was a good one. also i don't know how much patience i'm going to have with him batting lead-off. i just don't see him being anything other than a sixth or seventh in the order type of guy right now. i like his power right there.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

In today's baseball, each manager has every game planned out with organizational analytics prior to game even starting. Gone are the days of managing with your gut or experience.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 am

In today's baseball, each manager has every game planned out with organizational analytics prior to game even starting. Gone are the days of managing with your gut or experience.
is managing an art or science? it can be both. if it's all about analytics then a half mill a year for the job is still a great gig if you can get it.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 am

i thought the suggestion in the game thread that he pinch-hit for kepler was a good one. also i don't know how much patience i'm going to have with him batting lead-off. i just don't see him being anything other than a sixth or seventh in the order type of guy right now. i like his power right there.
The Kepler lead off topic has been an eye brow raiser, and it's proven to be terrible in the first 2 games. Polanco has actually taken some professional disciplined AB's so far. I think it only makes sense to roll with him at the lead off spot for now. Cron needs to be batting 7th behind Gonzalez and Garver IMO.

My ideal lineup:

Polanco
Schoop
Rosario
Cruz
Gonzalez
Garver
Kep
Buxton

Or

Polanco
Gonzalez
Rosario
Cruz
Garver
Schoop
Kep
Buxton
The Replacements

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 am

is managing an art or science? it can be both. if it's all about analytics then a half mill a year for the job is still a great gig if you can get it.
Rocco was hired because of his great people skills. He's more relatable to players. You hear players in interviews say "he's just like us." It's about getting to most of each player. The science of baseball has made in game managing much easier than years past. They know every stat about pitcher/hitter match ups. They have every situation mapped out.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 am

Is Kep incapable of laying down a bunt? I don't get why RC wouldn't do that in a situation where we just needed a run to extend the game. Just dumb.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

My two cents on the Kepler AB.

That may be a situation where on March 30th you let him swing away and try to drive in the run, but on September 30 in the middle of a pennant chase, you have him lay one down or you PH with Astudillo. I have no problem with the decision. If you believe in Kep enough to have him hit lead off, then you need to stand behind that belief.

As for Kep batting #1, I like it. He takes a lot of walks, and his batting average has been suppressed by an unusually low BABIP that is likely to progress towards the mean in the future. If he can get on at a .340 to .350 clip, that makes him a pretty solid top of the order guy. I also like having a guy with some pop in that spot. Long story longer, I think he deserves more than two games in which the entire team had like 8 guys reach base total before we abandon him in the top spot.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

He coaches like he doesn't play MLB The Show!
Spoiler:
salamander

Post by salamander »

He's new, let him learn. Should he have pinch hit? Sure. Was it some massive erroneous error? No.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

salamander wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 pm He's new, let him learn. Should he have pinch hit? Sure. Was it some massive erroneous error? No.
What can a manager possibly do in baseball that would get that reaction?
Spoiler:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 pm He's new, let him learn. Should he have pinch hit? Sure. Was it some massive erroneous error? No.
Nothing within reason, especially with all the data mangers use in their decision making today. I liken it to playing blackjack. If you hit on a 16 against a face card, bust, and it turns out you would have won by staying, the result of your decision was negative, but it was still the right play based on the odds. You can't control outcomes as a manager. All you can do is put your players in the best situation to succeed and trust the process.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Nothing within reason, especially with all the data mangers use in their decision making today. I liken it to playing blackjack. If you hit on a 16 against a face card, bust, and it turns out you would have won by staying, the result of your decision was negative, but it was still the right play based on the odds. You can't control outcomes as a manager. All you can do is put your players in the best situation to succeed and trust the process.
so how do you know when a manager is good or bad?

seems like its all up to the players.
Spoiler:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:54 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm

so how do you know when a manager is good or bad?

seems like its all up to the players.
There's way more to managing than in-game decisions. Developing players, motivating them, evaluating strengths and weaknesses, etc. 90% of a master's work is done away from the games.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:22 pm My two cents on the Kepler AB.

That may be a situation where on March 30th you let him swing away and try to drive in the run, but on September 30 in the middle of a pennant chase, you have him lay one down or you PH with Astudillo. I have no problem with the decision. If you believe in Kep enough to have him hit lead off, then you need to stand behind that belief.

As for Kep batting #1, I like it. He takes a lot of walks, and his batting average has been suppressed by an unusually low BABIP that is likely to progress towards the mean in the future. If he can get on at a .340 to .350 clip, that makes him a pretty solid top of the order guy. I also like having a guy with some pop in that spot. Long story longer, I think he deserves more than two games in which the entire team had like 8 guys reach base total before we abandon him in the top spot.
on point number one-a game in march means just as much as a game in september fwiw.

on point number two-nobody was calling for the manager to move kepler now-just that a few people are watching-and some with a skeptical eye. we'll see how it all plays out soon enough.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:16 pm

on point number one-a game in march means just as much as a game in september fwiw.

on point number two-nobody was calling for the manager to move kepler now-just that a few people are watching-and some with a skeptical eye. we'll see how it all plays out soon enough.
Small Hands said Kep should bat 8th, so yes, at least one person is calling for the manager to move Kep.

As for your first point, you aren't wrong, but there are also different objectives early in the season than there are late. Giving Kepler that at bat in March might be aimed more towards his development as a hitter than anything else. The team needs him for another 600 plate appearances this year. If taking that tough 9th inning AB against a lefty instead of giving himself up or hitting for him helps him succeed in those spots later, then it was fruitful, even if it didn't work in that instance. In September, your only objective is to win the game and make the playoffs in that spot, so you may play it differently.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

rocco the early front-runner for manager of the year. :coolio:
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

There's way more science these days, but in the end, when science gives you about 50/50 odds, you still have to make a decision with gut and instinct. In other words, science can only tell you so much. Does it factor day to day condition of player health/readiness, weather or large loud crowds at the park? There are a million more factors science doesnt always account for.
The Replacements

minnemike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 am

There's way more science these days, but in the end, when science gives you about 50/50 odds, you still have to make a decision with gut and instinct. In other words, science can only tell you so much. Does it factor day to day condition of player health/readiness, weather or large loud crowds at the park? There are a million more factors science doesnt always account for.
I would bet most teams have already simulated each game many times before the first pitch. I would bet the managing by the gut has been reduced by 90% in most organizations. You still have a few franchises that are more old school.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Small Hands said Kep should bat 8th, so yes, at least one person is calling for the manager to move Kep.

As for your first point, you aren't wrong, but there are also different objectives early in the season than there are late. Giving Kepler that at bat in March might be aimed more towards his development as a hitter than anything else. The team needs him for another 600 plate appearances this year. If taking that tough 9th inning AB against a lefty instead of giving himself up or hitting for him helps him succeed in those spots later, then it was fruitful, even if it didn't work in that instance. In September, your only objective is to win the game and make the playoffs in that spot, so you may play it differently.
I don't think Kep has seen enough AB's at leadoff to make a decision to move him down quite yet. His issue, imo, is cutting down on strikeouts.

Polanco in the #2 spot has been working out really well.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 pm

I get what jes doing, and no it wont last. Hes trying to get a guy with a bunch of talent to view himself as integral to the teams success. If kept could take a step forward this year its be huge for this team, and batting 7th just doesnt call for the same type of preperation and accountability as the top of the order. Kind of a make good situation.

I dont see it lasting through mid may at the latest however.

The team doesnt have a classic leadoff guy so it's not a terrible thing to try and play with the spot a little bit while they figure out what to do with it. I'd personally love to see Tortuga up there, even though hes a much better fit at the 2 spot.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another game where the decision by the manager turned out to be the wrong one and led to a L. just documenting it in the thread.
The Replacements

Any have access to the Athletic? Jayson Stark has a story out about managing in today's game. The title is "Are MLB managers becoming obsolete?' If someone could post or summarize the article, I would appreciate it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 am Any have access to the Athletic? Jayson Stark has a story out about managing in today's game. The title is "Are MLB managers becoming obsolete?' If someone could post or summarize the article, I would appreciate it.

the 4 million dollars a year paydays will be few and far between anyways.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Rocco plays a hunch that friday's game is going to be cancelled and uses his pitchers accordingly he might have been able to get the win last night.
A Kickass Offense

Post by A Kickass Offense »

I've seen enough and I'm dead serious.

3rd win he's already cost the team tonight including the 2nd in a row against a piss poor Toronto team.

He doesn't know shit about fuck.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm I've seen enough and I'm dead serious.

3rd win he's already cost the team tonight including the 2nd in a row against a piss poor Toronto team.

How did Rocco lose them last night's game?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am
A Kickass Offense wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm I've seen enough and I'm dead serious.

he isn't pushing the right buttons with his BP selections. he brings in duffy and maybe they get out of that inning without giving up runs. it's hindsight and that's 20-20, but what he did didn't work.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 am
beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am

he isn't pushing the right buttons with his BP selections. he brings in duffy and maybe they get out of that inning without giving up runs. it's hindsight and that's 20-20, but what he did didn't work.
Isn't that the pitcher's job? Get outs when you're asked to. Duffey was in Rochester on Monday, and now you're saying that he should have been brought in during a high leverage spot over sticking with May, who was absolutely lights out last year?

This is why I have trouble talking baseball with people. Just because something didnt work doesn't make it a bad decision. Trevor May has way more MLB pedigree that Tyler Duffey. Sometimes guys give up runs. A new manager like Rocco has to get a feel for his personnel. Who can do what? What is this guy's best role? That all takes time. Even the best teams lose 60 games. Theres really no use in trying to make grand conclusions based on a random Tuesday night in April.