Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Some Positive News

A place to discuss the MN Twins
flexbuffchest

Some Positive News

Post by flexbuffchest »

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

We got two top 10 prospects.

Lewis #5
Kirilloff #9
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
beetlebum71

Re: Some Positive News

Post by beetlebum71 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

Lewis #5
Kirilloff #9
Both are mature, well rounded players. Let's hope health smiles upon them.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

that's nice butt.......
Spoiler:
Sano/Buxton :(
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 pm that's nice butt.......
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nick Gordon/Tyler Jay
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Great. The problem is, the Twins won't bring these guy's up for another half decade all while we watch bad baseball with the excuse that "These guy's are not ready"
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Spoiler:
Point taken.

I will argue that Kirilloff is a better prospect than Buxton and Sano.

Buxton was always a projection of his athletic abilities with the hope that he could put it together at the plate.

Sano was a top prospect because of his power. They didn’t take into account that he was lazy in those rankings or that he might be a dirt bag human.

Kirilloff on the other hand has worked his butt off to get this high in the rankings. I have been following his rankings since we drafted him in the 1st round. He barely moved in the top 100 until about a year ago.

His dad is a nationally traveling hitting coach so you know he is a students student of hitting and it continues to show in his development at the plate so far. MLB.com said that if Vlad Jr. weren’t in the rankings that Kirilloff would be considered the best hitter in all of the minors.

I think we have a stud on our hands.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Car Ramrod wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 am
Spoiler:
Point taken.

Buxton was always a projection of his athletic abilities with the hope that he could put it together at the plate.

Sano was a top prospect because of his power. They didn’t take into account that he was lazy in those rankings or that he might be a dirt bag human.

Kirilloff on the other hand has worked his butt off to get this high in the rankings. I have been following his rankings since we drafted him in the 1st round. He barely moved in the top 100 until about a year ago.

His dad is a nationally traveling hitting coach so you know he is a students student of hitting and it continues to show in his development at the plate so far. MLB.com said that if Vlad Jr. weren’t in the rankings that Kirilloff would be considered the best hitter in all of the minors.

Buxton was the number 1 prospect in baseball for almost two years. He was being compared to Willy Mays (not joking). He's been the biggest prospect disappointment in team history. Hopefully, that changes this year. Sano had massive hype and lived up to it until he got fat and made shitty life choices. These past failures don't have anything to do with Kirloff or Lewis though. I'm really excited to see what Kirloff does this year in AA? Lewis has me a concerned though. He struggled a bit in high A last year. I hope the was just a blip.
salamander

Post by salamander »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

Lewis #5
Kirilloff #9
"We better not spend until they're great players because they might cost a lot and we'll only be able to keep one of them due to cost and we'll have to sell off every other talented player we have to keep just one of these talented prospects. And then after they retire we'll spend their contract and won't spend above league average because we're basement dwellers and that's not how baseball works. This is our 15 year plan."
-The Pohlads and their Pocket Protectors
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nick Gordon/Tyler Jay
I know it doesn't mean they will be successful but it's nice to see we have 2 top 10 prospects.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm
Spoiler:
Point taken.

Buxton was the number 1 prospect in baseball for almost two years. He was being compared to Willy Mays (not joking). He's been the biggest prospect disappointment in team history. Hopefully, that changes this year. Sano had massive hype and lived up to it until he got fat and made shitty life choices. These past failures don't have anything to do with Kirloff or Lewis though. I'm really excited to see what Kirloff does this year in AA? Lewis has me a concerned though. He struggled a bit in high A last year. I hope the was just a blip.
At least with Buxton he turned into arguably the best defender in the league at a premier position. He isn't close to being the biggest bust when you consider production but hype wise ya you're right.

Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Point taken.

At least with Buxton he turned into arguably the best defender in the league at a premier position. He isn't close to being the biggest bust when you consider production but hype wise ya you're right.
Bust and disappointment are two different things.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I know. I'm just trying keep the hope alive.

Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I know. I'm just trying keep the hope alive.
:beer:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Spoiler:
Point taken.

sounds positive. :thumbsup:
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Spoiler:
Point taken.

I hope you're right :beer:

my point is they are prospects and it's impossible to project, with very few exceptions.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I actually don't mind where Buxton is at. He's an elite defender with time to learn how to hit.
Sure, he's not the return of Kirby Puckett but his batting statistics have shown an upward trend (other than a setback year in 2018).
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:18 pm I actually don't mind where Buxton is at. He's an elite defender with time to learn how to hit.
Sure, he's not the return of Kirby Puckett but his batting statistics have shown an upward trend (other than a setback year in 2018).
That makes no sense with your constant bitching..
Why does he have a pass?
Everything/ everyone else in the organization has to do it NOW!
Up the payroll $130M a year...(which would be really tough considering the young players on the team)
But we'll let this guy learn how to hit at the MLB level while the rest of the team is filled with "bloated" contracts.
BBG

Post by BBG »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am Kirilloff #9
this is the guy who will end up being a MLB star

Write it down, fams
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

BBG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:34 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am Kirilloff #9
this is the guy who will end up being a MLB star

Write it down, fams
I thought it was interesting that Kirilloff will be playing some first base in the minors this year. It indicates he's projected to be a regular as early as next year. Also, Rosario said he's interested in signing a long term deal now. Could the two developments be related?
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:18 pm I actually don't mind where Buxton is at. He's an elite defender with time to learn how to hit.
Why does he have a pass?
Up the payroll $130M a year...(which would be really tough considering the young players on the team)
But we'll let this guy learn how to hit at the MLB level while the rest of the team is filled with "bloated" contracts.
I'm fine with developing players. I'm not fine with banking everything on those players development.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm
Why does he have a pass?
I'm fine with developing players. I'm not fine with banking everything on those players development.
The truth is for the vast majority of teams, drafting and developing players is the only path to success.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Why does he have a pass?
The truth is for the vast majority of teams, drafting and developing players is the only path to success.
Then they lied to get over a half billion dollars in tax payer money for their stadium that has earned them billions.
I also disagree with your statement and think this is how shitty owners who should sell the team think.

You would be right if the Pohlads had shown that they'll keep developed players instead of just shipping them off to be basement dwellers in spending as soon they they become even a tiniest bit expensive. See: The great Mets HOF player Johan Satana.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

Then they lied to get over a half billion dollars in tax payer money for their stadium that has earned them billions.
I also disagree with your statement and think this is how shitty owners who should sell the team think.

You would be right if the Pohlads had shown that they'll keep developed players instead of just shipping them off to be basement dwellers in spending as soon they they become even a tiniest bit expensive. See: The great Mets HOF player Johan Satana.
I have no problem criticizing ownership for not paying to keep good players that are already on the team. I don't believe 90% of the baseball markets can spend high $$$ in free agency and be successful. Johan Santana had 1 really good season with the Mets and 2 decent seasons and 3 non seasons.
Santana’s Mets career amounted to a 46-34 record over four years with a 3.18 ERA and 1.201 WHIP in 109 starts. Is that worth a six-year, $137.5 million dollar contract in 2008? Not for me. My complaint with the Twins is how they approached the trade market and the deal they made. They would have been better off keeping him until the trade deadline and trading him then.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 am
salamander wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

I have no problem criticizing ownership for not paying to keep good players that are already on the team. I don't believe 90% of the baseball markets can spend high $$$ in free agency and be successful. Johan Santana had 1 really good season with the Mets and 2 decent seasons and 3 non seasons.
Santana’s Mets career amounted to a 46-34 record over four years with a 3.18 ERA and 1.201 WHIP in 109 starts. Is that worth a six-year, $137.5 million dollar contract in 2008? Not for me. My complaint with the Twins is how they approached the trade market and the deal they made. They would have been better off keeping him until the trade deadline and trading him then.
All fair points but that's looking back after the deal. There are numerous players the Pohlads have done this with: Hunter, Cuddy, etc.
Look, I've pounded this drum hard and I'd like to move on from it. I'm pissing people off I didn't mean to piss off.

I will never go to a Twins game again until Jim shows me that he's a more willing spender than Carl was.
Until proven otherwise, he's the same as his father. This latest offseason proves that to me.