Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Twins disappointing offseason

A place to discuss the MN Twins
salamander

The Twins disappointing offseason

Post by salamander »

Which MLB teams picked up the most wins this winter

In a way, the Twins may be the most disappointing team on this list. It would be unfair if I said that Marwin Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz don't improve the team's roster, but on a fundamental level I'd have liked to have seen the team do more. After all, Minnesota went after Yu Darvish heavily last winter, and while Darvish obviously was awful and injured in 2018, it suggested the team was willing to go after elite talent in free agency.

Instead, it appears the team payroll, even after adding Cruz and Gonzalez, will go down from last year's $128 million. With Cleveland mostly treading water and ignoring the outfield nearly completely, there's no reason the Twins shouldn't have been at least serious players in the Harper or Machado markets. Joe Mauer's money is better utilized on their new signings, but it's hard to say the Indians should feel much pressure to be more aggressive.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... ins-winter
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Re: The Twins disappointing offseason

Post by salamander »

Let's find homes for Craig Kimbrel and Dallas Keuchel

Minnesota Twins

Current rotation: Jose Berrios, Kyle Gibson, Jake Odorizzi, Michael Pineda, Martin Perez

Rotation rank: 15th

The comment here is similar to the Kimbrel one for Minnesota: The Twins might have the most to gain, considering the gap between their fifth starter and Keuchel and the improved odds of making the playoffs that Keuchel would bring. That rotation ranking feels pretty generous, as there is obvious volatility in what to expect from Pineda (coming off Tommy John surgery) and Perez -- and even Gibson and Odorizzi (his ERA has risen three seasons in a row). They do have youngsters Fernando Romero and Stephen Gonsalves, but Romero might end up in the bullpen, and Gonsalves is more of a 4-A arm unless he learns to throw more strikes.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2623 ... as-keuchel
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Should have been in on Harper and Machado :lol:

Jesus Christ! What a moron.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Pineda was a great pickup
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

There are professionals that think not only the Twins would shell out over 300 million dollars but Machado or Harper would have chosen us? :lol:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

They added wins with Gonzalez.

I didn’t mind their offseason at all.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

I actually loved their off-season. Tookk advantage of a depressed free agent market to load up on players via short-term contracts.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/twins-add-w ... -gonzalez/
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm I actually loved their off-season. Tookk advantage of a depressed free agent market to load up on players via short-term contracts.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/twins-add-w ... -gonzalez/
But they didn't sign Harper, Machado or Kimbrel!!! Cheap asses!!!

I actually agree with you. That comment was for the rest of the board.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

salamander wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm
Which MLB teams picked up the most wins this winter

In a way, the Twins may be the most disappointing team on this list. It would be unfair if I said that Marwin Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz don't improve the team's roster, but on a fundamental level I'd have liked to have seen the team do more. After all, Minnesota went after Yu Darvish heavily last winter, and while Darvish obviously was awful and injured in 2018, it suggested the team was willing to go after elite talent in free agency.

Instead, it appears the team payroll, even after adding Cruz and Gonzalez, will go down from last year's $128 million. With Cleveland mostly treading water and ignoring the outfield nearly completely, there's no reason the Twins shouldn't have been at least serious players in the Harper or Machado markets. Joe Mauer's money is better utilized on their new signings, but it's hard to say the Indians should feel much pressure to be more aggressive.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... ins-winter
What a tired fucking narrative. The Twins were never ever going to replace Mauer's contract with new contracts. Mauer's deal was a one-time thing.

Im suprised they haven't gone after Keuchel. Otherwise, I'm fine with the offseason. I'm tentatively bummed Berrios didnt extend, although I haven't seen the details on that yet, so who knows.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Meat sauce hated the gonzo signing. All you need to know lmao
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This is a .500 team as is.

It's sad and pathetic how their formula always plays out.

They will "Battle" this year and ultimately come up short and be medioce.

It will be called a "Good start for Baldeli"

The year after the Twins will actually have some expectations but the Pohlads won't add enought to help. The team takes a step back to 70 wins.

Yawn!

At least people have quit showing up and filling the Pohlads pockets. This team isn't going to vet anyone to bite either. Who do you really want to show up to the ballpark and watch that they signed?

A whole generation of kids becoming teens doesn't even know what having a good team looks like.

YIKES!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:04 pm This is a .500 team as is.

The year after the Twins will actually have some expectations but the Pohlads won't add enought to help. The team takes a step back to 70 wins.

Yawn!

At least people have quit showing up and filling the Pohlads pockets. This team isn't going to vet anyone to bite either. Who do you really want to show up to the ballpark and watch that they signed?

A whole generation of kids becoming teens doesn't even know what having a good team looks like.

YIKES!
Each year your takes get dumber and dumber. This is the 2nd year with Falvey/Levine and already the organization is in a much better position today and the future. The fact that they were close to .500 with nothing from Buxton (5.2 WAR), Santana (4.8 WAR), Dozier (4.5 WAR) and Sano (2.5 WAR) last year was remarkable. I believe you were the idiot that claimed they would never be able to sign all their draft choices.

Should they spend more? Yes. Should they spend stupid money like the last regime? Absolutely not. I never want to see any Jason Marquis, Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey or Ricky Nolasco signings.

Barring injuries this team will compete for the playoffs this year and be better the following year.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

I liked the signings. Tho it was pretty lackluster with pitchers.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Going to be a BOATLOAD of dingers by our local 9 this season...…"Get to know these guys"!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm Going to be a BOATLOAD of dingers by our local 9 this season...…"Get to know these guys"!!
I love your enthusiasm Munger ( :thumbsup: ) but we all, already know these guys ;)
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

What a bad article.

"The Twins should have at least been players for Machado or Harper"

Would that really have made the offseason better if they put on some charade like they did with Yu, and ended up not getting them?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Give Keuchel 3 years, $50 M and I'll be happy with the offseason.

Berrios
Gibby
Oddorizzi
Pineda
???

That won't get it done. Especially with this bullpen.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Twins had a very good off-season and have composed a much more deep and rounded-out team. At the very least the Twins get a wild card
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Yawn!

YIKES!
Each year your takes get dumber and dumber. This is the 2nd year with Falvey/Levine and already the organization is in a much better position today and the future. The fact that they were close to .500 with nothing from Buxton (5.2 WAR), Santana (4.8 WAR), Dozier (4.5 WAR) and Sano (2.5 WAR) last year was remarkable. I believe you were the idiot that claimed they would never be able to sign all their draft choices.

Should they spend more? Yes. Should they spend stupid money like the last regime? Absolutely not. I never want to see any Jason Marquis, Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey or Ricky Nolasco signings.

Barring injuries this team will compete for the playoffs this year and be better the following year.
Agree with all of this. Need to see how the young guys improve this season before you start throwing around money.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Yawn!

YIKES!

His take is spot fucking on. The Pohlads are the problem and they're the worst owners in all of sports for the exact reasons he laid out.
salamander

Post by salamander »

THE POHLADS ARE SHITTY OWNERS. THEY'RE CHEAP ASSES AND CHICKENSHITS.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Yawn!

YIKES!

His take is spot fucking on. The Pohlads are the problem and they're the worst owners in all of sports for the exact reasons he laid out.
What's your realistic ideal offseason?
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:11 am

To be a top 10 salary team every single year for decades and reaching #1 salary at some point in the next decade. But most importantly, to spend smartly and not pull that crap they did in the last regime where they sign a bunch of shitty players to big contracts and then say, "See spending doesn't always work".

The Pohlads owe us this (at a minimum) after lying to us and breaking their promises to get their publicly funded stadium that has put billions in their pockets.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 pm

To be a top 10 salary team every single year for decades and reaching #1 salary at some point in the next decade. But most importantly, to spend smartly and not pull that crap they did in the last regime where they sign a bunch of shitty players to big contracts and then say, "See spending doesn't always work".

The Pohlads owe us this (at a minimum) after lying to us and breaking their promises to get their publicly funded stadium that has put billions in their pockets.
What specifically did you want them to do this past offseason?
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Spend until they're a top 10 salary (smartly). The Pohlads owe us that at a minimum after all the promise breaking an lying they've done.
A couple starting pitchers and a few relievers + closer?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

salamander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Spend until they're a top 10 salary (smartly). The Pohlads owe us that at a minimum after all the promise breaking an lying they've done.
They should sign Keuchel before ATL or LAA does. He's still very good, and we need him desperately. He reminds me of a Buerhle type. High ground ball rate, and will give you 200 innings if healthy. There are no real options in the minors. I bet he'd take a 3 year deal at this point. Get it done! Kimbrel should be considered as well.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:31 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm

They should sign Keuchel before ATL or LAA does. He's still very good, and we need him desperately. He reminds me of a Buerhle type. High ground ball rate, and will give you 200 innings if healthy. There are no real options in the minors. I bet he'd take a 3 year deal at this point. Get it done! Kimbrel should be considered as well.
The Twins won't ever make a move like this. It's either a no name or someone who is old as dirt.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

They dont "owe" you anything.

What you are asking for would require the Twins to actually lose money..(payroll of that size)

Why should a business be expected to do that?

(And could you supply a source on exactly how many "billions" they have put in their pocket.)

Your bit is getting stale.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm

What you are asking for would require the Twins to actually lose money..(payroll of that size)

(And could you supply a source on exactly how many "billions" they have put in their pocket.)

A bad baseball team is getting stale.

Common really laid into this squad again and Rosen defended like every year. :lol:

We will see how it plays out.

Going to start the season prediction thread?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Sorry, it's a publicly funded stadium.
The Pohlads (and every other owner) lose right to use this argument when they get a publicly funded stadium.

Fact is, the Pohlads are the worst owners in all of sports and that's getting stale.