Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anyone nervous about Pitching Coach Wes Johnson?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Anyone nervous about Pitching Coach Wes Johnson?

Post by Ask Not »

He's known as the Czar of Velocity.
He's never worked at the major league level. He's already got Gonsalves up to 93 in the early spring, Berrios at 96.

It's a different game at the college level when you're pitching once a week for 20 weeks. I'm a little nervous we're either going to see a shorter shelf life or more injury from the pitching staff.

Note: no facts here, just unjustified concern.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Car Ramrod

Re: Anyone nervous about Pitching Coach Wes Johnson?

Post by Car Ramrod »

Ask Not wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 am He's known as the Czar of Velocity.
He's never worked at the major league level. He's already got Gonsalves up to 93 in the early spring, Berrios at 96.

It's a different game at the college level when you're pitching once a week for 20 weeks. I'm a little nervous we're either going to see a shorter shelf life or more injury from the pitching staff.

Honestly did not know that about him.

But after years of watching Twins starting pitchers throw 89-92mph to contact, I will welcome a coach that is trying to max out our pitchers' velocity. It seems like injuries happen no matter what so why not try to strike some people out before it does.

I do get your concerns about the shorter shelf life though, I guess I am in the boat of lets try it out and see what happens.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Like all coaches, pitching coaches get too much credit if the staff performs well and too much blame if they perform poorly.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Still can't believe we took him over Boogie Cousins.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ͺZ
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am Still can't believe we took him over Boogie Cousins.
Love the versatility of a player-coach
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Car Ramrod wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 am
Nancy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 am He's known as the Czar of Velocity.

But after years of watching Twins starting pitchers throw 89-92mph to contact, I will welcome a coach that is trying to max out our pitchers' velocity. It seems like injuries happen no matter what so why not try to strike some people out before it does.
yep. i like the risk to reward move by the twins. pitching to contact didn't get the job done.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ask Not wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 am He's known as the Czar of Velocity.

It seems like we lose pitchers to TJ surgery while teaching our pitchers to pitch to contact and never get above 95 anyways so what would be the difference.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

salamander wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:34 pm

It seems like we lose pitchers to TJ surgery while teaching our pitchers to pitch to contact and never get above 95 anyways so what would be the difference.
This, I said the exact same thing above.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

If your new philosophy is velocity, then eventually the FO starts looking for players to match your wishlist. I could see some wreckage happen initially in the first few years, as the guys coming up, drafted under the old philosophy, may not be acclimated to the demands the new philosophy may have.

This could also just be a bullshit theory I have only to be proven wrong. I guess that's the excitment of a regime change, eh guys?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

I'm nervous about every Twins related situation - players, coaches, front office. I'm going into the season with an open mind on everyone hoping the team plays .500 each month for the whole year. At that point, there will be enough good things going on for me to keep interest.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Velocity doesn't mean squat without the secondary stuff at the major league level. (we all know major league hitters can turn on the 97-100 mph fastball)
i like the new philosophy though.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Car Ramrod wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 pm

You must be a great pitching coach mind.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

salamander wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:17 pm
Car Ramrod wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 pm
You must be a great pitching coach mind.
You must be great at plagiarism.