Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

A place to discuss the MN Twins
mglviks

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

Post by mglviks »

Holy cow 3 major league deals in 3 days!
Springer
Frazier
Oh

Take that agents/players. Guys are starting to sign deals again. Lol at a snails pace.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

mglviks wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm Holy cow 3 major league deals in 3 days!
Springer
Frazier
Oh

Take that agents/players. Guys are starting to sign deals again. Lol at a snails pace.
This is actually crazy. It has been so slow.... :scooter:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

The San Diego Padres and free-agent first baseman Eric Hosmer have agreed to an eight-year, $144 million contract, according to multiple reports.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am The San Diego Padres and free-agent first baseman Eric Hosmer have agreed to an eight-year, $144 million contract, according to multiple reports.
Expect Moose and JD to sign soon now.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am The San Diego Padres and free-agent first baseman Eric Hosmer have agreed to an eight-year, $144 million contract, according to multiple reports.
Pqdres got a good deal on this. They don't have to pay him much past 33 I guess. Just heard them talking on the radio and they said it was brilliant by San Diego.

Small market team, not very good and spending some money. How much have the Twins dropped so far? Like 8 million? :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Good. Hosmer had a knack for having 4 games series where he hit like .700 against the Twins, even last year. Glad we won't see him much anymore.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:30 pm
Pqdres got a good deal on this. They don't have to pay him much past 33 I guess. Just heard them talking on the radio and they said it was brilliant by San Diego.

Small market team, not very good and spending some money. How much have the Twins dropped so far? Like 8 million? :lol:
Absurd. This deal has "Mauer contract" written all over it. San Diego did KC a favor with this one.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Absurd. This deal has "Mauer contract" written all over it. San Diego did KC a favor with this one.
This is much worse than the Mauer contract. Mauer was at least a catcher at the beginning of the contract. The length and dollars to a first baseman who is a ground ball hitter. He will never hit 20 HR's playing in that ballpark.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Francisco Liriano to Tigers 1yr 4m with 1m in incentives.

Said he wants to start but willing to go to the pen if needed.

It'll be a little weird if we get a Liriano vs Anibal matchup sometimes this year.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

mglviks wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm Francisco Liriano to Tigers 1yr 4m with 1m in incentives.

It'll be a little weird if we get a Liriano vs Anibal matchup sometimes this year.
That would be weird! Seems like a perfect spot for a getaway day match up. :lol:
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 am

This is much worse than the Mauer contract. Mauer was at least a catcher at the beginning of the contract. The length and dollars to a first baseman who is a ground ball hitter. He will never hit 20 HR's playing in that ballpark.
So every other aspect of his game is irrelevant?
The Replacements

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

The numbers he puts up at first base can be obtained a much lower cost and shorter commitment. They are pay $$$ for a high character guy who will help the younger players develop. They will regret this deal.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

The numbers he puts up at first base can be obtained a much lower cost and shorter commitment. They are pay $$$ for a high character guy who will help the younger players develop. They will regret this deal.
And is pretty much one of the best first basemen in baseball

And entering his prime.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm
And is pretty much one of the best first basemen in baseball

And entering his prime.
He's got a great glove, but I just don't like the way his offensive game is going. Too many ground balls and going to probably the best pitcher's park in the game.

He might be entering his prime, but that contract will keep him there well past his prime.

Plus, this moves Myers (who just signed an extension last year) back to the OF, where he just isn't very good.
The Replacements

Offensively he projects out to the 14th best 1B in baseball.
Billy Bremner

Post by Billy Bremner »

mglviks wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm Francisco Liriano to Tigers 1yr 4m with 1m in incentives.

Gardy is getting the old gang together. Delmon Young has his other hand on the phone waiting for a call.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am Offensively he projects out to the 14th best 1B in baseball.
Source?

Not doubting you...I'd just like to look at the list.
The Replacements

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm
The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am Offensively he projects out to the 14th best 1B in baseball.
Source?

http://thefantasyfix.com/fantasy-baseba ... t-basemen/
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm
Source?

http://thefantasyfix.com/fantasy-baseba ... t-basemen/
That's one guys fantasy baseball take....

Did you read what he said about his #1 player?

"With all deference to Goldschmidt, he is not the best offensive first basemen in the game. However, he does routinely steal bases. While that might not add a ton of value in real baseball, it is a huge deal in fantasy baseball. One of the problems number crunchers have is the need to turn off that side of the brain when it comes time to picking in the draft."

So his #1 isn't even really the true #1.
The Replacements

It's based on PECOTA projections so you can choose to agree with it or not. What you can easily see is it's not too hard to find similar offensive players for a lot less money.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm It's based on PECOTA projections so you can choose to agree with it or not. What you can easily see is it's not too hard to find similar offensive players for a lot less money.
I don't disagree with that..
I'm not planning on drafting Hosmer in fantasy.

But understand Pecota...
They traditionally hate the Royals, and anything involving them.
(Including their name)
The Replacements

Take a look at another opinion. I don't think you will find one that thinks this is a good deal.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/ ... ree-agency
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm Take a look at another opinion. I don't think you will find one that thinks this is a good deal.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/ ... ree-agency
Pecota again...

Understand if you look at my "analytics" thread, these guys also say a 4 time gold glover is one of the worst fielders in baseball at 1st.
The Replacements

Defensive metrics are the toughest analytical argument but it's hard to argue the offensive numbers. Hosmer is an average to slightly above average hitter. Hard to argue against that.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Twins have quietly spent around $30 mill this offseason (so far). No huge splashy name, but a lot of guys who will contribute to a well rounded team.

3 Bullpen guys with Rodney, Duke and Reed
1 starter in Odorizzi, a guy they will pay to rehab this year in Pineda
a fulltime DH in Morrisson.

Not a typical Twins offseason. They must feel they are close with the young core.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm Twins have quietly spent around $30 mill this offseason (so far). No huge splashy name, but a lot of guys who will contribute to a well rounded team.

Not a typical Twins offseason. They must feel they are close with the young core.
It's not important to win this season, as in win divisions and compete for titles and whatnot, but it's important that the team doesn't take a step back. This team won 85 games last year. If they hadn't have added to the roster and watched this team fall back to the mid-70's or something like that, you're sort of starting at ground zero with the young guys again. It's important to take the momentum they gained last year and build on it. That's what they couldn't do after Mollie's first season. They won 83 games that year and then immediately fell back to 59 the next. They recovered last year, but another fall back could be costly. Time to keep the needle moving forward. I think they've added enough to do that.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm Twins have quietly spent around $30 mill this offseason (so far). No huge splashy name, but a lot of guys who will contribute to a well rounded team.

It's not important to win this season, as in win divisions and compete for titles and whatnot, but it's important that the team doesn't take a step back. This team won 85 games last year. If they hadn't have added to the roster and watched this team fall back to the mid-70's or something like that, you're sort of starting at ground zero with the young guys again. It's important to take the momentum they gained last year and build on it. That's what they couldn't do after Mollie's first season. They won 83 games that year and then immediately fell back to 59 the next. They recovered last year, but another fall back could be costly. Time to keep the needle moving forward. I think they've added enough to do that.
If they were to get Lynn or Cobb at this point, I don't know how anyone would say it's anything less than an A.

Two good starters (if they sign one of those guys) plus three additions to the bullpen... your offense was solid last year but no one ever would complain about adding a bat with some pop. Morrison at DH over Grossman/Mauer... omg, sign me up.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm

If they were to get Lynn or Cobb at this point, I don't know how anyone would say it's anything less than an A.

Two good starters (if they sign one of those guys) plus three additions to the bullpen... your offense was solid last year but no one ever would complain about adding a bat with some pop. Morrison at DH over Grossman/Mauer... omg, sign me up.
I'm not sure people have realistic expectations for what Lynn or Cobb would bring to the table. Writers made it seem like the FA SP crop was 4 players deep. Darvish, Arietta, Cobb, and Lynn. The truth is that the first two guys on that list are way better than the last two. Cobb had TJ 3 years ago, and Lynn had it 2 years ago. Cobb has been nothing like he was before the surgery since. Low strikeout totals, lots of hits allowed, and more HR's allowed than before. Lynn had a really strange 2017 season. His ERA looks fine. His K's dipped, but were still respectable. His H/9 went way down from what it had ever been before. At the same time, he allowed almost double the HR's he'd ever allowed in a single season. His FIP was over almost a run and a half higher than his career average, which indicates that his quality ERA might have been pretty fluky. Add to that he'd be going from the NL to the AL, and it's easy to expect a marked regression from his raw numbers in 2017.

If I had to choose one, I'd probably chose Lynn, just because he has a little more of a track record than Cobb, but I wouldn't go beyond 1 year for either of them at this point. Ultimately, I don't think there's anything even close to a guarantee that either of them would outperform Gonsalves or Romero this year. I think, at this point, there are enough options for the rotation that you can get through the early part of the season, get Santana back, and hope at least one of your two young bulls forces his way up. I'd rather do that than fill a roster spot with an expensive question mark.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm sure that's what the Twins are thinking too... though is it possible Gibson and Santana are both gone next year so you're looking at Odorizzi, Berrios (when is that tommy john coming?!) and the young guys? Pineada too, yes... I don't know... I just have a hard time when the front office mentions Phil Hughes as a possibility, and Mejia hasn't really dominated at triple A so what warrants a spot in the rotation for him? If Gibson is terrible again, there's an open spot.... if Santana still has issues after surgery..... I guess I'd try to figure out how you can get Lynn for a 2+1, partially guarantee that third year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm not sure people have realistic expectations for what Lynn or Cobb would bring to the table. Writers made it seem like the FA SP crop was 4 players deep. Darvish, Arietta, Cobb, and Lynn. The truth is that the first two guys on that list are way better than the last two. Cobb had TJ 3 years ago, and Lynn had it 2 years ago. Cobb has been nothing like he was before the surgery since. Low strikeout totals, lots of hits allowed, and more HR's allowed than before. Lynn had a really strange 2017 season. His ERA looks fine. His K's dipped, but were still respectable. His H/9 went way down from what it had ever been before. At the same time, he allowed almost double the HR's he'd ever allowed in a single season. His FIP was over almost a run and a half higher than his career average, which indicates that his quality ERA might have been pretty fluky. Add to that he'd be going from the NL to the AL, and it's easy to expect a marked regression from his raw numbers in 2017.

If I had to choose one, I'd probably chose Lynn, just because he has a little more of a track record than Cobb, but I wouldn't go beyond 1 year for either of them at this point. Ultimately, I don't think there's anything even close to a guarantee that either of them would outperform Gonsalves or Romero this year. I think, at this point, there are enough options for the rotation that you can get through the early part of the season, get Santana back, and hope at least one of your two young bulls forces his way up. I'd rather do that than fill a roster spot with an expensive question mark.
Your assessment of Cobb and Lynn are accurate. However, You know what you're gonna get with these two, as apposed to huge question marks with Gonsalves and Romero. Berrios, Odorizzi, and a bunch of fringe options is not the way I'd like to start the season. Plus, who knows if Santana comes back without a hitch. Finger injuries are very finicky with pitchers. Blisters have been known to sideline guys for months. This is surgery.

I don't love either of the two. The Twins would have been far better off, if they were able to make a trade for Archer, or pony up and sign Arrieta. The team is kind of backed into a corner here. No one should take this rotation seriously.