Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

A place to discuss the MN Twins
The Replacements

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

Post by The Replacements »

Arrieta(Boras) told the Cubs he wanted Jon Lester money. Do you say yes to 6 years $155?
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Rather roll with Gonslaves or Romero, than pay for Lynn or Cobb plus give up a 3rd round pick.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm Twins have quietly spent around $30 mill this offseason (so far). No huge splashy name, but a lot of guys who will contribute to a well rounded team.

3 Bullpen guys with Rodney, Duke and Reed
1 starter in Odorizzi, a guy they will pay to rehab this year in Pineda
a fulltime DH in Morrisson.

Not a typical Twins offseason. They must feel they are close with the young core.
It's not important to win this season, as in win divisions and compete for titles and whatnot, but it's important that the team doesn't take a step back. This team won 85 games last year. If they hadn't have added to the roster and watched this team fall back to the mid-70's or something like that, you're sort of starting at ground zero with the young guys again. It's important to take the momentum they gained last year and build on it. That's what they couldn't do after Mollie's first season. They won 83 games that year and then immediately fell back to 59 the next. They recovered last year, but another fall back could be costly. Time to keep the needle moving forward. I think they've added enough to do that.
Seriously? We were a playoff team with a ton of young good hitters. We added to the rotation and the pen and the young guys in the pen were good. We are in it to win it.
The Replacements

mglviks wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm Rather roll with Gonslaves or Romero, than pay for Lynn or Cobb plus give up a 3rd round pick.
:thumbsup:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm Twins have quietly spent around $30 mill this offseason (so far). No huge splashy name, but a lot of guys who will contribute to a well rounded team.

3 Bullpen guys with Rodney, Duke and Reed
1 starter in Odorizzi, a guy they will pay to rehab this year in Pineda
a fulltime DH in Morrisson.

Not a typical Twins offseason. They must feel they are close with the young core.
It's not important to win this season, as in win divisions and compete for titles and whatnot, but it's important that the team doesn't take a step back. This team won 85 games last year. If they hadn't have added to the roster and watched this team fall back to the mid-70's or something like that, you're sort of starting at ground zero with the young guys again. It's important to take the momentum they gained last year and build on it. That's what they couldn't do after Mollie's first season. They won 83 games that year and then immediately fell back to 59 the next. They recovered last year, but another fall back could be costly. Time to keep the needle moving forward. I think they've added enough to do that.
Seriously? We were a playoff team with a ton of young good hitters. We added to the rotation and the pen and the young guys in the pen were good. We are in it to win it.
I think LA, NYY, and Boston all got better. Cleveland took a couple hits, but will still be a very good team. Houston couldn't have been much better than they were last year, and they certainly don't look like they got any worse. I think it's going to be an improved AL this year. I think the Twins have to get 6-8 games better to get a playoff spot this year. That might be a tall order.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 pm

I think LA, NYY, and Boston all got better. Cleveland took a couple hits, but will still be a very good team. Houston couldn't have been much better than they were last year, and they certainly don't look like they got any worse. I think it's going to be an improved AL this year. I think the Twins have to get 6-8 games better to get a playoff spot this year. That might be a tall order.
I'll put my money on a bunch of young guys in the field getting a little better. I'll bet on the chance of a couple 12-12 types going 14-10. And I'm betting our pen is the big upgrade. I'll bet all of that adds up sooner than I would bet on the big money teams adding a couple big money guys. They likely also havs a bunch of older vets on the down swing. Can you name any Twin you see as on the down swing? Mauer doesn't count.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Between Hughes, Gibson and Sanchaz you have a 5th starter maybe 4/5th.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Think we're done dealin....

PLAY BALL!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm Arrieta(Boras) told the Cubs he wanted Jon Lester money. Do you say yes to 6 years $155?
Fuck no! I probably wouldn't have given him that had he had a great, year last year (he didn't).
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

mglviks wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm Rather roll with Gonslaves or Romero, than pay for Lynn or Cobb plus give up a 3rd round pick.
It's a 3rd. I could part with it. 2 spots, maybe 3, will open up in 2019 and the boys can fight it out then.
The Replacements

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm Arrieta(Boras) told the Cubs he wanted Jon Lester money. Do you say yes to 6 years $155?
Fuck no! I probably wouldn't have given him that had he had a great, year last year (he didn't).
His velocity has dropped the last 2 years. It would be hard to give him Darvish money. Really curious to see what happens. If I had to bet, I would say the Nationals sign him.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Doogie Reported that the Twins low offer to Lynn was more then 2/12ish. How much more is a great question, because that's a freakin terrible offer. No wonder he rejected it. Zero talks between the two sides now. He'll sign with Milwaukee IMO.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm Doogie Reported that the Twins low offer to Lynn was more then 2/12ish. How much more is a great question, because that's a freakin terrible offer. No wonder he rejected it. Zero talks between the two sides now. He'll sign with Milwaukee IMO.
Can't see him getting a lot of money or more than 3 years.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Bernadino reported that the offer to Lynn from the Twins was 2 years $20 million.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:46 pm Bernadino reported that the offer to Lynn from the Twins was 2 years $20 million.
And hes currently -20 million less in his bank account.

Greedy bastard!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I cant believe some of the names still out there in free agency. Twins would be smart to pounce (like they did with Logan), the opportunity to low ball FA's likely won't be there next season or in the future. The offers still have to be somewhat fair though. 2 years and $20 mill isnt really fair for Lynn. I youre playing it safe with no long term contract, why not offer something like 2 years and $30 mill? Its still a low ball contract, but in the market right now, he might just accept it.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 pm I cant believe some of the names still out there in free agency. Twins would be smart to pounce (like they did with Logan), the opportunity to low ball FA's likely won't be there next season or in the future. The offers still have to be somewhat fair though. 2 years and $20 mill isnt really fair for Lynn. I youre playing it safe with no long term contract, why not offer something like 2 years and $30 mill? Its still a low ball contract, but in the market right now, he might just accept it.
They have to practice low-balling this offseason so they can do Mauer proper next offseason.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Replacements

Phillies, Jake Arrieta Agree To Three-Year $75MM contract
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm Phillies, Jake Arrieta Agree To Three-Year $75MM contract
At least it wasnt the Nats or yanks
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm Phillies, Jake Arrieta Agree To Three-Year $75MM contract
This just proves that he's not about winning.

He got his ring, now he wants his money. He got it, good for him, but I wouldn't want to be his grandchildren's meal ticket. Let the Phillies deal with that. They're the experts on bad contracts.
The Replacements

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 pm

He got his ring, now he wants his money. He got it, good for him, but I wouldn't want to be his grandchildren's meal ticket. Let the Phillies deal with that. They're the experts on bad contracts.
The Phillies are a sleeper team for a wild card this year.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 pm

True story... Arrietta and Nola are a nice 1-2 combo. Plus, they gave a solid lineup, and they have a lot of good young prospects on the way.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Maybe. The young talent will have to step up for them to do that. They still are a team that lost 96 last year until proven otherwise.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

I wonder if Levine is considering Greg Holland?? He turned down a $15 million dollar option and now doesn't have a team. Boras is probably kicking himself and I think Holland would sign with any team offering $7-9 million for this year.

I don't trust Rodney.
The Replacements

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 am I wonder if Levine is considering Greg Holland?? He turned down a $15 million dollar option and now doesn't have a team. Boras is probably kicking himself and I think Holland would sign with any team offering $7-9 million for this year.

I don't trust Rodney.
Word is Holland turned down the same offer Wade Davis accepted. That's hard to believe. His velocity and command dropped in the 2nd half so that's why teams aren't will to invest large dollars or years in him. He will need to take a 1 year prove it contract or wait and hope for injuries.

I hope the Twins stay away from Holland.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Season ending surgery for Arrieta. Wow, dodged a couple bullets with him and Darvish. This team needs an ace, I just hope it's an addition like Gerrit Cole with Houston a couple years ago. They have to get it right this offseason, and not get burned.
The Replacements

Tuck ya in wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 am
Season ending surgery for Arrieta. Wow, dodged a couple bullets with him and Darvish. This team needs an ace, I just hope it's an addition like Gerrit Cole with Houston a couple years ago. They have to get it right this offseason, and not get burned.
Investing larger dollars in pitchers in the 30's is a huge risk. I don't see the Twins involved in anything like that. If you look at Cleveland and their ability to develop pitchers through their system, that's the model the Twins are trying to match. Falvey came over from Cleveland so hopefully he can accomplish that.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am
Investing larger dollars in pitchers in the 30's is a huge risk. I don't see the Twins involved in anything like that. If you look at Cleveland and their ability to develop pitchers through their system, that's the model the Twins are trying to match. Falvey came over from Cleveland so hopefully he can accomplish that.
Right, but you need a mix of all to be an elite team. Free agents, trades, and built ins. Falvine just got here, their pitching drafting/development will take time and this offense is in win at a high level now mode. I expect a trade this offseason as the free agent class is weak.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Kluber (fringe prospect), Carrasco (Phillies' top prospect) and Trevor Bauer (top 100 prospect) were all acquired via trade as minor leaguers. It shows solid minor league scouting and astute deal making. Let's hope Falvey's take for Escobar, Pressly and Dozier can bear some nice fruit - signs are promising.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:14 am

Kluber (fringe prospect), Carrasco (Phillies' top prospect) and Trevor Bauer (top 100 prospect) were all acquired via trade as minor leaguers. It shows solid minor league scouting and astute deal making. Let's hope Falvey's take for Escobar, Pressly and Dozier can bear some nice fruit - signs are promising.
The key piece in the Escobar trade is Jhuan Duran. He currently has a 7.58 ERA in 4 starts in AA. He's also eligible for the rule 5 draft. They will have to put him on the 40 man to keep him.

Jorge Alcala has a 5.87 ERA in 100 IP in AA. Gilberto Celestino has a .765 OPS in low A ball. These are the two guys we got in the Pressly deal.

They got Devin Smeltzer (fart noise) and Luke Raley in the Dozier deal. Raley is a RF that has a decent .878 OPS in 126 ABs in AAA this season. Smeltzer's ceiling is a number 3. The jury is still out.

Do any of those guys sound like Bauer, Kluber, or Carrasco?