Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

A place to discuss the MN Twins
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

Post by HeHateMe »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/ ... tions.html

Predicted to sign:
Alex Cobb, 4 years, 48 mil (sounds like Tampa might extend qualifying offer though)
Juan Nicasio 3 years, 21 mil

Listed as potential suitors for pitchers: Darvis, Arrieta, Tanaka, Lance Lynn, Wade Davis,
Hitters: Carlos Santana, Michael Brantley
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
bubu dubu.

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

Post by bubu dubu. »

Just give Bartolo Colon the 5 year extension he deserves, and then pick up a couple minor league guys here and there.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I predict, based on past transactions, the Twins will sign Swarzak and Neshek and call it an offseason.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***

Post by Donovan McNabb »

just load up on starting pitchers and bullpen and call it an offseason
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Wade Davis and trade Dozier for prospects.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 am Wade Davis and trade Dozier for prospects.
:lol:

:gun:
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Jake Arrieta and Wade Davis would be ideal moves for this off-season. We do not need more bats given the limits of our payroll plus we have developing talent in Sano, Kepler, Buxton, and Polanco already who all should have better seasons than last.

Jake Arrieta is a must while we do need to add to the bullpen we don't need to overspend on a guy like Wade Davis either since we did have some bright spots that just got overworked in Busenitz, Hildenberger, Rodgers all who looked like they belonged and then we had injuries to guys like Burdi, Chargois, and Jay that should have been part of the pen this past year. We do need to add one more legit guy but its not nearly as dire as it has been in previous years.

Front line starter isn't an option we have to get one or we will not advance further.
bri

Post by bri »

Wish they'd go all in on Darvish like I wanted them to when he first was coming over.. but I wonder if this regime will be any different than past ones with who they target and how much they can spend
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Joboo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm Jake Arrieta and Wade Davis would be ideal moves for this off-season. We do not need more bats given the limits of our payroll plus we have developing talent in Sano, Kepler, Buxton, and Polanco already who all should have better seasons than last.

Jake Arrieta is a must while we do need to add to the bullpen we don't need to overspend on a guy like Wade Davis either since we did have some bright spots that just got overworked in Busenitz, Hildenberger, Rodgers all who looked like they belonged and then we had injuries to guys like Burdi, Chargois, and Jay that should have been part of the pen this past year. We do need to add one more legit guy but its not nearly as dire as it has been in previous years.

Front line starter isn't an option we have to get one or we will not advance further.
Ive been a huge fan of Wade Davis....but looking at the $'s being thrown around in rumors.... I don't go near it.
Don't pay for yesterday....worry about tomorrow.

I think the answer at closing is still internal
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ORLANDO, Fla. – Everyone’s looking for pitching, they say. But perhaps no one is looking for pitching with as much interest or enthusiasm as the Twins, who are targeting the very top pitchers on the rotation market and on the bullpen market — and hoping to add depth, as well.

The Twins are looking at the two unquestionable top-of-the-rotation starters – Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta – as FanRag first reported – as well as next-tier starters Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, plus others, and are looking at the top relievers, as well.

Darvish and Arrieta are in a class by themselves on the free-agent market, and while the Twins like both pitchers, there are hints Darvish is No. 1 on their list and Arrieta perhaps No. 1A. Their GM, Thad Levine, was a big part of the contingent that brought Darvish to MLB with the Texas Rangers when Levine was the top assistant GM there, though they just may have a slightly higher evaluation of Darvish.

The Twins, who improved to 85 wins from 59 in the first year of the new regime, have the benefit of an excellent young core and the confidence of the bosses — including club-owning Jim Pohlad — after such a stark improvement.

Darvish’s talent is seen as supreme, but both pitchers have a case to be the best. Arrieta has a Cy Young and he actually had the slightly better season in 2017, despite a slow start, finishing with a 3.53 ERA and 14-10 record to Darvish’s 3.86 and 10-12 (Darvish did have more strikeouts, 209 to 163, though Arrieta missed some time late with a hamstring injury).

The Twins are also investigating bullpen stars Wade Davis, Greg Holland and others. Matt Belisle, who did a nice job closing for them last year, is a free agent, as is Brandon Kintzler, who was very good in the first half for them, as well. The bullpen market is pretty strong, with Addison Reed, Brandon Morrow and others also out there.

Darvish seems to be getting the higher contract projections among the top two starters, including here, but a case could be made for Arrieta, who has been better in the postseason, going 5-3 with a 3.08 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in his career, including the Cubs’ one win over the Dodgers. He is also 2-0 with a 2.38 ERA in the World Series, which is where Darvish fell last October following a nice couple starts in the earlier rounds.

Both pitchers are 31, and while Arrieta has thrown more innings in the majors, Darvish has more when you include his early professional seasons in the Japanese League. Both pitchers are 31, though Arrieta is a few months older. Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder, but for the Twins, Darvish may be the first call.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ViksScore

Post by ViksScore »

We need to go out and get a couple good strong starters. Maybe add Bartolo as a potential number 5.
"He who stops being better stops being good"
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

ViksScore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm We need to go out and get a couple good strong starters. Maybe add Bartolo as a potential number 5.
Hey great isea. We can do that right after we get a new stadium, a new cable deal, a new city, and new ownership. Yep! Then we sign 2 front line starters.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Darvish would be incredible to get...here's the real story though...

Twins are going to do enough to make fans think they went after Darvish and Arrieta, but realistically won't come close to the money he will receive. Its all deception. They will settle on an overpay for someone like Jaimie Garcia.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm Darvish would be incredible to get...here's the real story though...

Twins are going to do enough to make fans think they went after Darvish and Arrieta, but realistically won't come close to the money he will receive. Its all deception. They will settle on an overpay for someone like Jaimie Garcia.
Typical logic from a Twins hater...
And it makes no sense.
They are cheap.
Yet they will overpay for someone.

:thinking:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm Darvish would be incredible to get...here's the real story though...

History says you're right but we don't have a clue what Falvey/Levine will do right now.. perhaps they've already told the Pohlad's we need to spend more to get further and Jim is on board.... for once.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

I'd be really happy with either one of these guys.

Darvish got rocked this world series. Not saying there would be lingering effects of that if the Twins make the playoffs next year, but is it concerning?? Is Arrieta's hammy going to be a problem going forward??

I don't care, I like them both.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 pm

And it makes no sense.
They are cheap.

simple really. They'd rather overpay for a middling guy, than dish out the huge contract to a stud. they need to show some effort, especially after the season they just had. Theyd much rather get the Jamie Garcia's of the world for $10-$12 mill per year than Yu for $25 mill.

Also, you don't think they are cheap? They consistently rank near, or below half the league year in and year out.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:44 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 pm

And it makes no sense.
They are cheap.

simple really. They'd rather overpay for a middling guy, than dish out the huge contract to a stud. they need to show some effort, especially after the season they just had. Theyd much rather get the Jamie Garcia's of the world for $10-$12 mill per year than Yu for $25 mill.

Also, you don't think they are cheap? They consistently rank near, or below half the league year in and year out.
I'm not going through the whole salary BS again....its been done a dozen times on these boards.
Even your own statement proves the fallacy... If they are around the middle, how are they cheap?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

because even when they have competitive teams, they don't do much....just a bunch of deception.

Trade Santana cause you cant afford him.

Low ball Torii Hunter, to show fans you at least made an effort, knowing full well he won't accept that contract.

Go get Pavano, instead of Cliff Lee.

Whats their biggest move in the Pohlad history? Shannon Stewart?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm because even when they have competitive teams, they don't do much....just a bunch of deception.

Trade Santana cause you cant afford him.

Low ball Torii Hunter, to show fans you at least made an effort, knowing full well he won't accept that contract.

Go get Pavano, instead of Cliff Lee.

Whats their biggest move in the Pohlad history? Shannon Stewart?
Jason Castro I believe

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Michael Brantley wouldn't make much sense. We already have 2 starting corner OF'ers who are left handed. I'd like to see the team add an OF'er, but i'd like them to be RH so we can platoon them a little with Eddie and Kep. Grossman is OK, but he's not a good defender, and he really struggled at times at the plate last year.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Twins received a compensatory pick. The pick will be #75.

Why receiving a compensatory pick this year is more important than previous years is because of the new CBA.

Previously, any team who signed a player in free agency, who rejected his previous team's qualifying offer, would forfeit their best pick (top ten picks were protected). In the new CBA, teams no longer have to give up their first pick when signing a player who declined his qualifying offer. Instead, it is now based on market size. Small markets surrender their 3rd best pick....(medium markets surrender their 2nd best pick and lose $500K for their international pool, large markets surrender their 2nd and 5th)

The Twins fall in to the small market category, so this #75 pick (which is the last pick in the compensatory round) that was given to them for free, now allows the Twins to go after someone like Arrieta or Wade Davis, and not affect any of their original draft picks.
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

What determines market size exactly? Obviously the Twins are small market, but what are the actual qualifications for the different tiers?
Last edited by Tommy_Hawk on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm What determines market dize exactly? Obviously the Twins are small market, but what are the actual qualifications for the different tiers?
no idea. I would have actually guessed they would be a middle market, but read they are small.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Last edited by bubu dubu. on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bubu I'm confused about your last 2 comments...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:04 pm Bubu I'm confused about your last 2 comments...
still learning how to navigate the site. I tried to edit my comment, but instead quoted it...and yes, i was stupid enough to do it twice.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 am Just give Bartolo Colon the 5 year extension he deserves, and then pick up a couple minor league guys here and there.
:lol: Twins would do something like that
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Twins inquiring about Gerrit Cole and Jake Odorizzi...not bad names, but this is what they do.

It started with Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta. Now we are down a tier to Cole and Odorizzi...

who will we be discussing in a few weeks from now?