Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 Free Agents

Post by Ask Not »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:27 am
Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:14 am
The Replacements wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am

Investing larger dollars in pitchers in the 30's is a huge risk. I don't see the Twins involved in anything like that. If you look at Cleveland and their ability to develop pitchers through their system, that's the model the Twins are trying to match. Falvey came over from Cleveland so hopefully he can accomplish that.
Kluber (fringe prospect), Carrasco (Phillies' top prospect) and Trevor Bauer (top 100 prospect) were all acquired via trade as minor leaguers. It shows solid minor league scouting and astute deal making. Let's hope Falvey's take for Escobar, Pressly and Dozier can bear some nice fruit - signs are promising.
The key piece in the Escobar trade is Jhuan Duran. He currently has a 7.58 ERA in 4 starts in AA. He's also eligible for the rule 5 draft. They will have to put him on the 40 man to keep him.

Jorge Alcala has a 5.87 ERA in 100 IP in AA. Gilberto Celestino has a .765 OPS in low A ball. These are the two guys we got in the Pressly deal.

They got Devin Smeltzer (fart noise) and Luke Raley in the Dozier deal. Raley is a RF that has a decent .878 OPS in 126 ABs in AAA this season. Smeltzer's ceiling is a number 3. The jury is still out.

Do any of those guys sound like Bauer, Kluber, or Carrasco?
No, but at the point in their careers in which they were traded, Pressly, Escobar and Dozier aren't Cliff Lee, Jake Westbrook or Shin Soo Choo ( Esco probably favors comparably in this one, Dozier wouldn't).

Kluber is the outlier. He's all they got for Westbrook (salary dump) and he entered the Indians system as the 26th best prospect and wasn't even in the top 30 the following year.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am

Kluber (fringe prospect), Carrasco (Phillies' top prospect) and Trevor Bauer (top 100 prospect) were all acquired via trade as minor leaguers. It shows solid minor league scouting and astute deal making. Let's hope Falvey's take for Escobar, Pressly and Dozier can bear some nice fruit - signs are promising.
The key piece in the Escobar trade is Jhuan Duran. He currently has a 7.58 ERA in 4 starts in AA. He's also eligible for the rule 5 draft. They will have to put him on the 40 man to keep him.

Jorge Alcala has a 5.87 ERA in 100 IP in AA. Gilberto Celestino has a .765 OPS in low A ball. These are the two guys we got in the Pressly deal.

They got Devin Smeltzer (fart noise) and Luke Raley in the Dozier deal. Raley is a RF that has a decent .878 OPS in 126 ABs in AAA this season. Smeltzer's ceiling is a number 3. The jury is still out.

No, but at the point in their careers in which they were traded, Pressly, Escobar and Dozier aren't Cliff Lee, Jake Westbrook or Shin Soo Choo ( Esco probably favors comparably in this one, Dozier wouldn't).

Kluber is the outlier. He's all they got for Westbrook (salary dump) and he entered the Indians system as the 26th best prospect and wasn't even in the top 30 the following year.
Duran is the one guy out of all those trades that might be an ace. He throws in the high 90's. Hopefully, he finds his command before the end of the season, so the Twins can justify adding him to the 40 man. None of the other guys move the needle IMO.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am
Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am

Duran is the one guy out of all those trades that might be an ace. He throws in the high 90's. Hopefully, he finds his command before the end of the season, so the Twins can justify adding him to the 40 man. None of the other guys move the needle IMO.
I agree on Duran. I think Raley might have a chance too.
I thought in the past Ryan and company would dump guys that fans might come to see or who could help that year's team to win a few games in exchange for 3rd tier prospects who were never going to be a part of a winner. Something isn't necessarily better than nothing.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Edit: it looks like Clevinger was also acquired via minor league trade. The Indians are fucking geniuses.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am Edit: it looks like Clevinger was also acquired via minor league trade. The Indians are fucking geniuses.
They are great at developing pitchers. The Rays are also great in this category.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am Edit: it looks like Clevinger was also acquired via minor league trade. The Indians are fucking geniuses.
You know that was Falvey, right?
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

boxter432 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:45 pm
You know that was Falvey, right?
I don't know how involved he was in the trades, but I'm hoping it a harbinger for the Twins' future.
Ketchup can be nuancy
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am

Investing larger dollars in pitchers in the 30's is a huge risk. I don't see the Twins involved in anything like that. If you look at Cleveland and their ability to develop pitchers through their system, that's the model the Twins are trying to match. Falvey came over from Cleveland so hopefully he can accomplish that.

It's not always about the numbers when it comes to player development. Alcala throws 100 mph and needs to harness his control. Likely a bullpen guy and possibly a future closer. Celestino is a plus CF defender who has hit really well as of late. You never know with guys. Anyone see Luis Arraez on a future Twins lists last year? Some guys figure it out sooner than later. Kluber always had potential. He didn't establish himself until age 27/28.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:35 pm

It's not always about the numbers when it comes to player development. Alcala throws 100 mph and needs to harness his control. Likely a bullpen guy and possibly a future closer. Celestino is a plus CF defender who has hit really well as of late. You never know with guys. Anyone see Luis Arraez on a future Twins lists last year? Some guys figure it out sooner than later. Kluber always had potential. He didn't establish himself until age 27/28.
Arraez was #15 on the prospect list last year. Only reason he wasn’t higher was the lack of power and speed. The dude has always had an advanced hit tool with really good contact rates.
The Replacements

Car Ramrod wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 pm
The Replacements wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Arraez was #15 on the prospect list last year. Only reason he wasn’t higher was the lack of power and speed. The dude has always had an advanced hit tool with really good contact rates.
Nick Gordon was the future at 2B and both were list at 55 for hit tool. My point is you don't know how each player translates to the majors. No one thought Arraez would be with the Twins ahead of Gordon.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Gerrit Cole is on pace to get an incredible contract now. 10 years 300+ mil, right?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am Gerrit Cole is on pace to get an incredible contract now. 10 years 300+ mil, right?
He's going into his age 30 season so I think the length of the deal will be 5-7 years with 2 player opt outs. David Price signed his deal in his age 30 season and it's 7 years, $217 million. I would bet he gets something similar to that deal.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:24 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am Gerrit Cole is on pace to get an incredible contract now. 10 years 300+ mil, right?
He's going into his age 30 season so I think the length of the deal will be 5-7 years with 2 player opt outs. David Price signed his deal in his age 30 season and it's 7 years, $217 million. I would bet he gets something similar to that deal.
Seems like these bigger market teams will all be bidding for him and might say who cares if he's not even on my team in 7-8 years but still is getting paid.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am
Seems like these bigger market teams will all be bidding for him and might say who cares if he's not even on my team in 7-8 years but still is getting paid.
The top FA pitchers have been signing 5-7 year deals. Can't see it going longer than that. Teams also don't want to exceed the luxury tax so that factors into the equation. The Yankees are the most obvious high spending teams with a need. Not sure about the flexibility of the Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies or others. The team that should sign him is the White Sox. They have a really low payroll and this would really jump start their rebuild.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

The top FA pitchers have been signing 5-7 year deals. Can't see it going longer than that. Teams also don't want to exceed the luxury tax so that factors into the equation. The Yankees are the most obvious high spending teams with a need. Not sure about the flexibility of the Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies or others. The team that should sign him is the White Sox. They have a really low payroll and this would really jump start their rebuild.
You could make a case the Twins should do it. They're in a great spot financially right now... and gun to my head, Odorizzi + Gibson + Pineda back or that money to Cole... I think I know which way to go. That is assuming Odo gets 15ish a year, Gibson at 10ish a year same with Pineda.

Then start using some bats to acquire other starting pitching or add some veterans like Perez on a short deal. They really need to do whatever it takes to beef up the front line of the rotation.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05 pm
The Replacements wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

You could make a case the Twins should do it. They're in a great spot financially right now... and gun to my head, Odorizzi + Gibson + Pineda back or that money to Cole... I think I know which way to go. That is assuming Odo gets 15ish a year, Gibson at 10ish a year same with Pineda.

Then start using some bats to acquire other starting pitching or add some veterans like Perez on a short deal. They really need to do whatever it takes to beef up the front line of the rotation.
The Twins should do it but I know they won't. They will use the model Cleveland does for pitching. I see them re-signing one of the Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda group and looking for another free agent starter. The other 2 will likely come from the minor leagues.