Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jorge Polanco Extension

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Car Ramrod

Re: Jorge Polanco Extension

Post by Car Ramrod »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 pm Nice situation for the Twins. Royce is gonna be in the starting lineup within 3 years, maybe even 2! If Gordon gets his act together and becomes a player, then we just trade one of the 3 and probably get a nice return....embarrassment of riches!!
I have a feeling Polanco will move to 2nd when Lewis is ready. Gordon had a tough year in triple A so this year could make or break his chances. Wander Javier is great prospect at SS/3B but likely 3-4 years away. I like that they have multiple options at important positions. I'm curious to see if Rosario or Berrios sign an extension this year. My guess is no. I heard Gibson would like to stay long term but not sure what that contract will look like.
Lewis could move to CF if Buxton can't put it together.
I would put the likelihood of that happening at under 1%. Lewis moving to CF that is. Buxton not putting it together has much greater odds obviously.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Hurray, Kepler and Polanco are extended. The Twins are making big deal out of these two. meh.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Kepler had a 2.8 WAR last year at his age 25 season. It's safe to say his value will increase through the life of the contract. This is a good deal for the Twins and could be a great one.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

beetlebum71 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 pm
RALPH MALPH wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm i whish they wouldnt have wasted money on kepler...
You a Pohlad Pocket Protector?
:lol: Good one. I'm gonna use that.

And these are exactly the kind of things we need to be doing.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am Kepler had a 2.8 WAR last year at his age 25 season. It's safe to say his value will increase through the life of the contract. This is a good deal for the Twins and could be a great one.
Long low money extensions for guys who have proven they are major league players and are not close to their ceiling or prime. And Twins fans are mad. Guess we should have signed Harper. And Machado.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am
The Replacements wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am Kepler had a 2.8 WAR last year at his age 25 season. It's safe to say his value will increase through the life of the contract. This is a good deal for the Twins and could be a great one.
Long low money extensions for guys who have proven they are major league players and are not close to their ceiling or prime. And Twins fans are mad. Guess we should have signed Harper. And Machado.
meh....not buying into it. I'm on board for Polanco, not Kep
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:35 am
Don't know how long you've been a Twins fan but this is literally the only way we have ever built solid teams.
The Replacements

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm
Don't know how long you've been a Twins fan but this is literally the only way we have ever built solid teams.
I think the hidden positive with these contracts is stability with the roster. Last year we heard about too many players on 1 year deals affecting the clubhouse.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Kepler's numbers weren't good last year, but a couple of things to point out....Walks were up, strikeouts were down. He's gotta build on that and start getting some extra base hits.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I think the hidden positive with these contracts is stability with the roster. Last year we heard about too many players on 1 year deals affecting the clubhouse.
The Twins have $29 million on the payroll for 2020. The only SP's under team control in 2020 are Berrios and Martin Perez. There are zero RP's under contract in 2020. In Fact, Kepler and Polonco are the only two players under contract past 2020. The other players signed beyond this season (Perez, Cruz) are club options for 2020.

I'm definitely happy that they locked up Polonco and am fine with Kepler, but outside of those two there is no stability contract wise.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 am
The Twins have $29 million on the payroll for 2020. The only SP's under team control in 2020 are Berrios and Martin Perez. There are zero RP's under contract in 2020. In Fact, Kepler and Polonco are the only two players under contract past 2020. The other players signed beyond this season (Perez, Cruz) are club options for 2020.

I'm definitely happy that they locked up Polonco and am fine with Kepler, but outside of those two there is no stability contract wise.
Keep in mind, most of the young players are not eligible for free agency for a number of years. Some players may not be interested in a long term deal and give up 1-2 years of free agency.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

You are overstating that. 1st off some of those players you say are not under contract are under team control with arbitration. Others are waiting for a breakout or we are before putting a number out.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm

You are overstating that. 1st off some of those players you say are not under contract are under team control with arbitration. Others are waiting for a breakout or we are before putting a number out.
I'm aware of the players that are under team control, and mentioned Berrios as one of them. I'm just pointing out the fact that there are no long term contracts other then the two that were just mentioned. Rosario was offered a long term deal and turned it down last year. Outside of that, I haven't heard about any other offers.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

I'm not a big fan of either extension. But I think at worst Polanco becomes a utility player.

I'd have rather extended Rosario at this point than Kepler because he has turned into the better of the two players. I fully admit that I didn't see that happening. I just hope that this move doesn't block Kirilloff for longer than it should.

We have 2 left handed hitting corner OFs right now and one of them is probably going to have to go eventually. Although Rosario could command more in a trade as of right now.
The Replacements

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 am I'm not a big fan of either extension. But I think at worst Polanco becomes a utility player.

I'd have rather extended Rosario at this point than Kepler because he has turned into the better of the two players. I fully admit that I didn't see that happening. I just hope that this move doesn't block Kirilloff for longer than it should.

We have 2 left handed hitting corner OFs right now and one of them is probably going to have to go eventually. Although Rosario could command more in a trade as of right now.
I don't believe Rosario was interested in a long term deal so I think you're right to assume Kiriloff will replace him. Rosario isn't a free agent until 2022 season so I'm not sure of the timing with Kiriloff almost major league ready. I guess if Buxton fails, Kepler can be an above average CF so that might be part of the thinking. The good/bad of the Twins right now is they have players on the team with real upside but not consistently proven yet. We should know this year what we have in Sano/Buxton and possibly Kepler.
salamander

Post by salamander »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am the length could hurt the club
Go on...
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm aware of the players that are under team control, and mentioned Berrios as one of them. I'm just pointing out the fact that there are no long term contracts other then the two that were just mentioned. Rosario was offered a long term deal and turned it down last year. Outside of that, I haven't heard about any other offers.
That's why I am saying it's overstated. It doesn't matter what kind of team control they are under. The Twins way is offer less earlier. We have to. But we can't make anyone take it. But the roster we have assembled will be pretty much intact in 3 years barring trades.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm
That's why I am saying it's overstated. It doesn't matter what kind of team control they are under. The Twins way is offer less earlier. We have to. But we can't make anyone take it. But the roster we have assembled will be pretty much intact in 3 years barring trades.
Sano, Buxton, May, Gonzalez, Parker, Cruz, Reed, Castro, Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda will all be gone or a FA by 2022. 3 of the Twins current starting pitchers are UFA after this season.That's not really in tact to me.

Honestly, I love the Twins. I hate being critical of them. They are the only men's pro team that have won a championship in my lifetime. I just can't stand the way they a run. You can be smart and still spend big on a few free agents. You need to have a mix of development and add a couple stars.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am Honestly, I love the Twins. I hate being critical of them. They are the only men's pro team that have won a championship in my lifetime. I just can't stand the way they a run. You can be smart and still spend big on a few free agents. You need to have a mix of development and add a couple stars.
HOW DARE YOU ASK THE POHLADS TO SPEND MONEY!!! HOW DARE YOU I SAY!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
Small Hands wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am Honestly, I love the Twins. I hate being critical of them. They are the only men's pro team that have won a championship in my lifetime. I just can't stand the way they a run. You can be smart and still spend big on a few free agents. You need to have a mix of development and add a couple stars.
Who are the "couple of stars" you want to add?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:59 pm
The"couple of stars" can be added over multiple years in multiple ways. How about trading for Yelich last year? How about adding Kuekel this year? How about trading for Goldschmidt this year like STL did? How about signing Arrietta last year? I won't even mention the elephant in the fucking room. These are all players that can elevate your team. Give me a break.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Sano, Buxton, May, Gonzalez, Parker, Cruz, Reed, Castro, Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda will all be gone or a FA by 2022. 3 of the Twins current starting pitchers are UFA after this season.That's not really in tact to me.

Honestly, I love the Twins. I hate being critical of them. They are the only men's pro team that have won a championship in my lifetime. I just can't stand the way they a run. You can be smart and still spend big on a few free agents. You need to have a mix of development and add a couple stars.
Then you gotta look at it like this. Sano , Buxton, and May are all questions whether it's health or head for the game. I don't think you or anyone would be on board with early extensions for them. I also don't think one good year gets then offers we wouldn't match. The staff is the Twins staff. If you are expecting us to have a 5 man rotation more than 1 year in a row I would refer you to the entirety of our history. We will always be this way. The 200 mil NY gets from local revenue will never be in our range. It's hope 2-3 young guys are good, hope 2-3 FA vets are solid, and hope the lineup can rake and play D. 2 World Series were won exactly like that and can be again. I have a feeling that the timing is coming this year when the young guys break out at the same time we had enough cash for some solid vets.

If you made me bet I bet we win our division.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm

The"couple of stars" can be added over multiple years in multiple ways. How about trading for Yelich last year? How about adding Kuekel this year? How about trading for Goldschmidt this year like STL did? How about signing Arrietta last year? I won't even mention the elephant in the fucking room. These are all players that can elevate your team. Give me a break.
You want a pay high $$$ for a pitch to contact pitcher? That's insane. PG is a free agent after 1 year so that's not a good long term investment. Yelich performed beyond anyone's expectation so that would have worked out.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:18 pm

You want a pay high $$$ for a pitch to contact pitcher? That's insane. PG is a free agent after 1 year so that's not a good long term investment. Yelich performed beyond anyone's expectation so that would have worked out.
Keuchel is better then any pitcher the Twins currently have. Do you think otherwise? He's a CY Young winner in the AL. The Cardinals got Goldy for a #5 pitcher and a mid level prospect. Yes, I'd take a one year loaner for that price. The Cardinals took it, and they're a way more successful franchise then the Twins. Especially, when you could possibly have a new face of the franchise if you can extend him. Oh... But that would mean the Pohlads would have to spend money.

Yelich was a very good player entering his prime when he was traded. Didn't surprise me in the least that he had a year like that.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:54 am

Keuchel is better then any pitcher the Twins currently have. Do you think otherwise? He's a CY Young winner in the AL. The Cardinals got Goldy for a #5 pitcher and a mid level prospect. Yes, I'd take a one year loaner for that price. The Cardinals took it, and they're a way more successful franchise then the Twins. Especially, when you could possibly have a new face of the franchise if you can extend him. Oh... But that would mean the Pohlads would have to spend money.

Yelich was a very good player entering his prime when he was traded. Didn't surprise me in the least that he had a year like that.
Do you follow baseball?

Keuchel

- He isn’t young.
- He’s more of a “pitch to contact” arm.
- His fastball sits below 90 mph.
- best quality is durability

Goldschmidt

- Even if the Twins acquired him, it would be for just 1 year. With him they are still behind the Red Sox, Astros and Yankees. Giving up young assets to possibly make the playoffs is not smart strategy.

Yelich

- it didn't surprise you he went from a 3.9 to 7.6 WAR last year? Nice try. You probably always win in Vegas too.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Do you follow baseball?

Keuchel

- He isn’t young.

Goldschmidt

- Even if the Twins acquired him, it would be for just 1 year. With him they are still behind the Red Sox, Astros and Yankees. Giving up young assets to possibly make the playoffs is not smart strategy.

Yelich

- it didn't surprise you he went from a 3.9 to 7.6 WAR last year? Nice try. You probably always win in Vegas too.
Keuchel's 4 seam fastball avg's right at 90.2. He has above avg movement on the 4 seamer and top tier movement on his cutter. You can have a slower fastball if you have good movement. Do I really need to explain that to you? He had issues with his slider last year, but still managed to have a very productive season. The slider up until last season was his most effective breaking ball. He is unequivocally better then any of the starting pitchers on the Twins. Plus, he's 31 years old. You speak of him like he's on his last leg.

You think giving up a Nick Gordon type for a MVP caliber player is "not a smart strategy". Brilliant. I don't care if they can't get a long term deal done. My "Strategy" would be to win games. I'd take 1 great year from Goldy over 5 mediocre seasons from one of their mid tier prospects. I guess we can agree to disagree there.

There is a difference between surprised and expecting. Was I surprised? No... Did I expect it? also, No... Yelich was already a 800+ OPS player in his mid 20's. If that season shocked you, you'd be a shit GM.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Do you follow baseball?

Keuchel

- He isn’t young.

Goldschmidt

Yelich

Keuchel's 4 seam fastball avg's right at 90.2. He has above avg movement on the 4 seamer and top tier movement on his cutter. You can have a slower fastball if you have good movement. Do I really need to explain that to you? He had issues with his slider last year, but still managed to have a very productive season. The slider up until last season was his most effective breaking ball. He is unequivocally better then any of the starting pitchers on the Twins. Plus, he's 31 years old. You speak of him like he's on his last leg.

You think giving up a Nick Gordon type for a MVP caliber player is "not a smart strategy". Brilliant. I don't care if they can't get a long term deal done. My "Strategy" would be to win games. I'd take 1 great year from Goldy over 5 mediocre seasons from one of their mid tier prospects. I guess we can agree to disagree there.

There is a difference between surprised and expecting. Was I surprised? No... Did I expect it? also, No... Yelich was already a 800+ OPS player in his mid 20's. If that season shocked you, you'd be a shit GM.
Keuchel is a declining pitcher who wants a big contract. I believe the market agrees with me.

Nick Gordon isn't going to get you anything right now. STL traded two highly regarded young players from their MAJOR LEAGUE ROSTER, a prospect and a 2nd round pick. Nice try though.

Christian Yelich was 200-1 odds to win the MVP last year. 30 other National league players had better odds. Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers for this week? :lol:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Do you follow baseball?

Keuchel

- He isn’t young.

Goldschmidt

Yelich

Keuchel is a declining pitcher who wants a big contract. I believe the market agrees with me.

Nick Gordon isn't going to get you anything right now. STL traded two highly regarded young players from their MAJOR LEAGUE ROSTER, a prospect and a 2nd round pick. Nice try though.

Christian Yelich was 200-1 odds to win the MVP last year. 30 other National league players had better odds. Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers for this week? :lol:

Ugh... I don’t think it’s worth discussing with you man, but i’ll Bite. How has the market agreed with you? He hasn’t been signed yet. Harper just got signed today. He’s the best FA pitcher on the market. I disagree and advanced statistics show that he’s not declining.

Luke Weaver is a failed prospect. He finished barely under a 5 era and lost his spot in the rotation last September. Carson Kelly had a whopping 35 ABs in the majors last year and hit .269 in AAA the rest of the season. He’s a backup catcher at best for ARI behind Alex Avila. You waaaaay over exaggerate the quality of these guys. They were both at one time high prospects. Just like hmmmm Nick Gordon.

As far as Yelich goes... I don’t think you were reading my post. I said I wasn’t expecting him to have a fucking MVP season. I said it shouldn’t surprise either. He was an already very good player that turned into a great player in his prime, but go ahead and change my words to fit your narrative. Point is... Even if he didn’t have a MVP season, he was still a top 50 player in the league. In case you didn’t notice, We need some of those.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Ugh... I don’t think it’s worth discussing with you man, but i’ll Bite. How has the market agreed with you? He hasn’t been signed yet. Harper just got signed today. He’s the best FA pitcher on the market. I disagree and advanced statistics show that he’s not declining.

Luke Weaver is a failed prospect. He finished barely under a 5 era and lost his spot in the rotation last September. Carson Kelly had a whopping 35 ABs in the majors last year and hit .269 in AAA the rest of the season. He’s a backup catcher at best for ARI behind Alex Avila. You waaaaay over exaggerate the quality of these guys. They were both at one time high prospects. Just like hmmmm Nick Gordon.

As far as Yelich goes... I don’t think you were reading my post. I said I wasn’t expecting him to have a fucking MVP season. I said it shouldn’t surprise either. He was an already very good player that turned into a great player in his prime, but go ahead and change my words to fit your narrative. Point is... Even if he didn’t have a MVP season, he was still a top 50 player in the league. In case you didn’t notice, We need some of those.
You can't fix stupid, but I'll try one more time.

1. Keuchel - what contract would you offer him? CY Young winner or pitch to contact (6.7 K/9) 2018 version.
2. Weaver and Kelly are not failed prospects. See Aaron Hicks example.n
3. Yelich - Twins were 4th in runs score in 2017 and a young developing outfield. They were 9th in pitching. A smart GM is going to allocate his resources to the pitching staff unless of course you're a fortune teller and saw Yellich's MVP season.

Before you respond. Just think a little bit.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:59 am
Small Hands wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:48 pm

You can't fix stupid, but I'll try one more time.

1. Keuchel - what contract would you offer him? CY Young winner or pitch to contact (6.7 K/9) 2018 version.
2. Weaver and Kelly are not failed prospects. See Aaron Hicks example.n
3. Yelich - Twins were 4th in runs score in 2017 and a young developing outfield. They were 9th in pitching. A smart GM is going to allocate his resources to the pitching staff unless of course you're a fortune teller and saw Yellich's MVP season.

Before you respond. Just think a little bit.
:lol: You really have poor reading comprehension, and your name calling doesn’t make your argument better. Just makes you look like an asshole.

I love how you think Kuechel is a soft tossing past his prime slug. Let’s revisit him at the end of the season.

A backup catcher and a failing #5 starting pitcher is worth the price for a mvp caliber player. Even if it’s for one year.

As far as Yelich is concerned, please show me where I said I expected him to win the MVP. I said I wasn’t surprised. If you think adding Yelich pre 2018 wouldn’t be a huge upgrade from Kepler, I can’t help you.