Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins Sign Martin Perez

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Sidewinder2k2

Re: Twins Sign Martin Perez

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

They were never serious about Darvish. Did they want him? Sure. I'm sure they want most of the big name players but they are not willing to pay them.

Lame excuse with the injury line. That can happen in any sport at any time. Vikings handed Cousins a 3 year guaranteed deal in a contact sport etc..

Darvish had a rough year but it's ONE year out of his deal.

This franchise is a complete joke. Let's never sign anyone worth a damn because "They might get injured"
I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it because I really think that is what their issue is.

In order to outbid the Cubs, we have to go up to 150 if they paid 126.

Darvish has an injury history and it's difficult for me to believe that he'll ever live up to that deal.

As far as Cousins goes, it's a 3 year deal, not a 6 year deal. If he gets dropped for good in week one, you only in it for 2 more years.
Right. I wasn't implying you agreed. True but that's how baseball contracts work. I think it's ridiculous in any sport a guy getting more than 3-4 year's. Things change overnight.
I think that's the way that this is going to go. 4-5 year max, 6 years tops if it's your own player. Similar to the NBA and their max contracts. I hope we don't have to lockout to get there though.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 pm
D_H wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 pm Lololololololololo

This franchise isn't even trying to win ownership is laughing all the way to the bank.... should have never gave these Crooks a stadium. Haven't stepped foot in the stadium and I won't tell they sell the team ......or at least try and win. Shameful.
:clap:

Couldn't have said it better.
We seem to agree on almost everything you must be a pretty intelligent dude!!

Hehe
salamander

Post by salamander »

mglviks wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm Southpaw with a pulse!

I actually used to like him quite a bit. Changeup just dies at the plate.

Likely just pen help. Which we need. But could vie for the 5th spot.
I hate when a pitchers best pitch is the Changeup. You can do damage with a stellar changeup but that just can not be your best pitch.
From the pen, it's do able so if that's it then I'm kind of happy with a decent bullpen guy.

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Perez.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Bump for the ball guys who posted here.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

salamander wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

I hate when a pitchers best pitch is the Changeup. You can do damage with a stellar changeup but that just can not be your best pitch.
From the pen, it's do able so if that's it then I'm kind of happy with a decent bullpen guy.

Johan and Viola's best pitch was a Changeup.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

full force five wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am Bump for the ball guys who posted here.
Thanks! I really enjoyed reading the Twins baseball experts weighing in at the signing of Perez.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

The Replacements wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:34 am
full force five wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am Bump for the ball guys who posted here.
Thanks! I really enjoyed reading the Twins baseball experts weighing in at the signing of Perez.
Not everyone saw it so clearly. It's fun to get one right every once in a while.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ask Not wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 am
Not everyone saw it so clearly. It's fun to get one right every once in a while.
I know what you're doing and I don't like it.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Impressive so far.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am

I know what you're doing and I don't like it.
:lol:

:|
Ketchup can be nuancy
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Wow - tweaks to Parker Harper and Perez paying dividends.

Team option for ‘20 for Perez!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Southpaw23 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:12 pm Wow - tweaks to Parker Harper and Perez paying dividends.

Team option for ‘20 for Perez!
I didn't know that. The signing looks even better if he can continue to pitch well.

The Twins have a $7.5 million option for 2020 with a $500,000 buyout.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Small Hands wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 am

There are always exceptions to every rule. You had to go back to the 80's and over a decade ago to find those exceptions.
(Also, Santana's pitch was a circle changeup which is closer to a screwball than a changeup)
Last edited by salamander on Tue May 07, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Reading this thread was fun.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Forgive him....
He just can't accept that "a cheap ass Pohlad" could ever do anything that's ok.
The only way to be successful is to spend, spend, spend....just like they did on Hughes, Nolasco, Santana, etc.....thats how you get results.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Lock it up, Jabe!
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Forgive him....
He just can't accept that "a cheap ass Pohlad" could ever do anything that's ok.
The only way to be successful is to spend, spend, spend....just like they did on Hughes, Nolasco, Santana, etc.....thats how you get results.
I never said that nor do I believe that. You obviously don't understand my point at all.
And if you call the salary cap for the Hughes, Nolasco and Santana teams "spending" you've got a weird interpretation of "spending".

Carl and Jim Pohlad are cheap asses though, and they've been the worst ownership in all of sports for decades and counting.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Forgive him....
I never said that nor do I believe that. You obviously don't understand my point at all.
And if you call the salary cap for the Hughes, Nolasco and Santana teams "spending" you've got a weird interpretation of "spending".

Carl and Jim Pohlad are cheap asses though, and they've been the worst ownership in all of sports for decades and counting.
Tell that to the people in Miami that are Marlins fans.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

salamander wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm Reading this thread was fun.
I hope you learned from it. I hope you all learned from it.

Nah, fuck that. Hope you all keep doubling down with the whining.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

This thread proves what we knew all along....there's a boatload of dopes in rube chat who don't know jack squat about baseball!! :naners:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:07 pm This thread proves what we knew all along....there's a boatload of dopes in rube chat who don't know jack squat about baseball!! :naners:
Just enjoy the game :thumbsup:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:27 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:07 pm This thread proves what we knew all along....there's a boatload of dopes in rube chat who don't know jack squat about baseball!! :naners:
Just enjoy the game :thumbsup:
That is correct! (and Twins leadin 1-0 right now!)
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Forgive him....

So the Marlins have owners who are just as shitty as Carl and Jim Pohlad have been? OK.
Have they been just as shitty for numerous consecutive decades like the Pohlads (Carl and Jim)?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 pm

So the Marlins have owners who are just as shitty as Carl and Jim Pohlad have been? OK.
Have they been just as shitty for numerous consecutive decades like the Pohlads (Carl and Jim)?
I'm not having this discussion anymore with someone that is irrational.
I've let so many of your bad takes go....
(As an example"Gotta spend more to win the WS".....while look at the payroll of some recent WS winners.)
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 pm

(As an example"Gotta spend more to win the WS".....while look at the payroll of some recent WS winners.)
You've completely misunderstood my point this entire time. I don't know if it's because you're irrational and don't want to admit that your take is terrible or if you're just a Pohlad Pocket Protector. Your take of, "The Twins should be basement dweller spenders every single year" is about as bad a take as it gets.

I have never said the only way to win is to spend. The problem is we literally never spend, ever.
Last edited by salamander on Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Increased. Veil really helping him
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm

You've completely misunderstood my point this entire time. I don't know if it's because you're irrational and don't want to admit that your take is terrible or if you're just a Pohlad Pocket Protector. Your take of, "The Twins should be basement dweller spenders every single year" is about as bad a take as it gets.

I have never said the only way to win is to spend. The problem is we literally never spend, ever.

Using quotations means I said it....

I never said that...
salamander

Post by salamander »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 pm
salamander wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Using quotations means I said it....

I never said that...
Look in the mirror.

My point is that I don't want this:
"The Twins should be basement dweller spenders every single year"

You are against my point and are calling it a bad take and irrational.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

salamander, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post

Tired of the troll...

I cleared out all of the posters I had on ignore...
But this one trick pony bit isn't worth my time.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am when we start throwing around the phrase " can't be any worse than (insert name here)" franchise is a joke
What was that?