Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins Sign Martin Perez

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Sid Hartman

Twins Sign Martin Perez

Post by Sid Hartman »

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: #MNTwins in agreement with LHP Martin Pérez on one-year contract, source tells The Athletic. Deal includes club option for second season.

Setting up my lawn chairs on 1st ave for World Series parade tonight! Hope I’m not too late to save my spot
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
mglviks

Re: Twins Sign Martin Perez

Post by mglviks »

Southpaw with a pulse!

I actually used to like him quite a bit. Changeup just dies at the plate.

Likely just pen help. Which we need. But could vie for the 5th spot.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Can't be any worse than Craig Breslow!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Hornets wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:25 pm Can't be any worse than Craig Breslow!
Who wasn't any worse than Jose Mijares.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 am
Hornets wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:25 pm Can't be any worse than Craig Breslow!
Who wasn't any worse than Jose Mijares.
'The Big Sweat' Denny Reyes might have something to say about that!
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

when we start throwing around the phrase " can't be any worse than (insert name here)" franchise is a joke
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Yuck. Is Scott Diamond available?
Style

Post by Style »

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Just what the Twins need. Another SP that can't strike anybody out. He makes Gibson look like a flamethrower by comparison. Having said that, nothing wrong with taking a flyer on him and hope wows them in spring training.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

I try to be optimistic about most moves, but this guy sucks.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

ST. Peter on PA today said this deal was never announced and nothing is final
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I just don't get them not going after one of the top tier relievers. They have the luxury right now to do it. Signing one to a 2 or 3 year deal doesn't hinder future deals at all.

Normally I don't like investing a ton of money into the bullpen, but a young team with cheap contracts I think makes sense.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

St. Peter also said on PA that there's a possibility of more moves to come, and reminded him that they made some March signings last year.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm St. Peter also said on PA that there's a possibility of more moves to come, and reminded him that they made some March signings last year.
Lulz
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm St. Peter also said on PA that there's a possibility of more moves to come, and reminded him that they made some March signings last year.
Those went well.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am
Those went well.
Meh. Didn't really hurt them at all.
full force five

Post by full force five »

The Twins will have a sub-100 millions payroll to start the season, right now at 87 million. Prior years were low 120's. More winning.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

full force five wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 pm The Twins will have a sub-100 millions payroll to start the season, right now at 87 million. Prior years were low 120's. More winning.
There's a reason they used to say "Get to know em" It's because no one knows who the fuck they are.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 pm
Those went well.
Sure it did. They spent roughly $20 million on two guys who averaged out to be about replacement level. For that kind of money, you should be expecting two 2-3 win players. The FA market kind of sucked last year. I get it. But, signing those two was a disaster. They lead to losses on the field. They should have been more active earlier in free agency in order to get in on some players people actually wanted.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Those went well.
Sure it did. They spent roughly $20 million on two guys who averaged out to be about replacement level. For that kind of money, you should be expecting two 2-3 win players. The FA market kind of sucked last year. I get it. But, signing those two was a disaster. They lead to losses on the field. They should have been more active earlier in free agency in order to get in on some players people actually wanted.
the core playing awful is why the Twins sucked last year. What free agent out there last season was going to make Buxton/Sano/Dozier/Kepler/Mauer play well?
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm

the core playing awful is why the Twins sucked last year. What free agent out there last season was going to make Buxton/Sano/Dozier/Kepler/Mauer play well?
JD Martinez would have helped, but that's not the point. He wanted to sign with Boston. That's how it goes. My point is that DSP pointing out that this team spent a bunch of money in March last year isn't helpful. When you wait to spend your money in March, you get junk players that no one else wanted to pay. Lynn and Morrison weren't "THE" reason the team struggled, but neither did anything to make them better. If you're going to spend money on FA's, you want them to improve the team. They're probably not going to find anyone who will do that if they just take everyone else's leftovers.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm

JD Martinez would have helped, but that's not the point. He wanted to sign with Boston. That's how it goes. My point is that DSP pointing out that this team spent a bunch of money in March last year isn't helpful. When you wait to spend your money in March, you get junk players that no one else wanted to pay. Lynn and Morrison weren't "THE" reason the team struggled, but neither did anything to make them better. If you're going to spend money on FA's, you want them to improve the team. They're probably not going to find anyone who will do that if they just take everyone else's leftovers.
Lo Cain
Carlos Santana
Jake Arrietta
Wade Davis

All these guys would've helped the Twins immensely in 2018. Lynn was a disaster. I actually liked that signing at the time, but it didn't pan out. LoMo was your typical low risk, high reward type signing that didn't pan out. The Twins did almost nothing this offseason to help the team IMO. It reminds me a lot of last offseason. Schoop? Sorry, he's terrible. Cron? LoMo 2.0. Parker? Another Addison Reed type signing. Nelly Cruz is your big name Lance Lynn type signing. I really hope Cruz makes a difference. He's the one bright spot signing, but he's almost 40. The Harper buzz is the same bs they pulled with Darvish last year. Nothing has changed. Nothing
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Forget St. Peter. Trust the front office.
If Perez can learn a new pitch, maybe a cutter, he could really take a step forward. A 5-0 start with long run of scoreless innings isn't out of the question.
Last edited by Ask Not on Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup can be nuancy
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lololololololololo

This franchise isn't even trying to win ownership is laughing all the way to the bank.... should have never gave these Crooks a stadium. Haven't stepped foot in the stadium and I won't tell they sell the team ......or at least try and win. Shameful.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 am

Lo Cain
Carlos Santana
Jake Arrietta
Wade Davis

All these guys would've helped the Twins immensely in 2018. Lynn was a disaster. I actually liked that signing at the time, but it didn't pan out. LoMo was your typical low risk, high reward type signing that didn't pan out. The Twins did almost nothing this offseason to help the team IMO. It reminds me a lot of last offseason. Schoop? Sorry, he's terrible. Cron? LoMo 2.0. Parker? Another Addison Reed type signing. Nelly Cruz is your big name Lance Lynn type signing. I really hope Cruz makes a difference. He's the one bright spot signing, but he's almost 40. The Harper buzz is the same bs they pulled with Darvish last year. Nothing has changed. Nothing
I legitimately believe that they were going hard after Darvish last year, were outbid and once they saw what happened to him, they've gotten even more gun shy.

Dallas Keuchel would help, but they don't want to go down that road and have it blow up in their faces.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 pm Lololololololololo

This franchise isn't even trying to win ownership is laughing all the way to the bank.... should have never gave these Crooks a stadium. Haven't stepped foot in the stadium and I won't tell they sell the team ......or at least try and win. Shameful.
:clap:

Couldn't have said it better.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Lo Cain
Carlos Santana
Jake Arrietta
Wade Davis

I legitimately believe that they were going hard after Darvish last year, were outbid and once they saw what happened to him, they've gotten even more gun shy.

Dallas Keuchel would help, but they don't want to go down that road and have it blow up in their faces.
They were never serious about Darvish. Did they want him? Sure. I'm sure they want most of the big name players but they are not willing to pay them.

Lame excuse with the injury line. That can happen in any sport at any time. Vikings handed Cousins a 3 year guaranteed deal in a contact sport etc..

Darvish had a rough year but it's ONE year out of his deal.

This franchise is a complete joke. Let's never sign anyone worth a damn because "They might get injured"
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Cruz will be traded to a contender by the deadline for a bag of balls.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Lo Cain
Carlos Santana
Jake Arrietta
Wade Davis

They were never serious about Darvish. Did they want him? Sure. I'm sure they want most of the big name players but they are not willing to pay them.

Lame excuse with the injury line. That can happen in any sport at any time. Vikings handed Cousins a 3 year guaranteed deal in a contact sport etc..

This franchise is a complete joke. Let's never sign anyone worth a damn because "They might get injured"
I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it because I really think that is what their issue is.

In order to outbid the Cubs, we have to go up to 150 if they paid 126.

Darvish has an injury history and it's difficult for me to believe that he'll ever live up to that deal.

As far as Cousins goes, it's a 3 year deal, not a 6 year deal. If he gets dropped for good in week one, you only in it for 2 more years.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it because I really think that is what their issue is.

In order to outbid the Cubs, we have to go up to 150 if they paid 126.

Darvish has an injury history and it's difficult for me to believe that he'll ever live up to that deal.

As far as Cousins goes, it's a 3 year deal, not a 6 year deal. If he gets dropped for good in week one, you only in it for 2 more years.
Right. I wasn't implying you agreed. True but that's how baseball contracts work. I think it's ridiculous in any sport a guy getting more than 3-4 year's. Things change overnight.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master