Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

This day in history, 1973

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Hornets

This day in history, 1973

Post by Hornets »

Hard to believe but it's been 46 years since the designated hitter was adopted.....The Twins immediately took advantage of this by using Tony Oliva, one of the greatest Twins evah who would not have been able to continue his career due to knee issues...

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... itter-rule
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tommy_Hawk

Re: This day in history, 1973

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm Hard to believe but it's been 46 years since the designated hitter was adopted.....The Twins immediately took advantage of this by using Tony Oliva, one of the greatest Twins evah who would not have been able to continue his career due to knee issues...

Or this guy!

(^ Strikeout?)
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm Hard to believe but it's been 46 years since the designated hitter was adopted.....The Twins immediately took advantage of this by using Tony Oliva, one of the greatest Twins evah who would not have been able to continue his career due to knee issues...

i can see the argument that purists make that it hurt the game.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:03 am

i can see the argument that purists make that it hurt the game.
Maybe it's because my team is in the American League, I have never once wished they stopped having a DH. Most major sports have had tweaks of the rules through the years in attempts to make the game better, and more fan friendly. The DH has enabled quite a few great players over the years to extend their careers, and what's not to like about that?! I just wish the NL would start doing it so we don't have the World Series conundrum.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

I was at an old timers game back in 1975. 2 years after Tony retired. I was 10 years old but remember the blast he put over the right field bleachers into the parking lot. His knees sucked but he still could still hit. What a shame. :pissed:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

who got the first hit as a DH in '73? it'll probably be in the first paragraph of his obituary-it was that big of a deal. so somebody should probably post the answer in this thread.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am who got the first hit as a DH in '73? it'll probably be in the first paragraph of his obituary-it was that big of a deal. so somebody should probably post the answer in this thread.
OK...didn't want to cheat by looking so my guess was Tony-O. Did a search and as you apparently know it was Ron Blomberg who got the first hit, BUT Tony-O did get the first dinger as a DH!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am who got the first hit as a DH in '73? it'll probably be in the first paragraph of his obituary-it was that big of a deal. so somebody should probably post the answer in this thread.
OK...didn't want to cheat by looking so my guess was Tony-O. Did a search and as you apparently know it was Ron Blomberg who got the first hit, BUT Tony-O did get the first dinger as a DH!
oh yeah. it was a very much written about hit. didn't know about the dinger story though. link?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am
Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 am
oh yeah. it was a very much written about hit. didn't know about the dinger story though. link?
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/teamdh.shtml
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

good fast facts from both leagues. i would have thought i heard about tony o's home run-but i probably forgot. i think sports illustrated put blomberg on the cover with his hit. at least that's my recollection of that historic hit.
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

What's sad is with today's medicine, Tony's knees could have been fixed and he'd have been in the HOF for a long time now.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

dennis1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 am

What's sad is with today's medicine, Tony's knees could have been fixed and he'd have been in the HOF for a long time now.
for sure :thumbsup:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am
dennis1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 am

for sure :thumbsup:
If we went back in time we could probably come up with a boat load of names of great players who had their careers tragically cut short due to injury, especially to the knees. Two I can think of right away are Gayle Sayers and Billy Sims.....