Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

spring training thread

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Re: spring training thread

Post by Night Train »

Is the hype real this year... or will we be too far out by the end of May again?
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Night Train wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:51 pm Is the hype real this year... or will we be too far out by the end of May again?
It'll be over by June. Book it.
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Anyone attending games in Fort Myers? Looking at going in a few weeks.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 pm Anyone attending games in Fort Myers? Looking at going in a few weeks.
I'm moving to FL in a couple weeks. I'm gonna make a 3-hour drive and catch a couple of games.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 pm Anyone attending games in Fort Myers? Looking at going in a few weeks.
I'm moving to FL in a couple weeks. I'm gonna make a 3-hour drive and catch a couple of games.
Whoa, moving from where to where... if I may ask.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Whoa, moving from where to where... if I may ask.
Cherry Hill, NJ to Viera, FL.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Pitching coach Wes Johnson calls it the "Road to 95."

When Johnson visited left-hander Stephen Gonsalves in San Diego during the offseason, he brought suggestions to bring back the southpaw's lost velocity and clean up his mechanics. During his two innings of work in the Twins' rain-shortened 4-2 win over the Phillies on Wednesday, Gonsalves was thrilled to see the radar gun flash "93" on several occasions.

"As long as there's no more 86 and 87 [mph] fastballs, I'll be happy," Gonsalves said.

https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/stephen- ... s-velocity
salamander

Post by salamander »

Night Train wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:51 pm Is the hype real this year... or will we be too far out by the end of May again?
They spent Joe Mauer's contract plus a little more. That's spending big according to some Twins fans and the Pohlads.
To me, that's as much hype as this organization will ever see under the worst owners in all of sports (The Pohlads).

Prove me wrong Pohlads. I dare you.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm
They spent Joe Mauer's contract plus a little more. That's spending big according to some Twins fans and the Pohlads.
To me, that's as much hype as this organization will ever see under the worst owners in all of sports (The Pohlads).

Would Glen Taylor be the second worst owner in all of sports? :lol: At least this town is first in something.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

salamander

Post by salamander »

Night Train wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Would Glen Taylor be the second worst owner in all of sports? :lol: At least this town is first in something.
Dam it. You've got a point. We've got two ownership groups battling for worst owner in all of sports.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Taylor is probably #1.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Dam it. You've got a point. We've got two ownership groups battling for worst owner in all of sports.
That would be a good topic for the main board.

salamander

Post by salamander »

Night Train wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:48 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 pm

That would be a good topic for the main board.
Yes it would.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Texas Rangers acquired outfielder Zack Granite from Minnesota for right-hander Xavier Moore and $50,000, and the Twins dealt Moore to the Baltimore Orioles for $750,000 in 2019-20 international signing bonus pool allocation.

Granite was designated for assignment last week to clear a roster spot when Minnesota signed Marwin Gonzalez. Granite hit .237 in 40 games for the Twins in 2018, then batted .211 in 68 games for Triple-A Rochester in a season cut short because of a torn rotator cuff.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

2019 Minnesota Twins Season Preview: Can Byron Buxton, others to live up to potential?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/2019-minne ... 20780.html
salamander

Post by salamander »

I really want to go to a Twins game but I refuse to do so unless they are at league average. (To me this should be a minimum for any team that has playoff hopes)

The sad thing is the Pohlads would read this and say, "We can get to league average. BUT THAT'S AS HIGH AS WE'RE GOING!! And that's like a once few decades thing!"

This means I won't be going to any games for the foreseeable future because that's almost 130 Million which is crazy talk when it's the Pohlads who own this team. Fuck the cheap ass Pohlads because they're shitty owners.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

salamander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 pm I really want to go to a Twins game but I refuse to do so unless they are at league average. (To me this should be a minimum for any team that has playoff hopes)

The sad thing is the Pohlads would read this and say, "We can get to league average. BUT THAT'S AS HIGH AS WE'RE GOING!! And that's like a once few decades thing!"

This means I won't be going to any games for the foreseeable future because that's almost 130 Million which is crazy talk when it's the Pohlads who own this team. Fuck the cheap ass Pohlads because they're shitty owners.
The Pohlad's are cheap but free agency is not the way the Twins will be a winner. I have a bigger problem with the last front office drafting and developing poorly.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Get this damn snow melted and baseball back into my life. Holy shit, this season can't come soon enough.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:05 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 pm I really want to go to a Twins game but I refuse to do so unless they are at league average. (To me this should be a minimum for any team that has playoff hopes)

The Pohlad's are cheap but free agency is not the way the Twins will be a winner. I have a bigger problem with the last front office drafting and developing poorly.
A: Then I guess I'll never be going to another game and in a decade Target Field will be as empty as the Metrodome used to be.

B: It's not even necessarily free agency. It's letting players walk as soon as they get even a little bit too expensive.

C: We act like being below the average salary is spending big in this town (see this year). This is the mindset of losers. We were also promised better and lied to. It's time the Pohlads keep their promise that got them a public-ally funded stadium that netted them extra millions (billions) in their pockets.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 pm

A: Then I guess I'll never be going to another game and in a decade Target Field will be as empty as the Metrodome used to be.

B: It's not even necessarily free agency. It's letting players walk as soon as they get even a little bit too expensive.

C: We act like being below the average salary is spending big in this town (see this year). This is the mindset of losers. We were also promised better and lied to. It's time the Pohlads keep their promise that got them a public-ally funded stadium that netted them extra millions (billions) in their pockets.
Did you want them to sign Dozier, Santana or Morrison? I personally like Cruz, Gonzales and Schoop better. Are they legitimate contenders? No, but they have potential with this roster and the prospects they have in the minors. The true test for me will be once they become contenders, will they be aggressive enough. The reality is they will never be consistent contenders with their budget limitations. However, it's not impossible to hope they become the Kansas City Royals (2014-15) every once in a while.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Did you want them to sign Dozier, Santana or Morrison? I personally like Cruz, Gonzales and Schoop better. Are they legitimate contenders? No, but they have potential with this roster and the prospects they have in the minors. The true test for me will be once they become contenders, will they be aggressive enough. The reality is they will never be consistent contenders with their budget limitations. However, it's not impossible to hope they become the Kansas City Royals (2014-15) every once in a while.
A legit contender is anyone who can make the playoffs. That's us. A whole lot of stuff has to go right to get there. Need the end of the rotation to be solid. Need the pen to stay healthy. Need the youth to take another step. Need our pickups to be close to their prior numbers. Need to let the hitters hit. None of those are out of the question by any means. Individually I'd bet on each. All is a little more iffy.

But once you get to the playoffs it's not that involved. We were never the best team while winning World series. anything that gets you one game is huge. Injury on the other team. Big error. Crazy lucky HR by someone. Hot pitcher for us. Any little thing can change a series. But one thing I am counting on more than anything is not watching HR hitters take 2 and go the other way. trading outs to move the runner to try to score 1 run and all the other old school shit that always has our disappointment go to other teams and flourish.

I'm excited.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:23 pm

A legit contender is anyone who can make the playoffs. That's us. A whole lot of stuff has to go right to get there. Need the end of the rotation to be solid. Need the pen to stay healthy. Need the youth to take another step. Need our pickups to be close to their prior numbers. Need to let the hitters hit. None of those are out of the question by any means. Individually I'd bet on each. All is a little more iffy.

But once you get to the playoffs it's not that involved. We were never the best team while winning World series. anything that gets you one game is huge. Injury on the other team. Big error. Crazy lucky HR by someone. Hot pitcher for us. Any little thing can change a series. But one thing I am counting on more than anything is not watching HR hitters take 2 and go the other way. trading outs to move the runner to try to score 1 run and all the other old school shit that always has our disappointment go to other teams and flourish.

I'm excited.
I'll disagree with you. The Twins are playoff contenders, not title contenders. There's a big gap between them and the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

I don’t know if it’s going to transfer to the reg season or translate into wins, but it sure is nice to see them ripping the ball. Near the top of the league in HRs, RBI and average in ST. If he pitching is any good at all could be a fun competition in the central.
Last edited by boxter432 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

boxter432 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:46 pm I don’t know if it’s going to transfer to the reg season or translate into wins, but it sure is nice to see them ripping the ball. Near the top of the league in HRs, RBI and average in ST. If he lictchig is any good at all could be a fun competition in the central.
yep. five homeruns yesterday.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm
It'll be over by June. Book it.
This.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »