Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

spring training thread

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Re: spring training countdown thread

Post by weimy froob »

time to turn the paige. another day closer to things heating up on a season i'm already excited for.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

no more football game distractions. we're under double digits in days remaining and baseball fever is going to seriously heat up now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

just a week to go-and counting.
Spoiler:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins: Five things to know as spring training begins

ST. PETERSBURG, FL – AUGUST 25: Miguel Sano #22 of the Minnesota Twins celebrates at the plate with teammate Byron Buxton #25 following his three-run home run during the first inning of a game against the Tampa Bay Rays on August 25, 2015 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.

By BETSY HELFAND | bhelfand@pioneerpress.com |
PUBLISHED: February 8, 2019 at 5:03 pm | UPDATED: February 8, 2019 at 5:03 pm

The past two weeks have brought bitter cold and waves of snow to the Twin Cities.

But as winter continues to drag along in Minnesota, the Twins are heading south to warmer weather, gearing up to begin spring training down in sunny Fort Myers, Fla.

Here are five things to know as Twins camp opens up this week:

SPRING CHANGES
When the Twins hit the field, expect some changes with regard to how spring training workouts are conducted now that new manager Rocco Baldelli is running the show.

Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey said the team would push back start times, and the team is looking to utilize its time more efficiently, with players spending less time standing around and more time doing targeted work.

“The overarching premise here is to really think more about individualized work (and) really trying to get each player a specific focus around some areas that they’ll be working on,” Falvey said.

BOUNCE-BACK SEASON
The Twins are looking for big bounce-back seasons from a number of players, especially Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano.

A year removed from being an all-star with the Orioles, second baseman Jonathan Schoop is another player Twins will be relying on after he had a down year in 2017.

“I think we certainly want to see some guys rebound relative to last year and I fully expect that we’re in a good place around that,” Falvey said. “On the position player side, I’m looking to see some rebound from some of our group and just overall health.”

Spring training numbers are difficult to put much stock in, but the Twins should get plenty of early clues this spring.

“I don’t know that we’ll have true answers on full bounce back for that group, but I am hopeful that physically they’re in good places to compete right from the get-go,” Falvey said.

PITCHING COMPETITION
The Twins signed Martin Perez last month, and the veteran lefty appears to be the frontrunner to slot into the fifth spot of the rotation.

There appear to be five locks in the bullpen — Trevor May, Trevor Hildenberger, Blake Parker, Addison Reed and Taylor Rogers — so the Twins will have a battle for the remaining spots, with guys like Fernando Romero and Adalberto Mejia among those in the mix.

“I think there’s some competition certainly in the bullpen group,” Falvey said. “There’s some young arms (with) a chance to maybe establish themselves in different ways, guys that have had some up and down historically that now are at a stage with respect to service time where they’ve really established themselves at the big-league level and can make an impact.”

KEY DATES
The Twins will hold their first workout for pitchers and catchers on Thursday, Feb. 14. Four days later, the whole team will work out together for the first time.

They will play their first spring training games on Feb. 23, split-squad affairs against Tampa Bay at home and at Baltimore.

The Twins’ final game in Florida this spring will be March 26 against Colorado. Then, they head home for Opening Day at Target Field on March 28 against the Cleveland Indians.

HOW TO FOLLOW ALONG
For fans wishing to follow along with the Twins, select games can be watched on TV, with Fox Sports North televising 11 games. ESPN will broadcast the Twins’ March 7 game against the Boston Red Sox, their Fort Myers neighbor.

Twenty more games will be available to listen to either on WCCO radio or the Treasure Island Baseball Network, and broadcasts can be streamed at the Twins’ official website, too.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Curious how the team will do with Baldelli managing. From a wins/loss perspective I don’t think there’s going to be significant movement. Maybe 3-5 wins more?
BBG

Post by BBG »

I'm excited to see Schoop and Perez but Roco will be the difference maker.

Book it
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's pitchers and catchers report eve. tomorrow's the big day. full participation on the 18th. baseball, boys. it's back!
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

I like how Mad Dog's accent is so thick that the subtitles screw up. When he brought up Cruz, he said: "I tell ya Cruz" and it thought he said "Ted Cruz" and then he said "140 games" and it thought he said "440 games".
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 am
I like how Mad Dog's accent is so thick that the subtitles screw up. When he brought up Cruz, he said: "I tell ya Cruz" and it thought he said "Ted Cruz" and then he said "140 games" and it thought he said "440 games".

this guy has made so much money talking sports-that it's almost obscene. what a country!
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 am
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 am

this guy has made so much money talking sports-that it's almost obscene. what a country!
Yep. He still is. Yelling at the camera on MLB Network.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins Spring Training 2019: Five stories to watch

Let’s take a look at what will be the most interesting potential developments for the Twins over the next few weeks

https://www.twinkietown.com/2019/2/19/1 ... ree-agents
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

anyone have a recent pic of Sano?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Slim Shady wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:11 pm anyone have a recent pic of Sano?
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

The FIRST spring training game of the year kicks off today @ 2:05 between the M's and A's in fabulous Mesa, AZ!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:13 am The FIRST spring training game of the year kicks off today @ 2:05 between the M's and A's in fabulous Mesa, AZ!
:clap:

twins vs. orioles on saturday.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:53 am
thanks, Weimy
weimy froob

Re: spring training thread

Post by weimy froob »

Twins open with split-squad action
The Twins will face the O's on the road on MLB.TV on Saturday and then the Rays in the nightcap at 5:05 CT at home.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Will the Twins be fielding a major league roster this year?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am Will the Twins be fielding a major league roster this year?
Hope springs eternal Bob! The older one gets the more he appreciates the start of a new season. New players, new optimism. The snow will be melting soon and the smell of freshly cut grass will be oozing through your neighborhood. Baseball is here again and what's not to like? This squad could win 90 and they could lose 90.....how compelling is that!

Win Twins!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Orioles take down the Twins 7-2. Season over ;)
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 pm Orioles take down the Twins 7-2. Season over ;)
I'm much more interested in the night game. More regulars in that lineup.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 pm Orioles take down the Twins 7-2. Season over ;)
Twins 10
Rays 5 season saved
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:04 pm
Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Twins 10
Rays 5 season saved
:lol:

Nice game.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Fernando Romero has five weeks of Grapefruit League games to prepare for his new role in the bullpen. No rush, right? Just ease into it?

That’s not how the righthander plays, however.

“Any time I’m out there, I’m bringing 100 percent,” Romero said after getting the Rays’ attention with fastballs that hit 97 miles per hour on the stadium gun Saturday.

Romero struck out two in his one-inning Grapefruit League debut, Byron Buxton drove in five runs with a single and a home run and the Twins handed Rocco Baldelli his first spring victory as a manager, 10-5 over Tampa Bay at Hammond Stadium.

“I’m not worried about velocity,” Romero said after his impressive spring debut. “I’m just trying to throw the ball well. I’ve got to keep working at it.”

Minnesota
1-1
vs.
Boston
1-0
Sun, Feb 24
12:05 PM CST
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Kepler with a couple dingers last night.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

boxter432 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ketchup can be nuancy