Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Nelson Cruz

A place to discuss the MN Twins
j2j

Re: Nelson Cruz

Post by j2j »

What's an updated starting 9 look like now?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:40 am Jesus Christ typical Minnesota Twins go get some washed-up has-been hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. This is why I will never go to a game at Target Field until ownership either shows me that they're trying a
or they sell the team. Why we gave those Crooks a new stadium is beyond me.
This. Said a week or two ago this would be a move the Twins would likely make.

There's your big signing folks!

Prediction: He won't make it through a full year here. Twins will suck and deal him at the deadline to a playoff contender.

#TwinsWay
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

Post by full force five »

I don't think this is a typical twins move. Our middle of the line-up with Cruz, Cron, Sano, Schoop, Rosario and hopefully Buxton that's not terrible.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

full force five wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:52 pm I don't think this is a typical twins move. Our middle of the line-up with Cruz, Cron, Sano, Schoop, Rosario and hopefully Buxton that's not terrible.
I don't think it's terrible, but it's a HR or bust lineup. No speed beyond Buxton and Rosario.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Washed up has been? He’s off back to back all star games and a year removed from a silver slugger.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

j2j wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm What's an updated starting 9 look like now?
Buxton
Rosario/Austin
Cruz
Schoop
Polanco
Cron/Austin
Sano
Kepler/Austin
Castro
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:59 pm Washed up has been? He’s off back to back all star games and a year removed from a silver slugger.
Nobody has hit more home runs the last 5 years. NOBODY!
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Pieces are in place!

I like the additions thusfar. Now some arms. :thumbsup:
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

j2j wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm What's an updated starting 9 look like now?
Would assume something like this:
C- Castro
1B- Cron
2B- Schoop
SS-Polanco
3B- Sano
LF- Rosario
CF- Buxton
RF-Kepler
DH- Cruz

Bench
Austin
Garver or Gimenez
Adrianza or Arraez
Granite

I still am curious to see how long they leave Sano at 3B. I think if you can find an option at 3B you move him to 1B. Not sure if thats an option with Cron.

I would assume they are done with adding Schoop, Scron and Cruz. Three solid additions.

Now they need to work on pitching.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

full force five wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:52 pm I don't think this is a typical twins move. Our middle of the line-up with Cruz, Cron, Sano, Schoop, Rosario and hopefully Buxton that's not terrible.
It's not terrible but it's pretty damned right handed. Austin and Garver are also right handed.
Ketchup can be nuancy
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Style wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:18 am
Style wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 am

Can he still face Twins pitching while hitting for the Twins?
:lol: touché
I kid. Sorta. But regardless, it's still a nice signing. The team needs pop. The team option for next year is gravy.
I mean, I tried to avoid that obvious fact. Maybe it's just the lovely view of Minnie and Paul?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I really thing Cruz will influence Mr. Sano in a positive way....I'll go out on a limb and say the 2 of them will hit 70+ dingers between them!

WIN TWINS!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:03 pm
Buxton
Rosario/Austin
Cruz
Schoop
Polanco
Cron/Austin
Sano
Kepler/Austin
Castro
I would have liked Wilson Ramos in there -- Castro could have been the backup or traded and Twins pick up the money.

Rest of the lineup.. meh. Hopefully Sano/Buxton can finally put it together, I'm losing faith in Kepler, if there was any, Polanco and Rosario are nice pieces. Hopefully some pop from Cron/Cruz/Austin.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:21 pm
Buxton
Rosario/Austin
Cruz
Schoop
Polanco
Cron/Austin
Sano
Kepler/Austin
Castro
I would have liked Wilson Ramos in there -- Castro could have been the backup or traded and Twins pick up the money.

Rest of the lineup.. meh. Hopefully Sano/Buxton can finally put it together, I'm losing faith in Kepler, if there was any, Polanco and Rosario are nice pieces. Hopefully some pop from Cron/Cruz/Austin.
Yeah but remember that month Kepler had that one year.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Buxton
Rosario/Austin
Cruz
Schoop
Polanco
Cron/Austin
Sano
Kepler/Austin
Castro

OBP #’s for this lineup could be collectively atrocious, maybe worst in the league. Lots of pop, but boom or bust. It’s a different approach than we’re used to, maybe it pans out?

I’m still really concerned about pitching.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

This lineup is better with him than without him and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Who did some of you guys seriously expect them to get? Harper and Machado?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Buxton
Rosario/Austin
Cruz
Schoop
Polanco
Cron/Austin
Sano
Kepler/Austin
Castro

OBP #’s for this lineup could be collectively atrocious, maybe worst in the league. Lots of pop, but boom or bust. It’s a different approach than we’re used to, maybe it pans out?

I’m still really concerned about pitching.
As long as Buxton and Sano are both allowed to play often enough they will each easily rack up 200+ strikeouts and that alone (not to mention their likely abysmal BA's) will make the team OBP atrocious. You are quite right to be concerned with the pitching though. Its among the worst in MLB if not the very worst. It will need to be upgraded or we'll be looking at another 90+ loss season. Again.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 pm I'll believe it when I see it
Believe!!!!

I'm a little surprised he decided to sign with MN. It'll help the lineup quite a bit. He has a solid OBP as well. This doesn't help our rotation that has been without an ace for over a decade. I expect at least 30 bombs from him from the right side of the plate. Something the Twins were second to last in the league at doing with only 62 HR's from the right side. Good for the Twins by overpaying him. It's what you have to do until you change the culture. Bo Sox and Astros were really interested in him.
Last edited by Small Hands on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Looks like we learned our lesson for not signing Frank Thomas in 06, instead opting for Ron DL White.

Probably would have won the WS.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Polanco
Rosario
Sano
Cruz
Kepler
Schoop
Castro
Buxton

Berrios
Gibby
Pineda
Odorizzi
???
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Go White Sox
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43 am I'm fine with it. Rumors of releasing Tyler Austin now are comical though. Why would they do that?
Tyler is a swag bag douchebag. That's why.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

D_B_U wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 am I like the move. Big bat who can help the young dudes.
Show them how to juice more?
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm Polanco
Rosario
Sano
Cruz
Kepler
Schoop
Castro
Buxton

Berrios
Gibby
Pineda
Odorizzi
???
There's some POP in that lineup! LOVE IT!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I remember wanting the Twins to sign Cruz like 5 year's ago.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 pm I'll believe it when I see it
Believe!!!!

I'm a little surprised he decided to sign with MN. It'll help the lineup quite a bit. He has a solid OBP as well. This doesn't help our rotation that has been without an ace for over a decade. I expect at least 30 bombs from him from the right side of the plate. Something the Twins were second to last in the league at doing with only 62 HR's from the right side. Good for the Twins by overpaying him. It's what you have to do until you change the culture. Bo Sox and Astros were really interested in him.
Very glad I was wrong :thumbsup:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

I'm hoping Cruz has an influence on Sano. Make him his locker buddy, it couldn't hurt.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

JPM wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:32 pmGo White Sox
Clark has gone to the dark side!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:03 pm Looks like we learned our lesson for not signing Frank Thomas in 06, instead opting for Ron DL White.

Probably would have won the WS.
100%
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

14 mill?

seems heavy to me....but if he can rub Sano the right way and produce a little it is money well spent.