Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Nelson Cruz

A place to discuss the MN Twins
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Nelson Cruz

Post by HeHateMe »

Cruz was a fantastic signing, no way around it. Schoop and Cron have filled in fine though I'm not sure either is back next year. Cron have any arbitration left or he gone?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:05 pm Cruz was a fantastic signing, no way around it. Schoop and Cron have filled in fine though I'm not sure either is back next year. Cron have any arbitration left or he gone?
Schoop is for sure gone. Cron is arbitration eligible and I am not sure but I think he is someone they take a long look at.
Housedealer21

Post by Housedealer21 »

Hornets wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:16 pm I really thing Cruz will influence Mr. Sano in a positive way....I'll go out on a limb and say the 2 of them will hit 70+ dingers between them!

WIN TWINS!!
WOW! Nice prediction Gus!! :naners:
Great prediction!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Housedealer21 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:16 pm I really thing Cruz will influence Mr. Sano in a positive way....I'll go out on a limb and say the 2 of them will hit 70+ dingers between them!

WIN TWINS!!
WOW! Nice prediction Gus!! :naners:
Great prediction!
Yes, it was quite good! :thumbsup:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

I hated the signing.... I thought it was an attempt to fill seats by trying to prove they would spend a little bit of money... by signing an old guy... who had recently put up stats.

I thought he had no place on this team... he was older than the manager... and he wouldn’t even be around anymore... if or when they became “good”.

He’s three years older than Mauer!

And I was 100% wrong.

He played... like an MVP... not like the Twins MVP.... like the AL MVP.

I haven’t ever seen a 39 year old baseball player look like he’s playing at his best at that age...

Think about Thome.... Winfield... Molitor... etc. at age 39....
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

And I’m not ripping on Thome, Winfield or Molitor... they were all still good at that age...

But they weren’t having a stretch where they hit 5 homeruns and 4 doubles in a series against a team.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Just been really fun watchin Nelson hit all these bombas!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

According to some in here, he should not even the team MVP. He will get votes for league MVP, but I think Bregman wins, because Cruz doesn't contribute in the field.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:01 am
According to some in here, he should not even the team MVP. He will get votes for league MVP, but I think Bregman wins, because Cruz doesn't contribute in the field.
i think eddie's a close secondfor team mvp because the plays the field. the bosox game is an example of that value. but nelson's stats are right there. i think he'll finish second or third in the voting. either behind or ahead of trout.

kepler before getting hurt was right there too as far as team mvp.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Has a full-time DH ever won an MVP? I Know Ortiz has some postseason MVPs, but I don't think he ever won league MVP.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:51 pm
Has a full-time DH ever won an MVP? I Know Ortiz has some postseason MVPs, but I don't think he ever won league MVP.
nope.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Main thing with Cruz.. it's so nice to finally have the most intimidating bat on the field in most every game - scares the shit out of most pitchers and sets up his teammates too.

Cruz has just seen it all and is the most accomplished player on the field but also still has the elite production. Someone mentioned it, but he's like what it could have been with Ortiz still in MN in his prime.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am

Eddie the team MVP?

No.

He’s had a great year and has put up great stats.

But there’s still times... brief occurrences... where he does something.... where he looks like a rookie who needs to be sent down to Rochester.

Striking out on a pitch that bounces in front of the plate....

admiring a home run... which hits high on the wall...

And then trying to stretch that into a triple... and getting thrown out... for the third out at third base in a close game?

I guess with Eddie, you’ve gotta take the good with the bad now... but he would’ve gotten his ass chewed a few years ago for some of the stuff he still does.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sano is this teams MVP.

Pohlads got a white girl he can take out?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Real Ted wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:12 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am

Eddie the team MVP?

No.

He’s had a great year and has put up great stats.

But there’s still times... brief occurrences... where he does something.... where he looks like a rookie who needs to be sent down to Rochester.

Striking out on a pitch that bounces in front of the plate....

admiring a home run... which hits high on the wall...

And then trying to stretch that into a triple... and getting thrown out... for the third out at third base in a close game?

I guess with Eddie, you’ve gotta take the good with the bad now... but he would’ve gotten his ass chewed a few years ago for some of the stuff he still does.
he butchered a ball against the mets that opened up the floodgates and got benched the next day. got thrown out at third against the white sox when he was admiring the ball in the box. he had plenty of pop ups to third base with runners on base too. but he also gunned out a runner at home to save a game against the red sox. and plenty of big hits all year. i'd put him in second-ahead of kepler and behind cruz in the team mvp race.

you screwed up that quote function pretty good on this too. that's not what i said.