Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins to sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Small Hands

Re: Twins to sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

Post by Small Hands »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 pm
Small Hands wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:47 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am I got a feeling that we actually have 2 major things going against us in Free agency. The obvious....frugal ways, but also I don't think top free agents (with options) want to come here. I'm sure they sniff around and do their due diligence on players, but to no avail. People always say "money is all that matters", with free agents, but that's mostly for has beens, recently injured, and players with limited options.

I'm sure if we got to see all the swing and miss offers through the years it would be insanely eye opening.
The Twins can bring in quality players by offering the most money. That's what happened with Cruz. He had strong interest from the WS champion Redsox and HOU, but chose us because we offered the most money. That's what you have to do in small markets. The Twins have never overpaid and hoped that prospects would form into stars. This approach hasn't worked for them over the last decade.
You're kind of agreeing with me, Cruz is technically a has-been at 38 years old and went for the most money. He's exactly the kind of free agent we can land. But a good player in his prime is a different story.
"Has been" is probably a bit much. He still put up great numbers last season and will be our best hitter the second he steps into spring training. Yes, he's past his prime, but I wouldn't call him a has been. He's still doing it at a high level. Could he fall off a cliff? Sure, but I don't see anything that suggests it'll happen right away. His OPS was right at his career avg last season.