Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins to sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

A place to discuss the MN Twins
bubu dubu.

Re: Twins to sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

Post by bubu dubu. »

I understand the frustration some have of not being aggressive in free agency, but is there really anything to knock about this move?

The only way I think you can knock this move is if you think he will be so good, and we didn't have him locked up. If he sucks, oh well.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 pm I understand the frustration some have of not being aggressive in free agency, but is there really anything to knock about this move?

The only way I think you can knock this move is if you think he will be so good, and we didn't have him locked up. If he sucks, oh well.
He's a great signing. Guy is 27 and was an All Star in 2017. Well worth the risk.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 pm I understand the frustration some have of not being aggressive in free agency, but is there really anything to knock about this move?

He's a great signing. Guy is 27 and was an All Star in 2017. Well worth the risk.
what risk? 1 year and 7 mill is not a risk.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 pm

what risk? 1 year and 7 mill is not a risk.
Yeah "risk" wasn't the right word. At worst, he's a stop-gap.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Oh goody dumpster diving again :thumbsdown:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm His OBP is atrocious. He's a bit of an upgrade from Forsythe I guess.
He signed a 1 year deal worth 7 million. That's all you need to know about how sought after he was.

Bingo bud!

What is our next move inking a 38 year old pitcher who won 20 games 10 years ago hoping we catch lightning in a bottle

Geeeeeeeeez :zzz:
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Slim Shady wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:13 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 pm He's a decent bridge player till some of the top prospects arrive.
:lol: :lol:
What's your realistic offseason plan? Sign Harper, Machado and Kimbel? :roll:
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

It is a good signing unless you want to watch minor league trash and Nick Gordon (who sucks) battle it out for the starting job at 2B. I would have preferred a guy like LeMahieu or Murphy but all things considered this is an acceptable consolation prize. He's a dead pull right-handed hitter which should suit him well at Target Field.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm It is a good signing unless you want to watch minor league trash and Nick Gordon (who sucks) battle it out for the starting job at 2B. I would have preferred a guy like LeMahieu or Murphy but all things considered this is an acceptable consolation prize. He's a dead pull right-handed hitter which should suit him well at Target Field.
Yep. If Gordon didn’t blow at AAA they would’ve given him a shot. This is decent signing.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 pm He's a decent bridge player till some of the top prospects arrive.
I think he's laughing at the "top prospects" part, since it worked out so well with Buxton, Sano, etc.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 pm

I think he's laughing at the "top prospects" part, since it worked out so well with Buxton, Sano, etc.
The reality is the Twins will need to draft and develop the majority of their roster if they ever want to contend for a title.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm It is a good signing unless you want to watch minor league trash and Nick Gordon (who sucks) battle it out for the starting job at 2B. I would have preferred a guy like LeMahieu or Murphy but all things considered this is an acceptable consolation prize. He's a dead pull right-handed hitter which should suit him well at Target Field.
I'm giving Gordon another full year before giving up....I still think he can be a solid MLB playa!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 pm
I'm giving Gordon another full year before giving up....I still think he can be a solid MLB playa!
Yeah, out of the 4 major sports, I think MLB is the top one where you have to be extremely patient with prospects. Can take a kid til he's on the older side of 25 to figure things out.

Not counting on it, but man would it be great if Sano, Buxton and Kepler all clicked this year.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:42 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 pm
Yeah, out of the 4 major sports, I think MLB is the top one where you have to be extremely patient with prospects. Can take a kid til he's on the older side of 25 to figure things out.

Not counting on it, but man would it be great if Sano, Buxton and Kepler all clicked this year.
YES!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

I was laughing at "till some of the top prospects arrive."
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

There is a gigantic gap between LeMahieu and Schoop. Schoop had a .266 OBP last season. That is beyond bad. You will be annoyed watching him at the plate. But hey, he can run into one every now and then. :roll:

CJ Cron and Schoop as our big offseason gets. This team is in big big trouble. Get ready for 90+ losses again.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:26 am

There is a gigantic gap between LeMahieu and Schoop.
Schoop had a .266 OBP last season. That is beyond bad. You will be annoyed watching him at the plate. But hey, he can run into one every now and then. :roll:

CJ Cron and Schoop as our big offseason gets. This team is in big big trouble. Get ready for 90+ losses again.
Which is precisely why I stated I would have preferred LeMahieu over Scoop. :idea:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Schoop had a .266 OBP last season. That is beyond bad. You will be annoyed watching him at the plate. But hey, he can run into one every now and then. :roll:

Which is precisely why I stated I would have preferred LeMahieu over Scoop. :idea:
And I'm saying this isn't a "acceptable consolation prize". I wouldn't consider him a prize at all.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Small Hands wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am

And I'm saying this isn't a "acceptable consolation prize". I wouldn't consider him a prize at all.
So what is your solution then? Platoon Adrianza and Peit at 2B while Polanco kicks 2-3 ground balls he tries to field every week over at SS?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Tell Gordon he has to give up his "hip-hop" career if he wants to be in The Show. Let him platoon/utility at 2nd with Adrianza. Perhaps he overtakes Schoop by the break.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm Tell Gordon he has to give up his "hip-hop" career if he wants to be in The Show. Let him platoon/utility at 2nd with Adrianza. Perhaps he overtakes Schoop by the break.
Gordon sucks. The fascination with him among Twins fans is bizarre to say the least. He's strikes out a lot for a guy with no power and for a middle infielder his speed on the bases is average at best (don't be fooled just because of who his brother is). Basically he's a poor man's Ben Revere (again, without the speed) at the absolute zenith of his ceiling, but I'm fairly sure he'll be lucky if he has a better career than Ehire Adrianza and I'm dead serious.

In addition,the fact that he has more interest in music than he does baseball doesn't exactly give you the impression that he'll be able to put the breaks on or even reverse the trend of regression to said baseball career.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Look at the bright side, it could have been Ian Kinsler instead.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm Tell Gordon he has to give up his "hip-hop" career if he wants to be in The Show. Let him platoon/utility at 2nd with Adrianza. Perhaps he overtakes Schoop by the break.
Gordon sucks. The fascination with him among Twins fans is bizarre to say the least. He's strikes out a lot for a guy with no power and for a middle infielder his speed on the bases is average at best (don't be fooled just because of who his brother is). Basically he's a poor man's Ben Revere (again, without the speed) at the absolute zenith of his ceiling, but I'm fairly sure he'll be lucky if he has a better career than Ehire Adrianza and I'm dead serious.

In addition,the fact that he has more interest in music than he does baseball doesn't exactly give you the impression that he'll be able to put the breaks on or even reverse the trend of regression to said baseball career.
this is a very downbeat take. i hope for the organization's sake you're wrong. i'd say that the odds that you are though are not very good. and waning by the at-bat.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:34 pm

So what is your solution then? Platoon Adrianza and Peit at 2B while Polanco kicks 2-3 ground balls he tries to field every week over at SS?
There's no in between. All or nothing. How about Asdrubal Cabrera? Daniel Descalso?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Small Hands wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:27 am
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:34 pm

There's no in between. All or nothing. How about Asdrubal Cabrera? Daniel Descalso?
Fair enough, players such as those would work as well. Both of them along with Schoop are modest improvements over what was currently on the roster and all of them have their limitations. Personally, I think it's splitting hairs but if you think they are vastly superior players to Schoop then I can see your point.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I got a feeling that we actually have 2 major things going against us in Free agency. The obvious....frugal ways, but also I don't think top free agents (with options) want to come here. I'm sure they sniff around and do their due diligence on players, but to no avail. People always say "money is all that matters", with free agents, but that's mostly for has beens, recently injured, and players with limited options.

I'm sure if we got to see all the swing and miss offers through the years it would be insanely eye opening.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am I got a feeling that we actually have 2 major things going against us in Free agency. The obvious....frugal ways, but also I don't think top free agents (with options) want to come here. I'm sure they sniff around and do their due diligence on players, but to no avail. People always say "money is all that matters", with free agents, but that's mostly for has beens, recently injured, and players with limited options.

I'm sure if we got to see all the swing and miss offers through the years it would be insanely eye opening.
The Twins can bring in quality players by offering the most money. That's what happened with Cruz. He had strong interest from the WS champion Redsox and HOU, but chose us because we offered the most money. That's what you have to do in small markets. The Twins have never overpaid and hoped that prospects would form into stars. This approach hasn't worked for them over the last decade.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:47 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am I got a feeling that we actually have 2 major things going against us in Free agency. The obvious....frugal ways, but also I don't think top free agents (with options) want to come here. I'm sure they sniff around and do their due diligence on players, but to no avail. People always say "money is all that matters", with free agents, but that's mostly for has beens, recently injured, and players with limited options.

The Twins can bring in quality players by offering the most money. That's what happened with Cruz. He had strong interest from the WS champion Redsox and HOU, but chose us because we offered the most money. That's what you have to do in small markets. The Twins have never overpaid and hoped that prospects would form into stars. This approach hasn't worked for them over the last decade.
Its a strategy that can work, but the failure here has been getting the right prospects. I like the low risk moves in free agency with the one year contracts that have been handed out to band-aid positions until a prospect can take it over. The issue has been that not a lot of the prospects have the ability to take over. The issue with this team right now is that it hinges so much on Buxton and Sano, which was the doing of the old regime, not the Falvine regime. the Falvine regime has my patience until their prospects are the ones that need to take the organization over.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Its a strategy that can work, but the failure here has been getting the right prospects. I like the low risk moves in free agency with the one year contracts that have been handed out to band-aid positions until a prospect can take it over. The issue has been that not a lot of the prospects have the ability to take over. The issue with this team right now is that it hinges so much on Buxton and Sano, which was the doing of the old regime, not the Falvine regime. the Falvine regime has my patience until their prospects are the ones that need to take the organization over.
Good post. That’s fair.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

You're kind of agreeing with me, Cruz is technically a has-been at 38 years old and went for the most money. He's exactly the kind of free agent we can land. But a good player in his prime is a different story.