Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins claim CJ Cron

A place to discuss the MN Twins
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Twins claim CJ Cron

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Tommy_Hawk

Re: Twins claim CJ Cron

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 pm
"We were looking at aquiring Paul Goldschmidt, but CJ Cron fell in our lap. This offseason was a success"- Twins FO

Nice pickup for the Twins, as long as he's not anothet LoMo.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

It made way too much sense when Cron was released for the Twins to try and grab him. Anything for less Robbie Grossman, IMO.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Is he just a right handed version of Lo Mo? Wow....that's exciting.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm It made way too much sense when Cron was released for the Twins to try and grab him. Anything for less Robbie Grossman, IMO.
True. He is still only 28 but he's never hit over 16 HR's in a year until last year. We will see how it goes.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

No compliants from me.

All the LoMo hate is overdone. Yes he didnt pan out for us. But at the time it was a positive signing.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

full force five

Post by full force five »

Meh. This smells like LOMO and a typical twins move. He's hit double digit HR's, young still and could be functional. We will see. This keeps Sano at 3rd for now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 am Meh. This smells like LOMO and a typical twins move. He's hit double digit HR's, young still and could be functional. We will see. This keeps Sano at 3rd for now.
Gives them another DH/1B option of course. Needed one without Mauer in there. Austin/Cron/Sano... now do something crazy and get Nelson Cruz. :thinking:
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Hope this addresses a need while allowing for some other moves to be made that might have been a bit "pie in the sky". The timing is great...the Morrison and Lynn moves were late late additions last year. This being so early in the game should allow strategery, and who doesn't like the opportunity to strategerize.
full force five

Post by full force five »

It does give them a 1B/DH option, a need. I just wish at some point they would aim higher.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Not bad. Hopefully it's just insurance, and they have some other players in mind. Likely, they are done with 1B though
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Why not Kennys??
Style

Post by Style »

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Hornets wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am Why not Kennys??
He signed in Japan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/ ... rines.html
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

dennis1 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am Why not Kennys??
He signed in Japan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/ ... rines.html
Wow! Didn't know that....hope he hits 50+ this coming year and makes his way back to the MLB!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I'm surprised how much negativity there is for a waiver claim. If they find something better, they can send him packing. Why not?
Ketchup can be nuancy
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm It made way too much sense when Cron was released for the Twins to try and grab him. Anything for less Robbie Grossman, IMO.
This tells me that Robbie is getting non-tendered.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm I'm surprised how much negativity there is for a waiver claim. If they find something better, they can send him packing. Why not?
Its not a bad move alone. The negativity toward it, is more sarcasm because a stereotypical move would be for this to be their solution at first.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

The big question is can we get him the at-bats.

One of the main reasons he hit 30 homers in TB was he got way more AB's.

In LA he was getting 378,407,339. He got 501 in TB.

His ratio of AB/HR got better but wasnt crazy drastic. In TB it was a homer for every 18.5 AB's. His last year in LA was a HR for every 21 AB.

Dont mind the move but I doubt he sees that many at bats here. I throw him at 12-15 homers if he is around the 350 AB's
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Isnt he one of Rocco's guys? That didnt occur to me initially. Maybe his metrics fit in well with the new direction this team is going.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Get back to me when the Pohlads decide to spend money on some high dollar players.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

salamander wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 pm Get back to me when the Pohlads decide to spend money on some high dollar players.
Here ya go big guy!!

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/29/t ... -for-2019/
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Fun thread to look back on right now. Cron is the shit.

Not too many of us were that high on him. Some recognized it as a solid move, but I don't think even those people were expecting this. I think many still had LoMo too fresh in their minds. Its looking like Falvine got a steal here.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Great fit
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:01 pm Fun thread to look back on right now. Cron is the shit.

Not too many of us were that high on him. Some recognized it as a solid move, but I don't think even those people were expecting this. I think many still had LoMo too fresh in their minds. Its looking like Falvine got a steal here.
I promise the Angels see this one as an "oopsie". Everyone clamors for superstar signings, but there is always a trickle down effect. No doubt Pujols and his massive contract nudged CJ out the door, especially when Ohtanhi became an option.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

feekdogg wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:24 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:01 pm Fun thread to look back on right now. Cron is the shit.

I promise the Angels see this one as an "oopsie". Everyone clamors for superstar signings, but there is always a trickle down effect. No doubt Pujols and his massive contract nudged CJ out the door, especially when Ohtanhi became an option.
To be fair the Angels gave Cron enough AB's for him to earn a regular roster spot for the forseeable future and he just never got the job done. Sort of like their version of Kennys Vargas I suppose, but with slightly greater expectations. For whatever reason it never clicked, but seemed to figure it out last year in TB. Simply a late bloomer IMO, but the Angels are known for being exceptionally poor at drafting and developing players so maybe they aren't completely blameless in this matter?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:42 am

To be fair the Angels gave Cron enough AB's for him to earn a regular roster spot for the forseeable future and he just never got the job done. Sort of like their version of Kennys Vargas I suppose, but with slightly greater expectations. For whatever reason it never clicked, but seemed to figure it out last year in TB. Simply a late bloomer IMO, but the Angels are known for being exceptionally poor at drafting and developing players so maybe they aren't completely blameless in this matter?
Vargas is a pretty decent comparison. I think Cron's development got hurt based on his and the team's inconsistencies. He got chances, but he also got sent up and down a bunch of times and lost AB's to guys at the end of their run, like Raul Ibanez or Luis Valbuena. Cron was a first round pick, so I'd have figured he'd get a little longer leash.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

feekdogg wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 am

Vargas is a pretty decent comparison. I think Cron's development got hurt based on his and the team's inconsistencies. He got chances, but he also got sent up and down a bunch of times and lost AB's to guys at the end of their run, like Raul Ibanez or Luis Valbuena. Cron was a first round pick, so I'd have figured he'd get a little longer leash.
Right. Probably trying too hard because he didn't want to go back to the minors type of thing and he couldn't break out of that cycle. Basically, a classic example of a guy who for whatever reason just needed a change of scenery.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 am

Right. Probably trying too hard because he didn't want to go back to the minors type of thing and he couldn't break out of that cycle. Basically, a classic example of a guy who for whatever reason just needed a change of scenery.
Completely agree, guys.

I don’t think he’ll ever hit for average, that’s not who he is. 30+ bombs hitting .260 would be fantastic. Remember, his OPS last year was over .800. I’m kinda surprised the Angels let him go.