Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins going after Paul Goldschmidt?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Twins going after Paul Goldschmidt?

Post by RubeTube »

I'm SHOCKED the Twins didn't get him.

Time for the fake Harper and Machado news next.

Get ready for the BIG welcoming back of Brian Dozier on a "Team friendly" deal.

#TheTwinsWay
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:10 pm St Louis Cardinals got him.
Damn. Good fit. Glad we didn’t get our hopes up.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:10 pm
Being I’m a Cubs fan after the Twins I don’t like him going to their biggest rival. We all knew he wasn’t going to be a Twin. Same old bullshit despite a different front office
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm
Being I’m a Cubs fan after the Twins I don’t like him going to their biggest rival. We all knew he wasn’t going to be a Twin. Same old bullshit despite a different front office
The front office changed. The lies stayed the same.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:11 pm Pretty good haul for Arizona.

Nobody should complain.

The Twins shouldn't have given up that much for a year long rental.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:42 am

Nobody should complain.

I don't think they gave up too much for a superstar 1st baseman. Carson Kelly COULD be a solid starting catcher in the league, but Weaver lost his spot in the rotation in August, and the other kid is a huge unknown.

Truth is, they didn't mortgage the future for a guy that will immediately improve their team. I bet they re sign him as well.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

great move by the cards, and not give up too much either. shows waht a front office can do if they know their shit.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Bad take. The Twins are not close to the Red Sox, Yankees or Astros. Giving up what the Cards did for 1 year of Goldschmidt would be an awful move. The Twins need to draft and develop their roster and supplement their team with free agents when they get competitive. Going all out this year on free agency will likely set the franchise back.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am

Nobody should complain.

I don't think they gave up too much for a superstar 1st baseman. Carson Kelly COULD be a solid starting catcher in the league, but Weaver lost his spot in the rotation in August, and the other kid is a huge unknown.

Truth is, they didn't mortgage the future for a guy that will immediately improve their team. I bet they re sign him as well.
I think the only pitcher we had that they would want that is ready is Berrios. That alone would have kept me away.

If Goldy could be re-signed it's a good deal, the trouble is, I think he's going to see his best chance to cash in big and St. Louis won't be in a position to compete with the big spenders. We wouldn't have either.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Nobody should complain.

I think the only pitcher we had that they would want that is ready is Berrios. That alone would have kept me away.

If Goldy could be re-signed it's a good deal, the trouble is, I think he's going to see his best chance to cash in big and St. Louis won't be in a position to compete with the big spenders. We wouldn't have either.
Weaver is no where near the caliber of Berrios. Not even close. None of us have any idea what, if anything we would've offered. STL made a great move to try to win a championship. We will sit on our hands like always and pray for a miracle. Look around the interwebs. I don't see anyone calling this a bad move for STL.

The Cardinals goal is to win the WS every year. The Twins is to contend for the division. Don't you see a problem with that?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Weaver is no where near the caliber of Berrios. Not even close. None of us have any idea what, if anything we would've offered. STL made a great move to try to win a championship. We will sit on our hands like always and pray for a miracle. Look around the interwebs. I don't see anyone calling this a bad move for STL.

The Cardinals goal is to win the WS every year. The Twins is to contend for the division. Don't you see a problem with that?
The Twins don't even try to contend for the division. They just hope to make more profits.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

2 WS titles in 36 years....
Maybe they need to reevaluate how they try to reach that goal.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

But no other pitcher that the Twins have, other than Berrios, has both the pedigree that Weaver has and the major league experience. If you think that Goldy is what's separating this team from being below .500 and being a World Series contender, I think you're mistaken.

Also, The Cardinals aren't exactly going out and spending to win The World Series like their rival Cubs are. This is a good move for this season, but it will burn them when he signs with another team, especially if Weaver and/or Kelly turn into good players.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Bad take.
The Twins are not close to the Red Sox, Yankees or Astros. Giving up what the Cards did for 1 year of Goldschmidt would be an awful move. The Twins need to draft and develop their roster and supplement their team with free agents when they get competitive. Going all out this year on free agency will likely set the franchise back.
I agree pretty much verbatim with everything you just said so I think you misunderstood my take. My take was that if the Twins aren't prepared to be serious about this and offer up a comparable package to what the Cardinals did than they should just shutup. For the record, I wouldn't have wanted the Twins to give up what the Cardinals did for him. With that said, the Twins should have just shut the hell up about it or said, "yeah, we're interested in him, but only if they are giving him away" because that was obviously the extent of their interest in him.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:50 pm

4 WS appearances in the last 14 years. 2 wins.
The Replacements

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Bad take.
The Twins are not close to the Red Sox, Yankees or Astros. Giving up what the Cards did for 1 year of Goldschmidt would be an awful move. The Twins need to draft and develop their roster and supplement their team with free agents when they get competitive. Going all out this year on free agency will likely set the franchise back.
I agree pretty much verbatim with everything you just said so I think you misunderstood my take. My take was that if the Twins aren't prepared to be serious about this and offer up a comparable package to what the Cardinals did than they should just shutup. For the record, I wouldn't have wanted the Twins to give up what the Cardinals did for him. With that said, the Twins should have just shut the hell up about it or said, "yeah, we're interested in him, but only if they are giving him away" because that was obviously the extent of their interest in him.
I think many of these stories get overblown. Agents, teams and players leak information to the press to benefit their situation. My guess is Arizona wanted teams to believe everyone wanted Goldschmidt when the truth is the Twins checked to see what it would take to acquire him. The Twins will likely look for bargains and fillers until the next wave of top players arrive in Minnesota. I think that's the right move. Unfortunately most fans are only concerned about the upcoming season and want their team to go all in.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Bad take.
I think many of these stories get overblown. Agents, teams and players leak information to the press to benefit their situation. My guess is Arizona wanted teams to believe everyone wanted Goldschmidt when the truth is the Twins checked to see what it would take to acquire him. The Twins will likely look for bargains and fillers until the next wave of top players arrive in Minnesota. I think that's the right move. Unfortunately most fans are only concerned about the upcoming season and want their team to go all in.
The Twins have never signed a big FA in my lifetime. It's always "Bargins and fillers"
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Bad take. The Twins are not close to the Red Sox, Yankees or Astros. Giving up what the Cards did for 1 year of Goldschmidt would be an awful move. The Twins need to draft and develop their roster and supplement their team with free agents when they get competitive. Going all out this year on free agency will likely set the franchise back.
So essentially you are ripping the front office then, because they inquired about trading for a super star player that everyone knows will command a decent return......unless it's total bs..... :thinking:
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Appearances are good?

The Twins have as many WS titles as them in the last 36 years.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 pm

The Twins have never signed a big FA in my lifetime. It's always "Bargins and fillers"
Could you list the "big FAs" that were worth their money?
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 pm

James Shields in KC
Sabathia
David Price
Teixeira
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm

James Shields in KC
Sabathia
David Price
Teixeira
How was Shields worth the money in KC?

(Not being an azz, I really don't understand)
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Appearances are good?

:lol: :lol:

How many WS have the Twins been in in the last 15 years? Why are you even trying to argue this point? Do you really think the Twins are as successful as the Cardinals?

4 appearances in the WC in 15 years is really good. If you don't think so, I can't reason with ya.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Appearances are good?

Yes.

I'd much rather be making appearances in the WS vs. not even making the play offs or getting swept in the first round.

Cardinals also have two losing seasons in the last 20 seasons.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:28 pm

James Shields in KC
Sabathia
David Price
Teixeira

Plus KC traded for Shields. When he signed as a free agent with San Diego, he absolutely sucked. He was even worse after they moved him to The White Sox . He's the only pitcher to ever give up a home run to Bartolo Colon.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

almost had him.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:28 pm

James Shields in KC
Sabathia
David Price
Teixeira

Plus KC traded for Shields. When he signed as a free agent with San Diego, he absolutely sucked. He was even worse after they moved him to The White Sox . He's the only pitcher to ever give up a home run to Bartolo Colon.
Dang, completely forgot about that trade. 2 of his best 3 seasons in terms of ERA in his career were in KC. Not denying he's been washed for a while though.
The Replacements

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

So essentially you are ripping the front office then, because they inquired about trading for a super star player that everyone knows will command a decent return......unless it's total bs..... :thinking:
Checking in on an available player is done by every team. Someone leaking the information to benefit their position is also done by every agent and team. Are you new to the baseball winter meetings?