Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**OFFICIAL JOE MAUER RETIRING THREAD**

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Hornets

**OFFICIAL JOE MAUER RETIRING THREAD**

Post by Hornets »

Sorry Tommy Hawk....gotta have an official site for something of this magnitude!

It's OVAH and now you haters can spew your venom on someone else. Me? I'll be looking forward to Joe's HOF induction.....

Thanks for the memories Joe! Well done!

[url]http://www.startribune.com/joe-mauer-wi ... 70911/[url]
Last edited by Hornets on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hornets

Re: **OFFICIAL JOE MAUER RETIRES THREAD**

Post by Hornets »

D_H

Re: **OFFICIAL JOE MAUER RETIRING THREAD**

Post by D_H »

It's about time should have happened about 5 years ago.

Don't let the door hit ya Joe
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm It's about time should have happened about 5 years ago.

SO mean DH...SO mean. Joe was one of us, was a model citizen for his entire career, and OBTW the guy put up some MONSTER numbers.

Class act from day 1
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hornets wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm It's about time should have happened about 5 years ago.

SO mean DH...SO mean. Joe was one of us, was a model citizen for his entire career, and OBTW the guy put up some MONSTER numbers.

Class act from day 1

I'm sure he's a nice enough chap
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Favorite Moment- Him laying out and putting the diving tag on Texeira at home plate.

Angel Hernandez in the playoffs versus the Yankees calling his Double a foul ball when it clearly was fair by TWO feet.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Good all around catcher, good fielding first baseman, maybe the worst hitting first baseman ever. The one guy the Twins ever went crazy overpay on and it bit us in the ass.

Could have been a hall of famer if he just sucked it up and kept catching.
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm Favorite Moment- Him laying out and putting the diving tag on Texeira at home plate.

Angel Hernandez in the playoffs versus the Yankees calling his Double a foul ball when it clearly was fair by TWO feet.
I thought it was Phil cuzzi
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm Sorry Tommy Hawk....gotta have an official site for something of this magnitude!

It's OVAH and now you haters can spew your venom on someone else. Me? I'll be looking forward to Joe's HOF induction.....

I assume you mean the one at Target Field...
D_H

Post by D_H »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Good all around catcher, good fielding first baseman, maybe the worst hitting first baseman ever. The one guy the Twins ever went crazy overpay on and it bit us in the ass.

Yep he was his Own Worst Enemy... very lazy and not a hard worker. He will never sniff the Hall of Fame.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:38 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm Sorry Tommy Hawk....gotta have an official site for something of this magnitude!

OBVIOUSLY there, but I truly believe he has a legitimate chance at Cooperstown. THREE batting titles and an MVP, regarded as the best defensive catcher of his time, and make no doubt about it....those voting will take his great personality and demeanor into consideration. I'd say it's a 75% likelyhood he makes it!
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Great as a catcher but his production at first was well below average. I still wonder what happened to him besides the concussion stuff. He is the kind of class guy to keep it a secret to his grave.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 pm

OBVIOUSLY there, but I truly believe he has a legitimate chance at Cooperstown. THREE batting titles and an MVP, regarded as the best defensive catcher of his time, and make no doubt about it....those voting will take his great personality and demeanor into consideration. I'd say it's a 75% likelyhood he makes it!
Catchers have a tough time making it into Cooperstown.

One of his peers is better, Posey, that doesn't help.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Yadier is arguably better as well...although somebody (maybe it was you) posted their respective WAR, and Joe was up there, waay up there.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Clubhouseleader wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm Favorite Moment- Him laying out and putting the diving tag on Texeira at home plate.

I thought it was Phil cuzzi
Was it? I guess I've been giving Hernandez extra disdain this entire time. Oh well.

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Posey's 3 rings will help him.
His offensive numbers are fairly comparable. It'll be interesting to see how they compare when Posey is done.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

D_H wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Yep he was his Own Worst Enemy... very lazy and not a hard worker. He will never sniff the Hall of Fame.
Any proof that he was lazy and not a hard worker or are we just supposed to take your opinion as fact? Any quotes from coaches or teammates that he's lazy? Any reports from the news that Mauer is lazy and doesn't work hard? Tweets? Facebook posts? Instantgrams?

Links please.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hall of Fame worthy of his first half of his career. Not so much in the second half. He makes it good on him. He doesn’t, oh well.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Joe penned a letter to Twins Fans.
(I tried posting the photo but it wont)

https://securea.mlb.com/assets/i ... cut.jpg

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

DC4MVP wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Any proof that he was lazy and not a hard worker or are we just supposed to take your opinion as fact? Any quotes from coaches or teammates that he's lazy? Any reports from the news that Mauer is lazy and doesn't work hard? Tweets? Facebook posts? Instantgrams?

Links please.
Joe was/is all class and the haters refuse to believe that the concussion issue was his major undoing. You don't win 3 batting titles, win an MVP award, go to 6 all-star games and win some golden glove awards and then all of a sudden decide to stop working at it and get lazy....nope, doesn't happen that way. Mr Mauer will be missed....
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 pm Joe penned a letter to Twins Fans.
(I tried posting the photo but it wont)

https://securea.mlb.com/assets/i ... cut.jpg
Class act for sure
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

20 years from now, he'll be remembered for his years at catcher...at least locally. As for the hall, he might be going the Bert Blyleven way. Be a borderline guy for so long, that eventually they just put him in.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

DC4MVP wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Links please.
He’s to busy watching CNN :lol:
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 pm 20 years from now, he'll be remembered for his years at catcher...at least locally. As for the hall, he might be going the Bert Blyleven way. Be a borderline guy for so long, that eventually they just put him in.
I think he might be a guy that gets put in during a slow year where there's no big, top-tier guys going in on his 6th or 7th year of eligibility.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

ESPN had a deal where they tried to predict HOF classes down the line. They have Mauer going in in 2042.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am ESPN had a deal where they tried to predict HOF classes down the line. They have Mauer going in in 2042.
Well done, Joe!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:13 am
feekdogg wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am ESPN had a deal where they tried to predict HOF classes down the line. They have Mauer going in in 2042.
Well done, Joe!
They also think Scott Rolen is HOF :shrug:
D_H

Post by D_H »

He'll never sniff the Hall of Fame people that don't work hard their craft do not belong in the Hall of Fame
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

What the hell are you going to complain about now DH?

Nobody to call a "Punch and Judy" and a "Slap and Giggle" hitter anymore.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

D_H wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 am He'll never sniff the Hall of Fame people that don't work hard their craft do not belong in the Hall of Fame
See beyond your hate of players that don't hit Homeruns, see beyond the contract. He was the games best catcher for numerous years. Won an MVP, was the best hitter at his position for 5 years, was a 3 time batting champion...He has credentials.

We get it, he got a huge contract, and sucked afterward...doesnt take away what he was before.

The HoF voters will be aware of both sides of Joe, one that puts him in easily, and one that keeps him out, that being pre contract, and post contract. You seem to only remember one side.