Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins New Manager: Rocco Baldelli

A place to discuss the MN Twins
mglviks

Re: Twins New Manager: Rocco Baldelli

Post by mglviks »

Skip'py

We are always just a few years away!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:48 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Yep. That's kind of why I'm on board with the analytics approach. Teams like the Twins need to find any advantage they can, if they find something in the numbers that works to their advantage, great! Unfortunately, even teams with the analytical approach need some help getting and keeping players that are good at what they do.
Legit question....not running down analytics and I think they're useful but not the end-all/be-all of sports

But has an analytics heavy team (Oakland for example) ever won a World Series?

It seems that analytics only gets you so far in a season before you need the high dollar players to take you the rest of the way.

In other words, we're going to need A LOT more than just shifting well, bunting in the right spots, going for high OBP guys, and having good "openers," right?
Astros, Indians.

The big spenders are also getting heavy into analytics now. Boston arguably uses them more than any other team. Yankees are on board with them now. Dodgers are on board. Cubs have been there for awhile.
Im not a big believer in analytics for two reasons.

1. If all the big boys are using them too, then this nullifies the advantage they provide, right?

2. Dont the analytics change if everyone is using them. Like, the A's were the only ones to use them versus traditional baseball tactics. Now, teams are using analytics against teams using analytics. Doesn't this change YOUR teams analytics if the other teams tendencies are different? Like what are you basing your analytics scouting on, if the team you are playing are changing their analytics per different team they play?

I get they work sometimes, in some situations. I just don't think they will give the Twins an advantage over the Yankees if they are using them too. Seems pointless.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Any guy named Rocco has a mob influence. :lol:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

For Froobs who have been around higher level baseball, what is the manager’s hardest job?

Seems like as opposed to other sports where the play on the field is more fluid, there are more and harder decisions to be made on the fly than in baseball.

In baseball, situations pretty much dictate your next move, and you normally have time to think about each decision between each at-bag or between each pitch.

So, what do the best managers in the MLB have over the rest of the guys?

Am I wrong that it’s harder for a manager to screw up having a ton of talent than it is in the NFL or NBA?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Managers get too much credit when their team wins, too much blame when they lose. It's that simple.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 pm Managers get too much credit when their team wins, too much blame when they lose. It's that simple.
Thank you Captain Obvious. :roll:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

How about a manger who thinks outside the box? Do the Twins have that guy? Time will tell.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 am
Hornets wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 pm Managers get too much credit when their team wins, too much blame when they lose. It's that simple.
Thank you Captain Obvious. :roll:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

How do you hire a hitman? The Pohlads are going gangsta?
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I see his name fits.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Qman65 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 am Any guy named Rocco has a mob influence. :lol:

The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Legit question....not running down analytics and I think they're useful but not the end-all/be-all of sports

It seems that analytics only gets you so far in a season before you need the high dollar players to take you the rest of the way.

In other words, we're going to need A LOT more than just shifting well, bunting in the right spots, going for high OBP guys, and having good "openers," right?
Astros, Indians.

The big spenders are also getting heavy into analytics now. Boston arguably uses them more than any other team. Yankees are on board with them now. Dodgers are on board. Cubs have been there for awhile.

1. If all the big boys are using them too, then this nullifies the advantage they provide, right?

2. Dont the analytics change if everyone is using them. Like, the A's were the only ones to use them versus traditional baseball tactics. Now, teams are using analytics against teams using analytics. Doesn't this change YOUR teams analytics if the other teams tendencies are different? Like what are you basing your analytics scouting on, if the team you are playing are changing their analytics per different team they play?

I get they work sometimes, in some situations. I just don't think they will give the Twins an advantage over the Yankees if they are using them too. Seems pointless.
1. Wrong - Most teams use them to varying degrees but some teams use them more effectively. The Astros, Cubs and Red Sox would be on the higher end of the spectrum of teams.

2. The Brewers used analytics but differently and they got to the final four.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Any guy named Rocco has to have Mob affiliation. :lol:
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

Astros, Indians.

Do you not believe in analytics in sports in general or just baseball? Basketball is a great example of how its changed the game on both the offensive and defensive side. Now I'm not sure how many years of analytics MLB has on file outside of just the regular game stats but you do need a good sample size of data before accurately predicting outcomes. I think there needs to be a good balance of having the right players and the right analytics in todays game.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 pm
Qman65 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 am Any guy named Rocco has a mob influence. :lol:

:clap:
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Seenin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Astros, Indians.

Do you not believe in analytics in sports in general or just baseball? Basketball is a great example of how its changed the game on both the offensive and defensive side. Now I'm not sure how many years of analytics MLB has on file outside of just the regular game stats but you do need a good sample size of data before accurately predicting outcomes. I think there needs to be a good balance of having the right players and the right analytics in todays game.
No, I believe in them. I think they sometimes are skewed based on crunch-time situations. But really, my hangup on them is that: if the Yankees are changing their strategy in 2018 vs the Twins based on their analytic data of the Twins from 1961-2017, wouldn't most of it be null, if the Twins adopt analytics in 2018? Wouldn't you then, if you are the Yankees, need to wait a couple more seasons, at least, of examining the Twins' tendencies once they too have adopted analytics, to get an advantage on them, especially if you are the Yankees, and you can afford the best players, that play the best in certain situations based on your analytics?

Like, isn't it game over for 20 teams, once the top 10 payroll teams adopt analytics? Billy Beane had a huge disadvantage with the A's because of their low payroll, and used analytics to even the playing field. But if Brian Cashman now uses the same style of analytic strategy as Billy Beane, the A's are right back where they were before, as shown in the Wild Card gamethis season.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I'm surprised they hired a German. Maybe they're hoping he can get through to Kepler.
Ketchup can be nuancy