Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins New Manager: Rocco Baldelli

A place to discuss the MN Twins
UnFadeable21

Twins New Manager: Rocco Baldelli

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sources tell @Fox9Sports that the #mntwins⁠ ⁠ will hire Rocco Baldelli as their new manager tomorrow afternoon at a press conference at Target Field.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Qman65

Re: Twins New Manager: Rocco Baldelli

Post by Qman65 »

Link?
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I can't complain. At least they finally went outside of this crap ass organization for once in my life.

Hopefully Rocco wipes his ass with the "Twins Way"

Would of liked to see a minority hire here as I think it's long overdue but I'm ok with this.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The guy comes from Rhode Island with the most Italian name ever. If he doesn't have mob ties, I'll eat my hat.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

One of my childhood heroes.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Twins skipper is younger then me. My knees just buckled. I'm getting old. :scooter:

Here's to a new era :beer:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:04 am Sources tell @Fox9Sports that the #mntwins⁠ ⁠ will hire Rocco Baldelli as their new manager tomorrow afternoon at a press conference at Target Field.

doogie nailed it.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

According to LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins will announce Rocco Baldelli as their new manager.

Twins bench coach Derek Shelton and Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde were believed to be the other two finalists to replace Paul Molitor, who was let go after the conclusion of the 2018 regular season. Twins hitting coach James Rowson also interviewed for the job at some point. Baldelli, 37, served as the Rays' field coordinator and first base coach this past season, after spending four years in the team's front office. He spent parts of seven seasons as an active player in the major leagues before getting diagnosed with a rare mitochondrial deficiency. Baldelli was also a candidate for the managerial openings in Toronto and Texas.
Related: Twins
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Rocco Baldelli- We GOT HIM!
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 am The Twins skipper is younger then me. My knees just buckled. I'm getting old. :scooter:

Here's to a new era :beer:
Jesus he was drafted in 2000. Guy could still be playing today.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Seven things to know about new Twins manager Rocco Baldelli

What do you need to know about new Twins manager Rocco Baldelli? Here are the quick highlights.

Baldelli was born Sept. 25, 1981 in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. At age 37, he is one year older than Tom Kelly was when he replaced Ray Miller as manager in 1986.

Picked sixth overall in the 2000 draft, Baldelli turned down a scholarship to Wake Forest to sign with the Rays.

His MLB debut came in 2003 when Baldelli started in center field for a Tampa Bay team that also had rookie Carl Crawford in left field. Baldelli batted .289 with 11 home runs and 27 stolen bases.

Baldelli was sidelined for a season-and-a-half when he injured his ACL in 2005 while playing baseball with his brother and then hurt his elbow while in rehab. He didn't return until midway through the 2006 season. Baldelli batted .302 with 16 homers in 92 games.

A muscular disorder limited Baldelli to 135 games over the next four seasons with Tampa Bay, Boston and Toronto. He was eventually diagnosed with Mitochondrial Channelopathy, which causes severe muscle fatigue.

After retiring as a player in 2010, Baldelli held a variety of positions in the Rays' organization. He was most recently the major league field coordinator, which entailed analyzing the tendencies of opposing teams.

In 2004, Baldelli was inducted into the Rhode island Italian-American Hall of Fame.

Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Presser now.. already sucking up.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Is he one of those managers that will shift on every at-bat and do the "opener" bullshit?
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 pm Is he one of those managers that will shift on every at-bat and do the "opener" bullshit?
Yep.. 100%

#BaltimoreStrong
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:25 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 pm Is he one of those managers that will shift on every at-bat and do the "opener" bullshit?
Yep.. 100%
Go Brewers....
A Kickass Offense

Post by A Kickass Offense »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Yep.. 100%
Go Brewers....
LULZ! MIght want to pick a team other than the Brewers then. They're as guilty of that shit as anybody. They pulled a starting pitcher after throwing to 1 hitter in the NLCS.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Yep.. 100%
Go Brewers....
LULZ! MIght want to pick a team other than the Brewers then. They're as guilty of that shit as anybody. They pulled a starting pitcher after throwing to 1 hitter in the NLCS.
Go.....SAINTS!
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Cool name anyways :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

It will be the same shit though. Doesn't matter who the GM or Manager is here. The Pohlads need to give them the resources.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Youngest manager in MLB. I like it.

His response to Marney's questions seems like he wants a lot of input from players. Hopefully he can find a balance as to not be too much of a softee and get run over by the players, but not to be a hard ass.

Molitor, Mauer and Dozier gone. This is a new era in Twins baseball.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Falvine found a guy who will allow them to manage from the front office. Congratulations to all.
Ketchup can be nuancy
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 pm It will be the same shit though. Doesn't matter who the GM or Manager is here. The Pohlads need to give them the resources.
Yep. That's kind of why I'm on board with the analytics approach. Teams like the Twins need to find any advantage they can, if they find something in the numbers that works to their advantage, great! Unfortunately, even teams with the analytical approach need some help getting and keeping players that are good at what they do.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:08 pm
Looks like Corey Koskie, wouldn't you type?

***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 pm It will be the same shit though. Doesn't matter who the GM or Manager is here. The Pohlads need to give them the resources.
Yep. That's kind of why I'm on board with the analytics approach. Teams like the Twins need to find any advantage they can, if they find something in the numbers that works to their advantage, great! Unfortunately, even teams with the analytical approach need some help getting and keeping players that are good at what they do.
Legit question....not running down analytics and I think they're useful but not the end-all/be-all of sports

But has an analytics heavy team (Oakland for example) ever won a World Series?

It seems that analytics only gets you so far in a season before you need the high dollar players to take you the rest of the way.

In other words, we're going to need A LOT more than just shifting well, bunting in the right spots, going for high OBP guys, and having good "openers," right?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Part of me wonders what separated him from the others was the fact that he was a highly touted prospect that failed very early in his career before turning himself into a pretty good player. In other words, he knows exactly what Buxton and Sano are going through professionally speaking and hopefully knows what buttons to push and not to push to fix them. On a related note, I'm glad they went outside the organization with this one. The hiring from within nonsense had gone on long enough and wasn't working.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:48 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 pm
Legit question....not running down analytics and I think they're useful but not the end-all/be-all of sports

But has an analytics heavy team (Oakland for example) ever won a World Series?

It seems that analytics only gets you so far in a season before you need the high dollar players to take you the rest of the way.

In other words, we're going to need A LOT more than just shifting well, bunting in the right spots, going for high OBP guys, and having good "openers," right?
Astros, Indians.

The big spenders are also getting heavy into analytics now. Boston arguably uses them more than any other team. Yankees are on board with them now. Dodgers are on board. Cubs have been there for awhile.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Know nothing about him. Hope he works out.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 pm Know nothing about him. Hope he works out.
He was actually a pretty good player before some sort of obscure muscular disease derailed his career before he was even 30.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:12 pm Falvine found a guy who will allow them to manage from the front office. Congratulations to all.
He said something about this during his press conference that didn't sit well with me. Something like, he's open to input or something.. presumably from the Front Office.

#BaltimoreStrong