Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Escobar not comin back....

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Hornets

Escobar not comin back....

Post by Hornets »

Darn it.....was hoping to see him back in a Twins uni next season. One of the good guys.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news ... rsdhyiknju
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Escobar not comin back....

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:12 pm Darn it.....was hoping to see him back in a Twins uni next season. One of the good guys.....

Hate that trade now... 100%
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:54 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:12 pm Darn it.....was hoping to see him back in a Twins uni next season. One of the good guys.....

You would rather have nothing than a few prospects?
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

So they must see what the Twins brass sees, productivity at a low cost. I would've wanted Mighty Mouse back too.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Nothing? They would have extended him just like the Diamondbacks did. I thought them trading a guy like Escobar meant they had a fairly good idea they could get him back.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Swing and a miss. Series of questionable moves...
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am

Nothing? They would have extended him just like the Diamondbacks did. I thought them trading a guy like Escobar meant they had a fairly good idea they could get him back.
If Escobar wanted to return to the Twins he wouldn't have signed with the DBacks.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:23 pm

If Escobar wanted to return to the Twins he wouldn't have signed with the DBacks.
Right... I wish the Twins would have just kept him and retained him under the same contract....
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Arizona's organization is better than Minnesota's. The Twins have been on a dreeeeeadful stretch. Mauer after all this time is still the show pony. That says everything.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:40 am
Right... I wish the Twins would have just kept him and retained him under the same contract....
He was a free agent. He could have signed with anyone.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

The point is that of he wanted to do that, the trade didn't stop him. He clearly didn't care about resigning here.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

The point is that of he wanted to do that, the trade didn't stop him. He clearly didn't care about resigning here.
Twins could have thrown a qualifying offer for him if he didn't sign the same exact extension. What did we get for him?
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am
beetlebum71 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Twins could have thrown a qualifying offer for him if he didn't sign the same exact extension. What did we get for him?
I kind of liked the trade, but you never really know about these for 2 or 3 years, minimum. Duran, the pitcher they got, is 20, has an upper-90's fastball, and pitched really well for Cedar Rapids after the trade. They got two outfielders, Trinidad and Maciel. Trinidad is already 22, played well at Ft. Myers, but is probably an extra OF guy in the majors. Little guy, good OBP skills, not much power, not a base stealer, solid outfielder. Maciel is a total dart throw. This was his first year above rookie ball, and he didn't hit much. He's a pretty good athlete, but he's small, too, and has just 6 HR's in 800+ professional at bats. He's still really young for his level, and will probably repeat at Cedar Rapids to start next year, but if he can add some bulk, his other tools are intriguing. Probably a long shot to ever be a contributor at the ML level, but you never know.

The gem of the deal is Duran. He's got a chance to be really good. Like other pitchers his age, he's got to develop his secondary pitches and work on commanding that big fastball. I wouldn't be surprised to see him here sometime in 2020 if he stays healthy.

All that said, the QO would have been double what Escobar is making this year. I'm not sure that was really an option. Maybe you do it if the alternative is losing him, and you just can't imagine playing without him, but I don't think they would have done it. Could be wrong.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Appreciate the info on the prospects. I'm at the point where I don't care enough to try and find out info from a twins beat writer who tries to overly sell some guy we'll never see. Obviously here is just interaction with other fans.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

damn

I actually thought there was a good chance the twins were playing this just right :lol: