Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Keep in mind, the Twins are still CHEAP!!!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
jakazz30

Re: Keep in mind, the Twins are still CHEAP!!!

Post by jakazz30 »

The whole basis of this thread is inaccurate anyways..
When a large portion of your team is on their initial contracts, payroll is going to be lower..

If Sano, Buxton, Kepler, etc....had lit up the league...the Twins payroll would've been low.

They signed FAs..the core was just still on lower contracts.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:22 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am
The Replacements wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am

If that was true, someone would have either traded for him or picked him up right away. He signed a non-guaranteed contract. His success was a surprise to everyone.
Without trying making this yet another Ortiz debate, that man always had irreplacable raw power, was one of our top prospects and was trending upwards. There was absolutely no reason to get rid of him. They were not going to have to break the bank for him, and they had nobody to replace what he brought.

Regardless of whether you think that was a mistake or not, the move itself almost certainly cost us a title and had little if anything to do with money.
You lost a lot of credibility with that statement. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Why and how? I suppose you never know what would have happened in a 5 or 7 game playoff series, but if you add Ortiz to our squads from 03-06 even at 2/3rds of what he did in Boston than we are a 100 game winner every year and have as good a chance as anybody to win the WS. 06 was the only year that we had that kind of team, and jesus balls imagine if our DH was ortiz that year...

But the point of the thread is that the Twins are cheap. My point is that we could have won a title while being as cheap as we have been or close to it, simply by making better personel decisions.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ͺZ
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 am
whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am

Without trying making this yet another Ortiz debate, that man always had irreplacable raw power, was one of our top prospects and was trending upwards. There was absolutely no reason to get rid of him. They were not going to have to break the bank for him, and they had nobody to replace what he brought.

Regardless of whether you think that was a mistake or not, the move itself almost certainly cost us a title and had little if anything to do with money.
You lost a lot of credibility with that statement. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Why and how? I suppose you never know what would have happened in a 5 or 7 game playoff series, but if you add Ortiz to our squads from 03-06 even at 2/3rds of what he did in Boston than we are a 100 game winner every year and have as good a chance as anybody to win the WS. 06 was the only year that we had that kind of team, and jesus balls imagine if our DH was ortiz that year...

But the point of the thread is that the Twins are cheap. My point is that we could have won a title while being as cheap as we have been or close to it, simply by making better personel decisions.
The Twins may be cheap but I think this decision was about Ortiz and his abilities as a player. He wasn't asking for a lot of $$$ so they could have signed him easily. I'm not sure what the relationship was with Gardy but my guess is that played a role in him being gone. Finally, I just don't see Ortiz having the same career in Minnesota that he had in Boston.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:53 am
whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 am

The Twins may be cheap but I think this decision was about Ortiz and his abilities as a player. He wasn't asking for a lot of $$$ so they could have signed him easily. I'm not sure what the relationship was with Gardy but my guess is that played a role in him being gone. Finally, I just don't see Ortiz having the same career in Minnesota that he had in Boston.
Yes. It was his abilities as a player, and they we're dead wrong about it. Like I said even 2/3rds of what he does in Boston would've been incredible for us. Look at the DH's we employed. Especially in 06.

Moreso than their cheapness, their dismissal of a player like their Ortiz and their barring the doors and not letting Punto leave and paying him 10x more than he's worth cost us a chance at a title.

Yup. It was Gardy's relationship and how he viewed his players. He couldn't stand David Ortiz but absolutely couldnt get enough of Nick Punto. That has nothing to do with money.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ͺZ
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

How much of those decisions were Gardy's?
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 pm How much of those decisions were Gardy's?
I'm not sure, but I consider Gardy and Ryan two peas in the same pod.

Absolutely no doubt that Gardy had a lot to do with getting rid of Ortiz and ridiculously overpaying Nick f'n Punto. It's just how the Twins operated then. It was wrong.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ͺZ
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jakazz30 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm They're cheap but they could and should have a title and multiple WS appearances if they made the right moves with the money they did spend.

Should've kept Ortiz, obviously.

Should've signed Frank Thomas in 06.

Should've got Lee in 10.

Its not necessarily that they don't spend the money, but they haven't pulled the trigger when they needed to. They were too scared. I think the current regime would be mode aggressive if the chance presented itself. We'll see. I could be wrong.
I'm so tired of that "Ortiz" crap...

How long ago was that?

How many other players have the Twins let go where we have heard "he's going to be like Ortiz" and it never happened?
How exactly does Ortiz meet Manny's dealer if he's still on the Twins?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Thrillkill wrote: ↑Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm
jakazz30 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: ↑Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm They're cheap but they could and should have a title and multiple WS appearances if they made the right moves with the money they did spend.

Should've kept Ortiz, obviously.

Should've signed Frank Thomas in 06.

Should've got Lee in 10.

Its not necessarily that they don't spend the money, but they haven't pulled the trigger when they needed to. They were too scared. I think the current regime would be mode aggressive if the chance presented itself. We'll see. I could be wrong.
I'm so tired of that "Ortiz" crap...

How long ago was that?

How many other players have the Twins let go where we have heard "he's going to be like Ortiz" and it never happened?
How exactly does Ortiz meet Manny's dealer if he's still on the Twins?
Fair point..