Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Molitor fired

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Re: Molitor fired

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 am They need a manager who will develop the young talent. No reason why this team hasn't performed better. The success of Falvey/Levine is not signing high priced free agents. It's modernizing the draft/minor league system to draft and develop better players. I liked both their drafts so far and I'm curious how quickly we can see that impact the major league club.
this is the only hope. and i have no problem with them wanting to put their own people in everywhere in the organization they want to. they want their own manager-fine. but now there are no excuses going forward. i'm willing to give them a three year leash from this point forward-but they better be a top echelon squad in that third year or this is a giant fail.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Young guys should be better, and playing more cohesively by now, and they aren't. Thats on the coaching staff and manager.

There's been numerous examples of guys leaving the Twins and finding success elsewhere, Hicks, Hendrix, Butera, ect, ect.

If the Twins ever become serious about winning, they need to find the cause of why their own guys and vets they bring in regress.

Paul Molitor, despite all his accolades, is not up to the task.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm Young guys should be better, and playing more cohesively by now, and they aren't. Thats on the coaching staff and manager.

There's been numerous examples of guys leaving the Twins and finding success elsewhere, Hicks, Hendrix, Butera, ect, ect.

If the Twins ever become serious about winning, they need to find the cause of why their own guys and vets they bring in regress.

we'll see how the new manager does in the years ahead. but if they are going to be fair to middling competitive three out of four years-and that's the ceiling going forward? i'd just as soon see a HOFer from st paul at the helm. paul molitor is a local baseball icon and if you don't understand that you don't understand anything about baseball in the midwest. period.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:19 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm Young guys should be better, and playing more cohesively by now, and they aren't. Thats on the coaching staff and manager.

we'll see how the new manager does in the years ahead. but if they are going to be fair to middling competitive three out of four years-and that's the ceiling going forward? i'd just as soon see a HOFer from st paul at the helm. paul molitor is a local baseball icon and if you don't understand that you don't understand anything about baseball in the midwest. period.
You're right Weimy. Molitor deserves a pass because he's from Minnesota. After all, you're the ones buying tickets to the games, even if it's only to take pictures of yourself to bolster your social media brand.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am
full force five wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am Falvey & Levine should be put on notice. If they don't have an awesome off-season attendance number will slip even more. Joe will retire. They need to sign several studs (not hopeful). It's there team and so far it's been a shit show.
You want them to sign several studs? This is the Twins not the Yankees
They have a lot of payroll open next year, whoa!
Obviously I hope they do.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Bring back AJ!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:30 pm Bring back AJ!
no AJ on the strib list of 13 possibilities.

With several other managerial openings around major league baseball, here is a list of names (in alphabetical order) being tossed about:

Sandy Alomar Jr., 52: Cleveland’s first-base coach has long been mentioned for managerial openings. Could connect well with Latin American players.

Brad Ausmus, 49: An executive with the Angels, Ausmus was manager of Detroit from 2014-17, winning the AL Central in his first season. Could replace Mike Scioscia as Angels manager.

Jeff Banister, 54: Recently fired by the Rangers, he was hired in Texas while Levine was with the organization.

Mark DeRosa, 43: The former player is a hit analyst on the MLB network. Also in the rumor mill as a possible successor when Joe Maddon leaves the Cubs.

Joe Espada, 43: Bench coach for the world champion Astros under A.J. Hinch. Twins fans might remember him as Josue Espada, taken by Minnesota in the 1998 Rule 5 draft; he didn’t make the team.

Travis Fryman, 49: Currently a minor league hitting instructor for Cleveland who has managerial aspirations. Consummate professional as a player.

Brandon Hyde, 45: Madden’s bench coach with the Cubs; has been a bench coach for four managers in the big leagues.

John McDonald, 44: A 16-year major leaguer, he is infield coordinator for the Indians. He has no managing experience, but is said to be a candidate for the Toronto job.

Brad Mills, 61: Cleveland bench coach was Houston’s manager for three seasons (2010-12) in the Astros’ early rebuild and had a 171-274 record. Age might count against him.

Jayce Tingler, 37: Mentioned by MLB insiders, the Texas assistant general manager came up through its system while Levine was with the Rangers.

David Ross, 41: ESPN analyst was a highly respected catcher for eight teams, retiring after winning a World Series with the Cubs. Could be first big-league manager who was on “Dancing with the Stars.”

Derek Shelton, 48: The Twins bench coach has also been a major league coach with Tampa Bay and Cleveland.

Joel Skinner, 57: Falvey and Levine hired the former big league manager to run the team at Class AAA Rochester this season.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Twins released this statement Tuesday when they announced the firing of Paul Molitor, who had been the team's manager since 2014:

“I was informed today that the Twins will seek a new manager for the 2019 season and I fully respect that decision. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity they gave me to serve in the role as manager for these past four years. I’m going to consider their genuine offer to serve in a different capacity to positively impact the Twins from a different role. Special thanks to my coaches and players I have had a chance to manage and I certainly appreciate the tremendous support I received from all of Twins Territory.”

kick back and collect the paychecks for at least one year would be my advice for molitor. time to RELAX on the twins dole!
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am Wow, I actually didn't see that coming.

Then you're blind, I saw it after last season. If he didn't improve off of last year why would they keep him long term? I'll hang up and listen for the Joe Mauer reason.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I really don't care who the next manager is -- need to see Falvey/Levine put together a formidable offseason and start to paint a future here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am I really don't care who the next manager is -- need to see Falvey/Levine put together a formidable offseason and start to paint a future here.
Idk man: Garver, Morrison/Mauer, Dozier, Polanco, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Kepler sounded pretty formidable on paper. I think there was a glitch it the managing/coaching side of things.

The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 am I really don't care who the next manager is -- need to see Falvey/Levine put together a formidable offseason and start to paint a future here.
Idk man: Garver, Morrison/Mauer, Dozier, Polanco, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Kepler sounded pretty formidable on paper. I think there was a glitch it the managing/coaching side of things.
If you projected the team's offense from 2017 with improved pitching, the team should have improved. Too many players got hurt or under performed this past year. Is that on the players, manager or just bad luck? Probably a little of all 3. Let's see how they respond. I don't expect any big FA signings so I'm looking for some creative changes.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

When do we start hearing some potential names for hiring?

They waiting for after the playoffs to swipe some young bench coach or something?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Why not hire Dougie Baseball?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm Why not hire Dougie Baseball?
No. Please no.

Go outside this organization. I'm sick of playing musical chairs.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

A new coach is all it will take to being this championship-caliber squad to the promised land.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Week old article from 1500...Some names I'm leaving out, because I think theyre less likely to be on Falvines radar than the other guys.
John McDonald, Cleveland Indians’ defensive coordinator: Yes, you read that title correctly and, no, we aren’t talking about the Cleveland Browns. The 44-year-old was named the organization’s defensive coordinator last offseason after spending two years as the infield coordinator. McDonald, who spent 16 years in the big leagues as an infielder, began working with catchers and infielders this year, in addition to his work with the infielders. His job was to travel to all of the Indians’ affiliates and work with players on the fundamentals of playing defense.
Article goes on to post a nugget about how during his playing career, it was his knee that gave Morneau the concussion.
Jayce Tingler, Texas Rangers’ assistant general manager: The 37-year-old joined the Rangers organization as a minor league player in 2005 and eventually made the transition to managing and coaching in the minors. Levine knows him from his time in the Rangers front office. In fact, Levine’s departure to Minnesota opened the door for Tingler to move from ex-manager Jeff Banister’s coaching staff to a front office role. Here’s a story from November 2016 that ties Levine and Tingler together. Tingler was the Rangers’ outfield and baserunning coach when he was in uniform. (Morosi)
Brandon Hyde, Chicago Cubs’ bench coach: The 44-year-old managed in the Marlins organization from 2005 to 2009 before joining Miami’s big-league coaching staff in 2010. He even managed one game for the Marlins on June 19, 2011 after Edwin Rodriguez resigned. The Marlins lost that game, 2-1, to Tampa Bay. Hyde became the Cubs’ bench coach in 2013 under then-new manager Rick Renteria and was moved to first base coach when Joe Maddon took over. The Mets attempted to hire Hyde last offseason as their bench coach, but he stayed with the Cubs after being promoted to the same job in Chicago. (Morosi)
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Hornets wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm Why not hire Dougie Baseball?
That's my guy. Allegedly there was a falling out between him and falvine.

I loved him as a player and it seemed like he was doing well coaching in our minor league system.

He was a candidate after gardy was fired.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Herky

Post by Herky »

John Farrell
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Give me Ross!
D_H

Post by D_H »

What's Tom Kelly up to these days
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

D_H wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm What's Tom Kelly up to these days
Probably telling some monsterous young prospect to go the other way and stop smiling.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

My favorite person they interviewed..:
James Rowson.

Really?
He should get a promotion to manager from hitting coach?
How have the prospects/ future players in this organization done under his guidance?

If you fired Molitor, he should've been in the sitting room waiting to meet the boss and get fired also.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:54 pm My favorite person they interviewed..:
James Rowson.

Really?
How have the prospects/ future players in this organization done under his guidance?

If you fired Molitor, he should've been in the sitting room waiting to meet the boss and get fired also.
YIKES! The Twins hitting coach should be a prison councilor for prisoners who are there for hitting someone. That would put an end to that.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm
James Rowson.

Really?

YIKES! The Twins hitting coach should be a prison councilor for prisoners who are there for hitting someone. That would put an end to that.
It's ridiculous that he still has a job, and gets an interview for manager?

Look at Sano, Buxton, Kepler, etc...
They have regressed under him.

Polanco didn't...why? Probably because he wasn't around Rowson for 80 games.

Rosario?
Look at his character on many things..(the odd risky moves he makes all of the time) I doubt he cares what Rowson says.

But yet they interview one of "their" guys...

I'm not saying the TR era was good.....but I see just a different one that the Twins are entering.

Mientkiewicz won't be the next manager....he'll probably be the guy that replaces Gardy in Detroit.
But when they fired him b4 this season it kinda said they dont care as much about success as they do about this being about them...and what they think is the way to go.

My opinion...?
Basically every FA they signed failed.

I hope Jim has them on a "prove it to me" leash.

And for those of you that think Jim is just about the money.......if these guys are just people with really nice pocket protectors pretending they know baseball....and the team loses....Wouldnt he dump them? It would cost him money.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jakazz30 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm
James Rowson.

Really?

Rosario?
Look at his character on many things..(the odd risky moves he makes all of the time) I doubt he cares what Rowson says.

I'm not saying the TR era was good.....but I see just a different one that the Twins are entering.

Mientkiewicz won't be the next manager....he'll probably be the guy that replaces Gardy in Detroit.
But when they fired him b4 this season it kinda said they dont care as much about success as they do about this being about them...and what they think is the way to go.

My opinion...?

And for those of you that think Jim is just about the money.......if these guys are just people with really nice pocket protectors pretending they know baseball....and the team loses....Wouldnt he dump them? It would cost him money.
i think these guys have devalued the manager position and think that it can be done by just about anybody. they just wanted their own "anybody" in the job and canned molitor.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am

Rosario?

My opinion...?

i think these guys have devalued the manager position and think that it can be done by just about anybody. they just wanted their own "anybody" in the job and canned molitor.
You might be correct...
Molitor was "dead man walking" all season because of what Jim said in the last off-season. (That he was returning....period)

Remember this is a pair that used one of the limited spots on the bench during games for a stats analyst...
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

James Rowson.

Really?

Rosario?

My opinion...?

Twins revenue has been going up consistently. So it looks like it doesn't really matter who is in charge, revenue will continue to go up.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/196 ... ince-2006/
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am

Rosario?

My opinion...?

Twins revenue has been going up consistently. So it looks like it doesn't really matter who is in charge, revenue will continue to go up.

Revenue isn't profit.

Imagine gross/ net instead of revenue.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am

Rosario?

My opinion...?

Revenue isn't profit.

Imagine gross/ net instead of revenue.
I know that. Just what I could find. Still, if revenue goes up and the spending doesn't...
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”