Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Molitor fired

A place to discuss the MN Twins
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Molitor fired

Post by RubeTube »

This team will continue to suck with the Pohlads running it. Doesn't matter who the manager or GM is.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:35 pm Get ready for Mauer to be coach!
Joe?
Jake?

Ken?
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Mizuno Man wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:56 am Fucking bullshit. Well, Molly will get picked up by a club that isn't owned by Ebenezer and run by two fucktards
I'd be shocked if he's ever a manager again. If he wasn't a former Twin, he wouldn't have been hired here.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

For him to have this team around .500 with all that's gone on around the team...

Santana only paying 3 games
Starting SS missing half the season
Buxton and Sano not playing much
Sellers at the deadline
Failed off-season signings

Is kind of impressive.

I won't miss the overagressiveness on the base paths though, which seemed to be the staple of his teams here.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Molitor was never their guy. He would have been fired last year but they had a miracle season and made the playoffs. Not many people know baseball on this chat.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Nancy boy Thad just said the front office needs to look in the mirror.
"Me and my BFF don't know what we're doing, but like Cris Carter said, we needed a fall guy."
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

This is why it's dumb to have ownership mandate that a person can't be fired when you bring in new management.

It just delays the progress of the organization.

In this case however, it looks like crap for Falvey and Levine to fire him when it appears most of the issues were related to them.
A Kickass Offense

Post by A Kickass Offense »

Just more ammo for JPM to use when he goes Benedict Arnold on the Twins and becomes a fan of the Yanks, Sox, Cubs or Dodgers.
Last edited by A Kickass Offense on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

This should surprise no one. The two knuckleheads have been chomping at the bit to fire him. I will say this team massively underachieved not only by Twins fans standards, but also by national analysts standards. The bullpen was a joke. I never understood his lineups, and he seemed to lose his young talents interest. Seemed like a decent guy, but I'm fine with a change as long as they bring in the right guy.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm Molitor was never their guy. He would have been fired last year but they had a miracle season and made the playoffs. Not many people know baseball on this chat.
This is correct. They would of fired him at the end of last year even with the MOY if they could of justified it.

People say my last statement in here is preposterous. It's not. It doesn't matter if you were a Molitor fan or not. This regime has wanted him gone long before this.

I said it after they gave him a extension last year... He was not their guy and wasn't going to be. Time was wasted on a manager they had no intentions of keeping.
Last edited by RubeTube on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 pm This should surprise no one. The two knuckleheads have been chomping at the bit to fire him. I will say this team massively underachieved not only by Twins fans standards, but also by national analysts standards. The bullpen was a joke. I never understood his lineups, and he seemed to lose his young talents interest. Seemed like a decent guy, but I'm fine with a change as long as they bring in the right guy.
as i said earlier i think that this is a blessing in disguise for molitor with the state of the franchise right now. it's in rebuild mode and i doubt that there's any real improvement in the next two years of his contract. he should kick back and draw that paycheck. his reputation as a HOFer isn't sullied in the least by his four years managing this club.

and outside of a truly dreadful second season-i think he got the most out of his talent in the other three years. sellers at the deadline last year and yet they play their best ball of the season and make the wildcard game. up three runs on the yankees early before santana folds like a cheap suit. in fact the only thing in hindsight i have a problem with with his managing is that i think he should have started big sexy in that game. he at least had the heart to maybe have a quality start in that situation.

sellers again this year and yet they were only three different one run outcomes away from playing .500 ball.

who sees .500 ball from this club next year?

i'll hang up and listen.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 pm
Small Hands wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 pm This should surprise no one. The two knuckleheads have been chomping at the bit to fire him. I will say this team massively underachieved not only by Twins fans standards, but also by national analysts standards. The bullpen was a joke. I never understood his lineups, and he seemed to lose his young talents interest. Seemed like a decent guy, but I'm fine with a change as long as they bring in the right guy.
as i said earlier i think that this is a blessing in disguise for molitor with the state of the franchise right now. it's in rebuild mode and i doubt that there's any real improvement in the next two years of his contract. he should kick back and draw that paycheck. his reputation as a HOFer isn't sullied in the least by his four years managing this club.

and outside of a truly dreadful second season-i think he got the most out of his talent in the other three years. sellers at the deadline last year and yet they play their best ball of the season and make the wildcard game. up three runs on the yankees early before santana folds like a cheap suit. in fact the only thing in hindsight i have a problem with with his managing is that i think he should have started big sexy in that game. he at least had the heart to maybe have a quality start in that situation.

sellers again this year and yet they were only three different one run outcomes away from playing .500 ball.

i'll hang up and listen.

Next year will involve some dumpster diving FA's. When the Twins suck again, they will then be looking to sell these bad FA signings at the deadline for a Guy or two who will never amount to anything.

#TwinsWay
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:24 pm Just more ammo for JPM to use when he goes Benedict Arnold on the Twins and becomes a fan of the Yanks, Sox, Cubs or Dodgers.
Since he’s a fake packer and badger fan I’d say the brewers now that they are relevant
The Replacements

i'll hang up and listen.
This will be an interesting year. They have young talent, a very good farm system and payroll flexibility. The challenges will be:

1. Identify the young players they want to keep and try and lock them up long term.
2. Trade away young players that are not part of their future.
3. Find some veteran leadership and improve the clubhouse
4. Fill in the gaps in free agency without mortgaging your future.
5. They have nice depth in OF, SS and an improving group of pitching prospects. Need a manager who will help develop young players

I don't see why the Twins won't be better next year. It's year 3 so they should have an good idea of what they have and what they need.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 pm

i'll hang up and listen.
This will be an interesting year. They have young talent, a very good farm system and payroll flexibility. The challenges will be:

1. Identify the young players they want to keep and try and lock them up long term.
5. They have nice depth in OF, SS and an improving group of pitching prospects. Need a manager who will help develop young players

I don't see why the Twins won't be better next year. It's year 3 so they should have an good idea of what they have and what they need.
and they play in a terrible division. so if they aren't better we can safely assume that it wasn't the manager. right?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 pm

i'll hang up and listen.

What?!?

Every young guy they have hinged their success on has been a complete letdown so far. Rosario maybe but good Lord.

We already know they won't do anything meaningful in FA. They never have in my lifetime.

This team is a absolute mess right now.

Good farm system? When is the last time they have brought up anyone who lived up to the hype?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

BLOG
Chip Scoggins
Twins make mistake in firing Paul Molitor
By Chip Scoggins OCTOBER 2, 2018 — 12:42PM

Paul Molitor was honored as the AL Manager of the Year after the 2017 season.

On Tuesday, the Twins fired him after a disappointing 2018 season.

The Twins new brain trust of Derek Falvey and Thad Levine got it wrong with this decision. They made Molitor a scapegoat for a season in which many things went wrong, including a number of their own personnel decisions.

I argued in my Tuesday column that Molitor deserved to return based on all the factors that contributed to this ugly season. Miguel Sano showed up to spring training out of shape at nearly 300 pounds. Staff ace Ervin Santana (finger surgery) and shortstop Jorge Polanco (drug suspension) missed the first half of the season. Falvey and Levine mostly whiffed on veteran pickups Logan Morrison, Lance Lynn, Addison Reed, Zach Duke and Jake Odorizzi.

Those factors sabotaged this season and weren't the fault of Molitor, who signed a three-year contract last offseason and had two more seasons left on his deal.

Molitor's job looked in jeopardy when owner Jim Pohlad declined to give him a vote of confidence during an interview with the Star Tribune last week.

It's fairly common for new management to make coaching changes when they take over a team. Executives like to hire their own coaches. That's part of the sports business. Falvey and Levine basically had no choice but to extend Molitor's contract after he guided the Twins to the one-game playoff last season.

Molitor didn't become a bad manager in one season. He didn't lose his clubhouse. He adapted his managerial style to mesh with the new-age principles of Falvey and Levine in terms of analytics and defensive shifts.

Unless there were personality clashes behind the scenes that we're not privy to, this move doesn't make sense to me, other than Falvey and Levine wanted their own hand-picked manager.

The pressure on them increases in a major way with this decision. Their next choice of manager is a critical hire for the direction of the organization. This will be a total house cleaning. They have to get it right because they just fired a man who was recognized as the Manager of the Year one year ago.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm BLOG
Chip Scoggins
Twins make mistake in firing Paul Molitor
By Chip Scoggins OCTOBER 2, 2018 — 12:42PM

Paul Molitor was honored as the AL Manager of the Year after the 2017 season.

On Tuesday, the Twins fired him after a disappointing 2018 season.

The Twins new brain trust of Derek Falvey and Thad Levine got it wrong with this decision. They made Molitor a scapegoat for a season in which many things went wrong, including a number of their own personnel decisions.

I argued in my Tuesday column that Molitor deserved to return based on all the factors that contributed to this ugly season. Miguel Sano showed up to spring training out of shape at nearly 300 pounds. Staff ace Ervin Santana (finger surgery) and shortstop Jorge Polanco (drug suspension) missed the first half of the season. Falvey and Levine mostly whiffed on veteran pickups Logan Morrison, Lance Lynn, Addison Reed, Zach Duke and Jake Odorizzi.

Those factors sabotaged this season and weren't the fault of Molitor, who signed a three-year contract last offseason and had two more seasons left on his deal.

Molitor's job looked in jeopardy when owner Jim Pohlad declined to give him a vote of confidence during an interview with the Star Tribune last week.

It's fairly common for new management to make coaching changes when they take over a team. Executives like to hire their own coaches. That's part of the sports business. Falvey and Levine basically had no choice but to extend Molitor's contract after he guided the Twins to the one-game playoff last season.

Molitor didn't become a bad manager in one season. He didn't lose his clubhouse. He adapted his managerial style to mesh with the new-age principles of Falvey and Levine in terms of analytics and defensive shifts.

Unless there were personality clashes behind the scenes that we're not privy to, this move doesn't make sense to me, other than Falvey and Levine wanted their own hand-picked manager.

The pressure on them increases in a major way with this decision. Their next choice of manager is a critical hire for the direction of the organization. This will be a total house cleaning. They have to get it right because they just fired a man who was recognized as the Manager of the Year one year ago.
Monitor has done virtually nothing here. 4 seasons and he made a play in game on a down year in MLB. Yay. If this wasn't a "Minnesota guy" there would be nothing to see here.

Sidenote: They may give him another position within the organization.

#MusicalChairs
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Falvey & Levine never wanted Molly and would have fired him last year if the Twins didn't play well. A new direction has been needed for years for this organization and it's pretty much a major housecleaning that has taken place and now that's done, so let's give them a couple years going forward to see what they can do. The old system wasn't working and Molly unfortunately was a victim of the change. Don't weep for him though, he'll be just fine!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

I just didn't like Molitor that much.
Hope they find a good candidate.

Good luck to Moli.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Not sure how this is gonna really improve our team?
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:32 pm
Mizuno Man wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 pm See ya!!! A year too late imo.
2017 Al Manager of the year...should have been fired last year? Welcome the Gaybe's preposterous tourney!!
Anyone with half a brain knew it was a fluke. They didn't want him back but had to after that. Look how it turned out?

Underwhelming season and canned
Are you saying you have 1/2 a brain?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jakazz30 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Mizuno Man wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 pm

2017 Al Manager of the year...should have been fired last year? Welcome the Gaybe's preposterous tourney!!
Anyone with half a brain knew it was a fluke. They didn't want him back but had to after that. Look how it turned out?

:naners:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 pm
jakazz30 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 pm

:naners:
:beer:
Just having fun..
full force five

Post by full force five »

Falvey & Levine should be put on notice. If they don't have an awesome off-season attendance number will slip even more. Joe will retire. They need to sign several studs (not hopeful). It's there team and so far it's been a shit show.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

full force five wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am Falvey & Levine should be put on notice. If they don't have an awesome off-season attendance number will slip even more. Joe will retire. They need to sign several studs (not hopeful). It's there team and so far it's been a shit show.
You want them to sign several studs? This is the Twins not the Yankees
full force five

Post by full force five »

Did you see the bracket after? Can you read?

They need to, will they I doubt it.

This is the Twins not the Yankees is exactly why people still go to twins games. Zero expectations or pressure to put a decent product on the field.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Twins under Molitor:

78-84
85-77
59-103
83-79

considering the four years before were 63, 66, 66 and 70, yeah, he didn't deserve to get canned. Winning 78 on paper surprises me given the whole season felt like a disaster. Helps to be in the worst division in baseball.

8 years now without an appearance in the divisional series. The 90s had 10 years... what a funk this franchise is in!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

They need a manager who will develop the young talent. No reason why this team hasn't performed better. The success of Falvey/Levine is not signing high priced free agents. It's modernizing the draft/minor league system to draft and develop better players. I liked both their drafts so far and I'm curious how quickly we can see that impact the major league club.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am
full force five wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am Falvey & Levine should be put on notice. If they don't have an awesome off-season attendance number will slip even more. Joe will retire. They need to sign several studs (not hopeful). It's there team and so far it's been a shit show.
You want them to sign several studs? This is the Twins not the Yankees
They have a lot of payroll open next year, whoa!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.