Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Berrios

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Jimtown guy

Berrios

Post by Jimtown guy »

Makes first ever all star game. Rosario in the final five for final all star pick in the AL

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018 ... -reserves/
Jimtown guy

Re: Berrios

Post by Jimtown guy »

Wilson Ramos is an All-Star. That trade for Matt Capps is an all-timer for the Twins on the horrendous scale. Thanks TR
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

nice
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:50 pm Wilson Ramos is an All-Star. That trade for Matt Capps is an all-timer for the Twins on the horrendous scale. Thanks TR
Ouch! We badly need a catcher also. That trade seems eons ago.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:50 pm Wilson Ramos is an All-Star. That trade for Matt Capps is an all-timer for the Twins on the horrendous scale. Thanks TR
Not defending the trade, but Ramos has never really been that good. He's only ever had 500 plate appearances twice in his career, and he's only had like 3 good seasons in his career. I guess my point is that the trade could have been a lot worse than it's been.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I didnt view Berrios as a potential all star this year, but looking at his numbers after I heard he made the team, they are better than I thought. A solid ERA, one strikeout per inning, and an astounding 1.00 WHIP.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm I didnt view Berrios as a potential all star this year, but looking at his numbers after I heard he made the team, they are better than I thought. A solid but not great ERA, one strikeout per inning, and an astounding 1.00 WHIP.
His ERA was trending down and was almost under 3.00 before the wind blew out one day at Wrigley. His peripherals are awesome, and he's got that bulldog in him you want in your ace. I'm excited about what he's going to bring over the next few years.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I don't like the Capps trade, but it is what it is. The Twins could have signed Ramos as a free agent at the end of 2016. They signed Castro instead.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm I didnt view Berrios as a potential all star this year, but looking at his numbers after I heard he made the team, they are better than I thought. A solid ERA, one strikeout per inning, and an astounding 1.00 WHIP.
A WHIP of 1.00 halfway through the season for a starting pitcher in the AL is pretty damn impressive.

Sucks that Rosario is gonna get screwed out of the ASG though. I'd bet my house Giancarlo Stanton gets more votes than he does.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:06 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm I didnt view Berrios as a potential all star this year, but looking at his numbers after I heard he made the team, they are better than I thought. A solid ERA, one strikeout per inning, and an astounding 1.00 WHIP.
A WHIP of 1.00 halfway through the season for a starting pitcher in the AL is pretty damn impressive.

Sucks that Rosario is gonna get screwed out of the ASG though. I'd bet my house Giancarlo Stanton gets more votes than he does.
Yup. His numbers overall are far superior to Stanton.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

well yeah, of course Stanton will get in over Eddie. And its not like he doesnt deserve it either...big market aside, he has the past history and numbers to get it, and he plays for a legitimate contender. Eddie may have an advantage in numbers, but its very slight. Its not like Eddie is blowing him away and is about to get snubbed just cause the other dude plays in NY
Rock Me Abbrederis

Post by Rock Me Abbrederis »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:21 pm

well yeah, of course Stanton will get in over Eddie. And its not like he doesnt deserve it either...big market aside, he has the past history and numbers to get it, and he plays for a legitimate contender. Eddie may have an advantage in numbers, but its very slight. Its not like Eddie is blowing him away and is about to get snubbed just cause the other dude plays in NY
Rosario has clearly had a better first half. He has the edge in RBI, AVG, OPS and WAR...
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Rosario has clearly had a better first half. He has the edge in RBI, AVG, OPS and WAR...
If it were based on numbers alone, then yeah, you take Eddie. Even without the NYY market though, I think Stanton would get in over Eddie.

He's got the past history (name recognition), and he plays for a contender...the numbers arent too shabby either.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Eddie might get in via injury or something. No way he's getting in before Stanton.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 pm Eddie might get in via injury or something. No way he's getting in before Stanton.
pretty much. as stated above, he has arguably the best stats of the 5 but going against NYY and BOS players especially HR derby darling...
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Stanton would get in if he were hitting .225/10/25.

People know Giancarlo Stanton....nobody knows Eddie Rosario.

Just gotta hope for Trout, Springer, Judge, Brantley, Betts, and Ahh-Choo to all pull a hammy.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I love me some Berrios and honestly think he is the centerpiece of this team going forward but......Rosario got 100% hosed here. Rosario was way more deserving. MLB has some weird rules for their all-star game :thumbsdown:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:50 pm
Rock Me Abbrederis wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:47 pm

If it were based on numbers alone, then yeah, you take Eddie. Even without the NYY market though, I think Stanton would get in over Eddie.

He's got the past history (name recognition), and he plays for a contender...the numbers arent too shabby either.
This is another factor that often get's overlooked. I don't agree with it but the all-star game is honestly first about who the fans want to see and second who actually deserves to get it.

MLB should implement something like the NBA system
In 2017, the NBA moved from a pure fan vote to a weighted process wherein fan voting accounts for 50% of the total and player and media voting account for 25% each.[1] The league made the change in response to social media campaigns that resulted in mediocre players such as journeyman Zaza Pachulia nearly being voted as All-Star starters over more deserving players.
And while it isn't nearly as sexy, the awards that are handed out after the season are more often given to the most deserving players.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

One of a few bright spots this season. He has shown that he can be our ace until he becomes a free agent and leaves for NY.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Eddie will make it in. They always have at least 4 - 5 guys that don't make it.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

No love for Double E?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Jimtown guy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:17 pm No love for Double E?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Between him, Berrios, and Rosario it's really splitting hairs as all three are almost equally worthy IMO. To be fair though for as good a season as Escobar is having he has been in a funk for most of the last three weeks or so, which ultimately probably cost him and it's tough to argue with the 3B and SS that got the nods over him. How Michael Brantley got the nod over Rosario however is a bit more of a headscratcher, but at the end of the day teams that are well below .500 often get just one representative so I hope most of the rest of the roster harbors some guilt knowing that their collective poor play this season likely cost one or both of them AS nominations.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Seattle Mariners shortstop Jean Segura and Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar were winners of the MLB Final Vote and will represent their respective leagues at the 2018 All-Star Game.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Wonder if he is a little fatigued or hurt. Velo is down 2 mph last few starts.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm One of a few bright spots this season. He has shown that he can be our ace until he becomes a free agent and leaves for NY.
Nah man.

I'm sure we'll trade him and get a bunch of scrubs in return!

#CheapPohlads
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

#what's the payroll
#carlisdead
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

DC4MVP wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm One of a few bright spots this season. He has shown that he can be our ace until he becomes a free agent and leaves for NY.
Nah man.

I'm sure we'll trade him and get a bunch of scrubs in return!

#CheapPohlads
This post sums it up :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 pm Seattle Mariners shortstop Jean Segura and Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar were winners of the MLB Final Vote and will represent their respective leagues at the 2018 All-Star Game.
Wow.

Bummed Every Inning Eddie didn't win but pretty cool to see a Mariner beat out a Yankee, Angel, and Red Sock.

Thought Judge had it in the bag.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

DC4MVP wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:25 pm Seattle Mariners shortstop Jean Segura and Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesus Aguilar were winners of the MLB Final Vote and will represent their respective leagues at the 2018 All-Star Game.
Wow.

Bummed Every Inning Eddie didn't win but pretty cool to see a Mariner beat out a Yankee, Angel, and Red Sock.

Rosario will wind up there....
Player injuries..replacements.

(Judge is a starter.....do you mean Stanton?)
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

jakazz30 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 pm
Wow.

Rosario will wind up there....
Player injuries..replacements.

(Judge is a starter.....do you mean Stanton?)
Yes, Stanton.

Was reading Judge's wikipedia just a few mins before