Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Where do the Twins go from here?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
A Kickass Offense

Re: Where do the Twins go from here?

Post by A Kickass Offense »

I have it on good authority that Hand, who is a Chanhassen, MN native, was deeply disappointed that the Twins never put a claim in on him years ago when he ended up moving from the Marlins to the Padres.

He'll get a chance to play against the Twins quite often now, and I expect him to carry this type of chip on his shoulder each and every time he plays us.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm
feekdogg wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:24 am Cleveland just got Brad Hand. Tight games against the Tribe just got a lot tougher.
Hand, Miller, and Allen.... Wowza.
Until he proves otherwise, Miller is a non factor. When he actually has been healthy this year, he's looked like a shell of himself. They've run him into the ground since getting him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

A Kickass Offense wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm I have it on good authority that Hand, who is a Chanhassen, MN native, was deeply disappointed that the Twins never put a claim in on him years ago when he ended up moving from the Marlins to the Padres.

He'll get a chance to play against the Twins quite often now, and I expect him to carry this type of chip on his shoulder each and every time he plays us.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
i have to be honest-i don't know where the twins go from here on this season. they'll probably sell for prospects and prospects in baseball are just like buying a pig in a poke. can the bats have a super hot second half and carry the team? their only hope to stay relevant in the late summer months. i hope so-but not going to have high expectations to see it actually happen.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

With shrewd trade, Indians leave Twins in AL Central dust
By trading for All-Star closer and Minnesota native Brad Hand, along with rookie reliever Adam Cimber, Cleveland sacrificed an excellent catching prospect and provided a reminder that timing can be as important as talent.

JIM SOUHAN

Cleveland on Thursday made the kind of high-cost, precision trade that can decide a division and lead to a World Series. The move became the latest concerning development of the week for the tea-leaves-reading Twins.

By trading for All-Star closer and Minnesota native Brad Hand, along with rookie reliever Adam Cimber, Cleveland sacrificed an excellent catching prospect and provided a reminder that timing can be as important as talent.

The Twins won with a walkoff grand slam Sunday to finish a 9-2 homestand and raise hopes in the clubhouse that the front office would stand pat or look to add a key player or two via trade, but in the past six days, the team’s hopes have taken these kidney punches:

• Center fielder Byron Buxton was placed on the disabled list at Class AAA Rochester because of a sore wrist. For a player whose iffy hitting mechanics were in the midst of an overhaul, the setback could prove costly.

• Third baseman Miguel Sano left his Florida boot camp to visit an ailing relative in the Dominican Republic just as he was to begin playing in games every day. Maybe a few days off won’t hurt him, but it will slow his progress toward returning to the big leagues.

He is now three steps away — playing every day at Class A Fort Myers, cutting down on his strikeouts and then succeeding against Class AAA pitching. The delay won’t help with a timetable that could prove crucial to the Twins’ ability to chase Cleveland.

Cleveland traded for Hand and Cimber, fortifying a poor bullpen that was the team’s only obvious flaw. Cleveland ranks second in the American League in starter ERA and next-to-last in reliever ERA. Two-time All-Star reliever Andrew Miller, out since late May because of an inflamed right knee, is on a minor league rehab assignment and could return to the Indians soon.

The Twins have gone from being 7½ games behind a flawed team to being 7½ games behind a team that might be on par with the other powerhouse teams.

This is a reminder of the importance of timing in sports, especially for middle-market franchises that rely on the development of young players.

In 1987, the Twins that broke Minnesota’s championship drought won only 85 games, taking advantage of a weak division, and might not have won the World Series if the American League wasn’t in line to enjoy home-field advantage.

In 1991, the Twins, similarly, won only home games in the World Series, which was all they needed to do because of home-field advantage.

The endearing Twins teams of the 2000s capitalized on Cleveland’s decline at the beginning of the decade to dominate a weak division.

This year the division again looks weak, with the exception of Cleveland, which sees a two-year window to win a championship with its current strong rotation and lineup.

Friday, the Twins begin the post-break portion of their schedule at Kansas City. The Royals have won one division title since 1985. In 2015, they won the Central, then the World Series, proving to the Twins of the 2000s that peaking at the right time for one season can be more rewarding than sustaining success.

This year’s “race” between Cleveland and Minnesota can now be summarized by these transactions:

Cleveland cut Matt Belisle from Class AAA Columbus.

The Twins signed Belisle and added him to the major league roster.

Cleveland then traded for an All-Star closer.

The Twins could trade Lance Lynn and still make the case that they’re trying to win the division, because of their organizational pitching depth.

But if they trade Brian Dozier or Fernando Rodney, they have signaled the premature beginning of spring training, 2019.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

SELL
SELL
SELL
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 pm SELL
SELL
SELL
Now that Manny was traded to the Dodgers....
I anticipate more interest in Escobar.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:57 pm
SELL
SELL
I'd hate to see Eddie go, but this is not the time for emotional attachment, it's the time for getting better. If we can get some quality for EE then you do it......
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:03 pm
SELL
SELL
I'd hate to see Eddie go, but this is not the time for emotional attachment, it's the time for getting better. If we can get some quality for EE then you do it......
Yep....
On the emotional attachment: a young jakazz' favorite player on the Twins was Steve Braun. (He played 3rd base...my family had season tickets on the 3rd base line...1st row. He'd interact with us between innings, etc..)

When MLB expanded, and Seattle took him in the draft I was disappointed......but I kinda understood why the Twins left him available.

It's a choice....I can still like a player regardless of where he is playing, but I ultimately want the team better.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Yep....
On the emotional attachment: a young jakazz' favorite player on the Twins was Steve Braun. (He played 3rd base...my family had season tickets on the 3rd base line...1st row. He'd interact with us between innings, etc..)

When MLB expanded, and Seattle took him in the draft I was disappointed......but I kinda understood why the Twins left him available.

It's a choice....I can still like a player regardless of where he is playing, but I ultimately want the team better.
STEVE BRAUN!? WOW....I forgot you are old like me! I remember Braun as being a good hittin lefty who had a nice little career......certainly better than Steve Brye!
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Yep....

STEVE BRAUN!? WOW....I forgot you are old like me! I remember Braun as being a good hittin lefty who had a nice little career......certainly better than Steve Brye!
Braun's career was lengthened greatly because he had a unique skill that Whitey Herzog loved.....
An amazing pinch hitter.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Yep....

Braun's career was lengthened greatly because he had a unique skill that Whitey Herzog loved.....
An amazing pinch hitter.
he must have just loved the challenge of hitting. he always could. i remember steve braun too and also remember him as being better than his SB brother steve brye.

weren't those third base tickets at the met sitting on bleacher seats. i saw a couple of games from there and that's my memory of what i sat on watching those contests.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 pm

An amazing pinch hitter.
he must have just loved the challenge of hitting. he always could. i remember steve braun too and also remember him as being better than his SB brother steve brye.

weren't those third base tickets at the met sitting on bleacher seats. i saw a couple of games from there and that's my memory of what i sat on watching those contests.
Third base area was divided....the front about 10 rows were blue metal folding chairs.(bolted together)
The area behind it was wooden bleachers.

Those damn chairs sometimes were almost impossible to sit on though...Imagine a metal chair just baking in the summer sun.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Not to be confused with Steve Brye.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

TK always had a good pinch hitter on the bench. Bush, Davis, Hale, etc.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JPM wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:46 pm TK always had a good pinch hitter on the bench. Bush, Davis, Hale, etc.
It's unfortunate that someone with that skill no longer has a role....
(The 13 man pitching staff has killed the bench)
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Those green chairs welded together were priceless. As were the tiny ticket booths just out front before you passed through the massive turnstile. The colored panels were magical however.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

When I saw Wally McCarthy's Lindahl Olds the butterflies kicked in.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JPM wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:06 pm When I saw Wally McCarthy's Lindahl Olds the butterflies kicked in.
To me it was the Longines clock on top of the scoreboard...

During the pre-game.....I was always fascinated with the grounds crew.
Little things. Example: the Twins didn't have that "rolling" thing to lay down the chalk line in the infield....they had a long box that would place down a few times, and pour the chalk in it. (Basically a stencil)

They also stenciled the logos for the teams in colored chalk in the on-deck circles.....but I really didn't see the finished product very often with my view.
Billy Bremner

Post by Billy Bremner »

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 pm

An amazing pinch hitter.

Third base area was divided....the front about 10 rows were blue metal folding chairs.(bolted together)
The area behind it was wooden bleachers.

Those damn chairs sometimes were almost impossible to sit on though...Imagine a metal chair just baking in the summer sun.
There was a walkway under those bleachers that had a roof over it, but you could get off the walkway and go directly under the seats. More ladies wore skirts back in those days, just sayin'.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm i watched the red sox-yankees game saturday night for seven innings when sale shut down the bronx bomber lineup. if buxton and sano are the bust brothers? back to square one. and it's going to take years for them to field a competitive lineup that can compete with either of these two teams. there's so much power with those teams-at least you have the blueprint to what you need to do. good luck.

and that doesn't even go into what you need to do to get the arms to compete with these franchises. it looks bleak to me.
Who is available in free agency to help Twins?
Free agency will be used to supplement the core roster, Derek Falvey said.

http://www.startribune.com/who-is-avail ... 499368011/

Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton, who underperformed and spent time on the disabled list last season, are major unanswered questions. In fact, some in the organization feel it can’t make significant additions this offseason because they need to figure out if the former top prospects can produce the goods in 2019. If they don’t, they might have to re-examine their long-term plan.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 pm the Twins didn't have that "rolling" thing to lay down the chalk line in the infield....they had a long box that would place down a few times, and pour the chalk in it. (Basically a stencil)
that's what the did at the dome for vikes games as well, a couple times a game they would go out and do touch up work
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am
jakazz30 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 pm the Twins didn't have that "rolling" thing to lay down the chalk line in the infield....they had a long box that would place down a few times, and pour the chalk in it. (Basically a stencil)
that's what the did at the dome for vikes games as well, a couple times a game they would go out and do touch up work
Wow!

I learned something..
I only went to 2 Vikings games ever at the Dome..
a 49ers one, and a Packers one..
Both were extreme late minute deals where I was at a sports bar (half-time in Eden Prairie) and someone had tickets and didn't want to go..(I got there in the 1st quarter)
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

I hope we make a trade and add some talent. We have the assets. Just need to find the right deal.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Over under 20M spent in total on outside free agents
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:51 pm
Slim Shady wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am
Wow!

I learned something..
I only went to 2 Vikings games ever at the Dome..
a 49ers one, and a Packers one..
Both were extreme late minute deals where I was at a sports bar (half-time in Eden Prairie) and someone had tickets and didn't want to go..(I got there in the 1st quarter)
Half-Time :lol:
I remember going there

my re-chalking memory is based on the 1st season in the dome, not sure when they started painting