Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Olney: Top 10 landing spots for Madison Bumgarner

A place to discuss the MN Twins
salamander

Olney: Top 10 landing spots for Madison Bumgarner

Post by salamander »

Why not us? Why not now? What would it take?
Yes, Bumgarner does have a no-trade clause that includes eight clubs -- the Astros, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Phillies, Red Sox and Yankees. But, as we wrote in more detail Monday, interested executives see it as an opportunity for the pitcher to get some extra cash from the Giants on the way out -- and not as a roadblock to a deal.

Based on conversations with rival evaluators, here's how teams could stack up as possible fits for a Bumgarner trade with the Giants:

6. Minnesota Twins: The Twins might have the need and the will to do a Bumgarner deal, although the lackluster AL Central takes the pressure off Minnesota to pay aggressively for anybody.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... -bumgarner
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Olney: Top 10 landing spots for Madison Bumgarner

Post by RubeTube »

salamander wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm Why not us? Why not now? What would it take?
Yes, Bumgarner does have a no-trade clause that includes eight clubs -- the Astros, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Phillies, Red Sox and Yankees. But, as we wrote in more detail Monday, interested executives see it as an opportunity for the pitcher to get some extra cash from the Giants on the way out -- and not as a roadblock to a deal.

Based on conversations with rival evaluators, here's how teams could stack up as possible fits for a Bumgarner trade with the Giants:

6. Minnesota Twins: The Twins might have the need and the will to do a Bumgarner deal, although the lackluster AL Central takes the pressure off Minnesota to pay aggressively for anybody.

I agree, the Central is a giant turd but are they content to just get beat right away in the playoffs?

Who am I kidding! This is the PERFECT season so far for the Pohlads. Cheap team, hit their 2 million fan quota, profit!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Castro-Gordon-Rooker

Get it done FalVine
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Like the Twins were ever going to go after him :lol:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

This will be another example of the Twins sitting on their hands, and overvaluing prospects. Mad Bum should be a top priority. Think Verlander to the Astros.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm Castro-Gordon-Rooker

Get it done FalVine
They'll want 1 of our top pitchers and I would say no to that.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm Castro-Gordon-Rooker

Get it done FalVine
They'll want 1 of our top pitchers and I would say no to that.
Me too. We aren't trying to get rid of pitchers, we are trying to acquire them. Bochy is leaving, rebuild is eminent.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Here's what the Tigers got from the Astros for Verlander: The Astros gave up their 3, 9 and 11 prospects. Lavelle ranks the Twins prospects: Graterol (3), Gordon (9) and Arraez (10 (he only had a top 10 with the last published ranking)). MLB ranks them Graterol (3), Enlow (9) and Gonsalves (11).

Now obviously by the MLB rankings, there's no way the Twins should give up 3 pitching prospects and I want to keep Graterol no matter what, but there's definitely some workable pieces in there that should be intriguing for a team like SF.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

feekdogg wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 am Here's what the Tigers got from the Astros for Verlander: The Astros gave up their 3, 9 and 11 prospects. Lavelle ranks the Twins prospects: Graterol (3), Gordon (9) and Arraez (10 (he only had a top 10 with the last published ranking)). MLB ranks them Graterol (3), Enlow (9) and Gonsalves (11).

Now obviously by the MLB rankings, there's no way the Twins should give up 3 pitching prospects and I want to keep Graterol no matter what, but there's definitely some workable pieces in there that should be intriguing for a team like SF.

Javier
Duran
Gordon

would probably get it done

I think some of you put way too much value on prospects. It's ok to trade farm assets to acquire great talent sometimes. I wouldn't move Lewis, Kirloff, or Graterol. None of the others should be off limits IMO.
The Replacements

Small Hands wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 am Here's what the Tigers got from the Astros for Verlander: The Astros gave up their 3, 9 and 11 prospects. Lavelle ranks the Twins prospects: Graterol (3), Gordon (9) and Arraez (10 (he only had a top 10 with the last published ranking)). MLB ranks them Graterol (3), Enlow (9) and Gonsalves (11).

Javier
Duran
Gordon

I think some of you put way too much value on prospects. It's ok to trade farm assets to acquire great talent sometimes. I wouldn't move Lewis, Kirloff, or Graterol. None of the others should be off limits IMO.
I think you value Bumgarner way too much. He is no longer a difference maker. Recent analysis by Fangraphs:

"Profile: Just a few seasons ago, Bumgarner was one of the elite arms in the game but his skill set is slowly eroding. This worsening can be seen by a two-year decline in his K-BB% (22% to 18% to 12%) with both his strikeouts (10.0 K/9 to 8.6K/9) and walks (2.1 BB/9 to 3.0 BB/9) getting worse. The strikeout decline wasn’t from velocity loss but from his curveball losing some spin, dropping five fewer inches, and seeing it’s swinging strike rate drop from 22% to 12%. Additionally, injuries have set him back by throwing 111 and 129 innings the past two seasons. His one saving grace during this decline has been a low-3’s ERA fueled by a sub-.280 BABIP. While his overall 43% GB% is extreme, the batted ball nature of each his individual pitch is above average. His cutter and four-seam have sub-37% GB% while his curve is at 54% and change at 67%. Owners must hope he can continue the hit suppression or his value’s going to fall fast."
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

What the Astros gave up wasn't all that bad. The prize of the trade for the Tigers was getting Franklin Perez who was the Astros #3 prospect. While he is still young and a top 100 prospect he projects as just a mid rotation starter (something the Twins have a lot of in their system).

I agree that the Twins have a deep enough system that they shouldn't have to part with any of their top guys. A player I can see getting moved is Rooker. He just doesn't seem to have a future in this organization. I say that because we have Kepler signed longterm, Larnach coming through the ranks and they are seriously considering changing Kirilloff to 1B. Other than DH I don't see how he can make it long term here with all those other players ahead of him. To me that makes him an interesting trade chip because he is about ready for his MLB debut (probably next year) and has some serious power potential.

Maybe Rooker, Duran or Enlow and a filler will get it done?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

The Replacements wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 am

Javier
Duran
Gordon

I think you value Bumgarner way too much. He is no longer a difference maker. Recent analysis by Fangraphs:

"Profile: Just a few seasons ago, Bumgarner was one of the elite arms in the game but his skill set is slowly eroding. This worsening can be seen by a two-year decline in his K-BB% (22% to 18% to 12%) with both his strikeouts (10.0 K/9 to 8.6K/9) and walks (2.1 BB/9 to 3.0 BB/9) getting worse. The strikeout decline wasn’t from velocity loss but from his curveball losing some spin, dropping five fewer inches, and seeing it’s swinging strike rate drop from 22% to 12%. Additionally, injuries have set him back by throwing 111 and 129 innings the past two seasons. His one saving grace during this decline has been a low-3’s ERA fueled by a sub-.280 BABIP. While his overall 43% GB% is extreme, the batted ball nature of each his individual pitch is above average. His cutter and four-seam have sub-37% GB% while his curve is at 54% and change at 67%. Owners must hope he can continue the hit suppression or his value’s going to fall fast."
He's dealt with injuries the last couple years and is finally healthy again. His velocity has been up in the last 4 starts. He's avging 92 on his fastball for the first time since 2016.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Javier
Duran
Gordon

Wasn't this similar to what was being said about Verlander a couple years ago? That deal turned out quite nicely for the Astro's, wouldn't you type? I'd take my chances on Bumgarner anyday of the week and twice on Friday.....GET ER DONE!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Pull the fucking trigger! This pitching staff is an underdog against any team we will see in the playoffs.
The Replacements

Hornets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 am

Javier
Duran
Gordon

Wasn't this similar to what was being said about Verlander a couple years ago? That deal turned out quite nicely for the Astro's, wouldn't you type? I'd take my chances on Bumgarner anyday of the week and twice on Friday.....GET ER DONE!!
Houston made important changes that actually improved Verlander. Here's what he said:

“When I first got to the organization, they kind of showed me some of the stuff that they can do, and try to do,” he said. “When you get older, every competitive advantage is an advantage, and I wanted that. I joke with guys in the organization that I was probably the first pitcher to come over and ask for more information, because they can kind of give you a lot. I want more. Give me everything you’ve got.”

More from the article:

Verlander is the highest-profile pitcher to show sudden and stunning improvement upon joining the Astros, but he is hardly alone. Before spin rate became something discussed on practically every MLB broadcast, Collin McHugh became its poster boy when, after starting his career 0-8 with an 8.94 ERA, he joined the Houston club in 2014, learned his curveball featured atypically sharp break, and became an effective big-league pitcher.

Charlie Morton has enjoyed the two best seasons of his career since becoming an Astro before the 2017 season. Game 2 starter Gerrit Cole saw his strikeout rate spike and his WHIP drop in his first year with the Astros in 2018. Ryan Pressly was a solid Major League reliever when Houston acquired him before this season’s trade deadline, and an unhittable one thereafter.

Add it all up, and it makes for a historically good pitching staff. The 2018 Astros set Major League Baseball record with 1,687 strikeouts on the season. Their 1.099 WHIP was the lowest of any club since baseball’s dead-ball era ended in 1920. They led the majors in swinging-strike rate, allowed the fewest hits of any club and paced the league in K:BB ratio. Their 3.11 team ERA was the best of any American League team over a full season since 1974.

“Our analytics team, our front office does a great job of providing information, providing thoughts, ideas,” manager A.J. Hinch said Friday when asked about the phenomenon. “(Pitching coach) Brent Strom has been a terrific pioneer of a lot of different things with the pitching department.
The Replacements

My point is Houston is the gold standard right now with analytics. I think the Twins are trying to do the same thing. If you believe you can make the same improvements with Bumgarner then his value is higher. I believe he will help the team but it's not likely you're getting Verlander.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Clubhouseleader wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:45 pm Pull the fucking trigger! This pitching staff is an underdog against any team we will see in the playoffs.
This!

Don't worry, they won't make a move though. If they do, it will be a "Phil Nevin" type deal.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:21 pm
Clubhouseleader wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:45 pm Pull the fucking trigger! This pitching staff is an underdog against any team we will see in the playoffs.
This!

Don't worry, they won't make a move though. If they do, it will be a "Phil Nevin" type deal.
You're so much smarter than them. It's a shame you're not running the team. :thinking:
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm
This!

You're so much smarter than them. It's a shame you're not running the team. :thinking:
It's not about smarts. It's about wanting to win.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm

This!

It's about making good baseball decisions. Your narrative is getting stale. Try using the whole brain next time.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

I dont have confidence the luck of all these starters will last. Get the Bum and you might be able to bolster the BP for postseason too.
The Replacements

minnemike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm I dont have confidence the luck of all these starters will last. Get the Bum and you might be able to bolster the BP for postseason too.
People think their getting the World Series MVP Bum. He's not that anymore. He will help them but he's a mid rotation starter now.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm
minnemike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm I dont have confidence the luck of all these starters will last. Get the Bum and you might be able to bolster the BP for postseason too.
People think their getting the World Series MVP Bum. He's not that anymore. He will help them but he's a mid rotation starter now.
As long as he's a dependable start, he could improve the team. His post season experience and cold bloodedness should still be there. Inexperienced staff can use that sort of calming influence.
The Replacements

minnemike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:15 pm
As long as he's a dependable start, he could improve the team. His post season experience and cold bloodedness should still be there. Inexperienced staff can use that sort of calming influence.
I would not put Graterol, Duran, Alcala or Balazovic in the deal. I still don't believe the Twins are World Series contenders no matter what deals they make. I still want them to try and improve the club but I don't want to jeopardize the future. The window is just starting to open and they should contend with this group for the next 3-4 years.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 am
salamander wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm

It's about making good baseball decisions. Your narrative is getting stale. Try using the whole brain next time.
So Bumgarner is a bad baseball decision?

You're pohlad pocket protecting is stale.
Last edited by salamander on Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salamander

Post by salamander »

People think they're getting a mid-rotation guy with World Series bum potential. Use your brain next time
The Replacements

salamander wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm
People think they're getting a mid-rotation guy with World Series bum potential. Use your brain next time
This is what I get trying to discuss logic with an idiot.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:00 pm
salamander wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm

This is what I get trying to discuss logic with an idiot.
Now you're name calling. I guess solidifying our pitching is being an idiot to The Replacements.

You're not discussing anything. You're throwing a temper tantrum because I want the Twins to go after a World Series win.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm
minnemike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:15 pm

I would not put Graterol, Duran, Alcala or Balazovic in the deal. I still don't believe the Twins are World Series contenders no matter what deals they make. I still want them to try and improve the club but I don't want to jeopardize the future. The window is just starting to open and they should contend with this group for the next 3-4 years.
At the same time you can’t sit around thinking you’re just entering a window and will be contenders every year thereafter.

I’d bet all of us thought the Vikings would be contenders year in and year out after the drastic improvement in 2015 and making the playoffs. Every year since has been mired in inconsistency.

You need to take advantage of ANY chance you have at a championship, no matter the circumstances. If by the trade deadline we’re still in contention for best record in the majors then the front office better get serious about improving the roster a la a bumgardner trade or keuchel/kimbrell signing cause there’s no guarantee we’ll ever have this chance again
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

salamander wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm Why not us? Why not now? What would it take?

Why ate the Brewers so special?
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.