Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Harper or Machado?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Harper or Machado?

Post by Mandatory »

Herky wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm Is it true that it was less per year than what the Nationals offered?
Nationals offered 10 years 300 million but I read they were willing to offer more but Harper just wanted out of DC.

Machado got more per year.
Weird deal... he must have really hated them as the DC area is pretty awesome and Philadelphia while an alright place is just filled with god awful people.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm
Herky wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm Is it true that it was less per year than what the Nationals offered?
Nationals offered 10 years 300 million but I read they were willing to offer more but Harper just wanted out of DC.

Machado got more per year.
Weird deal... he must have really hated them as the DC area is pretty awesome and Philadelphia while an alright place is just filled with god awful people.
Harpers personality fits Philly. He’s going to pack CBB regularly.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Herky wrote: Just wait until Trout hits the market. He's twice (maybe three times) the player Harper is and will shatter this contract.
Trout is not a free agent until he's 29 though. He's already being well taken care of on this deal. I'd say he gets more money, but less years.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 am
Herky wrote: Just wait until Trout hits the market. He's twice (maybe three times) the player Harper is and will shatter this contract.
Trout is not a free agent until he's 29 though. He's already being well taken care of on this deal. I'd say he gets more money, but less years.
10 years, $400 million. Something crazy like that. Tim Kirjian said he's gonna get $500 million. :lol: It's out of hand. What would Willy Mays get today? How about Babe Ruth? Crazy money
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

ForCaleb wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:23 pm $330 million for Harper.
13 years!!

I thought Philly wanted a short term deal. So much for that! :lol:
Isn't that double Joe's contract? :shock:
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

My biggest concern would be the durability. He's only 26 and he's been injured often. Plus there's no DH spot for him right now. If that changes, the length of deal would be less of a concern. Not the $400 million everyone thought he would get. Unless the CBA changes, I don't see contracts getting to $400 million. Both Betts and Trout will be free agents after the 2020 season. The current CBA runs through 2021. Those will be interesting times to say the least.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Can I tell you after this season? Very close I think
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:27 am My biggest concern would be the durability. He's only 26 and he's been injured often. Plus there's no DH spot for him right now. If that changes, the length of deal would be less of a concern. Not the $400 million everyone thought he would get. Unless the CBA changes, I don't see contracts getting to $400 million. Both Betts and Trout will be free agents after the 2020 season. The current CBA runs through 2021. Those will be interesting times to say the least.
whoops.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm
The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:27 am My biggest concern would be the durability. He's only 26 and he's been injured often. Plus there's no DH spot for him right now. If that changes, the length of deal would be less of a concern. Not the $400 million everyone thought he would get. Unless the CBA changes, I don't see contracts getting to $400 million. Both Betts and Trout will be free agents after the 2020 season. The current CBA runs through 2021. Those will be interesting times to say the least.
whoops.
He was wrong, but it's the one and only time that he will be.

I don't think that we will ever see a contract like Trout got yesterday ever again in American sports. Baseball is going to strike in a couple years and when they do come back, they will likely have a cap on years but not money.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm
whoops.
I never thought a team would pay that kind of money into a players age 38 season. It's interesting that the Angels, after the Pujols awful contract, are doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Trout is better than Pujols but I have to believe you will be playing a declining player a lot of money for 4-5 years of the 12 year contract.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The Twins could've signed Harper for that exact contract and the Pohlads would've still failed this offseason.
That's how terrible they've been as owners.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

salamander wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 am The Twins could've signed Harper for that exact contract and the Pohlads would've still failed this offseason.
If the Twins offered Harper that contract, his exact response is "fuck off'.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:07 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 am The Twins could've signed Harper for that exact contract and the Pohlads would've still failed this offseason.
If the Twins offered Harper that contract, his exact response is "fuck off'.
:lol: Yeah, that's probably true. Flyover country meh boi.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.