Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Spurgeon extended

A place to discuss the MN Wild
DC4MVP

Spurgeon extended

Post by DC4MVP »

Hornets

Re: Spurgeon extended

Post by Hornets »

Lotta money for a smallish D, but I'm ok. The new NHL requires teams to have defensemen who can handle the puck and we certainly know Spurg can! Hole Nova's gonna poop his pants on this one I bet!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

Meh-nice player and all but diminutive to the point that in the playoffs, where the refs swallow the whistle, he gets ragdolled from in front of the net. I'm not a great hockey mind but I never understood all the Spurg love.
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Worth every penny.

Are there certain weaknesses in his game? Sure there are, name me a player that doesn't have them. Shouldn't hate him because he's not Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger and it's unfair to expect him to play like he's 6'6" 230lbs just because the rest of the team traditionally hasn't had a ton of grit. That's not his fault. Having said that, it's really his only weakness (and it's way overblown BTW), that he's small, he is really really good in just about every other area, but he doesn't do it with a lot of flash or pizazz so it's difficult for a novice or even an average NHL fan to recognize and discern. It wasn't an accident the implosion this team had down the stretch two seasons ago conincided with his absense from that broken ankle.
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 pm Worth every penny.

Are there certain weaknesses in his game? Sure there are, name me a player that doesn't have them. Shouldn't hate him because he's not Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger and it's unfair to expect him to play like he's 6'6" 230lbs just because the rest of the team traditionally hasn't had a ton of grit. That's not his fault. Having said that, it's really his only weakness (and it's way overblown BTW), that he's small, he is really really good in just about every other area, but he doesn't do it with a lot of flash or pizazz so it's difficult for a novice or even an average NHL fan to recognize and discern. It wasn't an accident the implosion this team had down the stretch two seasons ago conincided with his absense from that broken ankle.
Some good points and also some confusing ones. The dude is very skilled, great with puck, great shot, great hockey IQ etc-however He's a very small D-man-meaning the opposing team can own the net area more easily. I don't get the "not his fault" and "don't expect him to play bigger" blather-keeping "feels" and "emotions" out of this the fact remains he's very small D-man and that could be a problem.

Kind of like having a small basketball center,1st baseman, or quarterback-it presents legitimate limitations but I guess there are exceptions to the rule.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

3 years to long in my book. He’s a pretty damn good D man but come playoff time when the refs swallow their whistles and it gets even more physical Spurg gets abused. Look no further than the recent Cup winners. Bottom line is I hate contracts longer than 4/5 years unless it’s for a guy like McDavid or Matthews or some other young super star. With that said let’s play hockey, soon
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Gotta keep in mind we're more than likely going to lose a top-4 dman come the next expansion draft.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

The degree to which pucks end up in the back of the net that are directly attributed to Spurgeon losing a physical battle in front of said net are greatly exaggerated. Two seasons ago, I started an unscientific study of this very specific thing based on nothing more than my own observations and between that season and this past one the found that the number of goals that could be attributed to him losing a physical battle could be counted on one hand. Sure, you can find examples of it happening, but to think it's a thing that happens with regularity is simply erroneous. If you don't believe me I challenge you do it yourself this season or even half the season, I think objectively speaking you would find the same thing.

As far as the playoffs are concerned he did lose a battle against Winnipeg in the playoffs a couple of years ago that led to a goal, but let's not forget he had no business playing as he had a high ankle sprain, but manned up and played at far less than 100% because the team was already down Suter and was relying on two guys on their 3rd pairing that had a handful of NHL games of experience between both of them combined. As far as the aggregate playoff failures are concerned the problem is not on defense (with the exception of the Winnipeg series) the problem was and always has been with the FORWARDS on this team not showing up. Specifically, not being willing or able to go into the dirty areas to get the goals. To be fair, subpar goaltending has also probably cost them a series or two over the years as well.
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

That's all very fine and dandy. Unscientific lols-However according to ESPN stats-Spurgeon is a career -7 in playoffs and I'm pretty sure he's the only one that has ever played hurt in the playoffs.

BTW are you guys effing?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats/_/ ... d-spurgeon
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

The Wild just keep quadrupling down on being the nicest/easiest/softest team in the league.

The best part is they also keep handcuffing themselves with these contracts:

Spurgeon's contract has a no-move early in the contract, modified no-trades late in the contract.

So if ever in my life time, Liepold gets bounced for the 87th time in the playoffs and FINALLY realizes they need to not be soft....Spurgeon will get to have his say. Just like, Parise, Just like Suter, etc...So we get to be "stuck" being soft.

No hate on Spurge. I respect his game. At his size he finds ways to make up for things, angles, reading plays before the come to him, positioning etc...but he's not what this team needs. ZERO to be "excited" about with this signing. More to be concerned about. Your new GM just re-upped the same old guard, that's gotten us ZERO banners in the rafters.

I read on FB "Awesome, he's our best D-man!"- to which all I can reply: "That's too bad."

MN fans think tho "now we have 3 stud defensemen!! Suter, Dumba and Spurge!!!" That's also too bad.
Hole Nova Level

Teh DMB wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 pm Meh-nice player and all but diminutive to the point that in the playoffs, where the refs swallow the whistle, he gets ragdolled from in front of the net. I'm not a great hockey mind but I never understood all the Spurg love.
Oh no, you are a great hockey mind. Trust me. This take is spot on vs. 98% of the MN lake-water-our-ice-drinking-minor-league-MN-hockey fans.

Spurge is a "nice/cute" guy. "He's great in the community" etc....

AKA: MN-nice.

Awe shucks.
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm Lotta money for a smallish D, but I'm ok. The new NHL requires teams to have defensemen who can handle the puck and we certainly know Spurg can! Hole Nova's gonna poop his pants on this one I bet!
I love the "new NHL" take....get's me every time. The "new NHL" is merely rule-changes to headshots and interference aka obstruction, nothing more. Hockey has always required and needed D-men to handle the puck. Every team since the inception of the game of hockey has needed/wanted/been enamored with having Puck-handling/moving D-men. Orr, Leetch, Coffey, Niedermeyer, Doughty, Lidstrom, Keith, Letang etc. It's always been a necessity to have one or two of these guys, just not a whole f-ckin crew of em'!!!! aka WILD.

The "new" NHL still and always will require the old/original roots of the game- to WIN and/or compete for a Stanley Cup. Toughness, bravery, attitude, defending your teammates, grit, size, testosterone etc. aka NOT the WILD.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am
Hornets wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm Lotta money for a smallish D, but I'm ok. The new NHL requires teams to have defensemen who can handle the puck and we certainly know Spurg can! Hole Nova's gonna poop his pants on this one I bet!
I love the "new NHL" take....get's me every time. The "new NHL" is merely rule-changes to headshots and interference aka obstruction, nothing more. Hockey has always required and needed D-men to handle the puck. Every team since the inception of the game of hockey has needed/wanted/been enamored with having Puck-handling/moving D-men. Orr, Leetch, Coffey, Niedermeyer, Doughty, Lidstrom, Keith, Letang etc. It's always been a necessity to have one or two of these guys, just not a whole f-ckin crew of em'!!!! aka WILD.

The "new" NHL still and always will require the old/original roots of the game- to WIN and/or compete for a Stanley Cup. Toughness, bravery, attitude, defending your teammates, grit, size, testosterone etc. aka NOT the WILD.
So you're on board with the move?! ;)
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Teh DMB wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am That's all very fine and dandy. Unscientific lols-However according to ESPN stats-Spurgeon is a career -7 in playoffs and I'm pretty sure he's the only one that has ever played hurt in the playoffs.

BTW are you guys effing?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats/_/ ... d-spurgeon
At least twice a day. I'll videotape the next session for you.
Hole Nova Level

Tiny Spoogy really helped out tonight.

Member like Gus said (can't really blame gus cuz he speaks for most Wild fans) the "game has changed" you need little tiny D men (that intimidate no-one) to win the Cup! LOL

He's a good at passing tho!
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm Lotta money for a smallish D, but I'm ok. The new NHL requires teams to have defensemen who can handle the puck and we certainly know Spurg can!
Wha?!?!?!?

"Diminutive lad"??? Sure, sure...

Gus are you on meds for bi-polar RC disorder????
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:25 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm Lotta money for a smallish D, but I'm ok. The new NHL requires teams to have defensemen who can handle the puck and we certainly know Spurg can!
Wha?!?!?!?

When it rains it pours HNL and the team has gone into full tail spin right now. No, the Wild are not loaded with top players and we all agree on that. The problem right now is that a boatload of playa's are playin poorly and that causes a domino effect. After rippin Spurg early in his career I reluctantly learned to like him, and for the last couple years he has really improved. Right now he and just about everyone in the lineup are digressing and it has become an epidemic of failure. Spurg is not a upper echelon NHL d-man but I stand by my thoughts that teams these days need d-men who can carry the puck and not just play cement footed D. Was his contract out of line? Well, get back to me in 2-3 years then let's debate it. Right now the team is a train wreck but I'm not going to bash their every move as you do because I'm a positivity guy.....got that from being raised in Edina I suppose!
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:33 pm
Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:25 pm
Wha?!?!?!?

When it rains it pours HNL and the team has gone into full tail spin right now. No, the Wild are not loaded with top players and we all agree on that. The problem right now is that a boatload of playa's are playin poorly and that causes a domino effect. After rippin Spurg early in his career I reluctantly learned to like him, and for the last couple years he has really improved. Right now he and just about everyone in the lineup are digressing and it has become an epidemic of failure. Spurg is not a upper echelon NHL d-man but I stand by my thoughts that teams these days need d-men who can carry the puck and not just play cement footed D. Was his contract out of line? Well, get back to me in 2-3 years then let's debate it. Right now the team is a train wreck but I'm not going to bash their every move as you do because I'm a positivity guy.....got that from being raised in Edina I suppose!
Funny how Parise, Suter aren't "top players" anymore, but ALL of their PEERS in the same age range that they were always tiered with, STILL ARE! and what about Dumba?!?!? You literally said recently he was a "Stud"!?!?!?

BTW-Spurgy is 29!!! What am I waiting 2-3 years for exactly?!?!?!

And the only thing you got from Edina was inflated value of hockey players. Edina HS players, don't play in the NHL. You know HS players-your hockey knowledge peaks there, maybe bleeds into college but NOT NHL/NHL caliber players.
focker

Post by focker »

Another no trade clause! The wild probably hands them out on Halloween to kids at the X...

Unreal.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

Spurgeons play on the rink gets me extended, that's for sure
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder
Ron Burgundy 4 President

ILLogic wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 pm Spurgeons play on the rink gets me extended, that's for sure
Good to hear from you! It’s been awhile.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:13 pm
ILLogic wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 pm Spurgeons play on the rink gets me extended, that's for sure
Good to hear from you! It’s been awhile.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum