Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kessel/Johnson for Zucker/Rask on the table

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Kessel/Johnson for Zucker/Rask on the table

Post by Ask Not »

Particulars are not being reported. It sounds like Kessel is the hold-up. He can veto and isn't sure he wants to come to Minnesota.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Kessel/Johnson for Zucker/Rask on the table

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Does Carly stay in Minnesota?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Get the cheeseburgers ready
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 pm Does Carly stay in Minnesota?
Carly and Jason are pretty much the same thing. Both on and off the ice.
Hole Nova Level

BTW, would love to have J. Johnson on this team. I know people hate on his "metrics" but I like his style/game.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:33 pm BTW, would love to have J. Johnson on this team. I know people hate on his "metrics" but I like his style/game.
On the surface I'm almost indifferent (I mean if this team is taking a step back why bring in a vet like Kessel) to this deal. What is intriguing about this is taking Rask's fairly substantial contract off our hands in exchange for Johnson who would be a more useful player now, but is over 30 and has four years left on his contract that pays him 3.25 mil per. In other words what's the point? This Wild team plays in the toughest division in the league and has a very good chance to finish dead least or at least near the bottom for the foreseeable future and that will happen with or w/out Kessel. For Kessel's part I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to come here. Maybe just deal Rask for Johnson straight up?
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Nah man. I'm good if they don't make this trade. Kessel will be 34 or 35 when the contract is over. Johnson will be 36.

We have enough age on this roster and we don't need to spend $11 million on to guys who will be in their mid-30's at the end of their contracts.

Kessel won't get the assists he did in Pittsburgh so he'll probably be closer to a 30/35 guy like he was in Toronto. Not enough fire power to put this team on the next level. MAYBE squeak into the playoffs but they'll get destroyed anyways.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Kessel plays zero D and needs to play with an elite playmaker. Don't need that here right now. He is a better version of Vanek if he comes here with this roster. If the Wild are being honest with themselves they would move Zuck for some picks, but I think the GM and owner have lacked foresight through most of these deals.
Hole Nova Level

Keep in mind kessel and Johnson are pieces that will be enticing at trade deadlines for “other” playoff teams...

I think this deal is useless for the “now”
And geared toward grabbing picks down the road aka at trade deadline.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hate this trade....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm Get the cheeseburgers ready
It's hot dogs, brother.

I don't love the deal but Zuck is 100% going to be moved and the return could be worse than Kessel. I don't think Phil is going to allow it though, and that's OK.

butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:11 pm Hate this trade....
No offense but you hating this trade is a good sign.

LOL.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

LOL.
Would it kill ya to say something positive about my opinion ONCE IN AWHILE?! I understand the Zucker hate, but why would the Wild want to get older with a player that isn't going to contribute much more than JZ? If Kessel were say, 26 or 27 then I'd be ok with it, but if we can't make a positive move for the future by dealing JZ then I don't want it to happen.
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 am

LOL.
Would it kill ya to say something positive about my opinion ONCE IN AWHILE?! I understand the Zucker hate, but why would the Wild want to get older with a player that isn't going to contribute much more than JZ? If Kessel were say, 26 or 27 then I'd be ok with it, but if we can't make a positive move for the future by dealing JZ then I don't want it to happen.
Gus don't be so short-sighted, I posted "why" in this thread. Zucker showed his true colors (yet again). After the Calgary deal fell thru the market collapsed for him. Kessel and Johnson will be "pieces" that PLAYOFF teams will look to add at trade deadline and will give the Wild some "skin" in the game at Trade Deadline.

7 goals in his last 20 games. 0 goals the Wilds final 10 games when they needed em'. Your "big time scorer" (Mike Modano don't think so BTW) aint what you think he is. Teams saw his pussy-ass play at the end of the season and are throwing scraps at the Wild if anything at his point.

Kessel and Johnson have proven name recognition (bigger than Zucker believe it or not, it's true) and will at least net some decent prospects or picks when the time comes, on top of the fact that they will TRY and not fold up shop.

Bottom line your short-sighted feeling on this trade is actually correct. But this aint that.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:08 am

LOL.
Gus don't be so short-sighted, I posted "why" in this thread. Zucker showed his true colors (yet again). After the Calgary deal fell thru the market collapsed for him. Kessel and Johnson will be "pieces" that PLAYOFF teams will look to add at trade deadline and will give the Wild some "skin" in the game at Trade Deadline.

7 goals in his last 20 games. 0 goals the Wilds final 10 games when they needed em'. Your "big time scorer" (Mike Modano don't think so BTW) aint what you think he is. Teams saw his pussy-ass play at the end of the season and are throwing scraps at the Wild if anything at his point.

Kessel and Johnson have proven name recognition (bigger than Zucker believe it or not, it's true) and will at least net some decent prospects or picks when the time comes, on top of the fact that they will TRY and not fold up shop.

Bottom line your short-sighted feeling on this trade is actually correct. But this aint that.
OK, I see where you are going but do you really think Kessel and Johnson could fetch much at the deadline? I'm a bit skeptical of that to say the least. I just want to see that damn Russian kid in our lineup!
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:10 am
Hole Nova Level wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:08 am

OK, I see where you are going but do you really think Kessel and Johnson could fetch much at the deadline? I'm a bit skeptical of that to say the least. I just want to see that damn Russian kid in our lineup!
For all the reasons I just explained I believe so. And clearly Fenton does too.

Fenton saw how ass-hurt Carly/Jason got when he found out he was on the block. Dude was on KFAN pouting about it!!! He's not going into the season with a butt hurt Carly/Jason, dude won't show!!!! He'll get sh-t in return come deadline Cuz Carly will be pouting this whole time knowing he's getting traded, pop in about 11 goals be a minus 7. No chance Fenton is bringing him into the season for 50-60 something half assed pouty games. Do it now and Yes- the Kessel name alone will get more for you at deadline than what Zucker will.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Time will tell Hola, time will tell! Sadly, we have to wait several months to see how things play out.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am Time will tell Hola, time will tell! Sadly, we have to wait several months to see how things play out.
I’m afraid we will have to wait several years before this team even sniffs a Cup
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

As long as it gets Carly off the local radio waves I support almost any near fair value Zuck deal!
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am Time will tell Hola, time will tell! Sadly, we have to wait several months to see how things play out.

I’m afraid we will have to wait several years before this team even sniffs a Cup
Yep. To be honest I think they are a near lock to miss the playoffs altogether until Kaprisov makes his debut (two more seasons I believe). Moreover, the more I think about it, the Wild actually just traded the one guy that could feed Kessel the layups he doesn't miss. In other words, he'd probably consider waiving his NMC more seriously if Granlund was still on the team. Dumba will certainly help as he's now the lone player on the team with any sort of creative acumen in his DNA, but there is only so much a blueliner can do to help forwards, especially at even strength.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Yep. To be honest I think they are a near lock to miss the playoffs altogether until Kaprisov makes his debut (two more seasons I believe). Moreover, the more I think about it, the Wild actually just traded the one guy that could feed Kessel the layups he doesn't miss. In other words, he'd probably consider waiving his NMC more seriously if Granlund was still on the team. Dumba will certainly help as he's now the lone player on the team with any sort of creative acumen in his DNA, but there is only so much a blueliner can do to help forwards, especially at even strength.
Kessel agrees......

Report: Kessel nixed trade to Wild due to belief team won't contend
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1766922
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sniff a cup? When's the last time they "Sniffed a cup?" They look as if they won't be sniffing the playoffs for some time.

Only "Cup sniffing" with be Russo stealing one of the boy's cups after the game.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Pretty ugly. Kessel is almost a one of us, having been born in Sconny, and playing for the Gophers. Former Gophers and midwesterners have lined up in the past to play for the Wild.

Not that its a bad thing this trade didnt happen, I'd rather have the team trading for the future. The bad thing of this trade, is that Kessel said "no thanks" after Fenton called him to talk up the young guys.
Hole Nova Level

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm Pretty ugly. Kessel is almost a one of us, having been born in Sconny, and playing for the Gophers. Former Gophers and midwesterners have lined up in the past to play for the Wild.

Not that its a bad thing this trade didnt happen, I'd rather have the team trading for the future. The bad thing of this trade, is that Kessel said "no thanks" after Fenton called him to talk up the young guys.
Kessel lucked out with that "pick your team-waive your NTC". The best kept secret in the NHL (the Wild's long-time dysfunction since the Baby Jesus bros arrived) is coming to light.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm Pretty ugly. Kessel is almost a one of us, having been born in Sconny, and playing for the Gophers. Former Gophers and midwesterners have lined up in the past to play for the Wild.

Kessel lucked out with that "pick your team-waive your NTC". The best kept secret in the NHL (the Wild's long-time dysfunction since the Baby Jesus bros arrived) is coming to light.
Remember come 7/1 Zucker has it also....
Hole Nova Level

jakazz30 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 pm
Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Remember come 7/1 Zucker has it also....
Which is why Fenton is dealing him in May.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Doesn't matter but I hate that trade.