Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Neal Broten

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Jimtown guy

Neal Broten

Post by Jimtown guy »

Listening to KFAN on my way home from Rapid City and they said Broten got his third DUI in Wisconsin yesterday. I had no idea he had 2 prior to this one. Luckily nobody was hurt. With so many options now with Uber and Lyft why get behind the wheel? Hopefully he either gets help with his drinking or makes better decisions when drinking
weimy froob

Re: Neal Broten

Post by weimy froob »

doesn't he raise horses in river falls? sounds like he's got too much free time on his hands and looks to fill it drinking. and they don't give anybody a break when it comes to drinking and driving these days.

hard to know if there's a real problem there with the alcohol or that he's just too stubborn to not drive.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm doesn't he raise horses in river falls? sounds like he's got too much free time on his hands and looks to fill it drinking. and they don't give anybody a break when it comes to drinking and driving these days.

hard to know if there's a real problem there with the alcohol or that he's just too stubborn to not drive.
He lives in River Falls. I do believe he raises horses.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Too bad if true...THREE TIMES? Broten still is my all time favorite Minnesota born puck player. Still remember like it was yesterday the epic Roseau vs Edina game at the Civic Center back in 78. The Hornets just had too much depth for the Rams but that was the first time I had ever seen or heard of Broten, his brother, and Butzy Erickson....incredible line, arguably best ever in state.

Get help Neal!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Neal baby!! Let's go have a few and "Tool" around town
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm doesn't he raise horses in river falls? sounds like he's got too much free time on his hands and looks to fill it drinking. and they don't give anybody a break when it comes to drinking and driving these days.

Hard to know if he has a problem? How many times do you think he drove drunk but didn't get caught? You wouldn't want this guy zipping around Hampton all willy nilly.
Last edited by Ask Not on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Hard to know if he haves a problem? How many times do you think he drove drunk but didn't get caught? You wouldn't want this guy zipping around Hampton all willy nilly.
Considering he now has 3 DUI’s my guess would be several times
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Sad to hear the news. One of my favorite North Stars.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

70EF52D6-B4C2-42DF-ACD1-83F8FE63FC1C.jpeg
https://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/news ... day-arrest
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

he looks disheveled. i don't know what neal's problem is-like i said earlier he might be drinking because he's bored with life-but i would hazard to guess that he's got an attitude that was developed up in roseau back in his day. and if he was up in roseau the cops might just have let it go.

really hard to say what's going on there without being in the loop.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Pro athletes can have a hard transitioning to regular life. Maybe he should get back involved in hockey somehow.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

I think the Hudson Star Observer needs a new fact-checker!
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Uber and Lyft drivers are not very active out in the East Metro and into WIsconsin.
It is getting better and I think stillwater is even promoting parking up by 36 and uber into downtown.
and in the world of how many times did he not get caught? Just think if they really enforced DUI laws.
DUI is acceptable behavior in our society.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This doesn't necessarily have any correlation, but Neal has been a bit of a recluse since his NHL days were over. Not anything to the level of Mark Pavelich, but he wasn't a big fan of the spotlight when he hung up the skates.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 am Uber and Lyft drivers are not very active out in the East Metro and into WIsconsin.
It is getting better and I think stillwater is even promoting parking up by 36 and uber into downtown.
and in the world of how many times did he not get caught? Just think if they really enforced DUI laws.
DUI is acceptable behavior in our society.
How viable of an option are Uber/Lyft in rural Pierce County Wisconsin (population density 71 per sq mile)? While drunk driving shouldn't be condoned, I do find it much less risky to society when it occurs someplace rural and un-populated than when it occurs in a heavily populated metropolitan area.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 am This doesn't necessarily have any correlation, but Neal has been a bit of a recluse since his NHL days were over. Not anything to the level of Mark Pavelich, but he wasn't a big fan of the spotlight when he hung up the skates.
he's a northern minnesota kid at his root and i'm sure that there were plenty of people who he grew up with or were older than him who drank and drove. i'd guess that to drink to the legal excess and drive was thought of as no big deal unless you got caught. that would have been a 70's type of attitude.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

I got a cabin in WI, I don't even know how you get a DUI in Sconnie, must be like a "major" sconnie city. Anything "cabin" life up there, your gold.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 am I got a cabin in WI, I don't even know how you get a DUI in Sconnie, must be like a "major" sconnie city. Anything "cabin" life up there, your gold.
I don’t think River Falls is a major city as he lives just outside of there raising horses or I should say his wife raises horses.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

boozing after the game is an integral part of the pro hockey life