Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wild pick 12th

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Jimtown guy

Wild pick 12th

Post by Jimtown guy »

Not only didn’t they move up any they dropped a spot as Philadelphia now picks 11th. Only in Minnesota
Last edited by Jimtown guy on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimtown guy

Re: Wild pick 12th

Post by Jimtown guy »

Devils pick 1 again for the second time in 3 years
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm Not only didn’t they move up any they dropped a spot as Philadelphia now picks 11th. Only in Minnesota
And knowing MN luck, there are probably 11 bonafide stars in this draft who will make an immediate impact on their teams...then the talent drops. :pissed:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

The Blackhawks moved up to 3? I guess Bettman is following Stern's plan.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 pm The Blackhawks moved up to 3? I guess Bettman is following Stern's plan.
The Blackhawks had a worse chance than the Wild did and of course they move up and the Wild move down. In the Wild's 20 year existence they have fielded about a dozen teams that were as bad as or worse than the Hawks were this season and not only have never EVER moved up considerably but have never picked as high as #3 (except when they were an expansion team and picked #3). And just to kick us one more time when we're down he moves us down a spot and Philly (Fletcher's team) into said spot. In what alternate universe do I have yet to exist in where MN sports get every break in the book which in turn cancels out any hope of catching them in this universe?
Last edited by Ron Burgundy 4 President on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 pm The Blackhawks moved up to 3? I guess Bettman is following Stern's plan.
I’m alright with that. They are my second team to the ire of everyone here
The Replacements

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 pm
The Blackhawks had a worse chance than the Wild did and of course they move up and the Wild move down. In the Wild's 20 year existence they have fielded about a dozen teams that were as bad as or worse than the Hawks were this season and not only have never moved up considerably but have never picked as high as #3 (except when they were an expansion team and picked #3). And just to kick us one more time when we're down he moves us down a spot and Philly (Fletcher's team) into said spot. In what alternate universe do I have yet to exist in where MN sports get every break in the book which in turn cancels out any hope of catching them in this universe?
The Blackhawks were ratings gold in the playoffs. If the lottery was real, the league would show what happens behind the curtains.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I like the Hawks JimmyT and I'm pretty sure you know why!
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Doesn't bother me Jimbo and I think I've always been consistent with that. Just want to make sure it's on record.

Having said all that, you do have to admit that if there were any justice in the world the Wild (or really any other team that had a chance to move up that much) deserved it more than the Blackhawks did.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm
Doesn't bother me Jimbo and I think I've always been consistent with that. Just want to make sure it's on record.

Having said all that, you do have to admit that if there were any justice in the world the Wild (or really any other team that had a chance to move up that much) deserved it more than the Blackhawks did.
Gotchya Ron. I do recall you saying that now about the Hawks. Let’s hope the Wild come through this time. Erickson-Ek has improved but the guy they skipped on is doing pretty good
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 pm
Would that be Kane ? ;)
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Chelsea Dagger!
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Would that be Kane ? ;)
Yessir!
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Would that be Kane ? ;)
Yessir!
Quietly had a 44 goal 66 assist 110 point season
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Gotchya Ron. I do recall you saying that now about the Hawks. Let’s hope the Wild come through this time. Erickson-Ek has improved but the guy they skipped on is doing pretty good
The fact that they passed on BB was just the icing on the cake. To be honest I hated that pick when it happened in and of itself more for the fact of who they actually did draft in that Ek had NEVER been a scorer at ANY level. Based on that alone they should have known that he wasn't gonna be a great or even good scorer playing against the best of the best in the NHL. He's an average (at best) role player right now and that's probably about all he'll ever be even if he does improve a bit. Basically we're looking at clone of Brandon Sutter, Marcus Kruger, or Jay Beagle. Useful NHL players, but not exactly what you are looking for in the first round of the draft.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Would that be Kane ? ;)
Yessir!
You're right...since the Hawks were lousy his season went under the radar. If the Hawks can draft a stud and then make a shrewd trade or FA signing they could be back in the hunt next year.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Would that be Kane ? ;)
Yessir!
DeBrincat's emergence had a bit to do with that but Kane is almost at the point of being a living legend if he isn't already. Guy is just so good, it's like watching a video game.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Hornets wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Yessir!
You're right...since the Hawks were lousy his season went under the radar. If the Hawks can draft a stud and then make a shrewd trade or FA signing they could be back in the hunt next year.
What they need is for Crawford to stay healthy or get a new goalie. Neither of which they've had the past 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure they did more than enough offensively to win more games than they did.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

No. 12. Minnesota Wild

Arthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton-OHL

June 26, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Michael Russo: Par for the course this miserable season, the Wild not only don’t get lucky in the draft lottery, they slip from No. 11 to No. 12, and the stinkin’ Blackhawks catapult to No. 3?!?!?! You can’t even make that up. Knowing the Wild’s luck, the player picked at No. 11 by former Wild front-office tandem Chuck Fletcher and Brent Flahr in Philly will become a Hall of Famer. But the Wild lack finishers, and Kaliyev is 6-foot-2 at 17 years old, and has fantastic goal-scoring and playmaking ability. He finished fourth in the OHL with 51 goals, second with 20 power play goals, second with 320 shots and sixth with 102 points for the Hamilton Bulldogs

Pronman’s take: In Kaliyev, Minnesota gets one of the draft’s most talented, productive and divisive players. Kaliyev topped 50 goals and 100 points this season. Those are some nice numbers. The Wild have been starved for a legit goal-scorer for years and he will provide that element in bunches. They will need to work with him to round out his game and that could take some time. But if he hits, he will be a player who creates and scores a ton in the NHL.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 pm No. 12. Minnesota Wild

Arthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton-OHL

June 26, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Michael Russo: Par for the course this miserable season, the Wild not only don’t get lucky in the draft lottery, they slip from No. 11 to No. 12, and the stinkin’ Blackhawks catapult to No. 3?!?!?! You can’t even make that up. Knowing the Wild’s luck, the player picked at No. 11 by former Wild front-office tandem Chuck Fletcher and Brent Flahr in Philly will become a Hall of Famer. But the Wild lack finishers, and Kaliyev is 6-foot-2 at 17 years old, and has fantastic goal-scoring and playmaking ability. He finished fourth in the OHL with 51 goals, second with 20 power play goals, second with 320 shots and sixth with 102 points for the Hamilton Bulldogs

Pronman’s take: In Kaliyev, Minnesota gets one of the draft’s most talented, productive and divisive players. Kaliyev topped 50 goals and 100 points this season. Those are some nice numbers. The Wild have been starved for a legit goal-scorer for years and he will provide that element in bunches. They will need to work with him to round out his game and that could take some time. But if he hits, he will be a player who creates and scores a ton in the NHL.
I'll have to look more into which players should still be available around #12, but initially and on the surface this seems like a good idea or another player with a comparable skill set. The only danger is these are the type of guys that are complete flops if it doesn't translate well into the NHL, but I'm fine with the gamble.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

I don't care if every pass he makes is 8 feet behind his target and he doesn't know what "backcheck" means, if he can finish, draft him.

I will cry if we get another 6'2 power forward.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 pm
The Blackhawks had a worse chance than the Wild did and of course they move up and the Wild move down. In the Wild's 20 year existence they have fielded about a dozen teams that were as bad as or worse than the Hawks were this season and not only have never moved up considerably but have never picked as high as #3 (except when they were an expansion team and picked #3). And just to kick us one more time when we're down he moves us down a spot and Philly (Fletcher's team) into said spot. In what alternate universe do I have yet to exist in where MN sports get every break in the book which in turn cancels out any hope of catching them in this universe?
The Blackhawks were ratings gold in the playoffs. If the lottery was real, the league would show what happens behind the curtains.
Here you go:

https://www.nhl.com/video/bettman-draws ... c-67612803

If they could fix that with team representatives in the room, I'd love to know how it was done.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I want the Wild to pick the best offensive player available when it's their turn. I DO NOT want another 180lb smooth skating defenseman, and I DO NOT want a big rugged forward who is good on face offs but is limited offensively. Know nothing about Kaliyev but he sounds ok, and I still would love to see Cole Caufield if he's available.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

There's way too much angst in here about picking 3 or 11 or 12.
I'm confident a slow defenseman from Sweden that the rest of the league rates as a 3rd rounder will be available in any of those slots.
Fenton is sly like a fox.
Ketchup can be nuancy
The Replacements

Lenny5160 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:32 am

Here you go:

If they could fix that with team representatives in the room, I'd love to know how it was done.
The weight of the balls can effect the likelihood of being picked. Rangers and Blackhawks getting picked is in the best interest of the NHL and they are in the business of making money. Minnesota doesn't have bad luck.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am

Here you go:

The weight of the balls can effect the likelihood of being picked. Rangers and Blackhawks getting picked is in the best interest of the NHL and they are in the business of making money. Minnesota doesn't have bad luck.
The '2' ball did come up in all three drawings, which seemed odd. As long as the number combinations were randomly distributed, as they were supposed to be, it would be pretty difficult to game it. One would need to look at all of the number combinations from the sheet given to team reps to see if certain numbers were disproportionately assigned to big market teams.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Lenny5160 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm
The Replacements wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am

Here you go:

The '2' ball did come up in all three drawings, which seemed odd. As long as the number combinations were randomly distributed, as they were supposed to be, it would be pretty difficult to game it. One would need to look at all of the number combinations from the sheet given to team reps to see if certain numbers were disproportionately assigned to big market teams.
I’ve never believed any of these lotteries are fixed. Word would get out if they did.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Ideally we stick to our good old-MN "plan" and grab a 5'-10'' 166 pound d-man that "works really hard" and is "a really nice guy in the community"- to clear out the net and win puck battles in the corners,
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Here are all the number sequences assigned to each team:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/N ... AM-SEQ.pdf
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm Ideally we stick to our good old-MN "plan" and grab a 5'-10'' 166 pound d-man that "works really hard" and is "a really nice guy in the community"- to clear out the net and win puck battles in the corners,
Where ya been Hole? I don't want a smallish d-man either, I want a smallish FORWARD....Cole Caufield! Whaddya think about that? Guy is a magician with the puck and has scored big at all levels!