Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wait until the young guys develop.....

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Justin Kase

Wait until the young guys develop.....

Post by Justin Kase »

Remember young Nino, Coyle, Granny, Zucker, who am I missing......

We went several years hearing that they just needed time to develop, then that became such bullshit that we heard, beyond when they should have been better. Those guys are now 26-27 yrs old, that group never became what we had hoped, and now they are either gone or on the way out.

Next young blood up: Greenway, Kunin, Erickson Eek, now Donato and Fiala. What do you think? Are we going to get more or less frustration out of this group of 22 or so year olds? How long will we be calling them the young guys that we’re waiting to develop?
full force five

Re: Wait until the young guys develop.....

Post by full force five »

They will have more cap space this summer, way more to add a center and other parts. Hopefully resign Staal as well.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Only time will tell JK
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Gotta think they are hoping the Russian can be our elite goal scorer. Those guys were all decent pieces but lacked being "the guy" and that became a bigger issue when we couldnt never find lines to show off their skills.

The biggest thing I hope for moving forward is for them to find a true center. I hoped that would be Granny but then they moved him to wing.

I fully expect Granny to take off on a team that can surround him with decent players.

Who knows. I prefer we get younger but the opening up of cap space is key. Our Prospects cupboards are bare right now though.
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Wasn't it like 3-4 years ago we had a stacked minors and were waiting for them to develop and it basically collapsed or they didn't perform well at the big show.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

You are correct. The fan base got suckered...Hook-line-and-sinker.

One thing the Wild are good at, is their media-spin about the state of the team. They have a lot of "prominent" hockey people in MN, that get air/face/media/time and they do a good job of painting a rose-colored picture. Lou Nanne to this day is still swearing by how grateful we should be to make the playoffs every year.

If you get outside your bubble of the Wild and go watch hockey around the league, you'd see how them young guys back then really stacked up. They were "average" with potential (which is basically every young guy in the league outside of the studs). The Wild media machine tho did an excellent job of selling them ALL as studs. 3 full lines of nothing but studs. Only the Wild will have such a team. They also sold Parise as a top 10- F and Suter as a No 1 D-man. All- the- while teams that ACTUALLY have/had that, were/are advancing deep in the playoffs (something the Wild aren't doing).

Hang in there. You are right, and your not wrong to be skeptical.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

We weren't the only ones buying into the "just wait till these young guys hit their prime" ploy. Back when the Wild were pursuing Zach and Ryan things were not going great for our local squad. Fletch and Co had to convince BOTH Parise and Suter that these youngins were the real deal and in a couple years this team would surely be a contender. Zach unfortunately has battled the inury bug during his stay here, but overall both he and Ryan have played well and might I remind all here that 99% of rubes were ecstatic by the move to bring the two here....ecstatic. Let's hope this new regime continues to do what's necessary to change the current culture and FINALLY bring a Cup to this Cup starved state!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I didn't buy into the hype a few years back and I don't ever recall there being a perception they were particularly well stacked in Iowa - even if the org tried to spin it. In fact, "lack of depth/development" in IA was a very common topic at other forums I've visited.

I am actually more optimistic this time around now that Fletcher is out, we're already seeing returns from Donato and there's been some actual tangible development seen of late with Kunin, Greenway and now Ek. Their remaining schedule isn't easy so it will be interesting to see how they finish the season - playoff entry or not.

Their biggest issues for me are:

1) Do they really have a bona fide #1 center?
2) They could use a few more right-handed guys (didn't we see 5 lefties on the PP the other night?)
3) Dubnyk/Stalock

Luckily they should have plenty of cap space and if they play their cards right I could see them improving next season (barring freak injuries and a bunch of regression from their D) making enough moves to push for a Top 5 playoff spot instead of barely getting in at #8.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

We need Kaprisov badly!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Is it wrong that I want them to play the young guys, not make the playoffs and get a better draft pick? I have no interest in another first round playoff exit.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

So let's be optimists and suggest that they DO indeed make the playoffs this year. As I look at the current roster it looks like we are extremely undersized overall. Playoff hockey isn't the bloodbaths of the 70's and 80's, but certainly the physical play picks up a couple notches, and other than Foligno (Brown to a degree but he's small) there doesn't appear to be a lot of physicality that we could expect and hope for. Hole Nova will back me up here...right Hole!?
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 pm We weren't the only ones buying into the "just wait till these young guys hit their prime" ploy. Back when the Wild were pursuing Zach and Ryan things were not going great for our local squad. Fletch and Co had to convince BOTH Parise and Suter that these youngins were the real deal and in a couple years this team would surely be a contender. Zach unfortunately has battled the inury bug during his stay here, but overall both he and Ryan have played well and might I remind all here that 99% of rubes were ecstatic by the move to bring the two here....ecstatic. Let's hope this new regime continues to do what's necessary to change the current culture and FINALLY bring a Cup to this Cup starved state!
I don't disagree. It was a great business move at the time. In fact the first thing I said to my dad on our father-son regularly scheduled hockey-talk phone call after the signings (Baby Zac and Bryan) was the Wild just bought themselves the playoffs for the next 5-7 seasons. And I said specifically "but that's it". I knew then these weren't big dogs. Parise was riding coat-tails of a great season and even better playoff run (took my Devils to the Finals) but I knew he couldn't' continue to carry the team on his back, he wasn't that type of player long term. That's the thing tho. You should know that. You should've been able to look at Baby Zac and know that. Same thing with Bryan. You say it's a "Cup starved State" that has "pride" in "making the playoffs". I told my dad two days ago. The Wild are better off not even making it this year. Sit this one out, get the higher pick, give Fenton more time to scout and get his trades and such lined up for the offseason. Last thing he needs is to be dragging his feet watching Cinderella at the dance tripping all over herself, like the Wild do every time the make the playoffs.
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:44 pm So let's be optimists and suggest that they DO indeed make the playoffs this year. As I look at the current roster it looks like we are extremely undersized overall. Playoff hockey isn't the bloodbaths of the 70's and 80's, but certainly the physical play picks up a couple notches, and other than Foligno (Brown to a degree but he's small) there doesn't appear to be a lot of physicality that we could expect and hope for. Hole Nova will back me up here...right Hole!?
100 percent. Your starting to get this thing!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 pm We weren't the only ones buying into the "just wait till these young guys hit their prime" ploy. Back when the Wild were pursuing Zach and Ryan things were not going great for our local squad. Fletch and Co had to convince BOTH Parise and Suter that these youngins were the real deal and in a couple years this team would surely be a contender. Zach unfortunately has battled the inury bug during his stay here, but overall both he and Ryan have played well and might I remind all here that 99% of rubes were ecstatic by the move to bring the two here....ecstatic. Let's hope this new regime continues to do what's necessary to change the current culture and FINALLY bring a Cup to this Cup starved state!
I don't disagree. It was a great business move at the time. In fact the first thing I said to my dad on our father-son regularly scheduled hockey-talk phone call after the signings (Baby Zac and Bryan) was the Wild just bought themselves the playoffs for the next 5-7 seasons. And I said specifically "but that's it". I knew then these weren't big dogs. Parise was riding coat-tails of a great season and even better playoff run (took my Devils to the Finals) but I knew he couldn't' continue to carry the team on his back, he wasn't that type of player long term. That's the thing tho. You should know that. You should've been able to look at Baby Zac and know that. Same thing with Bryan. You say it's a "Cup starved State" that has "pride" in "making the playoffs". I told my dad two days ago. The Wild are better off not even making it this year. Sit this one out, get the higher pick, give Fenton more time to scout and get his trades and such lined up for the offseason. Last thing he needs is to be dragging his feet watching Cinderella at the dance tripping all over herself, like the Wild do every time the make the playoffs.
Squad drivin me crazy as usual. 6 games ago I was convinced we were finished, we were collapsing, we were heading to a top 10 draft pick....FINALLY we could start this thing over. Well, the boys have put a tremendous 6 game stretch together and once again they are teeing the football up for us, daring us to come and kick it. Some here will forget past futility and run anxiously towards that ball, ready to kick it right through the uprights. I refuse, I'm gonna stand there and LOOK at the ball, but until more moves are made I'm not biting!
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Hornets wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 pm
Hole Nova Level wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm
Squad drivin me crazy as usual. 6 games ago I was convinced we were finished, we were collapsing, we were heading to a top 10 draft pick....FINALLY we could start this thing over. Well, the boys have put a tremendous 6 game stretch together and once again they are teeing the football up for us, daring us to come and kick it. Some here will forget past futility and run anxiously towards that ball, ready to kick it right through the uprights. I refuse, I'm gonna stand there and LOOK at the ball, but until more moves are made I'm not biting!
House money at this point. I'm glad Fenton made the moves he did and see if we can rebuild this thing on the fly. The way we're playing it should be a fun ride to the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs.

And we play better against playoff teams. If we get in I think we will at least see a competitive series. Who knows, maybe two. But it's nice not having the pressure of high expectations. It'll feel a lot like our first playoff team.

Really thought we could make a run a couple years ago BB's first year here. Sad.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z