Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Trading Deadline February 25th - Buyers/Sellers?

A place to discuss the MN Wild
bombers3shooter

Re: Trading Deadline February 25th - Buyers/Sellers?

Post by bombers3shooter »

Justin Kase wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:15 pm
bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:10 pm No way this deal wouldn't have been there in the offseason. This is clearly Fenton doing his pals in Nashville a favor and loading them up for a cup run. Granlund is going to do their Powerplay wonders!
Granny drove me nuts many times on the power play. Way too much perimeter time wasting, not really setting up actual shots. Sometimes he did look good, maybe a move from the Wild’s look but don’t shoot culture will help him.
Finally gets to run with some snipers. It's a good fit for Granny.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

full force five wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:03 pm The Wild will have major room on the cap this summer. Just dumped 5.8 million for next year. Granny is going to blow up in Nashville with that line-up and guys that can finish. On the fence with this move.
This.

Cept I'm not "on the fence". We need to purge ourselves of these types of players.

You get:
5.8 mill and
a player (whether you like Fiala or not is not the point of the trade)
Rid of a beta-male hockey player, that needs alpha players to be of impact

I'm disappointed that more Wild players weren't traded.

Nino
Coyle
Granlund

Donato
5th Rd pick
Fiala
Rask
(5.8 cap space) ex: F Simmons and D Tyler Myers (UFA's in offseason)

Fine with me.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:16 pm
bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:10 pm No way this deal wouldn't have been there in the offseason. This is clearly Fenton doing his pals in Nashville a favor and loading them up for a cup run. Granlund is going to do their Powerplay wonders!
Granny drove me nuts many times on the power play. Way too much perimeter time wasting, not really setting up actual shots. Sometimes he did look good, maybe a move from the Wild’s look but don’t shoot culture will help him.
Finally gets to run with some snipers. It's a good fit for Granny.
He should thrive with the Preds. I have no problem with this trade. Granny would of probably walked this off season. They get a young guy in Fiala and dump salary.
Hole Nova Level

True, the Wild PP fell off when they lost the mad-bomber, Dumba. Their PP was centered around him blasting off one-timers. After that, they have zero creativity and set plays.

Go watch the PP goal by WAS last night, Carlson runs a pick-play skating down from the slot leaves a open one-timer in the house. Was a basketball like- "set" play (which I love is being evolved in the NHL right now). Granny was the least of it, but he was also not any sort of remedy.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hendricks back to Winnipeg for a 7th rounder
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

65DB9A5A-3462-4BBA-A4DA-532FB254C35D.jpeg
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm He should thrive with the Preds. I have no problem with this trade. Granny would of probably walked this off season. They get a young guy in Fiala and dump salary.
For a guy who posts as a knower of hockey, you say some odd stuff. Granny is/was locked up through next season. Therefore, he was not walking this offseason.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Fiala is decent.
Nashville making a push/run mustve wanted granny as a playmaker vs goal scorer. Youd think they couldve got a mid round pick with it. Get the money dump.

Glad Stall stayed. Extend him another year.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm He should thrive with the Preds. I have no problem with this trade. Granny would of probably walked this off season. They get a young guy in Fiala and dump salary.
For a guy who posts as a knower of hockey, you say some odd stuff. Granny is/was locked up through next season. Therefore, he was not walking this offseason.
That’s not what I’ve been seeing. If he truly is locked up for next season my apologies
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:58 pm
That’s not what I’ve been seeing. If he truly is locked up for next season my apologies
He would have been getting MUCH more steam as a rental coming into trade season if that were the case.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

mglviks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm Fiala is decent.
Nashville making a push/run mustve wanted granny as a playmaker vs goal scorer. Youd think they couldve got a mid round pick with it. Get the money dump.

Why? Counterproductive if you are trying to get these young guys top 6 time and on the pp. Trying to get younger, but the good ole boys Parise, Koivu, Staal, Suter taking all the prime ice time. Can't go half ass if you really want to blow it up. Suter and Parise are going to be here no matter what, probably Zucker too. A guy like Donato isnt in Boston anymore because he is worthless on a shutdown 3rd or 4th line, probably Fiala too. Got to get those guys minutes now going forward.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

No big deal but his contract takes him through next season.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm

He would have been getting MUCH more steam as a rental coming into trade season if that were the case.
Still think it’s Fentons plan to dump salary for future free agents. Fiala making around 900,000 currently and Granny 5.75 mil. This off season will be interesting for Fenton.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Yeah I see that now. I went with what another poster said over on hfboards. I should know better
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Jimtown guy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:04 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm
Yeah I see that now. I went with what another poster said over on hfboards. I should know better
A friend texted something similar about 20 mins ago. Must be some misinformation out there that’s making the rounds.
snore

Post by snore »

I think Russo said this morning that moving Granny this year was better than next year as you would get something better for a guy with a year left vs a 2 month rental next year. Also they weren’t gonna resign Granny at the rate he would’ve expected ($7-8M per year) so he likley wasn’t coming back regardless.

🤔
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:01 pm
mglviks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm Fiala is decent.

Why? Counterproductive if you are trying to get these young guys top 6 time and on the pp. Trying to get younger, but the good ole boys Parise, Koivu, Staal, Suter taking all the prime ice time. Can't go half ass if you really want to blow it up. Suter and Parise are going to be here no matter what, probably Zucker too. A guy like Donato isnt in Boston anymore because he is worthless on a shutdown 3rd or 4th line, probably Fiala too. Got to get those guys minutes now going forward.
Got a point. But next year we will want to make the playoffs too. Since we didnt blow it all up. Stall can still be a guy we rather have than not for a playoff run next year too.

Fiala and Donato gives us a little more scoring punch, both 22. And way cheaper. Liking the moves more and more.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Staal extended for 2 years, at basically the same cap hit he has now. $3.25MM AAV. I'm...fine with it.
Rollie

Post by Rollie »

Thought for sure Staal was gonna be gone.
Kinda bummed Granlund is gone.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm Staal extended for 2 years, at basically the same cap hit he has now. $3.25MM AAV. I'm...fine with it.
Dont get the people freaking out on the twitter machine. He can offer a steady hand at center. Still think they need a #1 guy. Not sure how they split the minutes between Donato/Koivu/Staal next year but hope to see continued growth.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Not an exciting trade like the rest of the moves but Grandlund is what he is and that's what the team doesn't need right now. He doesn't make the team better, him being gone probably won't make it worse.

I can see Fiala being a 30/35 guy. He doesn't hit 23 until summer. Him an Denato are like the Nino trade all over again. Lots of promise but not living up to it and might need a change in scenery. Gambles to clear up cap space I guess.

I'm just kinda baffled how we make 3 trades for 3 established vets and can't even get one draft pick back. I'm not expecting 1st rounders or anything but 3rd-5th would have been fine to hopefully hit on a player in the middle rounds like we seemingly did with Kaprizov (who, btw has 30/21 in 57 games in the KHL....a pretty solid league.)
Last edited by DC4MVP on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm Staal extended for 2 years, at basically the same cap hit he has now. $3.25MM AAV. I'm...fine with it.
It needed to be done. Before it happened, Koivu was the only pure, natural center on the roster that we knew was going to be on the team next season (and he may not begin the season on time). Two of the main others that could play it were traded within the last few days. Sill leaves them with a few guys that can slot in (Danato, Kunin) but none of whom have played it much recently.

For whatever it's worth and confirming my own opinion, Russo just said the Wild should have commanded more for Granlund. Didn't seem to understand (nor do I) the diamond hard wood Fenton has for Fiala other than he's loved him since he drafted him.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

DC4MVP wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm Not an exciting trade like the rest of the moves but Grandlund is what he is and that's what the team doesn't need right now. He doesn't make the team better, him being gone probably won't make it worse.

I can see Fiala being a 30/35 guy. He doesn't hit 23 until summer. Him an Denato are like the Nino trade all over again. Lots of promise but not living up to it and might need a change in scenery. Gambles to clear up cap space I guess.

I'm just kinda baffled how we make 3 trades for 3 established vets and can't even get one draft pick back. I'm not expecting 1st rounders or anything but 3rd-5th would have been fine to hopefully hit on a player in the middle rounds like we seemingly did with Kaprizov (who, btw has 30/21 in 57 games in the KHL....a pretty solid league.)
He could have he just preferred to get young players ready to play right away than rolling the dice on a draft pick they won't see for 4 years anyways. As much as I don't like this Granlund trade, I do like that we got a guy that we already know is a serviceable NHL player at the very least.

For the record we did get a 5th rounder for Coyle.

Also, I think people understand why we traded Granlund. The gripe is with what we got in return.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:11 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm Not an exciting trade like the rest of the moves but Grandlund is what he is and that's what the team doesn't need right now. He doesn't make the team better, him being gone probably won't make it worse.

He could have he just preferred to get young players ready to play right away than rolling the dice on a draft pick they won't see for 4 years anyways. As much as I don't like this Granlund trade, I do like that we got a guy that we already know is a serviceable NHL player at the very least.

For the record we did get a 5th rounder for Coyle.

Also, I think people understand why we traded Granlund. The gripe is with what we got in return.
I'm not saying we should have just gone for picks for the players but rather I want to draft picks back along with the likes of Rask/Donato/Fiala.

The picks added to these trades (especially Nino/Rask....Granlund/Fiala) could have given me more confidence in what Fenton is trying to do but it just seems like salary dump where he's fine "losing" the trade to free up cap space.

He's made 3 major trades so far and we've come away with the worst player in 100% of the trades. All we have to show for it is a 5th. And it hurts even more that even trading Coyle/Nino/Granlund doesn't make us bad enough to tank for high draft picks. I could understand what he's doing if he's trying to turn the team into a 25 win team to rebuild with high draft picks but that's not even happening. It's just....I don't know what the hell he's trying to do long term.

Not impressed with our new GM.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Who's the top center available in free agency this summer?
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm Who's the top center available in free agency this summer?
After Googling it, all I could come back with is "Some guy the Wild won't sign."

(Matt Duchene is the serious answer as I don't think he extended with CBJ yet)
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Sounds like Zucker was an inch away from heading to Calgary.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Ron Burgundy 4 President

The Replacements wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:30 pm Who's the top center available in free agency this summer?
I'm probably missing someone, but Matt Duchene is the only top guy I think?. After that, a guy like Kevin Hayes comes to mind.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:44 pm Sounds like Zucker was an inch away from heading to Calgary.
For what? What kept it from happening?
Hole Nova Level

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:44 pm Sounds like Zucker was an inch away from heading to Calgary.
Son of a bitch!!!!

Carly prolly called and scolded Fenton and told him about all the “charity” they do here and how “important” it is to the franchise, nevermind his hockey play...

Good news is. He can be traded in the offseason And there is a good chance he-she will be.