Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Nino's gone

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Re: Nino's gone

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Nino with another goal for Carolina tonight. I wonder how many games it will take Rask to get five goals?
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm Nino with another goal for Carolina tonight. I wonder how many games it will take Rask to get five goals?
Nino was not scoring here. Whatever he does in Carolina is irrelevant. Let it go.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm Nino with another goal for Carolina tonight. I wonder how many games it will take Rask to get five goals?
Nino was not scoring here. Whatever he does in Carolina is irrelevant. Let it go.
I won't dispute the fact that Nino is a watered down version of his old self for whatever reason, but he was still on pace for 17-18 goals playing mostly 4th line minutes even before the trade. Rask can't duplicate even those modest numbers and he's slower than Nino on a team that already has speed issues. I'll say it again, I don't have a problem trading him but he's at worst an average yet legitimate NHL player while Rask is about 1.5 years away from taking his career to the KHL. It's an honest disagreement we are having and I get what you are saying, but for whatever it's worth I must not be completely insane because I think Russo would side with me given this.....

Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm
I won't dispute the fact that Nino is a watered down version of his old self for whatever reason, but he was still on pace for 17-18 goals playing mostly 4th line minutes even before the trade. Rask can't duplicate even those modest numbers and he's slower than Nino on a team that already has speed issues. I'll say it again, I don't have a problem trading him but he's at worst an average yet legitimate NHL player while Rask is about 1.5 years away from taking his career to the KHL. It's an honest disagreement we are having and I get what you are saying, but for whatever it's worth I must not be completely insane because I think Russo would side with me given this.....

I don't have a huge problem with thinking that Rask sucks, although personally I'm giving it more time to play out. It's the constant comparisons to Nino's sudden rejuvenation that drives me crazy, and you are far from alone in doing that. Nino had more than enough time to show that in green.

The entire fan base and two different GMs wanted to move Nino and Coyle. There was no market at all, but Fenton finally took what was being offered for the sake of making some sort of change on the big club.

Nino gets a new lease on life and starts finding the net (with no assists) and suddenly this trade has turned into a complete disaster. I just don't see it. There's no doubt we got a worse player back, but saved some money and filled a weaker position on the roster. Lost a bottom 6 guy and got a bottom 6 guy. Don't love Rask on the PP. Whatever.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm

I don't have a huge problem with thinking that Rask sucks, although personally I'm giving it more time to play out. It's the constant comparisons to Nino's sudden rejuvenation that drives me crazy, and you are far from alone in doing that. Nino had more than enough time to show that in green.

The entire fan base and two different GMs wanted to move Nino and Coyle. There was no market at all, but Fenton finally took what was being offered for the sake of making some sort of change on the big club.

Nino gets a new lease on life and starts finding the net (with no assists) and suddenly this trade has turned into a complete disaster. I just don't see it. There's no doubt we got a worse player back, but saved some money and filled a weaker position on the roster. Lost a bottom 6 guy and got a bottom 6 guy. Don't love Rask on the PP. Whatever.
I can't speak for everyone who thinks we got the worse end of this trade, but as for myself this isn't some hindsight 20/20 option a few weeks after the trade. It was a bad trade and I said as much the day that it happened. I think you'll find I've been pretty consistent with that opinion if you check my earlier posts.

Regardless and in all seriousness, I'm glad we are having this discussion, it's always good to get the options of other fans who know their shit.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with another two goals tonight. I said this was a shit trade before Nino even put on a Carolina uniform and I obviously stand by my statement. Rask couldn't even get promoted from the 4th line after Koivu's season was ended due to injury. He is abysmal.
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

If Nino only had 2-3 goals with Carolina at this point we wouldn't be having this discussion. Trades needed to be made with this underachieving bunch and Nino just happened to be the first to go. I knew nothing about Rask but it certainly seems at this point that the trade has been lopsided, but perhaps we'll gain some benefit from it eventually. Nino's hot streak plus our post all star game meltdown is making this a real buzzkill....my guess is we'll see at least 2 transactions before the trade deadline....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Ron Burgundy 4 President

No goal tonight, but Nino with another assist in a Hurricane victory. 13 points in 13 games. Good thing we didn't give him away for a plywood goalie cutout! Oh wait.....
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with another two point game (1 goal and 1 assist) tonight.
full force five

Post by full force five »

How was he doing here? That's all I want to know.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

full force five wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 am How was he doing here? That's all I want to know.
If you want to tell me that Nino is streaky and was more bad than good the last two seasons I won’t argue with you.

With that said, here is what I want to know. Would you rather have a streaky player that sucks some of the time or one that sucks all of the time (Rask)?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Not going to 2nd guess Fenton on the moves he's made and the one's he will make soon or after the season. The players themselves put Fenton in the position he is in by underachieving and the team was heading nowhere. Let's be fair here and give the trades a couple years to play out and THEN decide if they were good or bad.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Hornets wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 pm Not going to 2nd guess Fenton on the moves he's made and the one's he will make soon or after the season. The players themselves put Fenton in the position he is in by underachieving and the team was heading nowhere. Let's be fair here and give the trades a couple years to play out and THEN decide if they were good or bad.
Yup. Fenton inherited a terrible situation.

A hockey roster full of near-female (many of the players are possibly in transition) players, that have ZERO drive to win anything more than a regular season game, is hard to trade and get much in return for.

The rest of the league's GM's know that the Wild have bit-players, that can help their bottom two lines and 4-6 D-men and that's not going to fetch you much.

Most Wild fan's tho think all Wild Players should fetch a 1st round pick and/or perennial all star in return for trade.

Fenton could trade every single one of these passive aggressive hockey players for nothing but picks and minor league players and I'd be as happy as f-ckin Jason (Carly) Zucker at a baby shower! (Jason is the kind of guy that loves baby showers, for sure)
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 pm Not going to 2nd guess Fenton on the moves he's made and the one's he will make soon or after the season. The players themselves put Fenton in the position he is in by underachieving and the team was heading nowhere. Let's be fair here and give the trades a couple years to play out and THEN decide if they were good or bad.

A hockey roster full of near-female (many of the players are possibly in transition) players, that have ZERO drive to win anything more than a regular season game, is hard to trade and get much in return for.

The rest of the league's GM's know that the Wild have bit-players, that can help their bottom two lines and 4-6 D-men and that's not going to fetch you much.

Most Wild fan's tho think all Wild Players should fetch a 1st round pick and/or perennial all star in return for trade.

Fenton could trade every single one of these passive aggressive hockey players for nothing but picks and minor league players and I'd be as happy as f-ckin Jason (Carly) Zucker at a baby shower! (Jason is the kind of guy that loves baby showers, for sure)
You're on FIRE tonight! :lol:
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Hornets wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 pm

You're on FIRE tonight! :lol:
Go look at my Zucker bets in the Zucker thread. Le'ts gooooooo!
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Don't know which Wild fans you talk to, but most of the ones that I talk to, including the ones here aren't under any illusions regarding their perceived value of players on this roster. Sure, I hated the Nino trade and won't shutup about it, but that has more to do with the fact that Rask is an absolute dogshit player (I wouldn't be surprised if he's a buyout candidate already) and I said as much the day the trade happened. The fact that Nino is putting an exclamation point on how awful it was shouldn't go unnoticed or ignored.

I've liked all his other moves including the Coyle one, the return we got for him was fair and if nothing else I thought the Bruins overpaid for him slightly. Sure, you could point to some 14 year old fool on twitter that thought Coyle was more valuable, but you'd find that in every trade of every fanbase. Again, most Wild fans I talk to didn't think we could do much better for Coyle.

As far as the rest of you post is concerned I pretty much agree with it. We all know the team is soft and full of passive players and that is likely the primary culprit as to why this team constantly fizzles out early and often in the postseason. You won't get an argument from me or anyone else in here as far as that is concerned.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I'll go on record and say I was disappointed that the draft pick Coyle got back was just a 5th rounder, but I might be underselling the Donato kid. I was not however, under the delusion that a first rounder could have been had in place of the 5th rounder. Was thinking more like a 3rd rounder.

Also, NHL trades are hard to figure out for me. Maybe its just the past of Fletcher leading me to think that way, but he did things like give up a first round pick for Martin "Fucking" Hanzal as well as a 4th rounder. And then of course trading a first, a 2nd, and two highly rated prospects (who havent turned out great) in Larsson and Hackett for Jason Pominville.
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00 pm I'll go on record and say I was disappointed that the draft pick Coyle got back was just a 5th rounder, but I might be underselling the Donato kid. I was not however, under the delusion that a first rounder could have been had in place of the 5th rounder. Was thinking more like a 3rd rounder.

Also, NHL trades are hard to figure out for me. Maybe its just the past of Fletcher leading me to think that way, but he did things like give up a first round pick for Martin "Fucking" Hanzal as well as a 4th rounder. And then of course trading a first, a 2nd, and two highly rated prospects (who havent turned out great) in Larsson and Hackett.
Yikes....I had forgotten the Hanzal disaster. Has to be top 5 of Wild's all time worst trades.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm.
I agree bubu!! :lol:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm.
I agree bubu!! :lol:
:thumbsup:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00 pm I'll go on record and say I was disappointed that the draft pick Coyle got back was just a 5th rounder, but I might be underselling the Donato kid. I was not however, under the delusion that a first rounder could have been had in place of the 5th rounder. Was thinking more like a 3rd rounder.

Also, NHL trades are hard to figure out for me. Maybe its just the past of Fletcher leading me to think that way, but he did things like give up a first round pick for Martin "Fucking" Hanzal as well as a 4th rounder. And then of course trading a first, a 2nd, and two highly rated prospects (who havent turned out great) in Larsson and Hackett.
Yikes....I had forgotten the Hanzal disaster. Has to be top 5 of Wild's all time worst trades.
Top 3 at least in my book. Man he sucked
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with two more points last night. Still about a point per game. I wonder how long it will take Fenton's ass to stop hurting after getting done dry on this one?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with a primary assist on the GWG in OT tonight.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with another assist tonight. That's 19 points in 20 games.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with two more goals tonight. I watched part of the game and even aside from the goals, he was probably his team's best player. 20 points in 21 games.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with an assist on the game tying goal with the goalie pulled and his team took the two points in a shootout. In addition, he broke up a would be breakaway in the closing seconds of the first period. Meanwhile, Rask should be bought out after the season and watch the rest of them from the pressbox. What a dogshit excuse for an NHL player. Wish someone could have seen that coming. Oh wait......
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Nino with another goal last night. It'll be interesting to see how he does tomorrow against his old club.