Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Nino's gone

A place to discuss the MN Wild
LwnmwrMan222

Nino's gone

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Traded to Carolina for Victor Rask.
My body, my choice.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Nino's gone

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
eauclairered

Post by eauclairered »

Heartbreak. Nino was my favorite Wild player. . . Now I have to find a new one. But he hasn't performed and needed to be gone. Just how it works.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Same length of contract but save 1.3 million each year. Both guys are under achieving this year, Rask is still young, only 25.

Meh. Only upside is the cap savings. Now trade, Staal, Coyle and Grandlund.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

After being unwilling or unable to make a trade for an NHL player in his first eight months on the job, Wild general manager Paul Fenton has now made two moves in as many days, the latest the type of blockbuster that fans had been expecting.

After acquiring forward Pontus Aberg on Thursday, Fenton sent winger Nino Niederreiter to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for center Victor Rask.

Once a core piece of the Wild’s future, Niederreiter received a 5-year, $26.25-million contract before the 2017-18 season after three consecutive years of 20 goals or more, peaking with a 25-goal, 52-point performance in 2016-17.
Justin Kase

Post by Justin Kase »

El Niño El gone-o!

Needed some changes, hope a new spot will help Rask.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

This is the beginning.....needed to happen, sorry to see Nino go, excited to see what Fenton can do!

LET'S GO WILD!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Although it’s not the worst trade i’ve ever seen I am not a fan of it. At first I thought this was done to save some cap room and although it does the money saved is minimal. Rask is Nino as far as underachieving is concerned only he’s worse. He’s scored one goal and notched five assists in 26 games this season. That’s Ek type production. He’s only a year younger than Nino is as well so this doesn’t really make the team any younger. In other words, it is not the first domino to fall in the “rebuild”. It does nothing as far as that is concerned. Moreover, the trade doesn’t even make them better in the short term.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm Although it’s not the worst trade i’ve ever seen I am not a fan of it. At first I thought this was done to save some cap room and although it does the money saved is minimal. Rask is Nino as far as underachieving is concerned only he’s worse. He’s scored one goal and notched five assists in 26 games this season. That’s Ek type production. He’s only a year younger than Nino is as well so this doesn’t really make the team any younger nor is it this first domino to fall in the “rebuild”. It does nothing as far as that is concerned. Moreover, the trade doesn’t even make them better in the short term.
Yep - really a nothing trade - you got the same thing, an underachiever, except he has to still mesh in with the team and you have to now takes some steps back before you can move forward. I guess this type of move is an admission that they dont have what it takes this season for sure.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Will always have a special place in my heart for Nino because of this...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:54 pm Will always have a special place in my heart for Nino because of this...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Same. As thrilling as it was, it says something about the sad state of affairs that is the Wild (and MN sports in general) when the best point in the franchise since 2003 was a round one playoff series win, but it is what it is. It's' too bad that collection of players just never really got any better.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Liked him, but this core needs to be cracked.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

On his flight to meet his new team Nino checks the Wild score of tonight's tilt.......
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Would love for this team to go full rebuild and break the whole core...but they have Super and Parise til 2026. What a mess.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Okay, now please trade Coyle and Stall. BYeeeeeeeeeeee
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

minnemike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm Although it’s not the worst trade i’ve ever seen I am not a fan of it. At first I thought this was done to save some cap room and although it does the money saved is minimal. Rask is Nino as far as underachieving is concerned only he’s worse. He’s scored one goal and notched five assists in 26 games this season. That’s Ek type production. He’s only a year younger than Nino is as well so this doesn’t really make the team any younger nor is it this first domino to fall in the “rebuild”. It does nothing as far as that is concerned. Moreover, the trade doesn’t even make them better in the short term.
Yep - really a nothing trade - you got the same thing, an underachiever, except he has to still mesh in with the team and you have to now takes some steps back before you can move forward. I guess this type of move is an admission that they dont have what it takes this season for sure.
We can hope that the change of scenery does something for Rask; otherwise we clearly lost this trade on production and especially on the 'fancy stats'. At the very least I think a $4MM center will be an easier contract to move than a $5.25MM winger if/when needed. Everyone knows that Nino wasn't working anymore here. Seemed like a great guy and hate that it had to happen this way, but it just did.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Ron Burgundy 4 President

In this second game with his new team Nino scored two goals.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Havent watched the wild much since the trade.

Sounds like Rask is a weeeee bit slow... outside of that, what have people thought?

Sounds like we were going for any centerman who was cheaper than Nino. I dont mind the move because Nino was super inconsistent, but still interesting seeing we seemed to get an inconsistent player in return.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:01 am In this second game with his new team Nino scored two goals.
We all knew that would happen!
Ron Burgundy 4 President

D_B_U wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:10 pm Havent watched the wild much since the trade.

Sounds like Rask is a weeeee bit slow... outside of that, what have people thought?

Sounds like we were going for any centerman who was cheaper than Nino. I dont mind the move because Nino was super inconsistent, but still interesting seeing we seemed to get an inconsistent player in return.
I'm just going to put it bluntly, Rask sucks. He's slow, shoots left-handed, and can't find the back of the net. The Wild has no shortage of forwards that check the boxes next to each of those attributes.

In his 5th season he couldn't even earn 3rd line minutes on a roster that offensively is absolutely punchless. Sure, you can make the argument that Nino is probably not worth the 5.25 million bucks they are paying him, but do you know who definitely isn't worthy of the 4 million bucks the Wild are now paying him? Rask. And I don't want to hear that is was some sort of shrewd cost cutting maneuver either. The variance of 1 million bucks is negligible at best.

Oh, and just in case Nova doesn't stop by to point it out, he's also soft.
Last edited by Ron Burgundy 4 President on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:14 pm
D_B_U wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:10 pm Havent watched the wild much since the trade.

I'm just going to put it bluntly, Rask sucks. He's slow, shoots left-handed, and can't find the back of the net. The Wild has no shortage of forwards that check the boxes next to each of those attributes.

In his 5th season he couldn't even earn 3rd line minutes on a roster that offensively is absolutely punchless. Sure, you can make the argument that Nino is probably not with the 5.25 million bucks they are paying him, but do you know who definitely isn't worthy of the 4 million bucks the Wild are now paying him? Rask. And I don't want to hear that is was some sort of shrewd cost cutting maneuver either. The variance of 1 million bucks is negligible at best.

Oh, and just in case Nova doesn't stop by to point it out, he's also soft.
Don't know a thing about Rask other than what I've read or heard about him since the trade, but you appear to be right Ron....he's probably not going to lead us to the Cup! Surprised as well that Hole Nova hasn't spouted out his wisdom lately. Hmmm
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Points percentage with Rask in the lineup: 100%
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Well, no time is being wasted on this trade going south for the Wild.

Nino with at least two more goals tonight (he's clanked two off posts as well) bringing his grand total with is new team to five in just three games.
full force five

Nino runs hot and cold. Remember how he was after coming over from the Islanders? HOT. He sucks defensively, lazy and at 5.5 million I'm glad he is gone. It seems like we got a bag of pucks and another lazy forward for him but the Wild are winning. Who knows.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders. Let’s see how long it lasts before we come to conclusions
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I hope Nino does well...always liked him, but regardless how these last 30+ games pan out I still feel now is the time for major changes, and Nino just happened to be the 1st big name to go. If he turns into a consistent 30 goal scorer the next half dozen years or so perhaps I'll look poorly on this trade, but the time has come for change.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 pm Well, no time is being wasted on this trade going south for the Wild.

Nino with at least two more goals tonight (he's clanked two off posts as well) bringing his grand total with is new team to five in just three games.
It's 'only' four goals in four games, but I still don't see how this means it has gone south for the Wild. They haven't lost with Rask in the lineup. NOT that I'm really giving Rask credit for that, but Nino's production in Carolina means nothing to the Wild and it isn't like we were letting go of a 'goal per game' player.

We let go of one bottom 6 forward and got another bottom 6 forward in return.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:57 am
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 pm Well, no time is being wasted on this trade going south for the Wild.

It's 'only' four goals in four games, but I still don't see how this means it has gone south for the Wild. They haven't lost with Rask in the lineup. NOT that I'm really giving Rask credit for that, but Nino's production in Carolina means nothing to the Wild and it isn't like we were letting go of a 'goal per game' player.

The Vancouver broadcasters misinformed me, but the point remains. Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the illusion that Nino is some elite top six forward. The problem with Rask is he is the same defensive liability that Nino is, and is as slow or slower. Moreover, for all of his limitations Nino is still at the very least a marginal threat when he's in the other team's zone something that Rask is not. I get we are talking about two underachieving players that are overpaid, but in a straight up trade Carolina got the better player.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:57 am

The Vancouver broadcasters misinformed me, but the point remains. Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the illusion that Nino is some elite top six forward. The problem with Rask is he is the same defensive liability that Nino is, and is as slow or slower. Moreover, for all of his limitations Nino is still at the very least a marginal threat when he's in the other team's zone something that Rask is not. I get we are talking about two underachieving players that are overpaid, but in a straight up trade Carolina got the better player.
Wild also saved a few bucks. All part of Fenton’s plan :thinking:
full force five

They are in salary cap hell, saving 1.3 per year helps. The contracts of Suter and Zack are going to kill this team for the next 5 years.