Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bob Probert

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Jimtown guy

Bob Probert

Post by Jimtown guy »

I highly recommend the documentary on Probert. The guy cheated death on more than one occasion and was given many many chances to straighten his life out. Not only could he throw em down with the best of them but he was a pretty good player to boot.
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news ... ob-probert
NonprovincialMNFan

Re: Bob Probert

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

Probert was a lost soul who should be held accountable for his actions and goonery....not honored.
We should pity him and those who hold him in high regard.
We should have helped him become a better person while not viewing him solely through a outdated hockey set of rose colored glasses.

.....I would expect nothing different from a person willing to accept a gift of a hockey arena from a Nazi sympathizer named Engelstad.

If we are guessing....trump supporter and Nazi gift acceptor, Correct?

Now go ahead and deny that you don't fall into both categories?
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Probert was more than held to his actions and goonery or at least people tried. He was the baddest MOFO to every play hockey, 6'3" 230 of F-off. Oh he also was a really good hockey player . . . 1987–88 was one of the best 29 goals 33 assists and 398 PIMS!

Better stick to soccer.
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Probert wasn't a "victim" by any means but he was definitely a product of his time. Aside from the "hockey" aspect (he was a decent player outside of the ice-ring) the role he played required a mentality not many of us could withstand, let alone Probert and his ilk. Even the toughest had to turn to booze and other drugs to sustain the life they had to lead. The Probert story is really a commentary of a lot of players in his role at the time and even after.

Even if your not a fighter. To this day I say no other sport requires the mental toughness of hockey. Even in the offensive era, the sport itself requires "consequence" like no other.

In football, baseball, basketball, soccer you get punched, throw a punch, scuffle etc. you get ejected/suspended.

In hockey that's called a regular shift and if your lucky you get the penalty box for 2 mins, 5 if you went blow to blow.

For example a cheap asshole like Ndamakong Sue or Vontaze Burfict, would eventually meet the mits of Big Buff, or Zdeno Chara. A Diva like Antonio Brown, would get rolled hard in practice by his own teammates and everyone would stand back and let it happen so things could be sorted out.

Only in hockey.

RIP Probert and any "goon" for that matter.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Really miss the NHL of the 70's and 80's.... :cry:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 am Probert wasn't a "victim" by any means but he was definitely a product of his time. Aside from the "hockey" aspect (he was a decent player outside of the ice-ring) the role he played required a mentality not many of us could withstand, let alone Probert and his ilk. Even the toughest had to turn to booze and other drugs to sustain the life they had to lead. The Probert story is really a commentary of a lot of players in his role at the time and even after.

Even if your not a fighter. To this day I say no other sport requires the mental toughness of hockey. Even in the offensive era, the sport itself requires "consequence" like no other.

In football, baseball, basketball, soccer you get punched, throw a punch, scuffle etc. you get ejected/suspended.

In hockey that's called a regular shift and if your lucky you get the penalty box for 2 mins, 5 if you went blow to blow.

For example a cheap asshole like Ndamakong Sue or Vontaze Burfict, would eventually meet the mits of Big Buff, or Zdeno Chara. A Diva like Antonio Brown, would get rolled hard in practice by his own teammates and everyone would stand back and let it happen so things could be sorted out.

Only in hockey.

RIP Probert and any "goon" for that matter.
Well said Hole. Definitely a different era back then. Those guys knew their role and did it well. The thing with Pribert though is unlike most goons he was actually a pretty decent player. Had 163 career goals. Not bad for probably the baddest man on ice in his time
full force five

Post by full force five »

Look at how many tough guys died because of drugs, and/or are in a deep mental health abyss because of their role in hockey: Boogaard, Matt Johnson, Wade Belak, Probert, Rick Rypien, Stephen Peat, Todd Ewing, John Kordic, Donald Brashear, etc. I can't imagine the mental and physical toll knowing you're going to have to fight bare knuckles with some of the toughest MOFO's in the world.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

I somehow ended up with Dave "The Hammer" Schultz's book when I was a kid. I read that thing over and over.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Confessio ... hultz+book

He hated being a goon, and just wanted to be a hockey player. His hockey talent was maybe just a little bit short so he did what he had to do to stick around. That's probably the case with most of those guys.

"The Last Gladiators" is on Amazon Prime Video, mostly about Chris "Knuckles" Nilan but touches on some other guys. Also a great look at what "goons" go through.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:26 am I highly recommend the documentary on Probert. The guy cheated death on more than one occasion and was given many many chances to straighten his life out. Not only could he throw em down with the best of them but he was a pretty good player to boot.
will check out-thanks for posting this.
Hole Nova Level

full force five wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am Look at how many tough guys died because of drugs, and/or are in a deep mental health abyss because of their role in hockey: Boogaard, Matt Johnson, Wade Belak, Probert, Rick Rypien, Stephen Peat, Todd Ewing, John Kordic, Donald Brashear, etc. I can't imagine the mental and physical toll knowing you're going to have to fight bare knuckles with some of the toughest MOFO's in the world.
This.

All in all, I'm glad with the "goon" role being out of hockey. The time of the goon was "you're the biggest guy on the team, soooo..." sorta thing. Back then the big/strong guy was pigeon holed. The "power forward" wasn't a thing. It was tiered out the skill guys-then everyone else-then the goons .

In the 90's you had Lindros revolutionize a lot of things, the PF was born, Tkachuck, Shanahan, Owen Nolan, Trevor Linden, Big guys that had some top level skills and could fight like a dog, put up pts, captain a team, etc. You had The Legion of Doom (big guys-high skill), The Crash Line (big tough guys, low skill but a great 4th line that could play too). Honestly, Probert if he was even just born 10 years later may have lived a different NHL life.

The 2000's had such a transition. The crème- de- la- crème-Lindros couldn't stay on the ice because of concussions, the NFL concussion thing started ramping up, Paul Kariya (top skill- star of his era) was bitter at the league and wouldn't endorse or ambassador it. Scott Stevens retires (one man wrecking crew-concussion causer)....The 02 Ducks (off the top of my head) beat their way to the Cup (ask the Wild), the league hated that. USA hockey and hockey Canada removes checking from pewee level.

All in all the Probert story is a good reminder of what really was the "dark ages" for the NHL and a place they'll never go again. I love the balance they had in the late 90's and 2000's to now. I do miss the big open ice hitting D-men (ala Scott Stevens) but oh well. Fighting is still a part of the game it's being policed on a broader team level vs. falling on one or two guys.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm
full force five wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am Look at how many tough guys died because of drugs, and/or are in a deep mental health abyss because of their role in hockey: Boogaard, Matt Johnson, Wade Belak, Probert, Rick Rypien, Stephen Peat, Todd Ewing, John Kordic, Donald Brashear, etc. I can't imagine the mental and physical toll knowing you're going to have to fight bare knuckles with some of the toughest MOFO's in the world.
This.

All in all, I'm glad with the "goon" role being out of hockey. The time of the goon was "you're the biggest guy on the team, soooo..." sorta thing. Back then the big/strong guy was pigeon holed. The "power forward" wasn't a thing. It was tiered out the skill guys-then everyone else-then the goons .

In the 90's you had Lindros revolutionize a lot of things, the PF was born, Tkachuck, Shanahan, Owen Nolan, Trevor Linden, Big guys that had some top level skills and could fight like a dog, put up pts, captain a team, etc. You had The Legion of Doom (big guys-high skill), The Crash Line (big tough guys, low skill but a great 4th line that could play too). Honestly, Probert if he was even just born 10 years later may have lived a different NHL life.

The 2000's had such a transition. The crème- de- la- crème-Lindros couldn't stay on the ice because of concussions, the NFL concussion thing started ramping up, Paul Kariya (top skill- star of his era) was bitter at the league and wouldn't endorse or ambassador it. Scott Stevens retires (one man wrecking crew-concussion causer)....The 02 Ducks (off the top of my head) beat their way to the Cup (ask the Wild), the league hated that. USA hockey and hockey Canada removes checking from pewee level.

All in all the Probert story is a good reminder of what really was the "dark ages" for the NHL and a place they'll never go again. I love the balance they had in the late 90's and 2000's to now. I do miss the big open ice hitting D-men (ala Scott Stevens) but oh well. Fighting is still a part of the game it's being policed on a broader team level vs. falling on one or two guys.
Now teams don't allow big open ice hits without there being retribution....just ask Matt Dumba. :pissed:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hole Nova Level

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm
This.

Now teams don't allow big open ice hits without there being retribution....just ask Matt Dumba. :pissed:
Big hits in general are like that now. I don't like that aspect tho. That's one thing I agree with Nanne about. A big clean hit, is a hit...don't stop play to jump a player for it.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:26 am I highly recommend the documentary on Probert. The guy cheated death on more than one occasion and was given many many chances to straighten his life out. Not only could he throw em down with the best of them but he was a pretty good player to boot.
I watched it on YouTube but now it’s not there for some reason
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 pm

This.

Big hits in general are like that now. I don't like that aspect tho. That's one thing I agree with Nanne about. A big clean hit, is a hit...don't stop play to jump a player for it.
Without a doubt. I hate it when a big hit is given then retribution must be paid. Happens damn near every time
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:45 pm
i read the article. a tough guy that liked to party-but loved his family. that's what i took from it anyways. was there anything genetic to lead to the heart attack or was the heart in bad shape from all the self-destructive behavior? did they get into that in the film?

what yzerman have to say-if you remember.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:45 pm

i read the article. a tough guy that liked to party-but loved his family. that's what i took from it anyways. was there anything genetic to lead to the heart attack or was the heart in bad shape from all the self-destructive behavior? did they get into that in the film?

what yzerman have to say-if you remember.
The one thing about Yzerman I remember in the documentary is when Probert got beat by Domi and then Domi did the championship belt thing. The next time they fought Probert beat Domi and Yzerman was on the bench mocking Domi with his own championship belt move. It was hilarious