Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

High School Hockey Talk

A place to discuss the MN Wild
DC4MVP

High School Hockey Talk

Post by DC4MVP »

We have a college hockey thread so why not a High School hockey thread?

Most teams are starting up this week. Seems Edina and Minnetonka seem to be the favorites in AA with Hermantown the favorites in A.

On a more personal note, my nephew made varsity (1st line left-wing) as a freshman for the Simley Spartans (class A) and scored his first goal in his first game. So far with 2 goals & an assist in 3 games. It was pretty cool to see it as he was at my first varsity game when I was 15 while he was 2 years old. 12 years later, I'm watching him in his first game.

Not bad for a 5'2, 14 year old.
Hole Nova Level

Re: High School Hockey Talk

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Good for him. 1st line Freshman at any school is always impressive.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Glad you started this thread DC!! Nothin better than HS Hockey and of course I'm excited about another season of Hornet Hockey! Although this is a bit of a re-building year for the Green, there is still some major talent on the squad and a return to yet another state tourney is certainly a high possibility. Hornets top gun is Mason Nevers, whose father Tom was a star for the Hornets back in the 90's and was actually a better baseball player than hockey....went on to have a fairly long minor league career!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am Glad you started this thread DC!! Nothin better than HS Hockey and of course I'm excited about another season of Hornet Hockey! Although this is a bit of a re-building year for the Green, there is still some major talent on the squad and a return to yet another state tourney is certainly a high possibility. Hornets top gun is Mason Nevers, whose father Tom was a star for the Hornets back in the 90's and was actually a better baseball player than hockey....went on to have a fairly long minor league career!
I actually thought he'd have had more success in hockey and was disappointed when he hung up the skates.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:16 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 am Glad you started this thread DC!! Nothin better than HS Hockey and of course I'm excited about another season of Hornet Hockey! Although this is a bit of a re-building year for the Green, there is still some major talent on the squad and a return to yet another state tourney is certainly a high possibility. Hornets top gun is Mason Nevers, whose father Tom was a star for the Hornets back in the 90's and was actually a better baseball player than hockey....went on to have a fairly long minor league career!
I actually thought he'd have had more success in hockey and was disappointed when he hung up the skates.
Probably liked baseball better and knew a long time career might be more getable going that route. I do remember that after playing several years of baseball he did go to the U for a period of time in his mid 20's and actually played in a game or two of hockey....he was a little rusty at that point!
Last edited by Hornets on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 am We have a college hockey thread so why not a High School hockey thread?

Most teams are starting up this week. Seems Edina and Minnetonka seem to be the favorites in AA with Hermantown the favorites in A.

On a more personal note, my nephew made varsity (1st line left-wing) as a freshman for the Simley Spartans (class A) and scored his first goal in his first game. So far with 2 goals & an assist in 3 games. It was pretty cool to see it as he was at my first varsity game when I was 15 while he was 2 years old. 12 years later, I'm watching him in his first game.

:clap:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 am We have a college hockey thread so why not a High School hockey thread?

Good for him. You will have to update his progress this season from time to time.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is a good book on the jefferson jaguars and tom saterdalen. though it's main focus is on saterdalen's team it's a good read on minnesota HS hockey too. plenty of names and other programs mentioned in the book.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:16 pm
Probably liked baseball better and knew a long time career might be more getable going that route. I do remember that after playing several years of baseball he did go to the U for a period of time in his mid 20's and actually played in a game or two of hockey....he was a little rusty at that point!
Yes I think there's some truth to that. He was Houston's #1 pick and received $250k + money for college to make the decision easier.

And yes he played in 1 game for the Gophers after baseball was done.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:26 pm this is a good book on the jefferson jaguars and tom saterdalen. though it's main focus is on saterdalen's team it's a good read on minnesota HS hockey too. plenty of names and other programs mentioned in the book.

MIght have to put that one on my Christmas list. One of my BFF's played for Saterdalen in the late 70's and although he had great success as a coach my bud says there was lots of turmoil amongst Saterdalen and parents back then.....things never change!
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Blades of Glory is a must read for any MN hockey fan. Great book. Saterdalen was the Billicheck of HS hockey. His sh-t ran tight and his players came to play because that was EXPECTED.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Good for him. You will have to update his progress this season from time to time.
No prob!

He's EASILY the best, most athletically successful nephew on Froob Chat. He's already achieved more athletically than any nephew on these forums.

:lol:

(Isn't Carson Wentz your nephew?)
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:35 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:22 pm

No prob!

He's EASILY the best, most athletically successful nephew on Froob Chat. He's already achieved more athletically than any nephew on these forums.

:lol:

(Isn't Carson Wentz your nephew?)
Yes he is. Hopefully your nephew will have a better year than the Eagles and Carson, although they are still in it considering the NFC East is not so good this year.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Gus -- you are the great HS hockey mind -- how our my WB Lake Bears gonna do this year ?? lose to HM again ????

side note -- i played HS hockey when masks were not required !!! played many a game at Aldrich arena and can say i scored 4 goals in a St Paul City conference game at the old Civic Center ...glass boards and all !!!

DC4MVP -- congrats on your nephew making Varsity as a freshman !!!! that is awesome !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:53 pm Blades of Glory is a must read for any MN hockey fan. Great book. Saterdalen was the Billicheck of HS hockey. His sh-t ran tight and his players came to play because that was EXPECTED.
i thought the bianchi story was a very good one-dad and kids. he was a very underrated element to saterdalen's success imo. along with his kids. and i don't think that saterdalen ever won another state championship after bianchi retired. if i'm remembering correctly-that is the case.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:04 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:26 pm this is a good book on the jefferson jaguars and tom saterdalen. though it's main focus is on saterdalen's team it's a good read on minnesota HS hockey too. plenty of names and other programs mentioned in the book.

MIght have to put that one on my Christmas list. One of my BFF's played for Saterdalen in the late 70's and although he had great success as a coach my bud says there was lots of turmoil amongst Saterdalen and parents back then.....things never change!
hockey parents figure prominently in the book.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Class act from West Fargo Sheyenne hockey team
https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/ ... 66241.html
full force five

Post by full force five »

Minnetonka's stud from last year Brink is playing USHL (leading the league in scoring as a 11th grader) he will not be back, probably a first round draft pick. Motzko's so is playing there this year. Tonka is still plenty stacked.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Leon wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:45 pm Gus -- you are the great HS hockey mind -- how our my WB Lake Bears gonna do this year ?? lose to HM again ????

side note -- i played HS hockey when masks were not required !!! played many a game at Aldrich arena and can say i scored 4 goals in a St Paul City conference game at the old Civic Center ...glass boards and all !!!

DC4MVP -- congrats on your nephew making Varsity as a freshman !!!! that is awesome !
I haven't had time to study the Bears yet, but they ALWAYS come to play and I assume they'll be decent. My 1st year HS hockey was the 76-77 season and I think that was the year that facemasks started being required......you ARE old aren't you! FOUR GOALS at the Civic Center? WOW, what a great game and somethin you'll remember proudly for the rest of your life....well done!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm Minnetonka's stud from last year Brink is playing USHL (leading the league in scoring as a 11th grader) he will not be back, probably a first round draft pick. Motzko's so is playing there this year. Tonka is still plenty stacked.
i remember how good he was in the state tournament. he's got younger brothers-are any of them old enough to be playing HS hockey?
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

I will order that book. You have not exp mn hockey until you have attended a Rams Vs Warriors in either rink. I got to see it in the 70's during the Broten years. AMAZING.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

I have this book on my shelf. Bought it when it came out, but I've never read it. I'll have to move it up the list.

DC, is your nephew Little Sid? I played with his old man and shared a lot of practice ice with the young man in PeeWees. Promising player, for sure.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

I have this book on my shelf. Bought it when it came out, but I've never read it. I'll have to move it up the list.

DC, is your nephew Little Sid? I played with his old man and shared a lot of practice ice with the young man in PeeWees. Promising player, for sure.
He is not.

I'm in a dilemma tonight. I've been a life long Hill-Murray fan (brother went to state with them in 1996....3 OT game vs. Edina. Fuck you Gus!) and my nephew's Simley Spartans play them tonight.

I'll be there but I have no idea who to cheer for....
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 am He is not.

I'm in a dilemma tonight. I've been a life long Hill-Murray fan (brother went to state with them in 1996....3 OT game vs. Edina. Fuck you Gus!) and my nephew's Simley Spartans play them tonight.

I'll be there but I have no idea who to cheer for....
I think I figured it out. If so, I coached his younger brother (also very small) two seasons ago.

Good luck tonight, Spartans!
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 am I will order that book. You have not exp mn hockey until you have attended a Rams Vs Warriors in either rink. I got to see it in the 70's during the Broten years. AMAZING.
WOW, that WOULD have been amazing to see those teams back in the day! As an Edina native you can imagine some of the classic tilts that I saw at Braemar Arena back in the late 70's. Best might have been seeing Grand Rapids with Jimmy Jetland in goal. The late 70's Hornet teams have to be considered some of the best teams ever in the state.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Simley vs. Hill was 1-1 at the first intermission and was quite a good game then Coach Lechner must have fired up his Pioneers in the locker room and ended up winning 12-1 with 11 goals in the 2nd & 3rd stanzas.

Top-tier AA team vs. a mid-tier (at best) A team. Woof.........
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm Simley vs. Hill was 1-1 at the first intermission and was quite a good game then Coach Lechner must have fired up his Pioneers in the locker room and ended up winning 12-1 with 11 goals in the 2nd & 3rd stanzas.

hockey's a game of mistakes. make a small one versus a superior opponent and the puck ends up in the back of the net real fast. hanging with the pioneers for a period is something that they can take from that game.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

DC4MVP wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm Simley vs. Hill was 1-1 at the first intermission and was quite a good game then Coach Lechner must have fired up his Pioneers in the locker room and ended up winning 12-1 with 11 goals in the 2nd & 3rd stanzas.

Unfortunately I can relate with the peewee team I’m coaching this year. Bunch of first year peewees on the team this year and it’s showing. Last years team was all second year kids but 2. Great kids though who work their asses off.

How did your nephew look out there?
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am

Unfortunately I can relate with the peewee team I’m coaching this year. Bunch of first year peewees on the team this year and it’s showing. Last years team was all second year kids but 2. Great kids though who work their asses off.

How did your nephew look out there?
Like the rest of the team lol

Nobody could hold on to the puck for more than a second. Throwing the puck around without looking.

They knew they were playing a top team in the state and after Hill got that goal early in the 2nd, it was over.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm Minnetonka's stud from last year Brink is playing USHL (leading the league in scoring as a 11th grader) he will not be back, probably a first round draft pick. Motzko's so is playing there this year. Tonka is still plenty stacked.
Do you mean Luke Loheit? He's at UMD