Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fenton Heading to Russia (Kaprizov)

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Corre Ricky Corre

Fenton Heading to Russia (Kaprizov)

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

After a few months of long-distance courtship with prize prospect Kirill Kaprizov, Wild General Manager Paul Fenton will take the relationship to a new level this weekend when he travels to Russia to meet the young forward for the first time.

Fenton said Friday he will watch Kaprizov, drafted 135th overall by the Wild in 2015, play in several games for CSKA Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League. He also plans to have dinner with Kaprizov and his parents. During the trip, Fenton also will get a firsthand look at another Wild draftee playing for CSKA Moscow, forward Andrei Svetlakov, and scout some free agents.

Kaprizov, 21, is considered the Wild’s most intriguing prospect. Though his KHL contract runs through next season — and there have been no discussions about ending it early — Fenton said he expects Kaprizov to eventually sign with the Wild.

“All indicators are saying that yes, we are confident he wants to be a part of the Minnesota Wild organization,’’ Fenton said. “It will be a good experience for me to physically see him, meet him, try to build a relationship with him, so we know that in the future, he’ll be one of us.’’

A 5-9 winger, Kaprizov is off to a strong start in his fifth KHL season. He has a team-high 10 goals in 22 games, along with seven assists. Kaprizov averaged nearly a point per game in each of the past two seasons and won a gold medal with Team Russia at last February’s Winter Olympics.

Fenton said he has been in frequent contact with Kaprizov’s agent, Dan Milstein, since becoming the Wild’s GM in May. He will watch him play two games in Russia and three more in a tournament in Finland.

Though Fenton knows only one word in Russian — “da,’’ which means yes — he’s confident he can make Kaprizov and his family understand how much the Wild covets him.

“We’re very, very, very, very interested in him,’’ Fenton said. “I think that’s the most important thing, to show him that we have the love for him.’’
Hornets

Re: Fenton Heading to Russia (Kaprizov)

Post by Hornets »

Go get em!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Good. The damage CF did to the relationship between him and the Wild was not good even though I feel much of it seemed to be misunderstandings about stuff that was simply lost in translation (Kaprisov speaks literally zero English). Hopefully Fenton will straighten this situation out and I think that he will. Having said that, the soonest Kaprisov will play for the Wild is 24 months from now as he is under contract with his KHL team until then, a contract which from my understanding neither he nor the Wild can buyout of. The good news is that the Wild retain his NHL right indefinitely meaning that if he ever wants to play in the NHL it will be for the Wild unless of course the Wild trade their rights to him.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The kid will get here and whattaya bet he ends up being a bust, kinda like the Korean and Japanese playa's the Twins thought were gonna be great!
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Hornets wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:21 pm The kid will get here and whattaya bet he ends up being a bust, kinda like the Korean and Japanese playa's the Twins thought were gonna be great!
I can't quite agree with the comparison, just because the Twins drafting & scouting department was a laughing stock for so long. At least the Wild hit on a prospect here and there, and sign decent free agents.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:18 am
Hornets wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:21 pm The kid will get here and whattaya bet he ends up being a bust, kinda like the Korean and Japanese playa's the Twins thought were gonna be great!
I can't quite agree with the comparison, just because the Twins drafting & scouting department was a laughing stock for so long. At least the Wild hit on a prospect here and there, and sign decent free agents.
Terrible comparison Gus. Twins find the guys at the end of their career and hope they have a little left in the tank or sign mediocre players hoping they can find lightning in a bottle. We all know the Parise/Suter contracts hold this team back a bit and will for another 7 years. It is what it is. Love what Fenton is doing and trying to fix what CF effed up. Time will tell but at least he’s going there to try and straighten the relationship out between Kaprizov and the Wild.
Corre Ricky Corre

It's a matter of fact that Kaprizov can't come here until 2020, right? Or is there an opt out in his Russian contract?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am It's a matter of fact that Kaprizov can't come here until 2020, right? Or is there an opt out in his Russian contract?
I think 2020-2021 is the first year he can come over.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am It's a matter of fact that Kaprizov can't come here until 2020, right? Or is there an opt out in his Russian contract?
I think 2020-2021 is the first year he can come over.
Correct. They can't buy out his contract. As I said though, the Wild retain his rights indefinitely regardless of how long it takes to sign him to an NHL contract. Having said that, there's no good reason to think that he won't want to play in the NHL after his current KHL contract has expired, however, the possibility that the Players Unions strikes ahead of the 2020-21 season could complicate matters.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

We need him.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Hornets wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:16 pmGo get em!!
You have no clue to life. STFU and pull your lower lip over your head and swallow. :lol:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 am
You have no clue to life. STFU and pull your lower lip over your head and swallow. :lol:
Nyet, nyet I won't.... :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm Good. The damage CF did to the relationship between him and the Wild was not good even though I feel much of it seemed to be misunderstandings about stuff that was simply lost in translation (Kaprisov speaks literally zero English). Hopefully Fenton will straighten this situation out and I think that he will.
What happened?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I can't wait for this guy to get here. I've been watching his highlights for years and he's got some of the craziest, most brilliant goals I've seen out of a prospect in years. I'm probably about as excited about this guy as I was about Pierre-Marc Bouchard. (Ultimately PMB never lived up to that excitement but the ceiling is higher in KK)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Corre Ricky Corre

"You can tell he loves the game. He's so smart. He really sees the play happen before anything transpires — that's the most fascinating part." — GM Paul Fenton on Kirill Kaprizov
Corre Ricky Corre

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am "You can tell he loves the game. He's so smart. He really sees the play happen before anything transpires — that's the most fascinating part." — GM Paul Fenton on Kirill Kaprizov
Fenton also said he's already as skilled as anybody we have.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

salamander wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm Good. The damage CF did to the relationship between him and the Wild was not good even though I feel much of it seemed to be misunderstandings about stuff that was simply lost in translation (Kaprisov speaks literally zero English). Hopefully Fenton will straighten this situation out and I think that he will.
What happened?
The Wild have a reputation of mostly keeping their hands off of their prospects until it is obvious the the next step is with the Wild or the player and his agent come to them. For example, they don't pressure prospects that are playing in college to leave early unless the player and his agent tell the Wild they want to. If the player in college is in his final year of NCAA eligibility however, the Wild will naturally have more direct contact with him.

The deal with Kaprisov was that the Wild had very little contact with him aside from right after they drafted him and he made some comments in the Russian press, I believe in the summer of 2017 to the effect that he was disappointed that the Wild really didn't seem to care if and when he made the move from the KHL to the NHL. Shortly thereafter he signed a 3 year contract extension with his KHL club, that neither he nor the Wild can buy out. From what I understand Kaprisov doesn't speak any English, not even a little bit (or at least didn't in the summer 2017) and the channels of communication to reach our to him (or any young Russian prospect playing in the KHL) arean't as fluid as they are with almost any other type of prospect. Long story short, it wasn't communicated to him that the Wild would basically leave him alone until he let them know otherwise as was their standard practice for all prospects. He took it as a slight that the Wild weren't begging him to come over. Like I said, I think it's probably just something that was lost in translation between English to Russian. Hopefully, Fenton cleared this up and there is no reason to believe that he did not.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

You don't know a fucking thing about hockey or anything else for that matter. You're the poster child for birth control. :thumbsup:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Qman65 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:10 am
You don't know a fucking thing about hockey or anything else for that matter. You're the poster child for birth control. :thumbsup:
Anotha middle of the night rant! :lol:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hornets wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:27 am
Qman65 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:10 am
Anotha middle of the night rant! :lol:
I can feel the love way over here in NoDak :D
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm
What happened?
The Wild have a reputation of mostly keeping their hands off of their prospects until it is obvious the the next step is with the Wild or the player and his agent come to them. For example, they don't pressure prospects that are playing in college to leave early unless the player and his agent tell the Wild they want to. If the player in college is in his final year of NCAA eligibility however, the Wild will naturally have more direct contact with him.

The deal with Kaprisov was that the Wild had very little contact with him aside from right after they drafted him and he made some comments in the Russian press, I believe in the summer of 2017 to the effect that he was disappointed that the Wild really didn't seem to care if and when he made the move from the KHL to the NHL. Shortly thereafter he signed a 3 year contract extension with his KHL club, that neither he nor the Wild can buy out. From what I understand Kaprisov doesn't speak any English, not even a little bit (or at least didn't in the summer 2017) and the channels of communication to reach our to him (or any young Russian prospect playing in the KHL) arean't as fluid as they are with almost any other type of prospect. Long story short, it wasn't communicated to him that the Wild would basically leave him alone until he let them know otherwise as was their standard practice for all prospects. He took it as a slight that the Wild weren't begging him to come over. Like I said, I think it's probably just something that was lost in translation between English to Russian. Hopefully, Fenton cleared this up and there is no reason to believe that he did not.
Welllllll...
There's more to that story.
Fletcher was at a WC that Kaprizov was playing in and didn't even attempt to meet him.
(In fact he didn't try to meet him at the last Olympics)
Fenton said Kaprizov understands English.
(So that myth can go)

He didn't sign an extension with a team in the KHL..
He was a total free agent that could've come to the Wild..

He signed a new contract, with a new team because he logically figured the Wild weren't really interested.

Hopefully Fenton has mended the relationship..
The Wilds 2nd best player is in Russia.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

jakazz30 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm

What happened?

Welllllll...
There's more to that story.
Fletcher was at a WC that Kaprizov was playing in and didn't even attempt to meet him.
(In fact he didn't try to meet him at the last Olympics)
Fenton said Kaprizov understands English.
(So that myth can go)

He didn't sign an extension with a team in the KHL..
He was a total free agent that could've come to the Wild..

He signed a new contract, with a new team because he logically figured the Wild weren't really interested.

Hopefully Fenton has mended the relationship..
The Wilds 2nd best player is in Russia.
I was as hard on CF as anybody for the way he handled the situation, but if I remember correctly, it was the WJC and the Russian delegation basically refused to let him talk to Kaprisov while there were still games to be played because they didn't want him "distracted". Of course when there were no more games to be played the Russian team headed to the airport and didn't really give a damn whether or not CF got to talk to him or not (truthfully they were probably glad that he didn't). Depends on whose side of the story you believe I guess. For as much as I think CF played this entire thing poorly I have a difficult time believing he took the time to attend that tournament and couldn't find 20-30 minutes to talk to the kid if it were just as simple as asking to talk to him, but maybe that's just me?

As far as the English thing is concerned, I'm going by what I heard Russo state on the radio on two different occasions 14-16 months ago. The situation since then may have changed and I acknowledged that much, but if it has this is the first that I've heard of it and at one time (not that long ago) it was indeed the case. In other words, as far as fitting in with the timeline of events it is still very much relevant and applicable.

For the record I stand corrected the other points you raise. It was indeed not an extension but an entirely new contract and the Wild could have signed him then. Also, I agree he probably is the Wild's 2nd best player and it sucks that he's not here.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

1CDF3D85-DED8-44BD-8032-BD9733200183.jpeg
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm 1CDF3D85-DED8-44BD-8032-BD9733200183.jpeg
Ummmmm....
How was it true?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm 1CDF3D85-DED8-44BD-8032-BD9733200183.jpeg
Wait....WHAT?! He's coming?!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

There was a picture of him on twitter wearing a Twins hat recently. Hope?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Draft Caulfield, get Kaprizov here, make a savvy FA signing or 2, and BOOM, we got ourselves a contender!!
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Hornets wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm
Wait....WHAT?! He's coming?!
0% chance......
The Wild can't do it salary cap wise.....
(Unless they aren't planning on resigning people like Fiala)

The myth that people have....."cap space"....in that number someone like Fiala isn't included....he has to be given a new contract....
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

He won't be here until spring 2020.

No use in getting excited for him coming for the 2019-2020 season.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I'm waiting to hear more about this from JimmyT!