Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2018 NHL Draft

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Ron Burgundy 4 President

2018 NHL Draft

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

This will obviously be a Wild heavy thread, but feel free to post and comment other draft weekend material (trades, where and by who MN kids are taken, etc.). I expect at least one major move by the Wild, but I hope I think we're talking about moving mid-high end for comparable ones. I don't think we're gonna see guys like Nino, Brodin, Dumba moved straight up for high draft picks although if a major trade does happen some draft picks may be exchanged to balance out whatever inequity might be present regarding the main pieces of a trade. I heard Russo a few days ago say that recently he has been having communication problems with many Wild players because in his words, they're all terrified they are going to be moved and are worried Russo is going to break them the news and are well aware the new GM has no loyalty to any of them. Lastly, keep in mind the draft isn't just Friday so even if a deal isn't made today doesn't mean that one isn't happening.
Sid Hartman

Re: 2018 NHL Draft

Post by Sid Hartman »

Reach!

This is what happens when same crappy scouts and Flahr are still running the department
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 pm Reach!

This is what happens when same crappy scouts and Flahr are still running the department
I don't complain about draft picks very often because quite frankly, even I haven't heard of most of these guys until today, but are they fucking serious with this shit?!

Which part did you find most cringeworthy?

- The part where Bob MacKenzie said, "I had him ranked at 54th on my board" (the Wild took him 24th).

- The part where Bob MacKenzie said, "He's a guy that really doesn't do one thing well".

- The part where Bob MacKenize said, "he has the career upside of a guy like Justin Braun".

- The part where Bob MacKenzie said, "in our mock draft not one of the 10 experts had him anywhere in the first round."

If they still loved him for whatever reason, they should have traded down about 30 spots or even 20 just to be sure and taken him then.
Last edited by Ron Burgundy 4 President on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Same shit different year
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Russo tweeted the kid said he didn’t think he would be a first round pick...only the Wild!
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

I swear I could be a better scout than any of these bums on the Wild. Hell I had Boeser right when they passed on him. Had he not got hurt this year he’s probably ROY instead of coming in second.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Fenton said something like, "we like him because he's a really intelligent player"? SQ: Aren't all of these guys that have made it this far intelligent players?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

From The Athletic

24. Minnesota Wild: Filip Johansson

Defenseman, Leksands-J20 SuperElit

March 23, 2000 | 6-foot-1 | 174 pounds

Johansson’s got decent size and plays hard. He skates fine, won’t blow by guys but can get up the ice, and stay with checks. Johansson moves the puck reasonably well, with his IQ being his best trait. He shows good vision and doesn’t show up on highlight reels for the wrong reason. The issue for me is I never saw a game, a shift even, where I said to myself, “That’s a guy I want on my team.” I have an upside question with where his game could go.

Pronman’s take: Johansson is a player I was not enamored with and would not have recommended for a pick. I know scouts who would have. They love his work ethic, his steady two-way play. There is a lack of jump in his game, but I’m not sold on the upside. The first pick of the draft I strongly oppose, but I know other teams had him in the first round.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/06/22/wi ... nhl-draft/

My Thoughts: Maybe its just me but isn’t this the type of player the Wild seem to covet way too much. Another, non-physical, finesse defenseman in the mold of Jonas Brodin, Gustav Olofsson and Tyler Cuma. The Wild have been pushed around and dominated in the battles in around the crease and Johansson will probably not be NHL ready for 2-3 (or more) seasons its tough to see how this will make Minnesota better in crunch time where physical battles become magnified and non-physical players seem to wither or disappear. Lastly, was this really the pick you wanted to make in the 1st round? Most scouts, including those in the draft broadcast seemed surprised how far ‘off the board’ the pick was and when you look at where the various scouting agencies had him it seems like there was a fair chance he would’ve been available in the 2nd round so why not trade down, add more assets and get him then? I am not impressed by this selection at all; especially as they let an opportunity to draft a speedy Top 9 center in Ryan McLeod or a deft playmaking Joe Veleno or sniper Dominik Bokk go by the wayside. They unfortunately missed out on K’Andre Miller whom the New York Rangers traded up to get. But if we really felt we had to have a defenseman I’d rather have taken a chance on Mattias Samuelsson, a big, physical defender who would give our team a dimension it has lacked for the better part of a decade instead of the same finesse defenseman we always seem to pick. As they say with the layman’s definition of insanity, ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’ Yeesh.
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Only one trade that involved actual current players on day one of the draft. I would assume we will see more tomorrow, hopefully the Wild are involved in some of them.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

On ESPN.com all the picks were listed as well as the draft board ranking. All had a number rank to them except the Wild.

24. Minnesota Wild: Filip Johansson, D, Leksand Jr. (Sweden-Jr.)

Draft board ranking: Intriguing late-rounder :shock:

29 GP | 4 G | 5 A
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

D755FAE7-81AF-44E8-BD68-3DDC05E7ABFE.jpeg
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Just when I think my interest in this team can't go any lower...
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Fenton's calling card is supposed to be the draft, right?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm From The Athletic

24. Minnesota Wild: Filip Johansson

Defenseman, Leksands-J20 SuperElit

March 23, 2000 | 6-foot-1 | 174 pounds

Johansson’s got decent size and plays hard. He skates fine, won’t blow by guys but can get up the ice, and stay with checks. Johansson moves the puck reasonably well, with his IQ being his best trait. He shows good vision and doesn’t show up on highlight reels for the wrong reason. The issue for me is I never saw a game, a shift even, where I said to myself, “That’s a guy I want on my team.” I have an upside question with where his game could go.

Pronman’s take: Johansson is a player I was not enamored with and would not have recommended for a pick. I know scouts who would have. They love his work ethic, his steady two-way play. There is a lack of jump in his game, but I’m not sold on the upside. The first pick of the draft I strongly oppose, but I know other teams had him in the first round.
This is what Pronman said about the Blues pick

25. St. Louis Blues: Dominik Bokk

(pick acquired from Maple Leafs)
Right Wing, Vaxjo-SHL
Feb. 3, 2000 | 6-foot-1 | 180 pounds
Bokk’s pure puck skill is up there with the very best in the draft class. He dances with the puck on his stick and can make flashy dekes seem routine. His hands also translate to making him one of the best pickpockets (of pucks) I’ve seen at his age. He’s a good playmaker who looks to makes plays to his teammates and has the patience and skill to hold the puck and let an option develop. He can finish chances, too, and when he’s played internationally, the German team has looked to him as a trigger man. His skating is fine, not explosive, but average. The main criticism of him is off the puck. He’s not a very intense physical player nor is he great defensively.
Pronman’s take: The Blues get one of the most talented playmakers in the draft in Bokk. He’s only played one year of high-level hockey and needs work rounding out his game, but man can he make elite plays. Skill and offensive IQ for miles with Bokk. With Robert Thomas, Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin and company, Bokk joins a high-end group of scoring talent in the Blues system. In my view, one of the best picks of the night.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

We ready for a new gm yet?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

only one minnesotan taken in the first round and that was at 22. any thoughts?

K’Andre Miller

Miller, who is from Hopkins and skated for Minnetonka High School, played for the U.S. National Development Program’s under-18 team last year. He has signed with the University of Wisconsin.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

A bit more forgiving take from Josh Gold-Smith.

Johansson is a better prospect than his underwhelming stat line might indicate.

He ranked 10th among European skaters on NHL Central Scouting's final rankings, a notable improvement upon a No. 17 midterm ranking.

Johansson helped Sweden secure bronze medals at the Under-18 World Junior Hockey Championship and the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this past season after winning gold with the Tre Kronor at the Under-17 World Championship last year.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Any good college free agent or possible UDFA targets?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

INSIJS wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 am A bit more forgiving take from Josh Gold-Smith.

Johansson is a better prospect than his underwhelming stat line might indicate.

He ranked 10th among European skaters on NHL Central Scouting's final rankings, a notable improvement upon a No. 17 midterm ranking.

Johansson helped Sweden secure bronze medals at the Under-18 World Junior Hockey Championship and the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this past season after winning gold with the Tre Kronor at the Under-17 World Championship last year.
it's all about skating in today's nhl isn't it? if you can't keep up you can't play.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

From Pete Blackburn on CBS Sports.

Filip Johansson, D: This is an off-the-board pick by Minnesota. Johansson was projected to be a second-rounder and there's not much about his game that really jumps off the page, but he could turn into a serviceable defenseman. Still, seems like a reach here and there were players with more upside still on the board.
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

Fletcher 2.0
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

I was watching some of the draft coverage from day 2 and one of the scouts they interviewed said Jack McBain (first pick of the 3rd round by the Wild) will be the best player in the draft not picked in the first round.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

The Sporting News Draft Grade

Minnesota Wild

Grade: C+

This grade would be a lot higher had Minnesota not thrown away its first-round pick on a player who had identical cohorts all through the second, third and fourth rounds. To be fair to defender Filip Johansson (24th), the kid knows how to play defense and his mobility makes it easy to keep pucks out of harm’s way. Still, it was a reach pick, and everyone outside of Minnesota seems to think the same. Centers Jack McBain (63rd) and Alexander Khovanov (86th) were once considered locks for the first round before slipping due to mediocre second halves and questions about their foot speed. They did a great job, however, by nabbing aggressive puck rusher Simon Johansson (148th), and forwards Connor Dewar (92nd) and Shawn Boudrias (179th) were two of my higher-rated overagers. Smallish centers Damien Giroux (155th) and Sam Hentges (210) are decent skill players who could make a lot of noise with their respective junior clubs next year.
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

Not very excited about the Wilds draft
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

ILLogic wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 am Not very excited about the Wilds draft
I'm planning on watching/reading more about our picks but the eye test doesn't get me excited, either.

It seems like more of the "grinding" forwards with no speed to compliment a #4 d-man

Not that splash I was hoping the new GM would make. Seems like a very "safe" draft which is basically what GMCF has been doing for years.
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

DC4MVP wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 pm
I'm planning on watching/reading more about our picks but the eye test doesn't get me excited, either.

It seems like more of the "grinding" forwards with no speed to compliment a #4 d-man

Not that splash I was hoping the new GM would make. Seems like a very "safe" draft which is basically what GMCF has been doing for years.
Sounds like Fenton was on the sidelines for this draft. Brent Flahr was in charge.
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Overall it sounds like Fenton is being given an examination year before really putting his mark on the team. Most FO guys are staying & BB was told he would be staying thru the season by CL. I don't think Fenton has been neutered by CL this season but there obviously were certain stipulations for '18-'19 upon hiring him.
Lampin'
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

ILLogic wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am
DC4MVP wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Sounds like Fenton was on the sidelines for this draft. Brent Flahr was in charge.
This draft had "old regime" written all over it.

Not surprised, though. It must be tough coming into a team that's probably done 95% of their scouting tailored to what GMCF wanted before he got canned and trying to run a draft.

I really don't see Fenton making any big moves this year which means another f'ing year of spinning our wheels. Ugh.........
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

DC4MVP wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm I really don't see Fenton making any big moves this year which means another f'ing year of spinning our wheels. Ugh.........
I can't agree with the 'no big moves' part. The next few days will tell the tale.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path