Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Steelers might be auditioning Cousins for next season!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
JackSpit

Steelers might be auditioning Cousins for next season!

Post by JackSpit »

Expect a career game from Cousins if this is true.
Steelers in the Market for Cousins

Cousins could have an audition ahead of him when the Pittsburgh Steelers visit U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis for a primetime Thursday Night Football matchup in Week 14.

ESPN’s Brooke Pryor reported that the face of the Steelers franchise, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, is beginning to tell teammates this will be his last season playing in the NFL, leaving a void at quarterback the Steelers could be aggressive in filling this offseason.

Pryor named Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and Cousins as two potential trade targets for the Steelers.

“Two other tradable veteran quarterbacks to keep an eye on are Carr and Cousins, who both have one year left on their deals. Both the Raiders and the Vikings appear at a crossroads with their respective quarterbacks and coaching staffs,” Pryor wrote. “The Raiders (6-5) already fired Jon Gruden, while Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman are approaching the hot seat with the Vikings sitting at 5-6. If ownership decides to start fresh in either situation, the Steelers could make a play for Cousins or Carr, although Cousins is the most expensive of the bunch.”
weimy froob

Re: Steelers might be auditioning Cousins for next season!

Post by weimy froob »

cousins is going to be sought after by numerous teams if they decide to deal. i posted another article in the steelers thread about other teams who might have an interest. those teams have been mentioned by other posters for weeks.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Good, they can have him.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

JackSpit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:52 am Expect a career game from Cousins if this is true.
Steelers in the Market for Cousins

Cousins could have an audition ahead of him when the Pittsburgh Steelers visit U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis for a primetime Thursday Night Football matchup in Week 14.

ESPN’s Brooke Pryor reported that the face of the Steelers franchise, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, is beginning to tell teammates this will be his last season playing in the NFL, leaving a void at quarterback the Steelers could be aggressive in filling this offseason.

Pryor named Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Derek Carr and Cousins as two potential trade targets for the Steelers.

“Two other tradable veteran quarterbacks to keep an eye on are Carr and Cousins, who both have one year left on their deals. Both the Raiders and the Vikings appear at a crossroads with their respective quarterbacks and coaching staffs,” Pryor wrote. “The Raiders (6-5) already fired Jon Gruden, while Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman are approaching the hot seat with the Vikings sitting at 5-6. If ownership decides to start fresh in either situation, the Steelers could make a play for Cousins or Carr, although Cousins is the most expensive of the bunch.”
Career game?

If he wants to go to Pittsburg, he'll feel the pressure and probably lay an egg.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

I know Vikings fans like to think that Kirk is great and they show stats to back them up but the rest of the league has watched Kirk for almost a decade. They know he is a very good QB who gets rattled in the big moments. And most importantly, he is very expensive.

Why wouldn't they just draft a QB next year? Unless they are thinking about having Kirk come for one year but why would Kirk agree to that?

I find it very odd that Pittsburgh would be interested in Kirk. Carr is cheaper, younger, and maybe better. Certainly more mobile although that's not saying much.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:46 am I know Vikings fans like to think that Kirk is great and they show stats to back them up but the rest of the league has watched Kirk for almost a decade. They know he is a very good QB who gets rattled in the big moments. And most importantly, he is very expensive.

Why wouldn't they just draft a QB next year? Unless they are thinking about having Kirk come for one year but why would Kirk agree to that?

I find it very odd that Pittsburgh would be interested in Kirk. Carr is cheaper, younger, and maybe better. Certainly more mobile although that's not saying much.
I agree. Carr has his own warts and melt-downs though too. I'm not following super-close. I know Gruden is gone and they're struggling. Are we sure they nuke the roster and start over? It would make sense, but I could see them holding it together too.

- Isaac Asimov
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:46 am I know Vikings fans like to think that Kirk is great and they show stats to back them up but the rest of the league has watched Kirk for almost a decade. They know he is a very good QB who gets rattled in the big moments. And most importantly, he is very expensive.

Another NFL team would absolutely pay Kirk what he's owed and he actually took less money to come here.

Say you want about Kirk, a bunch of teams would be happy to have him over their other options.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 am

Another NFL team would absolutely pay Kirk what he's owed and he actually took less money to come here.

Say you want about Kirk, a bunch of teams would be happy to have him over their other options.
They would be happy until they actually watched him play and then they would want a refund.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Sure. Tell yourself that. They might prefer Kirk to what they have but have no interest in Kirk. For example, I'm sure the Lions would prefer Kirk to Goff but they are 1-10-1 and they owe Goff a lot of money. So yes, Kirk is about 10-12th in the league. That means that about 20 teams would prefer him. But not that they are interested in him.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 am

Sure. Tell yourself that. They might prefer Kirk to what they have but have no interest in Kirk. For example, I'm sure the Lions would prefer Kirk to Goff but they are 1-10-1 and they owe Goff a lot of money. So yes, Kirk is about 10-12th in the league. That means that about 20 teams would prefer him. But not that they are interested in him.
I'm not telling myself anything. The Vikings aren't the only team that values Cousins.

But I do think the league has noticed that if you have a less than dominant OL you probably shouldn't bother with him. But a team that has one and needs a QB would take him in a heartbeat even with the money.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Some interesting stats for the Kirk debate:

He has the most passes for a first down on 3rd and 10 or more this season (13).

However, he has a very low percentage of passes for a first down on 3rd and long (26.5%). This is despite completing around 82% of his passes on third and long (36/44). This means he's throwing behind the sticks a lot and not in positions where guys are likely to get the necessary YAC to convert.

In Kirk's defense, 3rd and 10 or more is a winning situation for the defense and losing one for the offense. It's difficult to convert, but Carson Wentz (32.5%) and Jimmy Garoppolo (41.3%) are both converting at a higher rate in those situations than Kirk. Kirk is a more talented thrower than those guys.

So, this is not all on Kirk. Getting in 3rd and 10 or more 44 times this year already is pretty bad. I'm sure playcalling can be looked at as well as pass protection. But some of this has to land at Kirk Cousin's $35M feet. He is too content to check-down or unable to buy time in the pocket or escape to allow guys to uncover downfield.

This is something that does not show up in most statistical analysis. QBR, passer rating, PFF, etc. all reward him for the 4-yard completion on 3rd and 10. As a fan, I don't. But I don't have a stat for it.

- Isaac Asimov
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sure. Tell yourself that.
He doesn't need to tell himself that - he's very likely correct.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

Lol. No team is trading for Cousins.
“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Cousins auditioning in a prime time game? Good luck with that.
Let's get Tropical
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i believe there's going to be a market for kirk. multiple teams. i think if the vikings are going to keep zimmer and/or spielman they should try to renegotiate the contract and keep him.

if they're getting rid of the brain trust then you might as well go for the complete tear down.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:52 am

Yes the league is filled with QBs that would have done better with a suspect OL for pass protection, a run game going backwards, a HC that approaches the offense from the stone age, a different OC nearly every season, a defense that is 30th in the league and has now set a league record for points given up after the 2-minute warning of either half 12 games into the season, breaking the record set by the same team in 2020, all while currently being 6th for yards, 6th for PCT, 6th for TDs with only 3 INTs and 2nd for RTG while providing several late game leads that were given away.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 pm

Yes the league is filled with QBs that would have done better with a suspect OL for pass protection, a run game going backwards, a HC that approaches the offense from the stone age, a different OC nearly every season, a defense that is 30th in the league and has now set a league record for points given up after the 2-minute warning of either half 12 games into the season, breaking the record set by the same team in 2020.
That's great. We tend to overvalue what we have. If Kirk Cousins were the QB of another team and you, as a Vikings fan, were asked if you wanted Kirk at $33M+ per year, you would say, no way (I suspect). He requires too much help and that salary stops that from being possible. I think that a lot of Vikings fans would think very differently about Kirk if he weren't on their team. They would view Kirk like every other team does. A very expensive, very good but not great QB who gets rattled in the big moments.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Yes the league is filled with QBs that would have done better with a suspect OL for pass protection, a run game going backwards, a HC that approaches the offense from the stone age, a different OC nearly every season, a defense that is 30th in the league and has now set a league record for points given up after the 2-minute warning of either half 12 games into the season, breaking the record set by the same team in 2020.
That's great. We tend to overvalue what we have. If Kirk Cousins were the QB of another team and you, as a Vikings fan, were asked if you wanted Kirk at $33M+ per year, you would say, no way (I suspect). He requires too much help and that salary stops that from being possible. I think that a lot of Vikings fans would think very differently about Kirk if he weren't on their team. They would view Kirk like every other team does. A very expensive, very good but not great QB who gets rattled in the big moments.
So you know how every other team feels despite his actual stats (6th for yards, 6th for PCT, 6th for TDs with only 3 INTs, 2nd for RTG while providing several late game leads that were given away) and that GMs and coaches are typically educated enough to recognize the shit show that is the Vikings?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:30 pm

So you know how every other team feels despite his actual stats (6th for yards, 6th for PCT, 6th for TDs with only 3 INTs, 2nd for RTG while providing several late game leads that were given away) and that GMs and coaches are typically educated enough to recognize the shit show that is the Vikings?
I'm just telling you what I hear universally from fans outside of Minnesota. It's a very fan-like thing to thing others want their players. It's why fans suggest the most one-sided trades.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm just telling you what I hear universally from fans outside of Minnesota. It's a very fan-like thing to thing others want their players. It's why fans suggest the most one-sided trades.
I haven't been in MN for more than 2 months in 7 years. I am not a diehard fan to any degree. This has nothing to do with wanting anything and you are clearly projecting your own assumptions (despite all the stats and hurdles he has faced) onto the remaining GMs and coaches in the league.

I can just as easily proclaim you are wishfully thinking to support your narrative but I'm trying to be more respectful given our posting history. If you want to talk down to me further have the last word.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:02 pm

I haven't been in MN for more than 2 months in 7 years. I am not a diehard fan to any degree. This has nothing to do with wanting anything and you are clearly projecting your own assumptions (despite all the stats and hurdles he has faced) onto the remaining GMs and coaches in the league.

I can just as easily proclaim you are wishfully thinking to support your narrative but I'm trying to be more respectful given our posting history. If you want to talk down to me further have the last word.
Certainly possible.

Hey, if the Steelers want him, please let him go.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Certainly possible.

I'd be fine with a trade ftr. It may not happen and let's face it trades in the NFL are not all that common. I'm an optimist but I expressed no lofty expectations for this year before it began. I think I had them pegged for 7-9 wins.

But I learned long ago that for Vikings fans their favorite QB was always the backup and now with Kirk it feels like the same thing repeating itself. I fully understand his limitations. I do. But imagine if any of their other issues were solved how many more wins would this team have? Again we're talking about pass protection, OC, HC, a 30th ranked defense that continually gives up points late in the half. No one can argue Kirk can't win a big game because quite frankly the rest of the team doesn't allow for it to happen and often in situations when he put them in position to win. Football games nor any component within don't exist in a vacuum.

Cheers.
Last edited by Slap Shot on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Certainly possible.

I'd be fine with a trade ftr. It may not happen and let's face it trades in the NFL are not all that common. I'm an optimist but I expressed no lofty expectations for this year before it began. I think I had them pegged for 7-9 wins.

But I learned long ago that for Vikings fans their favorite QB was always the backup and now with Kirk it feels like the same thing repeating itself. I fully understand his limitations. I do. But imagine if any of their other issues were solved how many more wins would this team have? Again we're talking about pass protection, OC, HC, a 30th ranked defense that continually gives up points late in the half. No one can argue Kirk can't win a big game because quite frankly the rest of the team doesn't allow for it to happen and often in situations when he put them in position to win. Football games don't exist in a vacuum.

Cheers.
So what you are describing is Kirk needs a perfect team and maybe he can succeed. :lol:

Never going to get that team with how much money his makes and he's not worth that kind of money if he can't mask any of your holes.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Certainly possible.

But I learned long ago that for Vikings fans their favorite QB was always the backup and now with Kirk it feels like the same thing repeating itself. I fully understand his limitations. I do. But imagine if any of their other issues were solved how many more wins would this team have? Again we're talking about pass protection, OC, HC, a 30th ranked defense that continually gives up points late in the half. No one can argue Kirk can't win a big game because quite frankly the rest of the team doesn't allow for it to happen and often in situations when he put them in position to win. Football games don't exist in a vacuum.

Cheers.
So what you are describing is Kirk needs a perfect team and maybe he can succeed. :lol:

Never going to get that team with how much money his makes and he's not worth that kind of money if he can't mask any of your holes.
Does he need a perfect team or one that is not totally dysfunctional in just about every way possible? Fucking A solve for just some of the OL, OC, HC and asshole defense and they have at least 2 more wins if not 3. Again how many QBs have this team competing for the division title with GB?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Cheers.

Does he need a perfect team or one that is not totally dysfunctional in just about every way possible? Again how many QBs have this team competing for the division title with GB?
I mean, even in 2018 when GB wasn't good with Rodgers, he couldn't take the division from Mitch Trubisky. Was that team dysfunctional that just came off a NFCC appearance?

I also think dysfunctional is the wrong word. I don't think anything like that is going on. I simply just don't think the team is very talented.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Cheers.

Does he need a perfect team or one that is not totally dysfunctional in just about every way possible? Fucking A solve for just some of the OL, OC, HC and asshole defense and they have at least 2 more wins if not 3. Again how many QBs have this team competing for the division title with GB?
And to answer your question? Yes.

He not only needs a perfect team around him but he needs every situation on the field to be perfect has well. He can't play ball when things are going against him and he has to improvise. Something the good QBs do.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 pm

He not only needs a perfect team around him but he needs every situation on the field to be perfect has well. He can't play ball when things are going against him and he has to improvise. Something the good QBs do.
Bullshit. You claim he needs perfection so let me ask:

How many teams have won 2 playoff games in row with a 30th ranked defense and an ass HC just for starters?

Or a team with a revolving door at OC and a shit OL?

Or a defense that can't stop anyone after the 2 minute warning and has never had a FG kicker worth a shit?

Perfection? jfc how about just the bare minimum?

jfc not one of you have made a logical and contextual argument against him, just emotional and over reactionary.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:41 pm

How many teams have won 2 playoff games in row with a 30th ranked defense and an ass HC just for starters?

Or a defense that can't stop anyone after the 2 minute warning and has never had a FG kicker worth a shit?

jfc not one of you have made a logical and contextual argument against him, just emotional and over reactionary.
Did they have the 30th ranked defense in 2018 when he took them to a glorious 8-7-1? That defense was ranked in the top 5.

This isn't his first year here. Almost half a decade. He is who we thought he was. A loser.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:58 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Did they have the 30th ranked defense in 2018 when he took them to a glorious 8-7-1? That defense was ranked in the top 5.

This isn't his first year here. Almost half a decade. He is who we thought he was. A loser.
Answer the questions - how many teams have won 2 playoff games in row with a 30th ranked defense and an ass HC just for starters?

While in MN: 68.9%, 116 TD, 32 INT, 15,519 YDS, 7.7 AVE, 104.2 RTG

But yeah you have that 1 season. :lol: