Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

If Spielman Has Half A Brain, Cousins Is In Purple Next Season

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oscar

If Spielman Has Half A Brain, Cousins Is In Purple Next Season

Post by Oscar »

Keenum had a career year. He will never produce those numbers again.

Bradford is unreliable, can’t stay healthy.

Bridgewater is a game manager at best with a bum knee.

Cousins is the answer.

Play to win not play not to lose.
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Clubhouseleader

Re: If Spielman Has Half A Brain, Cousins Is In Purple Next Season

Post by Clubhouseleader »

I agree. You can’t be taken seriously if you go into next year with teddy as the starter
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Cousins sucks. He's won nothing and the few chances he has, he has stunk it up ala last year last game of the year to make playoffs and year before in the playoffs against GB. He's not good. I'm not a fan of what we have either but I'm not giving this guy a huge contract.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Spielman doesn't have a brain.

His most successful players are people he never drafted.

His least successful players are his first round picks.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

He will cost a huge amount of money. PFT stated he gets 34 million next year if Washington uses the franchise tag. He won't take a huge drop for a long term deal.
In Kwesi we trust.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm He will cost a huge amount of money. PFT stated he gets 34 million next year if Washington uses the franchise tag. He won't take a huge drop for a long term deal.
I doubt Washington franchises him. They seem to be ready to move on from him. They don't want to pay him either. Who ever signs this guy long-term, won't be happy in about 2 years.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
brison
***Official Gibby Award Winner - July and September 2018***

Post by brison »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm He will cost a huge amount of money. PFT stated he gets 34 million next year if Washington uses the franchise tag. He won't take a huge drop for a long term deal.
He's not going to cost anywhere near that yearly once on a long term deal.
Tom Selleck is a twat
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Face The Facts wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm Spielman doesn't have a brain.

His most successful players are people he never drafted.

His least successful players are his first round picks.
Two all pros in the first round...
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Except that's not how contracts work. You would expect the average number to drop on a long term deal vs. a one year franchise tag tender.

That being said, I'm weary of Cousins. Jay Gruden is actually one of the more underrated offensive coaches/player callers in the league, and by that, I mean he's one of the very best yet not recognized as such.

I fear that Cousins will struggle the moment he leaves Gruden.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Cousin Kurt has won how many playoff games?? How many division titles?? OH wait its the coaching and lack of a slot receiver. got it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

couldn't think of a much worse solution to the QB question than this one. maybe signing bradford to a multi-year deal with plenty of the money guaranteed and i'm pretty sure that's not an option for the team.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm Cousin Kurt has won how many playoff games?? How many division titles?? OH wait its the coaching and lack of a slot receiver. got it.
I don't think just because a QB hasn't won a playoff game, it means he's somehow not a good football player. Our QB this past season proves that past performance on a completely different team doesn't have a ton of bearing for what he will do on your team.

Matthew Stafford hasn't won a playoff game, and he's very well respected by NFL people (I get that some Rubes might think he's not a good QB) as one of the better QB's in the NFL despite his team's lack of success.

Fans recognize and understand that football is a team game, yet they talk about QB's as if this is basketball and you need to be able to single-handedly carry their teams if they want to be considered good players.

That being said, I agree, I am weary of Cousins, but isn't because of his playoff record.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Romo was well respected too. Fact is not all skilled QB's know how to win a game or have the competitive guts to take it to another level. Strategy or being a "gamer" are talents that are often overlooked in a great QB. Just because you can complete a 70 yard touchdown pass or throw 75% completions doesn't mean you know how to win a game.
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

Rick has a full brain so therefore Cousins will not be in purple
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Lots of teams with a lot of cap space and lots of teams desperate at the QB position.. doesn't bode well for Cousins landing here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Style

Post by Style »

Yup. It's just that easy. All our GM needs is a half a brain to get the best QB on the market.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Post by Style »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm Rick has a full brain so therefore Cousins will not be in purple
:lol: :thumbsup:
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:51 pm Romo was well respected too. Fact is not all skilled QB's know how to win a game or have the competitive guts to take it to another level. Strategy or being a "gamer" are talents that are often overlooked in a great QB. Just because you can complete a 70 yard touchdown pass or throw 75% completions doesn't mean you know how to win a game.
What does that mean though?

This kind of talk is just fan-speak.

It's not Tony Romo's fault the refs decided Dez Bryant's catch against the Packers in the playoffs wasn't a catch. Not Stafford's fault that the refs decided to call everything against them the game before against Dallas. It's not either of their fault that neither of their GM's can field a decent defense.

I disagree with you about the "gamer" thing. I think that's a very overrated thing. It's something fans come up with in their heads to try to explain what ultimately happened on the field, when in reality, it was actually one or several of the 10,000 other things that go into deciding who wins a football game.

I don't believe in the myth that a QB can be dominant during the regular season, and just because it doesn't result in a Super Bowl victory, that somehow that QB is somehow lacking some big clutch gene. Both Stafford and Romo rank very highly on the list of QB's in terms of 4th quarter comeback victories, so they have proven to be clutch in big moments, it simply didn't work out in the end.

Hell, if you're looking for this mythical, never-fails in the clutch QB, you basically are only talking about one person: TB12.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The refs are responsible for wins and losses yes; but not for talent. A QB's decision making plays huge. How they read a defense and what they do with the ball under pressure. For sure a lot of variables come into play during a game but those variables are taking place during the course of a game because of the decisions made by the players....the QB's decisions play into the game more than any other position.

I don't see KC as a better option than CK.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 pm The refs are responsible for wins and losses yes; but not for talent. A QB's decision making plays huge. How they read a defense and what they do with the ball under pressure. For sure a lot of variables come into play during a game but those variables are taking place during the course of a game because of the decisions made by the players....the QB's decisions play into the game more than any other position.

I don't see KC as a better option than CK.
Yes, that's correct.

I wasn't arguing against a good QB needing to know how to make decisions, read defenses and play well under pressure. Those are obvious things that a QB needs to do.

My point was that when a QB displays those things all season, but his team comes up short in the playoffs, it has more to do with the shortcomings of the team itself than it is the QB lacking some sort of "clutch playoff gene." That whole idea is a myth, especially when you are talking about two of the better 4th quarter comeback QB's in the past decade.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm Paying Cousins what he's likely going to get paid makes me nervous. I'm not sure what the right answer is going to be.

Bradford - no
Teddy - yes, if they retain him I trust the doctors, training staff, and coaches believe he can get back to form
Keenum - maybe, franchise tag would feel better than a long term deal.
Brees - Shoot for the moon, why not? Doubt he comes here
Cousins - Will get a franchise QB contract, but is too inconsistent for me to feel comfortable with.

Idk, I guess if we can't get someone like Brees on a Favre like deal, I'm for signing Teddy, franchising Case, and drafting a rookie in the mid to upper rounds of the draft if the right guy is there.
I agree with this take. And what about Transition tag for Keenum? Wouldn't that be cheaper and if he wanted to go elsewhere Vikings would get draft picks.

Or Transition tag one of them?
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Maybe for another thread but I do trust Sam Bradfords knee over Teddy Bridgewaters knee. In other words TB's injury was way more severe. Not only that Sam throws one hell of a nice ball.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Except that's not how contracts work. You would expect the average number to drop on a long term deal vs. a one year franchise tag tender.

That being said, I'm weary of Cousins. Jay Gruden is actually one of the more underrated offensive coaches/player callers in the league, and by that, I mean he's one of the very best yet not recognized as such.

I fear that Cousins will struggle the moment he leaves Gruden.
What's the number? Certainly higher than Case and Case outplayed him head to head and during the season.

I'm all for bringing in a franchise QB but he isn't that. I would rather roll the dice with Teddy.
In Kwesi we trust.
VikingsVoice

Post by VikingsVoice »

Cousins is capable of carrying the offense through the air. He'd be a great fit into what should be an incredibly balanced offense that doesn't ask him to be a hero. He'll have better WR's and RB's than he's ever had in his career.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Deep Purple wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm Maybe for another thread but I do trust Sam Bradfords knee over Teddy Bridgewaters knee. In other words TB's injury was way more severe. Not only that Sam throws one hell of a nice ball.
They both are risks for sure but yeah, Sam has an arm that Teddy will never have period and as Zimmer said, people just don't come back from this type of injury so the likelihood that he not only recovers but also improves to where he even gets to where Case is right now and then manages to stay healthy on that knee for an extended period of time is just not going to happen. And I believe the coaches that actually worked with him on a daily basis know this which is why he was inactive for the playoffs.
In Kwesi we trust.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

VikingsVoice wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm Cousins is capable of carrying the offense through the air. He'd be a great fit into what should be an incredibly balanced offense that doesn't ask him to be a hero. He'll have better WR's and RB's than he's ever had in his career.
Then he will get us to the playoffs and throw 4 picks. Cousins is a stat padding, fantasy football QB. He will win you NOTHING when it matters. Same with Alex Smith but he usually doesn't even have the hollow stats. Stay away from these two!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm
VikingsVoice wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm Cousins is capable of carrying the offense through the air. He'd be a great fit into what should be an incredibly balanced offense that doesn't ask him to be a hero. He'll have better WR's and RB's than he's ever had in his career.
Then he will get us to the playoffs and throw 4 picks. Cousins is a stat padding, fantasy football QB. He will win you NOTHING when it matters. Same with Alex Smith but he usually doesn't even have the hollow stats. Stay away from these two!
Jay Gruden is a huge underrated aspect of this all. He is one of the best offensive minds in football and is one of the best play callers in football. Cousins has benefitted greatly from Gruden, and I'd be nervous that he won't produce the same without him.

Look at Andy Dalton. Gruden's final season in Cincy was the 2013 season, when Andy Dalton had a career season 4300 yards/33 TDs. That following offseason, Gruden was hired to be the HC of Washington and Dalton has never replicated those 2013 since then.

I'm not saying Cousins isn't good, but the Gruden factor is a thing.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:29 pm
twgerber wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 pm
Abe, our supreme and glorious ruler,, our supreme and glorious ruler, Froman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm Paying Cousins what he's likely going to get paid makes me nervous. I'm not sure what the right answer is going to be.

Bradford - no
Teddy - yes, if they retain him I trust the doctors, training staff, and coaches believe he can get back to form
Keenum - maybe, franchise tag would feel better than a long term deal.
Brees - Shoot for the moon, why not? Doubt he comes here
Cousins - Will get a franchise QB contract, but is too inconsistent for me to feel comfortable with.

Idk, I guess if we can't get someone like Brees on a Favre like deal, I'm for signing Teddy, franchising Case, and drafting a rookie in the mid to upper rounds of the draft if the right guy is there.
I agree with this take. And what about Transition tag for Keenum? Wouldn't that be cheaper and if he wanted to go elsewhere Vikings would get draft picks.

Or Transition tag one of them?
The transition tag would be a good option for Case.
They were saying on NFLN (I'm not a great free agency rule mind) that with the recent changes made to the transition tag its now essentially no different than the franchise tag so it's not really used anymore like it once was. I thought that was interesting.
In Kwesi we trust.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

I would think they would sign Case to the non exclusive franchise tag. After reading up on that, he would be free to negotiate with other teams and if he signs elsewhere then we would get 2-#1 draft picks.
In Kwesi we trust.
Djking

Post by Djking »

I'm all for it. This team has a small 2-3 yr window left with this current group. Cousins basically unseated RG3 after being drafted 4 rounds later by mistake. And now they won't let him go. He is a gamer and is carrying that sorry team and they know it. He is worth 25-30 mil a season in this market. After 2020 the window closes again on this team unless Spielman hits the lottery these next few drafts. Might as well go all in and see if we can get one. This team is built to win games. They just need a QB that takes them over the top.

But...

There will guaranteed at least be 5 other teams willing to pay top dollar in the mix. So who knows if he would even want to play here. Maybe he rather stay warm in Jacksonville or Arizona or if he has to freeze do it in Denver. They are similar situation to us. And then there is Cleveland.

Brees is my second choice if he becomes available I'd offer same for him on a 1-2yr deal.

Otherwise it's just hope we can squeeze another miracle season out of someone with upside. Teddy is the big unknown. I thought the kid played with guts and think he is capable of being better than Case. Draft a QB in the 1st if you like one. And hope one of them pans out. With Sloter the wild card developmental QB.