Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wonder why this team is in the state it's in?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Face The Facts

Re: Wonder why this team is in the state it's in?

Post by Face The Facts »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:44 pm Lol

The "Top 12 GM record" really makes me giggle.

You can't argue since Spielman took over, the Vikings haven't done much.

They also had the worse era in my lifetime (Ponder era) and are looking really bad right now.
No, non-owner GM has kept their job this long without making a Super Bowl.

Good job, Rick.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

They also had the worse era in my lifetime (Ponder era) and are looking really bad right now.
THe Ponder era only was three years, including one of those that they made the playoffs. Ponder's 3rd year, which he missed the entire 2nd half, was a 3-13 record with the 32nd defense in the NFL. Out of 32 teams. Dead Last. Down goes Frazier.

So, please, if that was the worse era of your lifetime you have done too much drinking.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:26 pm

THe Ponder era only was three years, including one of those that they made the playoffs. Ponder's 3rd year, which he missed the entire 2nd half, was a 3-13 record with the 32nd defense in the NFL. Out of 32 teams. Dead Last. Down goes Frazier.

So, please, if that was the worse era of your lifetime you have done too much drinking.
Tell me a worse era from the late 80's onward.

Ponder made the playoffs because we had one of the greatest football players who ever graced the field. We all knew they couldn't do anything once they got there that year.

Spielman sucks and so does Zimrod.

Tell me your excuses for the half decade of first rounders.

It's shit!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:26 pm

Make your excuses but look at the track record.. What has Rick won here?

Again longest running GM who hasn't sniffed a SB

I love that we are the middle of the pack with Rick! :naners:

It's time to clean house. The ones who blame Rick and not Zimmer are just as moronic. It's time for a clean sweep.

I do believe Rick will keep his job and Zimmer will go but I also believe we will see the same shit afterwards.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:02 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:54 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:46 pm

How did he bungled it? Are you fn serious? :lol:

Ponder set the franchise back multiple fn years. Teddie was some bad luck, but do we think Teddie is an upper echelon qb? I don't, and injury had nothing to do with that. Then, pre injury we couldn't even honestly evaluate him because the trash ol your boy put in front of him.

You bring up Shaun Hill, how about that as another example? For F sakes half the time our back up qb wasn't even on the roster til mid Aug. Go look over some of the garbage we have had for backups with no plan at all.

Trading for Bradford. Signing the most ol dependant good qb of all time and then not bothering to you know, give him a quality ol?

You keep laughingly referencing the "12th best record" nonsense. I already proved that is more due to Zim than RS. For God sakes all one has to do is look at the qbs Zim has won with, including Case fn Keenum.

Can I stop now, I'm a little winded. :lol:
Claim: "Ponder set the franchise back multiple fn years."

While this isn't any defense of the Christian Ponder draft pick, a pick I disliked at the time (I would have traded down and preferred Andy Dalton >>> Christian Ponder) claiming this set the franchise back multiple fucking years is a complete falsehood.

In Ponder's rookie season the team was 3-13, but Donovan McNabb was the starter for the first 6 games of the season and the team went 1-5. In the middle sections of the season when Ponder became the rookie starter Adrian Peterson was having nagging injuries and missed several games.

In Ponder's 2nd season the team went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Of course, this team was built on Adrian Peterson running the ball but Ponder played well at times, including the last game of the season vs. the Packers. WHo knows what woudl have happened if he would have started the encore game in the playoffs against the Packers instead of Joe Webb.

Ponder's 3rd season he only started 9 games due to injury. Peterson only rushed for 1,266 yards (in 14 games) versus 2,097 the year before. But what really killed the team in Leslie Frazier's last season as a head coach was the defense. The offense was in the middle of the pack in points scored (with Ponder and Cassell as QBs), 8th in rushing and even 23rd in passing yards, but our defense was 32nd in points given up. 31st in pass defense. The defense gave up 30 or more points in 8 games.

So, claiming that Ponder set the team back multiple years is completey wrong.
Good Lord. The lengths you will go to to defend a silly take is absurd.

He was a terrible fucking qb, period. In spite of that, somehow, we won 10 games. What do we do with an avg qb? Wasted year. 3 seasons wasted on a bad qb, and a high draft choice gone. Now, we have to spend another 1st rounder in year 4 on a qb.

How you can possibly defend that drafting Ponder wasted several years ia beyond me.
I don’t usually ever want to condone or agree with a troll, but in this case Hate is right. He has nailed this entire thread. Mlhouse and Ash need to seriously let go of their love of Rick Spielman and stop acting like your takes are correct or that you are experts. Your attachment to RS is making any take you make reek of homerism. Ash’s response for quarterbacks and general manager is the same ever year,

“If you want a quarterback tell me who you would draft... now let me write four paragraphs about a guy we won’t take in the draft and somehow connect this all to RS being a genius.”

MLhouse is pretty respected here by Hate, but in this thread Hate has been right. The entire time during Bradford and Cousins, Hate has been consistent. He has written a million threads analyzing our offensive line woes. He has given solutions, and while slamming posters, he has been right. Sadly more right than Rube or Ash.

Mlhouse, don’t let him own you. Ponder sucked. Redeem yourself by giving this thread your take on how you would have handled the quarterback position. You love to defend bad takes by RS as they were “obvious” solutions at the time. You then make excuses for why the moves failed, but Hate owned you because he has been consistent on the offensive line issue all along.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Face The Facts wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 pm

No, non-owner GM has kept their job this long without making a Super Bowl.

Good job, Rick.
During Rick’s time here the Packers have fires two GM’s who won Super Bowls haven’t they?
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

cunningham wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:25 am

While this isn't any defense of the Christian Ponder draft pick, a pick I disliked at the time (I would have traded down and preferred Andy Dalton >>> Christian Ponder) claiming this set the franchise back multiple fucking years is a complete falsehood.

In Ponder's rookie season the team was 3-13, but Donovan McNabb was the starter for the first 6 games of the season and the team went 1-5. In the middle sections of the season when Ponder became the rookie starter Adrian Peterson was having nagging injuries and missed several games.

In Ponder's 2nd season the team went 10-6 and made the playoffs. Of course, this team was built on Adrian Peterson running the ball but Ponder played well at times, including the last game of the season vs. the Packers. WHo knows what woudl have happened if he would have started the encore game in the playoffs against the Packers instead of Joe Webb.

Ponder's 3rd season he only started 9 games due to injury. Peterson only rushed for 1,266 yards (in 14 games) versus 2,097 the year before. But what really killed the team in Leslie Frazier's last season as a head coach was the defense. The offense was in the middle of the pack in points scored (with Ponder and Cassell as QBs), 8th in rushing and even 23rd in passing yards, but our defense was 32nd in points given up. 31st in pass defense. The defense gave up 30 or more points in 8 games.

He was a terrible fucking qb, period. In spite of that, somehow, we won 10 games. What do we do with an avg qb? Wasted year. 3 seasons wasted on a bad qb, and a high draft choice gone. Now, we have to spend another 1st rounder in year 4 on a qb.

How you can possibly defend that drafting Ponder wasted several years ia beyond me.
I don’t usually ever want to condone or agree with a troll, but in this case Hate is right. He has nailed this entire thread. Mlhouse and Ash need to seriously let go of their love of Rick Spielman and stop acting like your takes are correct or that you are experts. Your attachment to RS is making any take you make reek of homerism. Ash’s response for quarterbacks and general manager is the same ever year,

“If you want a quarterback tell me who you would draft... now let me write four paragraphs about a guy we won’t take in the draft and somehow connect this all to RS being a genius.”

MLhouse is pretty respected here by Hate, but in this thread Hate has been right. The entire time during Bradford and Cousins, Hate has been consistent. He has written a million threads analyzing our offensive line woes. He has given solutions, and while slamming posters, he has been right. Sadly more right than Rube or Ash.

Mlhouse, don’t let him own you. Ponder sucked. Redeem yourself by giving this thread your take on how you would have handled the quarterback position. You love to defend bad takes by RS as they were “obvious” solutions at the time. You then make excuses for why the moves failed, but Hate owned you because he has been consistent on the offensive line issue all along.
A troll, huh, bud? You are a treat. You sure do come up with some weird shit. I have mostly left you alone - I mean you have your hands full with Corky so I figure leave the dude alone, as yes its a simpleton deserving to be hammered, but ol Corks doing it 24-7 is enough. Don't make me put you back on my radar.

Lastly, never ever ever agree on a take with me. Thanks.
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

The only reason why we're a "TOP 12" team is because we got to play Detroit twice a season every season.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:25 am

Again, the actual facts speak for themselves. Having the 12th best record over a decade isn't the worst thing in the world and the fact is, the teams with the top quarterbacks were in the top 5-6 positions.

But, the real problem with your statement is "I don't love to defend Rick Spielman's bad takes". Go back to the KFAN archives, if you can, and see that on draft day I preferred Andy Dalton over Christian Ponder. I would have traded down in the first round. I get they were afraid someone would "snipe" Ponder, but then you jsut draft Dalton or Kaepernick. While I think it is defensible to prefer Ponder to Dalton, or Kaepernick for that matter, there is no way that Ponder was more valuable than Dalton PLUS the significant draft value we would have got from trading down.

There is one way to become a decade top 5 team that is a true Super Bowl contender with few exceptions: draft a HOF level quarterback who never gets hurt. Peyton Manning. Tom Brady. Drew Brees. Russell Wilson. Aaron Rodgers. Ben Roethlisberger. Eli Manning.

In the past 10 years here are the Super Bowl matchups:

Drew Brees v. Peyton Manning (1)
Aaron Rodgers v. Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning(1) v. Tom Brady (1)
Kaepernick v. Joe Flacco (WHAT???)
Russell Wilson (1) v. Peyton Manning (2)
Russell WIlson(2) v. Tom Brady (2)
Cam Netwon v. Peyton Manning (3)
Matt Ryan v. Tom Brady (3)
Nick Foles v. Tom Brady (4)
Jared Goff v. Tom Brady (5)
Garrafolo v. Mahomes

I think in the last Super Bowl represents the beginning of the changing of the guard in the NFL but in the decade prior to that, the AFC was represented by Tom Brady or Peyton Manning 8 out of 10 years. The 2019 AFC Championship represented breaking a streak of 8 consecutive years the Patriots made the conference championship game.

Dominant quarterbacks dominate the wins.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I remember the press conference when Slick Rick got the GM job. He said the buck stops with him.............so there it is.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Night Train wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:48 am Because in 1961 the NFL expanded and gave Minnesota a team. It's been here ever since.
That was my first take as well.

Thanks Calvin Griffith!...... :D
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them