Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Arthur Smith, OC from Titans

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Arthur Smith, OC from Titans

Post by Oriole81 »

For posters who know how to scout coaching candidates, what do you think of this guy?

I really think the Titans are the blueprint for what we are supposed to be (great defense, elite run game that sets up the pass and utilizes a non-blue chip QB but knows how best to utilize), and I really think he has alot to do with it.

Prior to him taking over in 2019, Derrick Henry showed flashes but never seemed to put it all together. Then last year Smith designs the perfect offense to maximize Henry's strengths, which turns him into one of the best in the league.

His offensive staff turned 3rd rd pick OG last year Nate Davis into a supremely good player already. We take Samia in that same range relatively, and he's the worst in the league.

He also resurrects Ryan Tannehill's career and designs the QB play around his strengths. If we fall into the 6-10 range in the draft (which we may have to start anticipating) and have to "settle" for Zach Wilson as QB of the future, are we in a better position because we have a HC that has specifically worked with a QB that isn't at the top of the boards, and has been able to maximize his ability?

I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this guy.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
chris_numbers

Re: Arthur Smith, OC from Titans

Post by chris_numbers »

If we have to settle for anyone other than Trevor or Fields then take the best olineman. Dont reach for another ponder.
Is it bad that I hate all of you even though I’ve never met you?
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 am For posters who know how to scout coaching candidates, what do you think of this guy?

I really think the Titans are the blueprint for what we are supposed to be (great defense, elite run game that sets up the pass and utilizes a non-blue chip QB but knows how best to utilize), and I really think he has alot to do with it.

Prior to him taking over in 2019, Derrick Henry showed flashes but never seemed to put it all together. Then last year Smith designs the perfect offense to maximize Henry's strengths, which turns him into one of the best in the league.

His offensive staff turned 3rd rd pick OG last year Nate Davis into a supremely good player already. We take Samia in that same range relatively, and he's the worst in the league.

He also resurrects Ryan Tannehill's career and designs the QB play around his strengths. If we fall into the 6-10 range in the draft (which we may have to start anticipating) and have to "settle" for Zach Wilson as QB of the future, are we in a better position because we have a HC that has specifically worked with a QB that isn't at the top of the boards, and has been able to maximize his ability?

Sorry, I know nothing about him.

Interesting thoughts, and may be an avenue to pursue. While I am ok with Zim going, I do like that sort of plan and its proof Zim's "plan" can and does at times work, but obviously Tennessee is much better at executing it.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

chris_numbers wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:26 pm If we have to settle for anyone other than Trevor or Fields then take the best olineman. Dont reach for another ponder.
Fair enough.
Let's say we draft Sewell or Wyatt Davis.
We still need a franchise QB though and we don't have a 2nd rd pick, so what would you suggest we do next?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 pm
chris_numbers wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:26 pm If we have to settle for anyone other than Trevor or Fields then take the best olineman. Dont reach for another ponder.
Fair enough.
We still need a franchise QB though and we don't have a 2nd rd pick, so what would you suggest we do next?
I agree with Chris. I am not taking a qb just to take a qb. If we cant reasonably get the top 2 - and I dont think we can - then I either DFA Cousins June 1 and sign a guy like Fitzpatrick and take a flyer on a qb late with notion 22 I am signing a qb or drafting one high, OR I maybe even consider sticking with Cousins one more year.

I then trade down from top 10. I want two #1 picks. Or move down to like 17 and get two 2nd rd picks. I draft best G in the draft and probably go DT with other.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Fair enough.
I agree with Chris. I am not taking a qb just to take a qb. If we cant reasonably get the top 2 - and I dont think we can - then I either DFA Cousins June 1 and sign a guy like Fitzpatrick and take a flyer on a qb late with notion 22 I am signing a qb or drafting one high, OR I maybe even consider sticking with Cousins one more year.

I then trade down from top 10. I want two #1 picks. Or move down to like 17 and get two 2nd rd picks. I draft best G in the draft and probably go DT with other.
To be honest, taking Wilson really wasn't my main point but actually could go to support the overall theme of the thread, which is that Arthur Smith should be a target.

Let's say we don't go QB in the 1st and instead make a move up on Day 2 to take someone like Trask or Mac Jones...is having Arthur Smith as our HC give that QB target an advantage in hitting his peak? It may so.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
chris_numbers

Post by chris_numbers »

Fair enough.
Ugh....what about that kid from Bama. He looked good.

Trade down picks, get the 2nd back.

Take the beat olineman and then the kid from bama.
Is it bad that I hate all of you even though I’ve never met you?
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I don’t know a lot about this guy’s scheme or whatever, but he’s young and obviously offensive minded, so I’d be okay with this hire.

Some of the Titans’ offensive success has been due to them having talent on offense. AJB is a stud. Corey Davis — though much maligned because he was a Top 5 draft pick — is also a good player. Jonnu Smith is one of the most talented tight ends in the league, and then obviously you have Henry.

But as mentioned in the OP, the blueprint is similar there to what the Vikes want to do, so I’d entertain it.

Personally, Brady excites me more, but I don’t know enough to know if he should.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I can’t speak too knowledgeably about Smith.

But the general theory of cleaning house and getting an offensive guy if we’re going to draft a young QB is sound.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

I can understand that you only like the top 2 but to imply that everyone else is therefore a ponder is not fair. Ponder had a third round grade according to some (even they turned out to be too optimistic)
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Fair enough.

To be honest, taking Wilson really wasn't my main point but actually could go to support the overall theme of the thread, which is that Arthur Smith should be a target.

Let's say we don't go QB in the 1st and instead make a move up on Day 2 to take someone like Trask or Mac Jones...is having Arthur Smith as our HC give that QB target an advantage in hitting his peak? It may so.
I hear your point but the goal shouldn’t be to have a coach who can get the most out of an Average qb. I want one who can get greatness out of a franchise qb. Is arthur smith that guy or is he more of a “creating a good game manager qb” guy? I don’t know.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Keep Patterson to run the D and get an offensive minded HC, whether this guy or Eric Bieniemy.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 pm

I hear your point but the goal shouldn’t be to have a coach who can get the most out of an Average qb. I want one who can get greatness out of a franchise qb. Is arthur smith that guy or is he more of a “creating a good game manager qb” guy? I don’t know.
I don't know either. I'm just trying to come up with an additional name that could be of interest come Feb.
I had a couple of thoughts here though...

*I'm no QB guru but just because Wilson wasn't in the Lawrence/Fields/Lance derby going into this season doesn't mean he can't be thought of as a future franchise QB. First off, he was injured most of last year after hand surgery, so he didn't get as much of an opportunity to shine as Fields or Lance did, so who's to say that had circumstances changed that he wouldn't have been in that same tier going into this year?

Secondly, there's been plenty of recent QBs that have come out of nowhere their final season and risen into the first round, that have become successful to very successful in the NFL.
Examples of guys that were not projected 1st rd picks in the beginning of the year are:

Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, PATRICK MAHOMES, Baker Mayfield (maybe??) Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Joe Flacco

*Regarding whether Smith can get greatness out of someone like Fields (if we were to move up) vs going with someone like Wilson and looking for a Tannehill-like success, I don't know if that is something that anyone can know. With the current trend of hiring these young offensive minds that don't have significant real experience, it comes with a lot of projection and faith to be honest.

But in contrast, who's to say that Eric Bienemi is any better of a candidate just because he's worked with Patrick Mahomes? Who knows where Bienemi's influence actually came in compared to Andy Reid, as well as how much of that is just Mahomes' natural ability and intangibles? At least Arthur Smith worked under a defensive HC in Vrabel, so I think it's pretty clear that you can identify the specific influence that he brought to the Tennessee offense.
Can that influence translate to turning Justin Fields (if we're able to move up for) into a superstar? I don't know, but as with most of these hires, it comes with a leap of faith.

Disclaimer:
I'm not trying to say Zach Wilson is a franchise QB to be or that Arthur Smith should be at the top of our coaching list, I'm just trying to create a dialogue and think outside of the box.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 am

I don't know either. I'm just trying to come up with an additional name that could be of interest come Feb.

*I'm no QB guru but just because Wilson wasn't in the Lawrence/Fields/Lance derby going into this season doesn't mean he can't be thought of as a future franchise QB. First off, he was injured most of last year after hand surgery, so he didn't get as much of an opportunity to shine as Fields or Lance did, so who's to say that had circumstances changed that he wouldn't have been in that same tier going into this year?

Secondly, there's been plenty of recent QBs that have come out of nowhere their final season and risen into the first round, that have become successful to very successful in the NFL.
Examples of guys that were not projected 1st rd picks in the beginning of the year are:

Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, PATRICK MAHOMES, Baker Mayfield (maybe??) Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Joe Flacco

*Regarding whether Smith can get greatness out of someone like Fields (if we were to move up) vs going with someone like Wilson and looking for a Tannehill-like success, I don't know if that is something that anyone can know. With the current trend of hiring these young offensive minds that don't have significant real experience, it comes with a lot of projection and faith to be honest.

But in contrast, who's to say that Eric Bienemi is any better of a candidate just because he's worked with Patrick Mahomes? Who knows where Bienemi's influence actually came in compared to Andy Reid, as well as how much of that is just Mahomes' natural ability and intangibles? At least Arthur Smith worked under a defensive HC in Vrabel, so I think it's pretty clear that you can identify the specific influence that he brought to the Tennessee offense.
Can that influence translate to turning Justin Fields (if we're able to move up for) into a superstar? I don't know, but as with most of these hires, it comes with a leap of faith.

Disclaimer:
I'm not trying to say Zach Wilson is a franchise QB to be or that Arthur Smith should be at the top of our coaching list, I'm just trying to create a dialogue and think outside of the box.
I really like Wilson but that is not the point of the thread as you noted.

Bienemi? I don't know. I want a creative mind. For example, I like Nagy (of the recent Reid tree). He is having trouble with his play calling but he is creative. He has some bad QBs.

The issue with Bienemi to me is that we already have experienced an OC from Reid and his name was Childress. That showed me that sometimes Reid is the kind of coach who wants his OC to be a manager. This means that Reid is the creative offensive mind calling the plays and Childress was the guy whose job it was to implement someone else's creativity.

Where is Bienemi? Is he of the Reid mold or the the Childress mold? If he is of the Reid mold, sign me up now (although first time coaches struggle).
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 am

Disclaimer:
I really like Wilson but that is not the point of the thread as you noted.

Bienemi? I don't know. I want a creative mind. For example, I like Nagy (of the recent Reid tree). He is having trouble with his play calling but he is creative. He has some bad QBs.

The issue with Bienemi to me is that we already have experienced an OC from Reid and his name was Childress. That showed me that sometimes Reid is the kind of coach who wants his OC to be a manager. This means that Reid is the creative offensive mind calling the plays and Childress was the guy whose job it was to implement someone else's creativity.

Where is Bienemi? Is he of the Reid mold or the the Childress mold? If he is of the Reid mold, sign me up now (although first time coaches struggle).
I name dropped Bienemi here because I hear his name probably the most in regards to current OCs ready to make the leap to HCs next year, but yeah you make a great point about Reid and how he uses his staff.
Now granted Doug Pedersen has come out of KC as well and been successful, so it really will be tough to project how Bienemi will be as a HC.

Lincoln Riley obviously would be fantastic, but I don't consider him a realistic get at this point.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Chromazz
Eats shit.

Post by Chromazz »

Is he gonna bring tannehill with him?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Chromazz wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 am Is he gonna bring tannehill with him?
Probably not, but the hope would be that he could come in with our young signal caller (whoever that ends up being) and have a similar affect.
Think back to Jared Goff, people were writing him off after his first season under Jeff Fisher. Then Sean McVay comes in and totally turns him around and straightens the ship.

And whether you like Goff or not long term, you can't argue that him on his rookie deal wasn't a huge part of them making that SB run.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

I never heard of this guy until the other day while listening to NFL Radio. And, like most here, I wouldn't be able to name the vast majority of NFL coordinators--defensive or offensive. Anyways, they mentioned he came from money--his father is the founder of Fed-Ex. But, even with a silver-spoon in his mouth, he's worked his way up from the bottom and that's to be respected. In regards to the OP, I'm not sure how much scheme had to do with D. Henry's emergence--I think it's more that they simply started giving him the ball late in 2018 and stopped going with that dumb-ass split between him and D. Lewis. I'm curios to see how the Titans go the rest of the year. They seemed to overcome the loss of Conklin in FA. They just lost Lewan to an ACL. Those are 2 very good tackles to replace.

Most intriguing to me, though, is the revival of Tannehill. Since taking over for Mariotta, his numbers have been superior. If Arthur Smith's input has been critical to his Tannehill's transformation, then Smith's name goes high up on the list of candidates if we're blowing this thing up.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Fun fact his dad founded FedEx
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This.

There are going to be some future HOFers sitting there at different positions. Don't just reach for a QB to take one.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

No knock to Arthur Smith but to the OP calling this "The blueprint"

Do you ever see the Titans winning it all with Tannehill and the way they play?

I don't. In fact i would wager they never see another AFCCG with this crew.

They are the epitome of a good team but not good enough. Reminds me of the 2017 Jags.

So no, I don't want to become the next version of these Titans.

Edit: Also if the Vikings want to play this way, they may want a RB who isn't on the verge of going out on any given play. Henry is pretty durable. You know how good they would look if Henry gets knocked out of the game? We set our whole game plan up every week around Dalvin and when he goes out, we completely fall apart and there is no plan. Brilliant!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:37 am No knock to Arthur Smith but to the OP calling this "The blueprint"

Do you ever see the Titans winning it all with Tannehill and the way they play?

I don't. In fact i would wager they never see another AFCCG with this crew.

They are the epitome of a good team but not good enough. Reminds me of the 2017 Jags.

So no, I don't want to become the next version of these Titans.

Edit: Also if the Vikings want to play this way, they may want a RB who isn't on the verge of going out on any given play. Henry is pretty durable. You know how good they would look if Henry gets knocked out of the game? We set our whole game plan up every week around Dalvin and when he goes out, we completely fall apart and there is no plan. Brilliant!
Do I think that a team designed with an opportunistic yet non-"star" QB, great running game, and very good and opportunistic defense can win a SB?
Absolutely, as I would point to Flacco and the Ravens, Foles and the Eagles, Peyton and the Broncos, Eli and the Giants.
Of recent, teams like that that have made a SB would also include Jimmy G and the 49ers, Goff and the Rams, Ryan and the Falcons.

Now the caveat here is that I consider Ryan Tannehill in this case to be a metaphor for the type of system QB that can thrive with the right coaching, and not necessarily Ryan Tannehill specifically. So if you're paying Ryan Tannehill $30M now which the Titans are doing, then I'll agree that you're going to be very hard pressed to get to a SB unless a lot of things bounce right, like what happened with Atl or SF.

BUT, if you take the coaching that Arthur Smith was able to do with Ryan Tannehill in TN and swap out Tannehill specifically for someone like Zach Wilson on a rookie contract, then the formula absolutely could work. You're banking on the fact that it's Smith here that is the difference maker and not Tannehill, and that he could bring that to a new team and a new QB.

We all saw what Dalvin was able to do yesterday, if we're to assume that the defense will take steps forward over the next few years and if we can add that to an offensive HC with a track record of building an offense around a "lesser" QB prospect like Wilson that we'll have cheap control of for the next 5 years...that STRATEGY can work.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 am For posters who know how to scout coaching candidates, what do you think of this guy?

I think that you're right in the fact that we need to look at an offensive minded coach.

The Titans defense is not great though. They are bottom half of the league.

I will say that Tannehill was never a bad QB. He played for an awful franchise and had one of the worst OLines in front of him. He's got a great line in front of him now. It's paying off for him. If he doesn't have time to throw, he looks avg at best.

Give me Bienemy or Riley with Fields or Lance and let's make some noise.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 am

I think that you're right in the fact that we need to look at an offensive minded coach.

The Titans defense is not great though. They are bottom half of the league.

I will say that Tannehill was never a bad QB. He played for an awful franchise and had one of the worst OLines in front of him. He's got a great line in front of him now. It's paying off for him. If he doesn't have time to throw, he looks avg at best.

Give me Bienemy or Riley with Fields or Lance and let's make some noise.
As I mentioned in my previous post--in basically a half-season, Tannehill has lost 2 'Pro-Bowl' talents at the tackle positions. I don't know anything about the game yesterday, other than the score and final stats. So, I don't know about pressures, etc... We'll see how Tennessee and Tanny shake out with the remaining schedule--they've got Chicago, Indy twice, and Balt in the next 4 weeks--tough defenses, all. Anyways, I think the 2nd half of the schedule is really gonna determine how high Arthur Smith gets on the 'hot list'.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

And I'll say again, I'm not claiming that Smith should be at the top of the list.
He's just not a name that I see thrown around alot, but I think he should be.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I have a terrible time even wanting to speculate on HC replacements during the season and not even knowing if the current HC is will be sent packing. Not saying others shouldn't, I just have to be way more of a spectator. It's double depressing prospect for me because as much as I have supported Zim in the past I just don't see this org becoming the next big thing without a fresh start from the staff.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

I think we are saying how important having a QB is.

Bill belichek went from tom Brady to another QB, an mvp QB, and is struggling big time. And he is regarded as one of if bot the best coach of all time.

Zimmer has made the playoffs with 3 different QBs while having a mountain of shit luck almost every year.

The guy can coach. Its Spielman that cant get his shit together at the most important position.