Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Who's our biggest competition for Trevor Lawrence?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings

Which losing team tanking with us to get Trevor?

Jets
89%
Jaguars
4%
Chargers
No votes
Broncos
No votes
Giants
No votes
Cowboys
No votes
Foosballs
4%
Falcons
4%
Eagles
No votes
Patriots
No votes

Total votes: 27

shoteh

Who's our biggest competition for Trevor Lawrence?

Post by shoteh »

It's almost half the season. Who's our biggest competition?
hategreenticemase

Re: Who's our biggest competition for Trevor Lawrence?

Post by hategreenticemase »

Let's get real on Lawrence. Unless they somehow manage to get someone to trade for Cousins they ain't getting top pick. Too much talent to lose out, or to only win one more and I don't sent them benching Cousins before he has won 1 or 2.

Would love to see it, but it ain't happening.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Every fucking team is still our biggest competition.

Not to mention the fact that there is still a team that is 0-7 and looks capable of running the table, there's also still 5 teams that have one win and another 6 teams that have 2.
And its pretty clear that these other teams aren't going away either.
The Giants blew their 4th quarter lead Thurs night to Philly
Atl blew their game at the end to Det
Cinci blew their lead at the end to Cle

This is far from a sure thing to get any of the Top 3, even if we try.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 am Every fucking team is still our biggest competition.

Not to mention the fact that there is still a team that is 0-7 and looks capable of running the table, there's also still 5 teams that have one win and another 6 teams that have 2.
And its pretty clear that these other teams aren't going away either.
The Giants blew their 4th quarter lead Thurs night to Philly
Atl blew their game at the end to Det
Cinci blew their lead at the end to Cle

This is far from a sure thing to get any of the Top 3, even if we try.
It's more likely we finish in the second 5 (6-10) than we do top 5. Trade Cousins and find a new injury for Harrison Smith, then we can talk top 2 or 3. Short of that, I think we are in 6-8 range.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Out of those teams, which won't take a QB? I think it's safe to say Cinci won't take a QB, Chargers and Broncos might not either. Everyone else might be in play. Dallas, Giants, Jets may be ready to move on from their young QBs and the Falcons will definitely look to replace Ryan. Minshew is a nice story and all, but he isn't the answer down there.

In typical Viking fashion though, we're going to win a meaningless game later this year that will knock us out of the Lawrence sweepstakes. Best we can hope for is the 2nd or 3rd QB taken.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I'm not trying to be negative, but I just don't think Trevor Lawrence is realistic for us. We are 6th in the current draft order and the teams ahead of us are terrible. We still play Jacksonville, Dallas with no QB, and Detroit twice. There's a decent chance the Jets may not win a single game.

I'm honestly starting to doubt that Justin Fields is even realistic for us. We will likely need the number 2 pick for Fields based on the way he played Saturday. He looked phenomenal.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

There is almost no chance that the Vikings get Lawrence. First of all, the Vikings already have one more win than the Jets will get. Yes, they will go 0-16. There is an outside chance of one win on their schedule. One. But even one win still has them beating us out for #1.

Add to that - the Vikings will win another game (I think closer to 4-5).

Lawrence isn't happening. Start thinking Fields. Although that isn't likely happening either. At this point, it's Lance or Z. Wilson. I prefer Z. Wilson. I know it's against the view of many but there is something there that can't be taught. He has the physical skills and the intangibles. And if the issue is that he has not played top competition, well, neither has Lance.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I think they need to finish bottom four to get one of the QBs. (I'm including the Mormon Manziel.) I can see them fucking it up and finishing seventh shittiest or something with some dumb wins at the end of the season for a real morale boost going into the offseason.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:48 am There is almost no chance that the Vikings get Lawrence. First of all, the Vikings already have one more win than the Jets will get. Yes, they will go 0-16. There is an outside chance of one win on their schedule. One. But even one win still has them beating us out for #1.

Lawrence isn't happening. Start thinking Fields. Although that isn't likely happening either. At this point, it's Lance or Z. Wilson. I prefer Z. Wilson. I know it's against the view of many but there is something there that can't be taught. He has the physical skills and the intangibles. And if the issue is that he has not played top competition, well, neither has Lance.
I 100% agree with you on Wilson. I would take him over Lance. I'm not saying he's Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson, but he definitely has a similar element of creativity to his game - Different arm angles, making crazy throws while rolling out of the pocket, accurate throws across the field, and general overall feel for the game.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
D_H

Post by D_H »

Jets look horrible we just have to hope he refuses to go there. Problem is the NFL wants a New York team to be good it’s just too much of a money maker.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

D_H wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:10 am Jets look horrible we just have to hope he refuses to go there. Problem is the NFL wants a New York team to be good it’s just too much of a money maker.
yeah, wouldn't that be something if he did refuse.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

D_H wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:10 am Jets look horrible we just have to hope he refuses to go there. Problem is the NFL wants a New York team to be good it’s just too much of a money maker.
I don't see that happening. Very few have refused to go to teams. Also, NY is a pretty good place to make money. If Lawrence makes the Jets great or even good, he will be beloved. There has been almost nobody to cast a shadow under which Lawrence would need to play.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 am
Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:48 am There is almost no chance that the Vikings get Lawrence. First of all, the Vikings already have one more win than the Jets will get. Yes, they will go 0-16. There is an outside chance of one win on their schedule. One. But even one win still has them beating us out for #1.

I 100% agree with you on Wilson. I would take him over Lance. I'm not saying he's Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson, but he definitely has a similar element of creativity to his game - Different arm angles, making crazy throws while rolling out of the pocket, accurate throws across the field, and general overall feel for the game.
Yes. We are of one mind on this. I fear that the Bears end up with Wilson at the bottom half of the 1st. That would be bad.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Chargers have the best QB from the 2020 class. They won't be in for Lawrence.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am
I don't see that happening. Very few have refused to go to teams. Also, NY is a pretty good place to make money. If Lawrence makes the Jets great or even good, he will be beloved. There has been almost nobody to cast a shadow under which Lawrence would need to play.
The reason would be that the Jets are a top to bottom awful organization and because of that, they have just ruined Sam Darnold.
They're always going to have the same shitty ownership, you have no idea if Joe Douglas is going to be a quality GM, and at this point I question their ability to bring in a quality coach.

There is only so much a QB can do if the rest of the organization sucks, and I think if ever there was a time when a QB is going to put their foot in the sand, it's here and now.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This doesn't even need to be a poll. The Jets could very easily go 0-16.

The real race for the Vikings is to get Justin Fields. They will still need to be top 2 or 3 for that.
Let's get Tropical
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am
The reason would be that the Jets are a top to bottom awful organization and because of that, they have just ruined Sam Darnold.
They're always going to have the same shitty ownership, you have no idea if Joe Douglas is going to be a quality GM, and at this point I question their ability to bring in a quality coach.

There is only so much a QB can do if the rest of the organization sucks, and I think if ever there was a time when a QB is going to put their foot in the sand, it's here and now.
Hey, it would be awesome. I just don't see it happening.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am

yeah I know it probably won't.
but man it would be awesome.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

Good points all around. When I watch Wilson's highlights I get the same feeling The Common Man did about Ponder, which is: "who is this receiver kid??"

Most of the Wilson highlights are going to #18.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Good points all around. When I watch Wilson's highlights I get the same feeling The Common Man did about Ponder, which is: "who is this receiver kid??"

You sure? I thought the same thing as you did but it was to Dax Milne who I think is #5. So if you are referring to Milne, then I completely see what you are saying.
CasualObserverGuy

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:25 pm

You sure? I thought the same thing as you did but it was to Dax Milne who I think is #5. So if you are referring to Milne, then I completely see what you are saying.
Different vids maybe then... lol. I did see 1 throw to #5. #18 has nice ups and could get those jump ball throws.

Either way, I think he looks decent, but damn those defenses are horrid he's playing against.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 pm
Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Different vids maybe then... lol. I did see 1 throw to #5. #18 has nice ups and could get those jump ball throws.

Either way, I think he looks decent, but damn those defenses are horrid he's playing against.
That is very true. He has played against very low level competition. That's why Lawrence and Fields are higher ranked. They play against the best.

But when comparing Wilson to Lance who also plays against bad defenses, I think I opt for Wilson. But then again, I am a froob who has watched very little of either.
CasualObserverGuy

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm
CasualObserverGuy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 pm

That is very true. He has played against very low level competition. That's why Lawrence and Fields are higher ranked. They play against the best.

But when comparing Wilson to Lance who also plays against bad defenses, I think I opt for Wilson. But then again, I am a froob who has watched very little of either.
Yeah, I have stated give me Lance, I think a dual threat QB is a huge advantage unless you have found the cerebral 2nd coming of Tom Brady, but I fear that a Trey Lance pick would be a Thielen 2.0 or God forbid a Joe Mauer 2.0 where the local kid gets a better deal than we ought to give them.
Chromazz
Eats shit.

Post by Chromazz »

We’re not going to have a top 5 pick.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Chromazz wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:18 pm We’re not going to have a top 5 pick.
Zimmer crumbled against falcons. Kirk's first throw was a INT. Don't lose hope. Also remember that QB position isn't going 1-5. We may still have a chance depending what we decide to give up.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

if he publicly said he doesn't want to go there, and we traded them or next 3, 1sts? That would be the only way we'd get him. I'd do it too. That's how bad I want a franchise QB.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:41 pm

if he publicly said he doesn't want to go there, and we traded them or next 3, 1sts? That would be the only way we'd get him. I'd do it too. That's how bad I want a franchise QB.
I haven’t watched much of Lawrence. I am basing it on what everyone says. If he is as good a prospect as everyone says, sure, he is worth three firsts. It’s really only two beyond this year. Granted, if you are wrong, you are really screwed.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:02 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I haven’t watched much of Lawrence. I am basing it on what everyone says. If he is as good a prospect as everyone says, sure, he is worth three firsts. It’s really only two beyond this year. Granted, if you are wrong, you are really screwed.
Or if he gets hurt. That's a heavy investment on two knees.

But I still do it. Worth the risk.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The Jets, Jaguars and Giants will all finish worse than the Vikings.

I say Cowboys and Patriots will have better records than the Vikings.

The rest are all bunched together in a toss up. I think Atlanta probably finishes better also and the Chargers will not be looking to take a QB.

Don't worry boys, the schedule starts to lighten up and we know how this group loves to beat nobodies.

I say Vikings finish with 5 wins. I see 4 total but they will probably win a game they are not supposed to when we don't want it.

If I'm the Wilfs I tell Rick and Zim if they want to keep their jobs, they need to be losing football games.

More of Rick trading away players who can help us win and more lame brain coaching calls like the Seahawks game. :thumbsup:

I don't want any QB in RD#1 but Lawrence, Fields and Lance. I'm 50/50 on Lance but if he's there, I'm taking him.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

They have to be thinking about shutting Cook down at some point, right?

I mean you just handed this china doll a huge contract for the future.

Putting wear on him during this lost season is absolutely pointless.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master