Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rumor: Thielen to Pats trade...

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Rumor: Thielen to Pats trade...

Post by cunningham »

Adam Thielen
Last week, Fox’s First Things First’s Nick Wright suggested the New England Patriots chase the Minnesota Vikings’ Adam Thielen to fill an obvious hole at the wide receiver position. Admittedly, Wright said he was creating the link, but he went on to explain why it would make sense for the Patriots.

Follow the Heavy on Patriots Facebook page for the latest breaking news, rumors, and content!

Adam Thielen is a “Patriot-Esque” Option

According to Wright, Thielen is the kind of player who would seemingly fit in with the Patriots. Wright said:

I’m gonna throw another name at you who probably seems more Patriot-esque as far as their history with skill-position guys. I wonder if Adam Thielen’s available. That team (Minnesota) stinks. They need draft picks. He’s on a very reasonable contract.

Thielen Has Made a Living Being a Dependable Option in the Passing Game

Thielen got a huge raise in 2020. His salary jumped from an $805,000 base to $4.8 million. That said, there is an out for 2021, which could mean a team could be free of him after this season. That’s likely an attractive option for the Patriots because they don’t like to commit to most players over the long haul.

The 30-year-old Thielen is very productive when healthy. After missing six games in 2019, he’s come back strong.

So far this season, he has 32 receptions for 415 yards and seven touchdowns. As good as Thielen has been this year and in 2017 and 2018 when he eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark, it hasn’t resulted in many wins for Minnesota. The Vikings are a woeful 1-5 to start the season. Because of that, there is a strong chance the team could be looking to trade away its assets before the deadline on Week 3.

Thielen is one of the team’s best players, but he is 30, and based on how far away from contention they appear to be, it would seem he could be a prime candidate to be headed to a contender.

If the Patriots were able to swing such a deal, pencil him in as the automatic No. 1 target for Cam Newton in the passing game.

Not Everyone is a Believer in the Validity of This Deal

While Patriots fans and potentially Thielen might rejoice at the thought of this kind of deal taking place, there are some pundits who scoff at the thought. Mitchell Hansen of Fan Sided calls it unrealistic:

Hansen said:

There is no question that Minnesota is struggling to start the year, currently sitting at 1-5 overall and looking to be a team looking to sell prior to the trade deadline to focus more on the future and creating salary cap space. But unless the Vikings are looking to completely clean house and fully shed personnel on the team to start fresh, they won’t trade away one if not the top player on the offensive side of the ball.

As consistent as Thielen has been for the Vikings, it’s hard to imagine the team making him an untouchable, especially with the emergence of Justin Jefferson. Maybe he doesn’t land with the Patriots, but a Thielen is anything but unrealistic.
Heavy.com

But he is from Detroit Lakes!
Sid Hartman

Re: Rumor: Thielen to Pats trade...

Post by Sid Hartman »

Doubt Bill gives up picks in a lost season for them
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:40 pm Doubt Bill gives up picks in a lost season for them
I'm sure Rick will send picks to BB instead.
Lampin'
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

So it isn’t a rumor. Someone suggested that it made sense.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:40 pm Doubt Bill gives up picks in a lost season for them
A. Scam Newton is his qb. Or maybe was. They don't need a receiver.
B. End thread.

Ya, BB ain't giving up anything for an older receiver in a season they don't need him.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I'd love it, but doubt it happens.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

This is what you believe the word "rumor" to mean?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Re: rumor

Let's get Tropical
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

With Beckham out, Cleveland makes more sense. Can we get a 2nd rd pick?

I would hate to see Thielen be traded but reality has set in... it will be 2 or 3 years until this team is no longer shit. Thielen will be past his prime at that point.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Thielen is the #1 red zone target in the league this year.
https://www.nfl.com/news/adam-thielen-d ... ne-threats

Red-zone production: 6 rec. TDs, 8 catches on 8 targets, 72 rec. yards.

In his first season as a starter without Stefon Diggs as his running mate, Adam Thielen has fully grown into a No. 1 receiver -- and the seventh-year pro is making his money in the red zone, with a perfect eight receptions on eight targets for 72 yards and a league-best six receiving touchdowns. Speaking of money, the Kirk Cousins-Thielen connection is straight cash, homie. Thielen has helped Cousins produce a success rate of 66.7 on all red-zone targets, good for the best rate in the NFL, along with a total red-zone line of 15-of-21 for 134 yards and eight TD passes. Thielen has thrived by being unpredictable and also versatile, catching one or more red-zone touchdowns on five different route types (out, corner, cross, go and post), tying with Bucs receiver Mike Evans for the most routes with one or more red-zone TDs. Thielen is a perfect six for six on red-zone targets when aligned out wide, turning five of those targets into touchdowns.

Thielen's overall production might be tough to predict, with the receiver logging 51 receiving yards or less in three games and 80 or more in three. But he's a lock to make a difference inside the 20.

Thielen is going to still be good for a looooong time.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:12 pm Thielen is the #1 red zone target in the league this year.

In his first season as a starter without Stefon Diggs as his running mate, Adam Thielen has fully grown into a No. 1 receiver -- and the seventh-year pro is making his money in the red zone, with a perfect eight receptions on eight targets for 72 yards and a league-best six receiving touchdowns. Speaking of money, the Kirk Cousins-Thielen connection is straight cash, homie. Thielen has helped Cousins produce a success rate of 66.7 on all red-zone targets, good for the best rate in the NFL, along with a total red-zone line of 15-of-21 for 134 yards and eight TD passes. Thielen has thrived by being unpredictable and also versatile, catching one or more red-zone touchdowns on five different route types (out, corner, cross, go and post), tying with Bucs receiver Mike Evans for the most routes with one or more red-zone TDs. Thielen is a perfect six for six on red-zone targets when aligned out wide, turning five of those targets into touchdowns.

Thielen's overall production might be tough to predict, with the receiver logging 51 receiving yards or less in three games and 80 or more in three. But he's a lock to make a difference inside the 20.

focus on him getting a red zone TD on 5 different routes.
receivers like that do not age out until much later. just see cris carter and larry fitzgerald.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:24 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:12 pm Thielen is the #1 red zone target in the league this year.

receivers like that do not age out until much later. just see cris carter and larry fitzgerald.
I don’t know that you can bank on Thielen being productive as a starter until age 35-36 like CC and Larry.

But that being said, I do agree, that Thielen’s game isn’t predicated on pure athleticism that will decline in the coming years, and so I could easily see him being very good for a few more seasons for sure.

However, at this point, if a team was willing to give up a high draft pick, it might be hard to resist depending on what that looks like.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:27 pm

I don’t know that you can bank on Thielen being productive as a starter until age 35-36 like CC and Larry.

But that being said, I do agree, that Thielen’s game isn’t predicated on pure athleticism that will decline in the coming years, and so I could easily see him being very good for a few more seasons for sure.

However, at this point, if a team was willing to give up a high draft pick, it might be hard to resist depending on what that looks like.
but for a guy signed through 2024 and with us being a team that could have $100M in available cash come 2022, he's not a guy I need to move on from. we don't need the cap space that much.

I'm not moving that for a 2nd rd pick.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:18 am This is what you believe the word "rumor" to mean?
:lol:
hategreenticemase

Arent you the one who got me to change my mind on keeping Thielen? Or maybe it was Oriole.

Its really similar to Smith for me. Precision (in route running), smarts, and his contested catch ability is what makes him a no brainer to be a good #2 wr for 4-5 years. Someone made the case you want the rookie qb coming in with two quality receivers, and they were right, that sold me. He wont cost a lot, will be great with younger receivers and he will be productive ESPECIALLY when Jefferson so clearly will be the ones teams begin focusing on as times goes on.

I completely changed my mind from willing to entertain moving him to I absolutely keep him, short of a silly unexpected offer like we got for Diggs.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Arent you the one who got me to change my mind on keeping Thielen? Or maybe it was Oriole.

Its really similar to Smith for me. Precision (in route running), smarts, and his contested catch ability is what makes him a no brainer to be a good #2 wr for 4-5 years. Someone made the case you want the rookie qb coming in with two quality receivers, and they were right, that sold me. He wont cost a lot, will be great with younger receivers and he will be productive ESPECIALLY when Jefferson so clearly will be the ones teams begin focusing on as times goes on.

I completely changed my mind from willing to entertain moving him to I absolutely keep him, short of a silly unexpected offer like we got for Diggs.
Wasn’t me, I don’t think.

Again, it’s all about what you could get in return.

If someone offers their first rounder or an early second, I would consider it.

That’s different than me saying, “Thielen is old, let’s look to get rid of him.”
hategreenticemase

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:04 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Wasn’t me, I don’t think.

Again, it’s all about what you could get in return.

If someone offers their first rounder or an early second, I would consider it.

That’s different than me saying, “Thielen is old, let’s look to get rid of him.”
I agree a first would be hard to turn down....
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Not a fan. If we are going to entertain new QB drafting, keep the good and reliable weaponry.
-

Got Root?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:26 am Re: rumor

:clap:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.